• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Ascheroth

The game is pretty savaged in Steam reviews because of these port issues, and it's dipped to "mostly positive" down from "positive" since the last time I looked (which I'm pretty sure was at overwhelmingly positive at some point). If the reviews get low enough and the overall score keeps dropping, would this make Square respond?
Actually many of the negative reviews are because of the completely botched asian release.
Aka "you get this game later than everyone else because we want to give you a chinese translation (not everyone in asia speaks chinese to begin with)... but joke's on you if you actually believe us, because we only meant the PS4 version with that and the PC version gets nothing extra at all, but has to release after the asian PS4 version because we say so (or Sony)."
Yes, the asian PC release was delayed for a month just so that it could release after the PS4 version while they got the exact same game es the rest of the world.

I'm not affected by this, but Square Enix deserves much more shit for those horrendous business practices then they do get right now. Just a shame that they used this game to show off that retards run the company.

Coreda

Sadly the dev never made any samples and it uses only one core. I wanted to reduce the size so it can be smaller on my SSD.

Any way I can somewhat... Move the game to the SSD but movie files are read from the HDD?

Symlinks would probably work. Here's an overview. It creates a kind of virtual shortcut-like file that points to the actual file in another location, but which is seamless to the program reading it.

Hylian7

Slightly necro-bump, but I've just now gotten around to playing this game and actually going to finish my first ending, and do the others. I got to a certain point in my first playthrough where I saw a thing (after Copied City)
The core with the swarm of machines is going over the city.
It dropped my framerate to single digits. I realize I don't have the most updated PC on the block, but mine should certainly do better than that.

Thank god for FAR. I tried it and instantly got better when I turned Global Illumination down, however there was one thing that confused me. This guide on Reddit said something about setting it from 64 to 16: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/60yzvg/nierautomata_on_pc_now_has_a_beta_release_of/

I didn't see anything with numbers, just low, medium, high, ultra, etc. Regardless, moving it to the second lowest level had a huge improvement in framerate. I'm looking into turning other settings up, which ones are the most taxing from the in-game settings? (Other than resolution of course)

Coreda

I didn't see anything with numbers, just low, medium, high, ultra, etc. Regardless, moving it to the second lowest level had a huge improvement in framerate. I'm looking into turning other settings up, which ones are the most taxing from the in-game settings? (Other than resolution of course)

Just a performance tip, if you haven't already you can try disabling the dedicated anti-aliasing option since enabling the ambient occlusion option adds its own AA (plus having them both enabled causes some edge color fringing).

Ascheroth

Was thinking about getting this game for pc. Are those performance reports for real? Thats atrocious.
Eh, the performance is entirely in line with the console versions. Remember this is a game that needs the Pro to run at 1080p.
I was running it just fine at 1080p60 and a little ReShade post-processing with a 290, without fiddling with FAR or anything else, just borderless fullscreen.

The bigger problem is that if you're unlucky you could have a card that doesn't run the game at all because of crashes, and Square doesn't seem to give a single shit.

Ascheroth

I just upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1070 and im getting max FPS now (60fps) compared to the 35fps i got before upgrading.
You probably had AA enabled in that case, since the game uses MSAA which is expensive as fuck. The AO option comes with its own post-processing AA which is good enough.
Like I said, I was running it at 1080p/60 with a 290 and that card isn't as fast as a 970. Unless you were running it on a higher resolution.

Hoo boy I should've known better than to buy this game. A game releasing in this state is a fucking embarrassment. Turning off that global illumination did wonders. The fact that this game practically requires a mod is laughable. Not a mod to get 4k 144hz or something but a mod to fix basic issues like the screen portraying in 4:3. The game actually forces my 144hz to run at 60hz even after I've exited the game. I pretty much have to disconnect my monitor or restart windows in order to fix it. Also it's pretty poorly optimized as well. My gpu fan isn't even kicking on. Doesn't matter if the ps4 pro is required to run this game at 1080p. My 970 has been running modern games at medium to high settings at 1440p. And that's mainly because I want those extra fps above 60 for my 144hz monitor. No reason it should struggle as much with nier with all the settings turned down or off through mods.

