• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: "June will be a major test for Iwata"

Way to ignore my actual argument that justifies the point I made (though the home console statement, while fact, will probably ruffle some feathers)

I wouldn't call a company hemoraging market share and profitability while showing no signs of understanding why "fine."

No. I'm saying they're fine because, outside the one time expenditure that is likely to put this FY back into the red, there has been improvement. Things don't suddenly get massively better overnight in the business world. It takes time.

Well, when your CEO not only promises a return to profitability, but a 100 billion yen profit, why should people continue to put their faith in this liar? And if he's not a liar than he is just incompetent. Saying, things don't suddenly get better doesn't cut it here. It also seems unlikely for Nintendo to post a FY profit anytime soon.

The General Meeting is a meting of Shareholders, not a meeting of the board. The General Meeting is where the Board Members are elected. That 77% approval rating is the approval of all shareholders. The board will not have the authority to remove Iwata so long as that Approval rating remains above 60%. Doing so would result in both the loss of Board Members positions as well as law suits against the board for violations of the will of Investors.

It is up to us shareholders to demand change. With Yamauchi (a pillar of Iwata support) gone and his heirs in the process of selling their shares and getting the Yamauchi family influence out, I'm encouraged to see the transformation of the company away from outdated, decaying models and into the realm of profitability.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
See, this I don't get. Mobile is shown to not be that big a thing. Almost all the companies who have gone mobile have had short term gains that then suddenly drop. Last year, the iOS App store made $26b total revenue. Nintendo made $6bn in revenue. For Nintendo to stay where they are, they'd have to have 22% of the iOS market. That's just ridiculous

Is it though? It's not like the competition has set a high bar. Nintendo could easily destroy most of the competition with their IPs and casual game development experience. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if nintendo took a huge percent of iOS sales, as well as increasing iOS revenues overall.

I don't want nintendo to be limited to only touchscreen games, and nintendo doesn't want to be forced into paying royalties to Apple, but I do think they could make a huge impact in the mobile market if they jumped fully in.

Just curious if anyone has come up with a mobile company making continued high revenue growth releasing mobile games yet? I've been Googling, but I can't find anyone, at least not a 'traditonal' publisher.

I ask because multiple people on the 1st page said, or implied, Iwata was wrong on this point. I'm curious to research about these companies.

Quoted for new pages. I'd be curious to see what examples may be out there

mo60

I wouldn't call a company hemoraging market share and profitability while showing no signs of understanding why "fine."
Do you know if what you are saying is true?Maybe iwata and some of the other people high up at nintendo already know what went wrong with the wiiu,but they actually have no choice but to continue to support the wiiu until they can produce another console.

Just curious if anyone has come up with a mobile company making continued high revenue growth releasing mobile games yet? I've been Googling, but I can't find anyone, at least not a 'traditonal' publisher.

I ask because multiple people on the 1st page said, or implied, Iwata was wrong on this point. I'm curious to research about these companies.

Why are you adding the qualifer "traditional publisher"? Who added that besides you?

To answer your question

Rovio
Gameloft
ZeptoLab

So many of these companies are developers and private because of the nature of mobile

Log4Girlz

My wildest fantasies involve getting a new Nintedo system in 2016 which has a slightly higher power budget than the PS4 does (~120W instead of ~100), and uses a similar AMD APU, but more modern to reflect the 2.5-3 year launch gap. It abandons hardware backwards compatability as a concept. And Nintendo invests in significant network infrastructure so as not to recieve shitty gimped 3rd party ports.

Usually this is around the time I'm dreaming about being a billionare and wrestling crocodiles with my hands.

I have the same fantasy, though it is followed with me motorboating Christina Hendricks and Katy Perry.

JoeM86

Is it though? It's not like the competition has set a high bar. Nintendo could easily destroy most of the competition with their IPs and casual game development experience. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if nintendo took a huge percent of iOS sales, as well as increasing iOS revenues overall.

I don't want nintendo to be limited to only touchscreen games, and nintendo doesn't want to be forced into paying royalties to Apple, but I do think they could make a huge impact in the mobile market if they jumped fully in.

It doesn't matter if there's not much quality competition. The marketplace is so oversaturated that it's very hard for anything to actually shine on it, and thus hard to make any actual money.

