• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll stick it through.

It seems like
9s' gameplay is just hacking and I hate the hacking mini game. Can I just run around and avoid them?

Equip a levelled up spear. You'll OHKO little stubs without hacking. It makes it much more manageable.

Adding on to this, the Spear of the Usurper in particular is a monster. Crit spear throws are a thing of beauty.

Kvik

This "red riding hood" quest line is a punch in the gut.

Also, I fell in love with the soundtrack in Pascal's village. Where can I purchase the album digitally in a lossless format? Other than Apple iTunes of course.

This "red riding hood" quest line is a punch in the gut.

Also, I fell in love with the soundtrack in Pascal's village. Where can I purchase the album digitally in a lossless format? Other than Apple iTunes of course.

You can get the MP3 of the OST off Amazon but that is the only other place I know digitally...

Kvik

You can get the MP3 of the OST off Amazon but that is the only other place I know digitally...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've checked the Amazon page for it, but I can't tell if they are at least 320kbps, and/or CBR/VBR :-\

That's why I prefer lossless so that I can re-encode it on my own if need be.

I've checked the Amazon page for it, but I can't tell if they are at least 320kbps, and/or CBR/VBR :-\

Yeah... I can't speak to it being lossless or not.

I want to say it isn't but I haven't downloaded an album from Amazon in awhile. I got this on CD to nab the hacking tracks disc as well.

Sami+

I'm looking in the properties right now, the bitrate varies per song, somewhere between 250-300 it looks like. It doesn't sound great honestly, if there's a higher quality version out there I'd love a link. I already bought on Amazon.

Amazon MP3s are 256 kbps VBR.

Honestly, the market for lossless digital music is still basically limited to indies and the audiophile genres. For this you'd have to buy the CDs.

Kvik

$19 USD to ship to Australia from CDJapan with full tracking and insurance. Not as bad as I expected.

What's bad, hovever, is that the 4th CD seems to be out of stock :-\

Mikey Jr.

Just beat the game. Got all endings. Never played a nier game before.

This is one of those games I will remember forever. The way it starts from the beginning to the way it all finishes in the end.

I can't get it out my head. It is a beautiful game. It's also filled with so much sadness.

JCG

And this game is arguably less sad than the original nier. :p

Well, that's certainly a matter of perspective. Even after all the revelations, I feel that the hope at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, was arguably brighter in that case than in this one. I can definitely see other people arguing otherwise though, on a character level.

So the music during the
final Emil quest
is like, breaking my headphones.

Halfway through the fight the right ear just made a static sound and turned off, and I thought it had broken.

Paused the game, plugged it into the laptop and booted up a youtube vid, works fine.

Plug it back into PS4, big static explosion out of the same ear.

Went into the options settings and adjusted sound options, every time I move the music to 0 it starts working perfectly again, and as soon as I move it up a tiny bit it breaks.

Really weird bug. Ruined the moment too.

Gonna just finish it off with the TV speakers I guess.

Edit: Ok it fucks up the TV speakers even worse, guess I just gotta put up with it.

Edit 2:
Got ending Y first time, then it went through glitch free second time around.

Looking for some help from JapanGAF after watching the livestream from yesterday:
I'm living in Osaka right now and they announced that there is going to be a Nier Automata concert in Osaka to which I would really, REALLY like to go to, but my Japanese is rather bad (especially reading Kanji), so I wanted to ask if someone could help me and tell me where I might be able to get a ticket. I think they are giving the information on he second slide regarding the concerts, but I'm not sure and find them giving dates like the 5/5 or 24/4 (one day after the concert) confusing.

Here's the part of the livestream where they start talking about the concert.

Can someone please help me poor exchange student out :D?

Damn, went to look for the bunker music to have on in the background and the title of the song is a total spoiler.

Worst, I read the comments and figured out WHY it's a spoiler. I hope this doesn't take away my enjoyment of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
Damn, went to look for the bunker music to have on in the background and the title of the song is a total spoiler.

Worst, I read the comments and figured out WHY it's a spoiler. I hope this doesn't take away my enjoyment of the game.

