• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh I kinda love Drakengard. It's basically gaming's Berserk before demon's souls came along. :p

I also kinda love how fucking crass 3 is. I still kinda wish that they would remaster to include the sister's stories and also not make it sub-5fps.

I also kinda love how fucking crass 3 is. I still kinda wish that they would remaster to include the sister's stories and also not make it sub-5fps.

And to fix all the recycled area/assets and the writing that largely drops the ball after branch A. Not worth it for Yoko Taro's worst game.

Antiwhippy

I thought D was pretty good, but I think I read somewhere too that taro also wishes he can work on drakengard again with all he learnt from nier? I might be misremembering though.

3 was definitely rushed though, so who knows if he really got what he intended into the game mostly.

Gbraga

It shows up in a lot of twitch stream headers, but I wonder how many people bought this game because of "hot android butts" and were completely blindsided by all the existential angst and probing questions about humanity.

It's like half of all the streams during the first weeks of release mentioned butts in some way. Even now, almost 2 months later you still see it.

People are just memeing. Not that they don't care about the ass, but I don't think it would be nearly as much of the success it is if that was all it had going for it in people's eyes. Not a lot of folks are willing to pay $60 just for booty.

I think there's a far larger number of people who bought it for Platinum action, and they were probably caught by surprise with the kind of game it is.

3 was disappointing but a part of me loved it. Taro wanted to make a dark comedy and paired it to kind of a bad game.

But he also did warn people that, despite the name, it's not Drakengard no Nier. The only story purpose the game served was to explain how much God wanted humanity dead.

LotusHD

Banned
Overall, I did not like D3 at all either, and that's as someone who didn't play it, which would have probably soured me even more on it based off of what I've seen and read.

Only thing I could say is that Zero's personality was one I was not very used to at all as far as video games go, so that was quite refreshing.

That Branch D boss was quite memorable too, despite me not experiencing it first hand. I liked the novellas concerning the sisters and their servants, but the game's writing didn't really impress me. I did see bits of the despair and dark humor that Taro is well known for, which I enjoyed.

I was still excited for Automata, but if I had only watched D3, I would have definitely had my concerns. Watching Nier on the other hand, it was quickly clear that Taro really does know how to write a good story and make a cast you care about. The difference in quality between the two was readily apparent.

I still need to watch D1 though, I'm too impatient to wait for any potential remaster.

Gbraga

Well Drakengard is not nearly as good as either of the Nier games even if you disregard the gameplay. The first Drakengard is a crazy/bizarre experience, but one that even at the time learned pretty hard on the novelty factor.

And you're just reminding me of how disappointing Drakengard 3 was in pretty much every facet.

I played Drakengard 3 just before Automata, and I actually loved it. It's no Nier, but it's distinctively a Yoko Taro game, and that's all I want from his games, and something I was afraid of not getting because of the very negative reception 3 got at release.

Drakengard definitely leans more on THE EDGE, but it also creates such an interesting world, it's fascinating. Nier is much more about its characters and their drama. Automata, on the other hand, focuses on its themes, how to convey them and get the player thinking. Not that they all do everything else badly, I adore the world of Nier (though it's intrinsically connected to Drakengard), and Automata's characters are lovely, but their priorities are very obvious.

And to fix all the recycled area/assets and the writing that largely drops the ball after branch A. Not worth it for Yoko Taro's worst game.
It's probably Taro's most flawed work, but it's such an interesting game. The ending is one of the best things Taro has ever created, and while most of its characters are in dire need of fleshing out, others are right up there with Nier's writing. Zero in particular is such a great character.

Antiwhippy

I think the sisters' DLC showed just how much missed potential there is. I think he very much wanted to include their stories as part of the story, but ran out of time/resources/patience from square enix. :p

It's amazing that he even got to do a project like automata after that.

Golnei

It's amazing that he even got to do a project like automata after that.

The initiative reportedly coming from Platinum's side of things would have helped, since S-E wanted them to work on something for them to begin with. And once they were resolved to do Nier, there's no way they could have done it without him.

A little too much of what makes Drakengard 3 interesting is hidden in out-of-game lore, which is par for the course with Taro, but the ratio was too far off that time.

I like the idea of "What would you do with your dying breath if you knew the world will end when you fall?" It's Taro's most heroic game, in that respect.

A little too much of what makes Drakengard 3 interesting is hidden in out-of-game lore, which is par for the course with Taro, but the ratio was too far off that time.

I don't think this is a problem with his other games. The first Drakengard and Nier: A require nothing from out of game, and for the first Nier the out of game stuff just adds more context and lore, it's not important to the experience. Drakengard 3 cuts out entire character arcs.