After playing around for a few hours last night I found somewhat of a work around. Its not ideal but I'm playing it through steamlink which always displays the game in full screen on my tv even if its windowed on my pc which may be helping me avoid those native full screen issues. I had the white screen show up while under normal play as well but so far on steamlink zero issues.
And yet I still have to make a good amount of graphical sacrifices to get this game running at a constant 60 fps at 1080p. Absolutely ridiculous.

sfried

I have a question about the FAR texture cache: Does turning it off improve the stuttering, or is this really a case-by-case basis thing? I seem to have had it on the whole time with its default value of 2048 MiB, and only noticed stuttering during the intense last boss fight of ending A or any of the desrt areas where there is immense amounts of alpha effects. I also have a R9 Nano (50+ Power) with 4GB so was wondering if I should crank up the texture cache, or just turn it off entirely?

Also how do I activate Durante's godray fix?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also how do I activate Durante's godray fix?

Select "Native res." under "Bloom" in FAR's configuration menu.

Has the game been patched lots since release? I couldn't get it running 60fps with everything set to low (1070 card too).

The small patch that was pushed through shortly before the release of the DLC is the only update thus far and Squeenix hasn't uploaded a new build of the game to Steam since. I honestly don't think there'll be another one.

sfried

Also here are my current settings:
61OOXNy.png

Select "Native res." under "Bloom" in FAR's configuration menu.
I did that, but certain areas, such as the forrest castle, still have that jagged look.

tuxfool

Banned
Also here are my current settings:
61OOXNy.png

I did that, but certain areas, such as the forrest castle, still have that jagged look.

After you change the bloom and AO settings you need to you need to restart the game for it to take effect.

I should also note that it doesn't fix the godrays, only the bloom.

Zemm

Still broken on a RX480 I take it? That they haven't patched this game up is shameful. This'll be a 2nd hand job at £5 on PS4 for me unless they ever do the right thing.

Oh I see AMD has fixed the 480 issue, still a 2nd hand job for now, really don't want to give Square money for this port.

Ascheroth

Still broken on a RX480 I take it? That they haven't patched this game up is shameful. This'll be a 2nd hand job at £5 on PS4 for me unless they ever do the right thing.
I think AMD fixed that in a driver update. Not completely sure though.

Manzoon

Banned
Okay, so I got Nier during the Steam summer sale, gonna give it a whirl without the mod and hope it's fine with my 750GT card (I don't have high hopes).

Man, it is kind of shitty to have to download a mod to get a game displaying properly at standard-ass 1080p. My 3570k and 970 also just don't really cut it anymore for most games; even with some settings tuned down (including that one lighting setting in FAR) it strugges to maintain even low-mid 50s in larger areas. Glad I initially played this on PS4 Pro.

Still, the mod gets it working well enough, I just have to continue to crank some settings down. It's really exciting to see this back at the top of the top sellers list, fucking awesome game. (I just hope they patch it at least one more time lol)

If PC is the only platform you're able to play this on, it will 100% be worth putting up with the iffy port.

Manzoon

Banned
So the game is very playable on my 750GT, just on low settings with everything off and bumped down to 720p. This is without the mod. I beat the opening section so now I'm going to get the mod and see what I can turn down in order to get a better resolution. I'll probably be getting a new video card next month or so (birthday present to myself) but I'm just happy it is playable, was well above 30 fps for all encounters except for the giant boss that was in the 20s or so for some segments.

Around where do the white screen crashes happen, or is there any rhyme or reason to them?

Mohasus

Man, it is kind of shitty to have to download a mod to get a game displaying properly at standard-ass 1080p. My 3570k and 970 also just don't really cut it anymore for most games; even with some settings tuned down (including that one lighting setting in FAR) it strugges to maintain even low-mid 50s in larger areas. Glad I initially played this on PS4 Pro.

