• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS 2 Coming! (Looks like NOM is off the hook... THIS time.)

Nuclear Muffin said:
I would imagine that a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time (One seemingly long forgotten by it`s creator) would count as a megaton!

If nights 2 is only 4.5 what would it take to get a 10?

Naruto.

Epiphyte

Hell no! No offence to the Wii but this game should not be held back or butchered by the Flintstones gpu in the Wii. Put this bitch on 360 or PS3. If motion control is needed then shit drop in on PS3 and give it the graphics that the year 2007 and beyond call for.
Two pages go by after this comment and still no joke about how the Wii will soon be "10 million strong.......and growing"

Your getting rusty GAF.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Epiphyte said:
Two pages go by after this comment and still no joke about how the Wii will soon be "10 million strong.......and growing"

Your getting rusty GAF.

Someday soon it will be no joke.

tehrafe

Nuclear Muffin said:
If nights 2 is only 4.5 what would it take to get a 10?

- Duke Nukem Forever (including Shadow Warrior 2 for free)
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Shenmue 3
- GTA4
- Skies Of Arcadia 2
- Pokémon MMO

and all of this released on the same day.

Things that would get a 10 on my Megaton Meter:

As I said, stuff that will never happen.

I posted this in another thread...

- New Mother Wii and DS titles in 2008. Megaton Meter Score: 6
- Kingdom Hearts 3 on Wii/DS. Megaton Meter Score: 7
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl to include worldwide online play with monthly tournaments for huge prizes, and New Brawl characters revealed including: Sephiroth, Cloud, Alucard, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mega Man, and more. Megaton Meter Score: 9
- Nintendo based MMORPG which lets you be characters based on all the popular franchises and takes place in the many worlds of Nintendo's franchises. Compatibility between Wii/DS so you can play on-the-go or at home. Megaton Meter Score: 10
- Final Fantasy XIV to be exclusive to Nintendo DS. Megaton Meter Score: 8
- New Legend of Zelda title being produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Hayao Miyazaki and Hironobu Sakagutchi. Miyamoto will design the game, Miyazaki will direct the story and art style, and Sakagutchi will plan the game engine and concept. Anime series to be based on it written and directed by Miyazaki. Both release in Fall 2008. Megaton Meter Score: 10

I can think of more ridiculous ones.

Is Nights coming to Wii big news? Yes. Is it earth shattering, no.

Here's the Megaton Test:

Did the reaction of the internets look or sound like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dnt4eJpriA8

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AniHawk said:
Sega can still put out a really good game when they put their minds to it. ****, SATSR and VF5 just came out last month, people. Even Super Monkey Ball:BB wasn't bad, despite their best attempts to sabotage it. I just worry and wonder about where the talent behind games like Skies of Arcadia and Panzer Dragoon Orta went to. Those games only came out four ****ing years ago (well, the upgrade to SoA did).

If NiGHTS 2 is as good as SATSR, I'm going on a rampage.

And VF5 is AM2, who has never skipped a beat.

This will probably be either Prope or Sonic Team. If it's Sonic Team, THE END IS NEAR.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So what's the evidence NiGHTS 2 is coming?

NOM's cryptic coming next month page (which has been full of shit before) and the April cover of a magazine?

Nothing more concrete than that?

I never played Nights for more than 10 minutes at a store since I didnt have a Saturn until a few years ago, so I cant get THAT excited about this, especially seeing the quality of Sega games in the past few years.

arab

Fatghost said:
So what's the evidence NiGHTS 2 is coming?

NOM's cryptic coming next month page (which has been full of shit before) and the April cover of a magazine?

Nothing more concrete than that?

the fact that sega made the magazine pull their cover is a hint, april fools day jokes are also rarely to never cover stories, and the fact that this is 3 magazines touting this same theme is a dead give away

AniHawk

Y2Kevbug11 said:
If NiGHTS 2 is as good as SATSR, I'm going on a rampage.

And VF5 is AM2, who has never skipped a beat.

This will probably be either Prope or Sonic Team. If it's Sonic Team, THE END IS NEAR.

SATSR was a good game. Best 3D Sonic, although it's not saying much.

I'd hate it to be Sonic Team USA too. The last thing they did remotely good were the Shadow/Sonic levels from SA2. They'd probably fit in some emo story about how NiGHTS can no longer bring about dreams and you have to help him or some shit. Full with crappy VA.

Maybe if they give it to Prope, Naka can dig up the Air NiGHTS stuff that had been worked on in the Dreamcast days.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dunno sega showed glimpses of brilliance last gen, F-Zero GX remember that? still looks awesome (zomg) and it's one of my favorite racing games ever.

