• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
So I got all the "main" endings

wat.

still what a ride.
Now I can all in on P5 and not feel bad.

GOTY for sure.

Now you get to have it sit in your thoughts for awhile lol

I'm going to end up being the one person who takes longer on Route B than Route A.

The biggest reason is that I left a ton of sidequests unfinished because I didn't figure out their solutions. But also, I find myself
hacking
all the enemies that I didn't bother to fight on Route A just because it's more efficient. And because I'm pretty sure this has a much higher drop rate for chips.

And is it weird to just like
hacking
more than combat?

I'm now trying to build a collection of high-tier diamond chips, because it feels like there's basically no risk of dying on this route. (Well, maybe when I revisit that second animal care quest...)

You're definitely in the minority. I loved
hacking, but give me 2B's combat over it any day. Except for those machine worm things. I fucking hate them, and hacking them is the only efficient way to kill them.

In anticipation of tomorrow's special live stream and the likely possibility of DLC being announced, what are everyone's hopes for what DLC would include?

I personally don't know what post-ending story there is left to be told that wouldn't just detract from its emotional impact, so I'm hoping it's stuff
that covers the events of the A2 stage play before we meet her

Worst case scenario would be what the Coliseum files seemed to imply (narrative-free battle arenas).

What are you hoping to hear?

Golnei

In anticipation of tomorrow's special live stream and the likely possibility of DLC being announced, what are everyone's hopes for what DLC would include?

I personally don't know what post-ending story there is left to be told that wouldn't just detract from its emotional impact, so I'm hoping it's stuff

Worst case scenario would be what the Coliseum files seemed to imply (narrative-free battle arenas).

Something focusing on
A2
would be the most obvious choice, but I'd rather a new story that takes place between YoRHa and Automata rather than retelling the play.
Involving Anemone to some extent would be essential, as it'd allow them to contrast their experiences of survivor's guilt - how she was able to find some kind of purpose leading the Resistance in Rose's place, while A2 desperately wants to die in battle and join those who sacrificed themselves.

And non-infected, non-rogue YoRHa E-types would also allow for interesting enemy encounters that reuse existing assets - enemies with access to Pod programs, flight units (which were simple but decent enough enemies the one time we got to fight them on foot) and multiple weapon sets; along with setpieces with YoRHa units fighting machines as well as trying to attack you would be fun.

It'd allow them to continue exploring parts of the game's themes while delving into two underdeveloped characters - especially if they work in play-only material like the YoRHa units' false human memories.

Ferr986

Honestly, I wouldn't like if it's post game, or based on any character. Nier 1 DLC wasn't very good but I liked that it was focused more on the background story (even if it was so criptic and almost imposible to understand lol), so I would like to them to try it again
focus more on the overall story of androids and machines learning human emotions, or how the Yohra came to be, like Golney said.

Don't ask me how because I dunno lol but I think Nier:A is already too much centered on it's characters and puts aside the background story (to be fair, Nier 1 was the same).

Aww C'mon!
Spent a good four or five hours playing the post Ending B story, only to get an ending out of the blue because I mistimed a jump. Game sent me right back to the start of whatever route this is.

2A has to rush to Pascal's village. I did a crap jump and ended up falling into the crater in the centre of the city. Game informs me that 2A went on a walk while the village burnt down. The end.

Hadn't actually lost progress like that before and I honestly assumed that it saved every time you interacted with one of the fast travel points. I mean, what good is calling it auto save when it doesn't save automatically?

That's some monumentally disrespectful shit right there.

Hektor

Hadn't actually lost progress like that before and I honestly assumed that it saved every time you interacted with one of the fast travel points. I mean, what good is calling it auto save when it doesn't save automatically?

???

C6kIjkZXUAAx4LQ.jpg

Lol, they ask you "Are you sure?" like 4 times. Your old data is probably still on the cloud though.

I thought it was some kinda Yoko Taro mindfuck, the multiple questions pushing you away were actually to goad you into doing it, felt like I was gonna miss out on something wild if I didn't go with it. Siiiiiiigh!

