• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

I wish they would actually fix the game already, I'd like to give them money but it seems like they dont want it. I feel like games released in this state and never fixed shouldn't be allowed on steam until they achieve a certain standard. Its sad to see Tecmo Koei and Square constantly get away with selling stuff they hacked together but it'll never change :(

I regret paying full price for Nier: Automata. Not only because it didn't click with me after 10 hours in, but also (and mostly) because the lack of support from the developer/publisher. The game sold more than 400.000 copies on PC alone and even basic issues like the rendering resolution are still unaddressed.

Coreda

I had between 3-4 crashes total from route A-E fwiw. The game let out an electronic whine sound at the point of crashing each time. Since there's no autosaving for the most part (except when dying and coming back via an access point which could be considered a form of autosave, and checkpoints during boss battles) you come to save at each opportunity. Would suck to have it crash during an unsavable section though since the parts it does autosave in are only remembered while the game is open.

Are there any mods that will disable the partially faded black bars during cut-scenes?

If they were fully black I wouldn't care, but the half-way solution is super distracting imo.

I keep getting crashes at exactly the same spot, happened twice in a row now.

In the B route:
Right after you kill the giant machine living in the ocean and 9S enters the abstract memory space, you're piloting the little ship around. Right after Adam starts talking to 9S ("You want to **** 2B don't you?") and the screen starts getting all glitchy (intentionally)
. I hear the Metal Gear Solid alert noise, then the game crashes. SUPER frustrating because this is a long way away from a save point, so I've now redone the same sequence twice, and I really don't want to try it again just to have the same thing happen.

Running the latest version of FAR, i5 6500, GTX 1070, no other mods. =/

I suppose I should try doing this with FAR disabled but I just don't have the heart to go through this again since it's a good 30 minute sequence. Might just abandon the game and watch the remainder on YouTube. Kicking myself for not just buying this on PS4.

Ok, disabling FAR did indeed allow me to get through the crashy section. Fine. So now I choose between a stable game with resolution problems in full screen and sub-optimal performance, or I fix these problems and risk random crashes a long way away from a save point.

Doesn't change my conclusion, which is that buying on PC was a mistake. Lesson learned, P* and SE, I won't be purchasing your games on PC again until you have a release that demonstrates a commitment to fixing bugs.

Adaren

Are there any mods that will disable the partially faded black bars during cut-scenes?

If they were fully black I wouldn't care, but the half-way solution is super distracting imo.

The cutscenes are mostly (if not entirely) pretenders, so I'm afraid not (unless the bars are added on top of the video...I'm actually not sure if they are).

Arkanius

Ok, disabling FAR did indeed allow me to get through the crashy section. Fine. So now I choose between a stable game with resolution problems in full screen and sub-optimal performance, or I fix these problems and risk random crashes a long way away from a save point.

Doesn't change my conclusion, which is that buying on PC was a mistake. Lesson learned, P* and SE, I won't be purchasing your games on PC again until you have a release that demonstrates a commitment to fixing bugs.

Usually FAR only introduces problems if you unlock the framerate

shiyrley

Banned
Is the game supposed to have textures like these?
aX9txxb.jpg

Also I had to drop global illumination to medium in FAR to get stable 60 FPS on my 1070 at 1440p. Is this ok? Is there a better way to get stable 60 FPS? Everything else is maxed except AA which is disabled.

Thanks

tuxfool

Banned
Any benefit in having AA enabled in-game, if you're using FAR's AO + bloom?

No. You get MSAA, but then you get wonky AO and bad performance. The game already employs a post process AA on the highest post process setting.

Is the game supposed to have textures like these?

Also I had to drop global illumination to medium in FAR to get stable 60 FPS on my 1070 at 1440p. Is this ok? Is there a better way to get stable 60 FPS? Everything else is maxed except AA which is disabled.

Thanks
That seems right.

Nyoro SF

I downloaded FAR and activated its injection after installing, but when I hit CTRL+Shift+Backspace, nothing happens.