I'm a strong proponent of them not being on it. I can get behind ideas like today's Google/Pokémon one, but Nintendo going smartphone with actual games? Hell no.

Well, when your CEO not only promises a return to profitability, but a 100 billion yen profit, why should people continue to put their faith in this liar? And if he's not a liar than he is just incompetent. Saying, things don't suddenly get better doesn't cut it here. It also seems unlikely for Nintendo to post a FY profit anytime soon.

That he shouldn't have promised. It's not him being a liar, nor is it him being incompetent. It's the company (not just Iwata. Seriously, people need to stop scapegoating him as the sole reason for everything) being ridiculously hopeful in a turnaround.

Also, Nintendo posted a FY profit last year. Just saying. It wasn't an operating profit, sure, but they posted an overall profit and had a reduced operating loss

Sandfox

Given the way mobile seems to be going Nintendo would have to make a f2p game with IAP just to compete and they would be competing with the exact same models for that one hit which probably wouldn't be worth it to the company if they were to go all in for some reason.

It would be interesting to see them dabble with mobile but there's a reason why you don't see any of the other big Japanese publishers putting their eggs in the mobile basket.

It doesn't matter if there's not much quality competition. The marketplace is so oversaturated that it's very hard for anything to actually shine on it, and thus hard to make any actual money.

Couldn't you have used this argument back in the 1980s as a reason for Nintendo to never get into home console video gaming in the first place?

$199 price with 32 gb
Mario kart pack in game
Unified online

Do it!
black-friday-gif.gif

* The head of a large Chinese investment firm assigned to analyze Nintendo observed that "Nintendo must leverage its intellectual property, such as its characters." As a matter of fact, a few years ago there were rumours that Nintendo was planning to open a theme park based on its characters in Kyoto, but the project has apparently been mothballed.

Ideally they would simply make a deal with Universal Studios (since they have the best creative team in the theme park business) to add a Nintendo land to the existing Universal Studios Japan park. If it works, it can be brought over to Orlando for global profit.

Log4Girlz

Given the way mobile seems to be going Nintendo would have to make a f2p game with IAP just to compete and they would be competing with the exact same models for that one hit which probably wouldn't be worth it to the company if they were to go all in for some reason.

It would be interesting to see them dabble with mobile but there's a reason why you don't see any of the other big Japanese publishers putting their eggs in the mobile basket.

Nintendo should make f2P with IAP, like right now. Just don't publish it under the Nintendo name, use only new IPs, make sure the 3DS gets ports of them and just let the money roll in. If some chump like Gungho can make shit tons of money, so can Nintendo. It would help with their handheld and console endeavors.

Tomohawk

So they are supposed to make a console that is as good as PS4, somehow still using hardware and tech that will allow backwards compatibility with Wii U, and on top of that sell it for $349? Why not just shoot for the moon and say Nintendo should buy EA and Rockstar?

You know what Nintendo should do, buy Microsoft.

Why are you adding the qualifer "traditional publisher"? Who added that besides you?

To answer your question

Rovio
Gameloft
ZeptoLab

So many of these companies are developers and private because of the nature of mobile

Thank you for the articles. Traditional publisher is added by me, yes. I was looking for someone who is more comparable to Nintendo, to be honest, but I'm certainly not limiting the search. Reading through the articles now.

Tomohawk

On this we agree. Hopefully everyone leaves hyped about new games for their favorite platforms.

I feel like we've been saying it would be an exciting e3 when it comes to nintendo every year, and every year people just leave disappointed.
I found last years exciting, but not many others.

Is Iwata really still in the denial phase?

Publicly he can't be in any other position right now. He hasn't fully committed to his plans for real profitability...so he has to stay the course, no matter how silly it might seem.

I wish I knew Iwata personally...to know whether he sincerely is this deluded or it's all a charade to safe face.

Also, Nintendo posted a FY profit last year. Just saying. It wasn't an operating profit, sure, but they posted an overall profit and had a reduced operating loss

FY3/2013 was a Net Profit because of 39.506 billion JPY ($382.6 million) in non-operating Currency Exchange Gains (compared to 27.768 billion JPY losses in the prior year).

That's not really a point you can argue for "Nintendo doing well" when OP Loss was stagnant that year.