That was both 30+ hours ago and I thought it was just some some cute thing they came up for the prologue section.

That said... I now realise that, in my frustration, I'm misremembering Quick-Save as Auto save. Sorry about that.

Still a bit of a boot to the head, even if it's all my fault in the end.

? They call it quick save, not auto save. You still need to press it.
I know. I know. Realising this now.
Made an embarrassment of myself. :(

gngf123

? They call it quick save, not auto save. You still need to press it.

Ferr986

Finished route A and I was let down by the hype surrounding this game. I'll continue to see how the story unfold.

Route A is pretty bad compared to C, mainly because it loses steam quickly after the first intriguing hours. Keep going is basically a must for these games, because the first ending is not everything that there's in the story.

gngf123

Question. I'm probably 70% through Route B. Are routes C,D, & E all shorter than the first two?

Route C isn't much shorter, it'll take 9-10 hours if you do the few new sidequests. Those hours are amazing though.

D and E are really short

Finished route A and I was let down by the hype surrounding this game. I'll continue to see how the story unfold.

If the game stopped at route A, it wouldn't get the praise it has received. Route C and beyond did that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm enjoying this but I feel like there's some...character inconsistency that's bothering me?
I just
went through the castle, in which 9S is adamant that the machines can't feel emotions as complex as loyalty. But then immedietly after he asks that you talk to Pascal about the other android because she might know something. I feel like the presence of the peaceful machine village led by an articulate machine should be causing more...pressing questioning of their assumptions?

Finishing up Route B, and
the final phase of Eve is really annoying. It was bad the first time around and not much better the 2nd time. I don't see how taking away your movement is meant to be fun at all (and you can't even hack during that phase). When you can play through pretty much the whole game and never die but a single phase of a boss kills you 4 or 5 times there's something wrong with the balance.

i'm midway through route B but trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if these are common questions....

1. I triggered the ending sequence (unintentionally) in route A and didn't finish a handful of sidequests. are they gone forever? do they repeat in other routes? i talked to one NPC in route B and she thanked me for helping her in route A, so it seems like there's some sort of continuity...?

2. Do i need to go out of my way to find sidequests? in route B i've only gotten like two so far.

3. Do i need to do anything other than just keep going through the routes and doing sidequests i come across to experience the full game?

Sorry for the basic questions, but i was a little let down by route A, partially due to the side quests becoming unavailable, and i'm worried i'm not playing the game the "right" way and experiencing everything.

Roubjon

i'm midway through route B but trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if these are common questions....

1. I triggered the ending sequence (unintentionally) in route A and didn't finish a handful of sidequests. are they gone forever? do they repeat in other routes? i talked to one NPC in route B and she thanked me for helping her in route A, so it seems like there's some sort of continuity...?

2. Do i need to go out of my way to find sidequests? in route B i've only gotten like two so far.

3. Do i need to do anything other than just keep going through the routes and doing sidequests i come across to experience the full game?

Sorry for the basic questions, but i was a little let down by route A, partially due to the side quests becoming unavailable, and i'm worried i'm not playing the game the "right" way and experiencing everything.

You can't miss anything so worry about it. Just play how you wanna play and it'll be clear. You can experience the full game just by doing whatever side quests you want.

The game goes way out of its way to tell you there's no auto save...pretty sure I saw the message pop up warning you about it 2 or 3 times and there's even an NPC that will tell you the exact same thing. I almost thought it was going overboard with making that clear, but apparently not.

Kaizer

Banned
I'n currently on Route C & just had a random thought about the online component of this game. Is Playstation Plus required for the online features to work? I've heard there might be upcoming segments where having an online connection is advisable.

I'm about an hour or two into Route C and most of the reviews / previews I read did a really bad job of explaining the multiple playthroughs thing.
Pretty much everything I read said, "oh, you have to play through the game 5 times to get the full story". They mentioned that things change quite a bit in later playthroughs, but I never got the impression that C would literally be an entirely new campaign with a new playable character. It seems like it's more the 2nd half of the game, not just another playthrough. I wonder how many people avoided the game because people didn't spell that out very well.