Antiwhippy

The initiative reportedly coming from Platinum's side of things would have helped, since S-E wanted them to work on something for them to begin with. And once they were resolved to do Nier, there's no way they could have done it without him.

Yeah I knew about that story. I'm actually even more amazed that the first thing platinum thought of in order to get a contract from SE was "Nier Vita Port!" xD

I don't think this is a problem with his other games. The first Drakengard and Nier: A require nothing from out of game, and for the first Nier the out of game stuff just adds more context and lore, it's not important to the experience. Drakengard 3 cuts out entire character arcs.

AUTOMATA HAS A STAGE PLAY

Helloween

I always thought D3 was really well told, the state of the FPS in game however was not. I 100%'d it anyway, DLC included and would have been sad if i had missed out on all that.

If anyones on the fence its totally worth the play, even if you have heard some iffy things. Plus the dub is fantastic like always.

Golnei

AUTOMATA HAS A STAGE PLAY

To be fair, reading it advance is actually detrimental to Automata. I don't think the argument was that the materials didn't exist, just that they're not as necessary to the narratives of Nier and Automata as they are for Drakengard 3.

At the time YoRHa was written, I wonder if Yoko Taro actually expected to be able to depict its setting in a game...

Finished Emil's Memories, when Kaine's theme started playing. :'( Emil's such a wonderfully tragic character, I wasn't going to initially but I think I'll go max all the weapons for that final fight with him now.

addik

So, apparently, the Nier: Automata concert (that will take place in May) might have some new info about what happens to 2B/9S after Ending E according to Reddit and
there's a possibility 9S won't even wake up after Ending E.

Leezard

So, apparently, the Nier: Automata concert (that will take place in May) might have some new info about what happens to 2B/9S after Ending E according to Reddit and
there's a possibility 9S won't even wake up after Ending E.

If that spoiler thing is true, I wonder if that means that this Ending E follows
ending D with 9S choosing to leave.

Yoko Taro's wild ride just got wilder.

Anyway, I can't get over how much of a jerk Pod 153 was being in the concert drama recital. In the time period between the Memory Cage and this recital, Pod 153 has gone from supporting 9S in battle no matter what to spying on him for YorHa, letting 2B know whenever 9S has come across sensitive info. Pod 153 sees 2B in agony over killing 9S and tells her that emotions like that are forbidden. She also tells 2B that, since she's based off A2, she's perfect for Executioner work. But hearing that just makes 2B more sad. NO MORE BRO FISTS FOR YOU, TRAITOR.

Also, it looks like 9S has gone from taking preemptive strikes against 2B in the Memory Cage to willingly submitting to execution. By the time the game starts, he's actually developed a habit of offing himself to save 2B from the pain of killing him herself. :(

Anyway, looks like some intriguing lore bits are coming up. Apparently 2B and 9S have fought A2 before their fight in-game and she's smoked them every time. Of course, only 2B would remember. I wonder how A2's feelings about those two have changed over time...I'm looking forward to this the most. There's also going to be a drama with new YorHa members, but people are saying they have 2B's and 9S's VAs or something, so they might be predecessors. On the last day, there'll be more 9S POV stuff. I saw some quotes floating around that indicates that, by the end, he realizes that he was being a huge asshole and feels like he doesn't deserve all the forgiveness and help that others have given him. Which would explain things, I guess.

Golnei

Apparently 2B and 9S have fought A2 before their fight in-game and she's smoked them every time. Of course, only 2B would remember. I wonder how A2's feelings about those two have changed over time...

Taking this into account, it's almost comical how much material they have for A2 prequel DLC. 2B and 9S are already fully-functional enemies...

Yoko Taro's wild ride just got wilder.

Anyway, I can't get over how much of a jerk Pod 153 was being in the concert drama recital. In the time period between the Memory Cage and this recital, Pod 153 has gone from supporting 9S in battle no matter what to spying on him for YorHa, letting 2B know whenever 9S has come across sensitive info. Pod 153 sees 2B in agony over killing 9S and tells her that emotions like that are forbidden. She also tells 2B that, since she's based off A2, she's perfect for Executioner work. But hearing that just makes 2B more sad. NO MORE BRO FISTS FOR YOU, TRAITOR.

