• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

longdi

Banned
I didnt use far. I just go nvidia cp and tick let 1080ti gpu do the scaling. Im running on a 1600p monitor and no aspect ratio issues or crashing. So far so good 38hrs in.

Maybe if u guys try to do without far.

UrbanRats

So i tried to give this mess another shot, and without downsampling, FAR doesn't crash my game anymore, but i still CTD when i do the Lost Girl quest (hopefully it'll be the only one).

Is it a common thing for this one quest, or should i just brace for CTD every other quest? If that's the case i may very well skip the game entirely (as painful as that would be) since i just can't stand a game that crashes on a consistent basis, especially since this one doesn't have save states (unlike, say, Witcher 3).

If it's just the quest that is broken, i'll just skip that one instead.

Durante

Personally, on my Pascal GPU, I didn't have any repeated crashes in 50 hours of playtime. (It seems like the more common crash issues were either on AMD GPUs, or on NV Kepler GPUs, and both of those were fixed in drivers by the respective manufacturers).

Ascheroth

I probably had 1 crash with my R9 290 in also 50 hours playtime at launch, without the newest drivers, which supposedly fix some crashes.
I didn't use FAR though, just stuck with Borderless Gaming.

Agree on above. 1080FE and 6700K. 60 or w/e hours and I don't think I had one crash the entire time with FAR (except when it was screwing with RivaTuner, my fault)

I probably had 1 crash with my R9 290 in also 50 hours playtime at launch, without the newest drivers, which supposedly fix some crashes.
I didn't use FAR though, just stuck with Borderless Gaming.
I just used borderless gaming and I had the same result. However I have a 1080, in a vacuum this looked like an amazing port aside from the resolution scaling in full screen

TheGrue

Played the game for about 30 hours or so (got A-E) on a GTX 980 with just Borderless Gaming and had one crash probably in the middle of my hours of play. Game had its issues with performance, but I'm never really bothered by that stuff, so I felt the port was fine.

UrbanRats

I have a 970, latest drivers.
Steam tells me i played 6 hours, but i actually played more than that, in Offline mode, and i think i've experienced just a couple of crashes, however this Lost Girl mission (
where you have to rescue the robot girl from the desert area
), is crashing consistently (tried 3 times already).

FAR was crashing my game after an update, but after disabling supersampling, it didn't seem to be a problem anymore, and i had played pretty smoothly until that point.

Now, even deactivating FAR, the game still crashes during that mission.
I guess i'll try to skip it and hope it's that one mission, that is faulty.

I may even try to uninstall FAR altogether and try running it in borderless windowed.

I just used borderless gaming and I had the same result. However I have a 1080, in a vacuum this looked like an amazing port aside from the resolution scaling in full screen
Bit of a contradiction there. :p
To me is absolutely mind blowing that they STILL haven't patched something as basic as that.
I hope they didn't see FAR and went "well, our job is done!".

UrbanRats

If it's in one specific place you could also try to verify the game files. I doubt it's the issue, but it couldn't hurt.

I renamed the dinput8.dll of FAR (just to quickly deactivate it) and installed borderless window, and i actually managed to get the girl out of the desert without a crash.
probably just luck and had nothing to do with borderless window, but hey, whatever works.

6th time's the charm!

Ascheroth

I renamed the dinput8.dll of FAR (just to quickly deactivate it) and installed borderless window, and i actually managed to get the girl out of the desert without a crash.
probably just luck and had nothing to do with borderless window, but hey, whatever works.

6th time's the charm!
I hate how this port is so inconsistent for some people.
The game is too good for such shoddy work :(

UrbanRats

I hate how this port is so inconsistent for some people.
The game is too good for such shoddy work :(

Tell me about it.
This was my most hyped game, in a pretty packed year, and i had to essentially put it down for months because of these problems.
I feel bad for Platinum tho, they seem willing to support their games, going by the Bayonetta and Vanquish PC ports (which got patched pretty swiftly) so i blame SE for this nonsense.

UrbanRats

not really no, I dont consider something a bad port if flicking on borderless gaming completely solves the issue. Minor annoyance at best.
If an extremely basic feature (Like fullscreen) is broken, months after realese, yes i consider it a poor job and a shitty effort.
Btw borderless has to be implemented through 3rd party programs or fan made mods, which also speaks volume.

If an extremely basic feature (Like fullscreen) is broken, months after realese, yes i consider it a poor job and a shitty effort.
Btw borderless has to be implemented through 3rd party programs or fan made mods, which also speaks volume.
clearly we have different scales, no need to be so hostile.

Exentryk

So Nier Automata is on sale again on Steam 35% off. I have a core i7 and a GTX 1060 6GB. Are the headaches surrounding this game sorted out?

Install the FAR mod (look it up on Steam Discussions) and that should also allow you to tweak a lot more settings to get better performance for your card.

It's a great game, so have fun on your journey!

dawid

Bought this on steam and played through the intro up until the first savepoint with no real technical problems. No stuttering or crashes etc.

I'm on 90min played on steam and need to decide if i should refund or keep going, and i really like the game itself.

Do the technical problems usually show up later, or can i feel good about keeping on playing?

UrbanRats

My copy started crashing about 6 hours in, sorry.
Many didn't have as many problems though.