What were you spoiled on exactly regarding the bolded?

duckroll

Looking for some help from JapanGAF after watching the livestream from yesterday:
I'm living in Osaka right now and they announced that there is going to be a Nier Automata concert in Osaka to which I would really, REALLY like to go to, but my Japanese is rather bad (especially reading Kanji), so I wanted to ask if someone could help me and tell me where I might be able to get a ticket. I think they are giving the information on he second slide regarding the concerts, but I'm not sure and find them giving dates like the 5/5 or 24/4 (one day after the concert) confusing.

Here's the part of the livestream where they start talking about the concert.

Can someone please help me poor exchange student out :D?

Sorry but you're out of luck. They announced it some time back, there's only one performance in Osaka at the Dojima River Forum this Sunday. The other two are in Tokyo. All tickets sold out some time back.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/nier/concert2017/

Ah, well don't worry, it's actually not really a big deal as you think it is, and there are other far more interesting things going on that you definitely want to avoid getting spoiled on.

Good to know. I'm really enjoying the game so I doubt this story knowledge will hurt it.

I find the game incredibly relaxing to play for some reason.

Sorry but you're out of luck. They announced it some time back, there's only one performance in Osaka at the Dojima River Forum this Sunday. The other two are in Tokyo. All tickets sold out some time back.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/nier/concert2017/
Ah crap, I really wanted to see that, the videos of the live performances are insane, shame ;;_;;.

Thanks for letting me know Duckroll, at least now I won't run around panicking and desperately trying to get a ticket ;-).

chrono01

Ah crap, I really wanted to see that, the videos of the live performances are insane, shame ;;_;;.

Thanks for letting me know Duckroll, at least now I won't run around panicking and desperately trying to get a ticket ;-).
If you can't attend in-person, you can do what I'm going to do and purchase Live-Stream tickets through NicoNico. You need a NicoNico account, but it's free (unless you opt to go for Premium), and the concert prices are only 2,000 yen for first showing or 3,000 yen for both. The only difference, I can see, between the two performances are the start times. One starts around noon while the other is early evening (same day). I'll probably just grab the afternoon showing, since it's better for me time-wise (since that'll be evening where I live, and not early morning).

It takes place on May 5th (JST). More information can be found here.

https://secure.live.nicovideo.jp/event/nier0505

duckroll

There are slightly different VA guests at each performance. That's all. They're Japanese VA too, so it doesn't mean much for those who played the game in English.

chrono01

There are slightly different VA guests at each performance. That's all. They're Japanese VA too, so it doesn't mean much for those who played the game in English.
Oh nice, thanks!

Do you know if 2B's VA (Kiko Mizuhara) is at either of the performances? I played with Japanese VO, since I love that VA in-particular (she also voiced Mikasa from Attack on Titan). If so, I might go for that one. I can't seem to find mention of any concrete details in the listings. :/

duckroll

Oh nice, thanks!

Do you know if 2B's VA (Kiko Mizuhara) is at either of the performances? I played with Japanese VO, since I love that VA in-particular (she also voiced Mikasa from Attack on Titan). If so, I might go for that one. I can't seem to find mention of any concrete details in the listings. :/

She's not listed, so if she shows up it'll be a surprise I guess.

The listed VA guests who are rotating in the four Tokyo screenings are:

5/4 Day - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Hiroki Yasumoto
5/4 Night - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Ayaka Suwa
5/5 Day - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Hiroki Yasumoto
5/5 Night - Yui Ishikawa, Hiroki Yasumoto, Kaoru Akiyama

chrono01

She's not listed, so if she shows up it'll be a surprise I guess.

The listed VA guests who are rotating in the four Tokyo screenings are:

5/4 Day - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Hiroki Yasumoto
5/4 Night - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Ayaka Suwa
5/5 Day - Yui Ishikawa, Natsuki Hanae, Hiroki Yasumoto
5/5 Night - Yui Ishikawa, Hiroki Yasumoto, Kaoru Akiyama
Awesome, thanks so much for the information!