Also, it looks like 9S has gone from taking preemptive strikes against 2B in the Memory Cage to willingly submitting to execution. By the time the game starts, he's actually developed a habit of offing himself to save 2B from the pain of killing him herself. :(

Anyway, looks like some intriguing lore bits are coming up. Apparently 2B and 9S have fought A2 before their fight in-game and she's smoked them every time. Of course, only 2B would remember. I wonder how A2's feelings about those two have changed over time...I'm looking forward to this the most. There's also going to be a drama with new YorHa members, but people are saying they have 2B's and 9S's VAs or something, so they might be predecessors. On the last day, there'll be more 9S POV stuff. I saw some quotes floating around that indicates that, by the end, he realizes that he was being a huge asshole and feels like he doesn't deserve all the forgiveness and help that others have given him. Which would explain things, I guess.

Pod 042 was always the bro. Now we need dlc to clarify on pod 153 turning face. Was always a bigger fan of A2 and 2b so here's hoping they have a somewhat decent end. Guess 9s is doomed to have a bad time.

Ubernube

Taking this into account, it's almost comical how much material they have for A2 prequel DLC. 2B and 9S are already fully-functional enemies...

Of course, the issue is since Yoko typically doesn't really like revisiting stuff he's done before (the stage play summary is really short and cuts out a lot of stuff), the more prequel stuff we see of A2 in supplementary material, the less likely such DLC would get made for her.

Hell, if this keeps up, we're more likely to get post-ending E dlc or supplementary material for A2 or some kind of wacky hijinks adventure time with Anemone and Jackass.

I mean, did you guys not read the post ending D Nier 1 story?
Taro always wants to fuck over his characters in expanded contents lol

The post ending D content (particularly ending E) in the original Nier ended pretty well for Kaine and Nier all things considered. Keep in mind we don't know everything about the concert story, only partial spoilers. I bet Yoko's gonna make it so the audience has to sing Weight of the World to help 2B wake 9S up, or something like that..

Antiwhippy

I mean, did you guys not read the post ending D Nier 1 story?
Taro always wants to fuck over his characters in expanded contents lol

Wait isn't that the one
where nier gets reconstructed by sleeping beauty and he lives with kaine happily ever after?

Ferr986

The post ending D content (particularly ending E) in the original Nier ended pretty well for Kaine and Nier all things considered. Keep in mind we don't know everything about the concert story, only partial spoilers. I bet Yoko's gonna make it so the audience has to sing Weight of the World to help 2B wake 9S up, or something like that..

Wait isn't that the one
where nier gets reconstructed by sleeping beauty and he lives with kaine happily ever after?

Nope, there's a story that happens after Ending D in the Drama CD (so it's canon), basically

Kaine lives Nier style helping people at the village, but she's all depressed because she feels there's a void in her head that can't remind (Nier), and she also has repeating nightmares.

One day the village is attacked by Shades and kill some dude that Kaine liked. Dude always cared for Kaine while his sister found her scary. Seeing the man dead, she goes all crazy and starts to fuck his corpse in front of the man's little sister, who freaks out. After realizing wtf is she doing she runs away from the village and breaks crying because she can't go past her empty feeling that Nier's existence left her.

Basically she lives all up depressed for the rest of her short live (she has Black Scrawl).

wesStyle

For now, the whole E speculation really looks like a 2ch bait.
No new photos in a day.
Those fuckers with the script are enjoying their fellow fans suffering over unproofed things. And you can already see scripts selling on ebay for $250.

Antiwhippy

Nope, there's a story that happens after Ending D in the Drama CD (so it's canon), basically

Kaine lives Nier style helping people at the village, but she's all depressed because she feels there's a void in her head that can't remind (Nier), and she also has repeating nightmares.

One day the village is attacked by Shades and kill some dude that Kaine liked. Dude always cared for Kaine while his sister found her scary. Seeing the man dead, she goes all crazy and starts to fuck his corpse in front of the man's little sister, who freaks out. After realizing wtf is she doing she runs away from the village and breaks crying because she can't go past her empty feeling that Nier's existence left her.

Basically she lives all up depressed for the rest of her short live (she has Black Scrawl).

-_________-

Well at least they've both symbolically fucked a corpse so maybe taro won't want to revisit that.

Hopefully.

So where does ending E occur. I've only ever played the game and read none of the additional content but doesn't automata follow ending E which involved a
Nier reunion

Ubernube

No, if Im not mistaken ending E is not canon, it was just a scrapped idea.

I believe Ending E was scrapped because they didn't have the budget for it, not because it's not canon. Pretty much all of Yoko's supplementary material is canon, so it'd be odd for this in particular to not be.

LotusHD

Banned
Hmm, what does 9S do to Pod 153 when you rub the touch pad? Does he pet her?

Does A2 pet 042?

9S does a fist bump. I dunno what A2 does.

---

Remember when we foolishly all thought 2B was superior in strength since A2 was the prototype?

Good times...

Top Bottom