It is up to us shareholders to demand change. With Yamauchi (a pillar of Iwata support) gone and his heirs in the process of selling their shares and getting the Yamauchi family influence out, I'm encouraged to see the transformation of the company away from outdated, decaying models and into the realm of profitability.

Profitability ?

Hmm something like this ?

Nintendo-PS4.png

Thank you for the articles. Traditional publisher is added by me, yes. I was looking for someone who is more comparable to Nintendo, to be honest, but I'm certainly not limiting the search. Reading through the articles now.

I'll save you some trouble on the ZeptoLab one as they're a private company so don't release numbers but basically state that 2011 was a great year, and 2012 and 2013 had stronger growth or something along those lines

Gameloft is a good example as it is public and we have the stock history

Rovio is simply worth a massive amount although I suppose its hard to show sustained growth as they are also private and not required to release numbers

Not really? The videogame market had just crashed and a lot of the competition went under.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

Market was open to being dominated by one powerful player at that time

There were a lot of people and companies who thought that there was no real money to be made in video games and that Nintendo was foolish to put out a home gaming console.

You are right though in that there isn't the same open market as currently iOS is doing that. But people seem to think the mobile bubble is heading towards a burst.

Shiggy

One of the best things that could happen to Nintendo now would be Iwata resigning. But if the Tepco/Fukushima drama has shown us one thing about Japanese leaders at companies, he will stay as long as possible, apologise as long as possible, and do as little as possible to improve the situation.

Tomohawk

My wildest fantasies involve getting a new Nintedo system in 2016 which has a slightly higher power budget than the PS4 does (~120W instead of ~100), and uses a similar AMD APU, but more modern to reflect the 2.5-3 year launch gap. It abandons hardware backwards compatability as a concept. And Nintendo invests in significant network infrastructure so as not to recieve shitty gimped 3rd party ports.

Usually this is around the time I'm dreaming about being a billionare and wrestling crocodiles with my hands.

Is it just me or does everyone's dreams suck, last time I had a dream i was in a zombie apocalypse, except instead of zombies it was velociraptors. Have some imagination people.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'm a strong proponent of them not being on it. I can get behind ideas like today's Google/Pokémon one, but Nintendo going smartphone with actual games? Hell no.

We're not talking about just anyone here, we're talking about nintendo. All these mainstream newspapers wouldn't be constantly specifically asking nintendo to go mobile if no one cared about nintendo. If nintendo announced serious development for mobile, nearly everyone would know about it in a week, and all see it as positive news.

I cannot imagine most of nintendo's big IPs not constantly sitting in the top 10. If they can't manage rising to the top of the iOS market place, I don't see them being successful anywhere.

There were a lot of people and companies who thought that there was no real money to be made in video games and that Nintendo was foolish to put out a home gaming console.

You are right though in that there isn't the same open market as currently iOS is doing that. But people seem to think the mobile bubble is heading towards a burst.

Yeah most companies got out of video games as they were burned and thought demand had evaporated overnight basically

Nintendo did bet quite large but turned out well for them.

I sincerely don't believe Nintendo would fare too well long term going mobile though

Let me go run out and buy a PS4 to play a game I could play on another console that costs half as much.

Hmm? What console can you play Super Mario 3D World on that costs $200 now?

Griss

Yeah most companies got out of video games as they were burned and thought demand had evaporated overnight basically

Nintendo did bet quite large but well turned out well for them.

I sincerely don't believe Nintendo would fare too well long term going mobile though

Hmm? What console can you play Super Mario 3D World on that costs $200 now?

I got a Wii U and two games in the Skylanders bundle at Christmas for 200 dollars. If you want it it's out there at cheap prices. Total was Wii U + Skylanders + Nintendoland + Zombi U + Pikmin 3 for about 260. Very reasonable at this stage.

I went ahead and read the articles anyway.

I'll save you some trouble on the ZeptoLab one as they're a private company so don't release numbers but basically state that 2011 was a great year, and 2012 and 2013 had stronger growth or something along those lines

So no definitive proof there.

Gameloft is a good example as it is public and we have the stock history

Do you happen to know the revenue numbers? I'll look, but if you know it might be quicker. Stock doesn't really tell me much.

Rovio is simply worth a massive amount although I suppose its hard to show sustained growth as they are also private and not required to release numbers

And again, no definitive proof.