So Nier Automata is on sale again on Steam 35% off. I have a core i7 and a GTX 1060 6GB. Are the headaches surrounding this game sorted out?
Nothing is "sorted out" officially, but there are fan mods that can help (assuming they work out for you).

On steam you can ask for a refund though, so no biggie.

Neptonic

my 960 2GB is able to hit 1080p60 with everything turned down to low, motion blur on, with FAR installed
Drops to 45 in some towns
Drops to like 18 in some big set piece fights

But still playing it and having a great time 28 hours in

Arulan

Personally, on my Pascal GPU, I didn't have any repeated crashes in 50 hours of playtime. (It seems like the more common crash issues were either on AMD GPUs, or on NV Kepler GPUs, and both of those were fixed in drivers by the respective manufacturers).

My experience was the same, and also on a Pascal GPU. In fact, I didn't have a single crash or problem whatsoever in my 80 hours of play while using the FAR mod.

Durante

Sale price is very tempting... GTX1080 + utils should be fine for 1080p right, I can hit a solid 60fps?
You can easily hit solid 60 FPS on 1440p wth a 1080. (Even enabling my additional graphics stuff in FAR)

That's how I played it. (of course you should disable in-game MSAA, since the implementation breaks LoD transitions anyway)

Yeshua

Bought this on steam and played through the intro up until the first savepoint with no real technical problems. No stuttering or crashes etc.

I'm on 90min played on steam and need to decide if i should refund or keep going, and i really like the game itself.

Do the technical problems usually show up later, or can i feel good about keeping on playing?

Personnaly crash kinda happen at random, the worst part were at the amusement park and with the Simone boss, multiple crash in that part in both route A & B.

For me personally FAR kept crashing the game at a specific point such that I could not progress and I had to uninstall it. A shame because it greatly improved performance. i5 6500 and a GTX 1070.

Game is playable without FAR but there are resolution issues unless windowed and it does not perform as well as it "should".

ezodagrom

I couldn't keep 60fps at 1080p with a GTX 1060 (6GB), but in my case it could be because of my (very) outdated CPU (Phenom II X4 955).

dawid

Are there any special settings in FAR i should enable for performance or resolution-fixes? I just want to play it at a regular 1080p.

Zojirushi

Wait, there hasn't been a patch yet and you still have to fuck around with mods for this? Fffs.

Are they still working on something or is this as good as it's gonna get?

Yeshua

Wait, there hasn't been a patch yet and you still have to fuck around with mods for this? Fffs.

AMD and NVIDIA has updated their driver to prevent the white screen crash (was the most widespread type of crash), other than that absolutely nothing has been done and I highly doubt Square Enix will ever do anything.
Fuck that company so much.

Sky87

Are there any special settings in FAR i should enable for performance or resolution-fixes? I just want to play it at a regular 1080p.

You need to turn Global Illumination down to High from Ultra (no real visual difference), which you'll need the mod for. It improves FPS quite a lot apparently.

I installed the mod manually, it's really easy. Basically download the archive and unpack the files into the Nier directory (or use the automatic tool if you want). It's all in the guide i posted above. I recommend it and shouldn't take more than 5-10 mins to download/fully set up.

Another bonus is a nicer looking achievement popup which i really hope the Steam client UI upgrade will improve when it comes out.

What i changed with the mod was:

- Global Illumination to High
- Hide Mouse Cursor
- Enabled Borderless Windowed mode
- Enabled High Quality Bloom and AO (Ambient Occlusion)

Before doing those, make sure you set up your video settings in the game first, like increasing AF, disabling AA/enabling Ambient Occlusion and turning on the Windowed setting along with your resolution of choice.

lazerfox

I think I need something to hold me over until Cold Steel 2 comes out.

You guys think I can run this at 1440p with FAR and some settings turned down? Got a 1070 paired with 4770k.

I don't know how accurate these benchmarks are.
na_2560.png

Sky87

I think I need something to hold me over until Cold Steel 2 comes out.

You guys think I can run this at 1440p with FAR and some settings turned down? Got a 1070 paired with 4770k.

I don't know how accurate these benchmarks are.

That's my specs, got no problems running it at 1080p/60. I'm fairly certain 1440p/60 should easily be doable from what i've gathered. Not sure if that benchmark had FAR running.

Durante

That benchmark looks like it probably has MSAA enabled, so it's not really representative at all of what you get with the recommended settings.

Cindered

Neo Member
In my experience, 1440p/60 is possible on a 1070, but you need GI turned down a couple of notches via FAR to stabilize the framerate in a few areas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Squeenix hasn't uploaded a new build of the game to Steam since updating the public (default) branch in preparation for the release of the DLC. That was four-and-a-half months ago now.

UrbanRats

AMD and NVIDIA has updated their driver to prevent the white screen crash (was the most widespread type of crash), other than that absolutely nothing has been done and I highly doubt Square Enix will ever do anything.
Fuck that company so much.

I don't get it, they seem so eager to make FFXV a good PC port (ofc, that remains to be seen, since they're still in sales-man mode), and then they don't even patch the most basic shit in Nier.
I'm sure it wouldn't take much, given how modders were able to fix many of the issues alone.

Top Bottom