TSA said:

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl to include worldwide online play with monthly tournaments for huge prizes, and New Brawl characters revealed including: Sephiroth, Cloud, Alucard, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mega Man, and more. Megaton Meter Score: 9
- Nintendo based MMORPG which lets you be characters based on all the popular franchises and takes place in the many worlds of Nintendo's franchises. Compatibility between Wii/DS so you can play on-the-go or at home. Megaton Meter Score: 10
- New Legend of Zelda title being produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Hayao Miyazaki and Hironobu Sakagutchi. Miyamoto will design the game, Miyazaki will direct the story and art style, and Sakagutchi will plan the game engine and concept. Anime series to be based on it written and directed by Miyazaki. Both release in Fall 2008. Megaton Meter Score: 10

Here's the Megaton Test:

if gaf didn't had that ONM fiasco, the meter score would've be 11 :D

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
SATSR was a good game. Best 3D Sonic, although it's not saying much.

I'd hate it to be Sonic Team USA too. The last thing they did remotely good were the Shadow/Sonic levels from SA2. They'd probably fit in some emo story about how NiGHTS can no longer bring about dreams and you have to help him or some shit. Full with crappy VA.

Maybe if they give it to Prope, Naka can dig up the Air NiGHTS stuff that had been worked on in the Dreamcast days.

I don't even want to get to debating it, but I'll just say it has serious issues, especially in areas where NiGHTS was strongest (sense of progression/score building, controls, and music lol), but the truth is that Sonic Team (more like "Sonic Team") hasn't had their A game since I was 7...maybe 8 if you count Burning Rangers. I like SA1 better than SATSR, but I'd agree that it is a matter of taste.

The point is that NiGHTS was an absolute classic and arguably the best game on the Saturn and...well, I doubt people will think that of SATSR. So my point is that it has to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Of course, they aren't even the same game, so it's comparing apples to oranges, but I mean that on the whole the level of design and production values have to be significantly enhanced. We'll see.

That's not Sonic Team USA anyway though.

Naka just said he wasn't doing NiGHTS 2, so unless he was bluffing, it is probably in a very precarious situation.

wtf

ZeoVGM

Banned
TSA said:

Here's the Megaton Test:

You actually typed that out.

AniHawk

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't even want to get to debating it, but I'll just say it has serious issues, especially in areas where NiGHTS was strongest (sense of progression/score building, controls, and music lol), but the truth is that Sonic Team (more like "Sonic Team") hasn't had their A game since I was 7...maybe 8 if you count Burning Rangers. I like SA1 better than SATSR, but I'd agree that it is a matter of taste.

The point is that NiGHTS was an absolute classic and arguably the best game on the Saturn and...well, I doubt people will think that of SATSR. So my point is that it has to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Of course, they aren't even the same game, so it's comparing apples to oranges, but I mean that on the whole the level of design and production values have to be significantly enhanced. We'll see.

Naka just said he wasn't doing NiGHTS 2, so unless he was bluffing, it is probably in a very precarious situation.

Personally, I can't think of a situation where NiGHTS's level design could be ****ed up, since most of it takes place on two planes. Then again, that's Sonic Team USA for ya.

Kafel

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
wtf

Famitsu said a long time ago that Naka "left" Sega with Nights under his arm.

S-PONG just said that Naka started the development then Sonic Team is finishing it.

If these are to be believed ( errr, I know it's difficult ), the game may can not be 100% bad -yeh, I'm thinking about Naka's spirit in the game-.

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
Personally, I can't think of a situation where NiGHTS's level design could be ****ed up, since most of it takes place on two planes. Then again, that's Sonic Team USA for ya.

I didn't really mention level design...I particularly think it's not bad in Sonic ATSR. Good length stages, interesting variety, only a few design concepts that make me go, "WTF? Who thought this was fun?" And that's considerably fewer than most Sonic games.

I was more concerned with the game structure. NiGHTS wasn't a very good game if you played it straight through from start to finish, and I almost think the opposite of SATSR...if you could play it straight through without the bullshit missions, it'd be a much better game. So we'll see how the design philosophies mix.

This is, of course, taking for granted that it's "Sonic Team Japan." If it's Sonic Team USA, there's a whole OTHER gaggle of issues to worry about, mainly that their last few projects have been total unplayable ass.

nesmar

just a reminder....

Brilliant sega games last gen:
VF4
Panzer dragoon orta
f zero gx
JSRF

Good sega games last gen:
shinobi
gunvalkyrie
outrun 2
Super monkey ball
yakuza

Brilliant games this gen:
VF5

Good games this gen:
SATSR

this is not including DC games or DC ports

ppl hating on sega can shup up now :eek:

Y2Kev

Kafel said:
Famitsu said a long time ago that Naka "left" Sega with Nights under his arm.