I'm not being dismissive, I really am just curious because several posters were adamant on the first page about that being false/naive. It's a shame, I guess, most of them are private so it's harder to discern. Thanks for looking up those articles, though.

I got a Wii U and two games in the Skylanders bundle at Christmas for 200 dollars. If you want it it's out there at cheap prices. Total was Wii U + Skylanders + Nintendoland + Zombi U + Pikmin 3 for about 260. Very reasonable at this stage.

WiiU.

Sales are cool.

Eh holiday bundaru hardly counts as standard price. There are a lot of deals but the MSRP is currently $299

I'm not being dismissive, I really am just curious because several posters were adamant on the first page about that being false/naive. It's a shame, I guess, most of them are private so it's harder to discern. Thanks for looking up those articles, though.

What would count as definitive proof in this instance? Revenue numbers over 10 years?

You could probably dig those up for Gameloft as their public

AniHawk

Is it just me or does everyone's dreams suck, last time I had a dream i was in a zombie apocalypse, except instead of zombies it was velociraptors. Have some imagination people.

i had a dream we were in a van driving from an earthquake-fueled apocalypse. it might have had something to do with the 5.1 about 20 miles away and the 15 hours of sleep i'd gotten that week but i'm pretty sure our band of survivors beat the earthquakes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

But what IPs do other japanese publishers have to work with? Resident Evil? Metal Gear Solid? Final Fantasy? No one cares about those games outside of XBox and Playstation gamers who don't want to play phone games anyhow.

They don't have the same target demographic that Nintendo has, and Nintendo's target demographic are the ones that are playing games on phone now.

Tomohawk

We're not talking about just anyone here, we're talking about nintendo. All these mainstream newspapers wouldn't be constantly specifically asking nintendo to go mobile if no one cared about nintendo. If nintendo announced serious development for mobile, nearly everyone would know about it in a week, and all see it as positive news.

I cannot imagine most of nintendo's big IPs not constantly sitting in the top 10. If they can't manage rising to the top of the iOS market place, I don't see them being successful anywhere.

They should probably dip their toes in smart phone gaming by releasing their touch and wii titles, like brain age and etc. on it since theoretically the target audience moved from wii and ds to smart phones.

Iwata looks to the long term.

Laughable.

He's had 10+ years to repair problems with droughts and third-parties, and he hasn't.

He had no foresight about where the casual market would go. And he's off to chase them again.

He said gamers didn't want online at a time when building an online foundation would've been most important. Nintendo still struggles with online.

He had no foresight about where the home console market would go when he gutted Western partnerships.

He had no idea that the line-up of same ol' games he's been shoveling had diminishing returns.

He thought he could abandon the Wii for two years and reuse the same brand with a modifier. Not only did this result in confusion over the product, but the brand was toxic anyway.

He bet on 3D, which got bad press for young children and seems to just be a passing movie fad every 20-30 years.

He bet on the GamePad, which had and has zero killer apps.

Iwata is incredibly short-sighted. Even when he's successful, as with the blue ocean, he has no idea where it's going.

What would count as definitive proof in this instance? Revenue numbers over 10 years?

You could probably dig those up for Gameloft as their public

Actual numbers over at least a couple of years. I mean, I'm not just going to take the company's say so; I'm not that naive. This is partly why I was focusing on traditional publishers in my own searches, since many of them are public, so it's easier to find numbers. Looking for Gameloft stuff now, though.

Gameloft Revenue YOY Growth:

4BAUqgv.jpg

Thank you!

This was never going to happen unless Nintendo opens it's cheeks, and they have the money to avoid that. Everything else is hindsight.

We can see in hindsight how much Iwata lacked foresight. If the argument is that Iwata is so much better than those awful mobile people because he thinks long term, then none of his decisions have shown that he actually thinks in the long term.

Sandfox

But what IPs do other japanese publishers have to work with? Resident Evil? Metal Gear Solid? Final Fantasy? No one cares about those games outside of XBox and Playstation gamers who don't want to play phone games anyhow.

They don't have the same target demographic that Nintendo has, and Nintendo's target demographic are the ones that are playing games on phone now.

Its not just Nintendo gamers playing on mobile and there's no reason to just assume that they are Nintendo's target audience.

The franchises you mentioned are bigger than a majority of what Nintendo puts out so I wouldn't say that nobody wants to play them lol.

Top Bottom