Performance isn't that good on PS4 Pro either.

Performance isn't that good on PS4 Pro either.

Not perfect, but it was far more consistent than what I've managed to get out of the PC version so far. (Which is probably to be expected when I'm still on Ivy Bridge.) The only thing that really bugged me on the PS4P was the brief stutters between areas.

Manzoon

Banned
So after turning off that global lighting effect, I have between 40 and mid 50s fps at 1600x900 with a few things turned up a bit. Man I'm happy for that amazing mod, breathing a little more life into my video card.

M_A_C

I have NieR: Automata on PS4 Pro, is it worth messing with the PC version to try and push 4k or 1440p? Seems like it's kind of a mess port.

EDIT: I have a GTX1080 4770k and 16gb

UrbanRats

Is the banding normal? Looks Like broken AO, and especially evident in well lit areas such as the desert.
I already set high quality AO in FAR.

TitusTroy

is this game playable with kb/m?...I don't like using controllers for PC, I even used kb/m for Dark Souls 1 which everyone said was unplayable with it

Mariip

is this game playable with kb/m?...I don't like using controllers for PC, I even used kb/m for Dark Souls 1 which everyone said was unplayable with it
I think if you managed to beat dark souls with a kb&m nier must be a walk in the park. The game's evading skills are a bit overpowered and i believe you can find some confortable options for shooting while doing combos with the right bindings. It's far from optimal but it's doable
Also easy mode for this game has a lot of chips that make it play for itself, i did some lvl griding in easy mode from lvl 65 to lvl99 and i didn't even look at my screen so if you care only about story, this game's got you covered too

Coreda

Neither relaunching nor deactivating AO removes these hirizontal stripes for me.
Are they on purpose or a bug?

It's not how it's intended to look. I encountered them after tweaking FAR and the resolution settings. Something in the process must have caused them to appear, but in my case a relaunch fixed it. Did they appear initially, before any settings were changed?

Here's an example screenshot showing the absence of any stripes using a wide aspect ratio:

524220_201705292305517dsyd.jpg

Yeah it looks blurred/jagged for me too in such areas, even with the 'native' AO/bloom options enabled in FAR.

JaseC

Do we know if they have any plans to fix or at least improve this game on PC?

I don't think there'll be another patch. Squeenix hasn't uploaded a new build of the game to Steam since April 28th and that was for the public (default) branch.

I don't think there'll be another patch. Squeenix hasn't uploaded a new build of the game to Steam since April 28th and that was for the public (default) branch.

I think there'll be, just in Square Enix time. Remember it took them 4 months to fix Final Fantasy X HD rng glitch on PS4 and World of Final Fantasy messed up DoF on PS4 Pro.

Kazuhira

Controls are fine,i had to re-map a lot of keys though.
If you used kb+m with DS1 then you shouldn't have any problem with this game.

JaseC

I think there'll be, just in Square Enix time. Remember it took them 4 months to fix Final Fantasy X HD rng glitch on PS4 and World of Final Fantasy messed up DoF on PS4 Pro.

Yeah, but without PSNDB, we don't know if Squeenix sat on its hands for three months or genuinely took four months to fix the issues.

UrbanRats

It's not how it's intended to look. I encountered them after tweaking FAR and the resolution settings. Something in the process must have caused them to appear, but in my case a relaunch fixed it. Did they appear initially, before any settings were changed?

Here's an example screenshot showing the absence of any stripes using a wide aspect ratio:

524220_201705292305517dsyd.jpg

Yeah it looks blurred/jagged for me too in such areas, even with the 'native' AO/bloom options enabled in FAR.
They were always there for me, cause i installed FAR before even starting the game once.
In areas like the machine village i didnt see them though.

Also, the game just crashed, having me lose 30+ minutes of progress, including those jackass fight challenges.
A game as unstable as this should really have an autosave feature, instead of joking about it.

I guess it's back obsessively saving like in Witcher 3 (another game prone to crashes for me).

Other than the technical department i am loving the game tho.

Top Bottom