S-PONG just said that Naka started the development then Sonic Team is finishing it.

If these are to be believed ( errr, I know it's difficult ), the game may can not be 100% bad -yeh, I'm thinking about Naka's spirit in the game-.

No:

CVG said:
Following an Official Nintendo Magazine UK back page teaser, NiGHTS looks to be in development but CVG has learnt that original creator Yuji Naka won't be at the helm.

If the rumours of a new NiGHTS game being in development for Wii turn out to be true (read our story on there here), chances are Yuji Naka won't have anything to do with its development.

We recently tracked down the ex-Sega genius Yuji Naka, who left the company last year to form his own start-up Prope, for a catch-up and asked him if he currently has any plans on the table to revisit any of his old Sega properties. We were told flatly that, "At present, I have no such intentions."

So, as I said, unless he's bluffing...

EktorPR

Y2Kevbug11 said:

The point is that NiGHTS was an absolute classic and arguably the best game on the Saturn after Panzer Dragoon Saga
and...well, I doubt people will think that of SATSR. So my point is that it has to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Of course, they aren't even the same game, so it's comparing apples to oranges, but I mean that on the whole the level of design and production values have to be significantly enhanced. We'll see.

Fixed for higher accuracy.

nesmar said:
just a reminder....

VF4
Panzer dragoon orta
f zero gx
JSRF

shinobi
gunvalkyrie
outrun 2
Super monkey ball
PSO ep1/2

VF5

Good games this gen:
SATSR

PSO is DC port and Super Monkey Ball is brilliant.

AniHawk

Onix said:
I hope this is on PS3.

NiGHTS is definitely something I'd like to see in HD.

2uduq1j.gif

EktorPR

nesmar said:
just a reminder....

VF4
Panzer dragoon orta
f zero gx (Uhuh...)
JSRF

shinobi
gunvalkyrie
outrun 2
Super monkey ball
PSO ep1/2

VF5

Good games this gen:
SATSR

F-Zero GX was developed by Amusement Vision under the supervision of Nintendo. It wasn't a "SEGA" game by any means.

Hopefully Wii will have the same effect on Sega as it did on EA. EA's Wii games have surprised a lot of people so maybe Sega games will surprise everyone too. I haven't played Monkey Ball for Wii but I do own and love Sonic and the Secret Rings. So there does seem to be some hope, right?

The Eatable Arab said:
the fact that sega made the magazine pull their cover is a hint, april fools day jokes are also rarely to never cover stories, and the fact that this is 3 magazines touting this same theme is a dead give away
They didn't really pull the cover. It still says NiGHTS, it just replaced the picture of the character with a silhouette.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
PleoMax said:
Can't believe this Shit. Sega will revive this purple bitch but not shenmue hein?

**** you sega.

Off the bat I'd say Nights ain't gonna run no billion dollar tab like Shenmue did.

nesmar

Amusment Vision is as much a part of SEGA as am2 or sonic team, i dont see how nintendo publishing the game makes it any less of a SEGA game since a game studio part of SEGA developed it.

If publisher > developer then i guess the otogi games should be on my list (and probably a couple others).

on a side note AV could make a good nights game i think

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
AniHawk said:
The Shenmue series was only half good. Well, 1/3 good if you count Shenmue Online. NiGHTS was 100% awesome.

Why would you wanna go there for? :(

(though the online part is true)

Don't forget about Yakuza. I didn't play it and a lot of people didn't like it but it was generally seen as a good effort on Sega's part.

I also gotta admit that I'm kinda getting into this Dreams Dreams song in a "songs from musicals that I don't want anyone to know that I like" kind of way. I imagine that for 1997, a song with English lyrics that didn't sound totally asstastic must've been pretty amazing.

EktorPR

nesmar said:
Amusment Vision is as much a part of SEGA as am2 or sonic team, i dont see how nintendo publishing the game makes it any less of a SEGA game since a game studio part of SEGA developed it.

If publisher > developer then i guess the otogi games should be on my list (and probably a couple others).

Nintendo supervised the game as well. F-Zero is a Nintendo franchise, so it wasn't a Sega creation in its entirety.

I almost fear for this game, since everytime GAF hypes a game to the extreme I end up not liking it.
I've never played the original nights, and going by the video's I still don't understand too well what the hell is going on on-screen :) But one thing's for sure: it has a certain atmosphere I really dig, largely due to the music.

Let's see how this plays out.

Raistlin

PleoMax said:
Can't believe this Shit. Sega will revive this purple bitch but not shenmue hein?

**** you sega.

When you consider the budget risk Shenmue would require versus NiGHTS ... you can't be serious?

Top Bottom