Ubernube

Honestly, I wouldn't like if it's post game, or based on any character.

Knowing Yoko, regardless of whether or not the DLC does post game content, chances are there'll be something that takes place after the events of this game. Yoko's supplementary material tends to cover events from before, during, and after the events of his games so they run the full gambit of where things can fall, so it's best to keep an eye out for these if one is desperate to know more or just see more of the characters, or ignore them if you're not.

I think post ending dlc COULD work, but mainly by focusing on characters not really focused on much in the game proper, like Anemone, Jackass, and maybe A2 to a degree. Having it star 2B and 9S again would just be milking shit since the story basically did everything that could be done with those two, not much else left to explore there. Except if it's T-shirt date DLC. I'm willing to get milked for that.

I'm iffy they'd ever do dlc based on the stage play, since Yoko doesn't like revisiting things he's already done, and doing justice to the stage play would require a lot of unique asset creation, particularly since characters like Anemone or Jackass could easily be explored in dlc that doesn't require such drastic amounts of asset creation

Memnoch

Hey guys, I'm having an issue on the roller coaster in the amusement park. No matter how many times I ride it I can't get off for the boss fight. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Going in with realistic expectations, I would be happy with DLC that's the same idea as Nier's: gratuitously hard combat challenges with bare-bones "story" told as cheaply and vaguely as possible. With, of course, remixes of the best selections from the soundtrack.

But, yeah, I would not expect "story" DLC in any conventional sense.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm about an hour or two into Route C and most of the reviews / previews I read did a really bad job of explaining the multiple playthroughs thing.
Pretty much everything I read said, "oh, you have to play through the game 5 times to get the full story". They mentioned that things change quite a bit in later playthroughs, but I never got the impression that C would literally be an entirely new campaign with a new playable character. It seems like it's more the 2nd half of the game, not just another playthrough. I wonder how many people avoided the game because people didn't spell that out very well.

No one expected it, and people don't want to ruin the surprise

Hey guys, I'm having an issue on the roller coaster in the amusement park. No matter how many times I ride it I can't get off for the boss fight. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Yoko Taro's wild ride.

Moaradin

Didn't Drakengard 3 have pretty significant story DLC for characters? Would be dope to get something like that, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll take anything at this point. More reason to play the game again is enough for me.

Hektor

Didn't Drakengard 3 have pretty significant story DLC for characters? Would be dope to get something like that, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll take anything at this point. More reason to play the game again is enough for me.

I wouldn't say significant since they don't really show you anything really important (Or interesting, with the exception of two's), but it was 6 2-3 hour long story dlc, one for each intoner.

But the only thing the dlc's did was putting in a few new cutscenes and lines of dialogue, everything else was 99% recycled content from the basegame, wether it was areas, bosses, weapons or characters

I would want to hold Nier Automata to higher standards if there's gonna be actual story DLC, but higher standards would probably mean we'd get only one 2-3 hour story DLC.

That said, i don't believe we get any high effort story DLC's at all, the most i can imagine is something like recycled vessel with some lengthy novel segments in between (Which i wouldn't say no to tbqh)

jett

D-Member
Yass finished it with endings ABCDEIW

Totally fucking awesome. Judging it after Route A was dumb.

I wanted more
Emil though. I love Emil! So glad I played with English voices.
:p

LotusHD

Banned

I wanted more

Yes, yes it is. Though I don't blame people for doing so I guess. You realize you spent 15+ hours on a game and see the credits roll, one can't help but reflect on how they felt about the game so far.

Zetta

I just arrived in the
Machine Village
and I'm feeling so fucking shitting just killing regular enemies..... this game man. What I want more than anything right now is a model of a Small Stubby with a shield, thing is so adorable.

gngf123

I wanted more

Have you done the Emil sidequests?

You should do ending Y.

Top Bottom