The game has some major performance issues, if I stay in the desert too long the framerate jumps between 30-60fps for no discernable reason. Pop-in is terrifyingly bad too. I'm going through the OP right now to see what I can adjust for later.

Can Borderless Gaming still provide performance benefits even with FAR installed? Need to lower the resolution quite a bit (something along the lines of 512p) and I'm not sure if the game itself can handle that properly, even with FAR.

Using a laptop from 2012, so I can't expect much, but if Borderless Gaming can improve things then I can reinstall to give it another try. (I did set the Global Illumination to Off in FAR but apparently nothing else there is for boosting perfor.)

By the way, did anything FAR-related happen after Kaldaien removed the Steam Discussions page over some drama? I haven't been following.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I downloaded FAR and activated its injection after installing, but when I hit CTRL+Shift+Backspace, nothing happens.

I had the same problem at first. Reinstalling FAR fixed it. I'd guess one of the files didn't download properly.

UrbanRats

The game crashes on start up for me now..
Not sure what it is.
I updated my USB drivers (i doubt it's this), and updated FAR (there was a pop up prompt when i started the game).
When i enter a save (or do New Game) it closes without warning, though.
EDIT: NVM, now it closes before even getting that far.

Sigh.
I guess i knew what i was getting into when i bought this, but still...

Erheller

The game has some major performance issues, if I stay in the desert too long the framerate jumps between 30-60fps for no discernable reason. Pop-in is terrifyingly bad too. I'm going through the OP right now to see what I can adjust for later.

I had this same issue, and I fixed it by installing some windows 10 distributable or something. It might be the C++ runtime stuff in here:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/

It should be immediately apparent if the mod is working. As soon as the game starts up (like, at the logo screens) you should see yellow debug text and you should be able to hit the CTRL+Shift+Backspace shortcut

UrbanRats

Uninstalled FAR, and at least now it starts (i did try to reinstall FAR, but that crashes it).
I guess i'm gonna have to wait for this supposed patch like a carrot on a stick.

Oh well, lesson learned.

“Square Enix and PlatinumGames are working with PC device manufacturers, like AMD, to address the issues with the Steam version of the game because some of the issues are not what Square Enix and PlatinumGames alone can resolve fundamentally. With AMD’s help, Square Enix and PlatinumGames have successfully resolved some of the issues, and we hope to achieve similar results with other hardware makers. We appreciate your continued patience and support for NieR: Automata.”

Source

Unbelievable...

“Square Enix and PlatinumGames are working with PC device manufacturers, like AMD, to address the issues with the Steam version of the game because some of the issues are not what Square Enix and PlatinumGames alone can resolve fundamentally. With AMD’s help, Square Enix and PlatinumGames have successfully resolved some of the issues, and we hope to achieve similar results with other hardware makers. We appreciate your continued patience and support for NieR: Automata.”

Source

Unbelievable...
So still no comittment to fix their shit.

Them patching in DLC support but not touching stuff that was broken from Day 1 is truely reprehensible.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member

Source

Unbelievable...

They're right though.

I agree it's inexcusable they haven't fixed any of the other stuff yet (e.g. the fullscreen resolution issue affects all PC players, is trivial to analyse and fix, and the fix bears no risk of causing further issues). But GPU driver crashes are very hard to diagnose without assistance from the GPU vendor (which only AAA devs have easy access to) and not really the game developer's job anyway (since games aren't supposed to be able to crash drivers no matter how poorly programmed they are).

They're right though.

I agree it's inexcusable they haven't fixed any of the other stuff yet (e.g. the fullscreen resolution issue affects all PC players, is trivial to analyse and fix, and the fix bears no risk of causing further issues). But GPU driver crashes are very hard to diagnose without assistance from the GPU vendor (which only AAA devs have easy access to) and not really the game developer's job anyway (since games aren't supposed to be able to crash drivers no matter how poorly programmed they are).

100% this, I work at a AAA and we get a LOT of help from Hardware Vendors to fix driver crashes near ship. A smaller studio like this doesn't get something like game-ready drivers.