Honestly, I'll probably grab both showings anyway. I might want to watch the concert live twice, the music is THAT good. Also, it's just another 1,000 yen for both, that's not too bad.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I only started the game few hours ago, coming from Zelda it was a big shock honestly, I don't know what I expected after all the good positive buzz around this title. That said I have a question: because I'm finding the sidequests to be a chore, both in playing and in rewards/storywriting, is it better to skip through them all and focus on the main story or there are surprises among them best not skip? Also is there a point of no return where I cannot go back completing them?

thanks

I only started the game few hours ago, coming from Zelda it was a big shock honestly, I don't know what I expected after all the good positive buzz around this title. That said I have a question: because I'm finding the sidequests to be a chore, both in playing and in rewards/storywriting, is it better to skip through them all and focus on the main story or there are surprises among them best not skip? Also is there a point of no return where I cannot go back completing them?

thanks

You can't permanently miss quests. There will be a way for you to go back and do them when you are close to the very end of the game. If you don't want to wait until then, the point of no return in A and B routes is when you do a main quest related to
missiles

Some of them are indeed great in storytelling. I would definitely recommend Stamp Collecting, YorHa Betrayers, Retrieve the Confidential Intel, Wandering Couple, Lost Girl and Amnesia as standouts. Others are good too, though. I will probably type up a definitive list when I'm finished with the game

gngf123

thanks

Have you got to fast travel yet? If not, just mainline it until you do.

There are little story snippets and worldbuilding in some of them, and some big chunks of story in a few others, but you can always go back to them. There's also a couple of quests which mostly give extra story payoff late-game.

There's a list somewhere with like 10-15 quests with good payoffs that makes for a good starting point. IIRC that list doesn't include the small quests in Pascal's village though, which I think it really should.

There is a soft "point of no return". When you come across a really badly flooded area you'll know it is coming. You will gain access to your quests again later, but any multi-stage quests you've been focusing on you'll want to complete first.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

thanks

I recommend find a present and data analysis freak also as sidequests to do. Their story payoff further into the game is really worth it!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I played the demo the other day. I felt it was way too short and didn't really help me decide if I want to buy the game or not. Is the demo part of the game or separate? It was fun I guess but not sure how the skill/chip system works.

Hektor

I played the demo the other day. I felt it was way too short and didn't really help me decide if I want to buy the game or not. Is the demo part of the game or separate? It was fun I guess but not sure how the skill/chip system works.

It's the first Area of the game.

Honestly, the demo isn't all too representative of the experience, the full game is heavier on RPG aspects and the leveldesign a bit less linear for the most part.

The skill chip system is like a passive upgrade system, you have x amount of slotpoints and you can slot chips into it, everyone of which takes up a specific amount of slotpoints.

Chips range from defensive buffs to, shockwave's coming off the weapons and even bayonetta's witchtime.

Honestly, if you are unsure wether to buy it or not, watch a YT video of the first or so hour of the game after you leave the tutorial area, since the demo, isn't all that representative

schlew

Just a little confused a couple of hours in. I was following a mission that led me to the
desert
area, and when I was there it had a bunch of circular red areas on the map for me to investigate. However, an enemy with a
mask
popped out of the sand and I followed him to a
boss fight
. I returned to the Resistance Camp and saved. Now the game is giving me another mission. Did I screw up and now unable to do that earlier mission in the
desert
? Or was it always intended for me to
follow that one enemy
?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just a little confused a couple of hours in. I was following a mission that led me to the
desert
area, and when I was there it had a bunch of circular red areas on the map for me to investigate. However, an enemy with a
mask
boss fight
. I returned to the Resistance Camp and saved. Now the game is giving me another mission. Did I screw up and now unable to do that earlier mission in the
desert
follow that one enemy
?

You did good. Don't worry about it.

desert
mask
boss fight
desert
follow that one enemy
?

That one enemy who runs away
is the critical path. The other
circles are just optional battles against regular enemies who shout a few lines. I really enjoy the robot voice acting so they are nice to do
but you really didn't miss much

Route C question:

Can someone explain why Devola and Popola were to blame for humanity's extinction? I kind of loss the thread when the text was like "they weren't directly responsible,
but it was still their fault" I'll head to the spoiler thread when I finish up D and E but this part was super unclear to me

Top Bottom