Ascheroth

100% this, I work at a AAA and we get a LOT of help from Hardware Vendors to fix driver crashes near ship. A smaller studio like this doesn't get something like game-ready drivers.
'smaller studio'
Yeah, poor Square Enix.

Like, I understand that Platinum is not big, but this totally comes down to Square Enix not giving a shit about the PC version.

When Platinum can work with Sega to fix Bayonetta and Vanquish issues in a very timely manner, it absolutely means that Square Enix just doesn't give a shit.

tuxfool

Banned

eeh, it's not really an excuse that the can't have a number of common PC configurations to test. Go see something like the Witness, that game has certain issues in some configurations, Jonathan Blow goes out the next day buys a number of different graphics cards and fixes the issues plaguing those configurations.

tuxfool

Banned
Wait, what's wrong with the PC version of this game? I just got it for 40 bucks on Steam Sale.

Depends on the system. It has some issues common to all but easily fixed with FAR, while some people suffer some other issues which can't be fixed.

UrbanRats

Considering my game now insta-crashes with FAR, i guess i'm forced in hoping they're get their shit together eventually, and do their jobs, with a proper patch.

Ascheroth

im pretty sure they are patching it because the game is selling well. games sell better still when they work properly.
The game has made them more money than any of their single player FF games in its launch week(s). By that reasoning they should have patched it ages ago, but alas.

Nvidia just released a new driver 384.94. With a fix for Nier.

[GeForce GTX 780/780 Ti][NieR:Automata]: The screen may freeze during gameplay.

No idea if the fix applies for the Pascal cards though.

Those on the fence about this game because of this issue can probably jump in now, maybe.

Lumine

Nvidia just released a new driver 384.94. With a fix for Nier.

No idea if the fix applies for the Pascal cards though.

Those on the fence about this game because of this issue can probably jump in now, maybe.

Oh shit! Could this actually be the fix I've been waiting for all these months? Anyone on a 780 test it yet? I might finally be able to play this mess now!

sorathecrow

Neo Member
Oh shit! Could this actually be the fix I've been waiting for all these months? Anyone on a 780 test it yet? I might finally be able to play this mess now!

There was one post on the r/pcgaming thread that said they fixed it, but I haven't seen any feedback beyond that.

CHC

OK I want to do something very simple and I can not. It's driving me up a fucking wall right now, I hope someone might be able to help.

I have a 1920x1200 monitor.

I want to play this game in 1920x1080.

When I select that resolution, FAR mod just stretches 1080 to 1200, and my mouse winds up misaligned and the screen is distorted.

I do not want to play at 1200 because the text and cutscenes are stretched vertically.

All I want is 1080 with letterboxing and there is no combination of settings that has worked so far. I got it to do this yesterday briefly but now it's not working.

EDIT: Ok I seem to have gotten it working with some combination of selecting 1080 in game, then clicking the "override resolution" option in FAR and then checking the box "override" for the fullscreen section under Display in the FAR menu. So much harder than it had to be. Doing any of these things in the wrong order bsaically just centeres the screen at some random ass point on my monitor, with the mouse completely misaligned and unusable.

Let's see if the game fucking blows up in my face right after the torturously long intro again, like it did yesterday. Reinstalled drivers, the game, and FAR. What a nightmare this has been!

Coreda

OK I want to do something very simple and I can not. It's driving me up a fucking wall right now, I hope someone might be able to help.

I have a 1920x1200 monitor. I want to play this game in 1920x1080. When I select that resolution, FAR mod just stretches 1080 to 1200, and my mouse winds up misaligned and the screen is distorted.

EDIT: Ok I seem to have gotten it working with some combination

Can't remember what option it was but I played at sub-native res. Didn't seem to be as confusing IIRC. It was either by disabling some FAR fullscreen-ing option or because I have the GPU set to no scaling (pretty sure there was some FAR checkbox though). It runs in a centered borderless window so to achieve a black surrounding background I just opened Firefox in fullscreen behind it with a black page (though most of the time it was too much of a bother).

Top Bottom