• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: "June will be a major test for Iwata"

Chindogg

Will Nintendo have a conference this year? Last year was a mistake. REALLY hope they have one this year.

They had one of the largest booths at E3 last year and three separate events at E3. Seriously people need to get off the "they weren't at E3" nonsense.

JordanN

Banned
The worst thing that could happen to Nintendo would be for the man hand-picked by Yamauchi to take over his position was ousted because investors aren't happy.
Sounds like the best thing.

Yamauchi philosophies have been killing Nintendo since forever. They need someone who doesn't think like Yamauchi.
Edit: So people don't read into this, I'm obviously talking about the console business.

So is it possible Iwata will be out by June of this year?

Let's suppose we're in a situation where the Board is stacked with Iwata's yes-men, and we have the following happen in June 2014:

Iwata, 2010:
Approve: 952,201
Oppose: 19,072
Approval Rating: 96.74%

Iwata, 2011:
Approve: 932,379
Oppose: 48,339
Approval Rating: 92.89%

Iwata, 2012:
Approve: 913,453
Oppose: 83,740
Approval Rating: 90.60%

Iwata, 2013:
Approve: 772,384
Oppose: 218,960
Approval Rating: 77.26%

Iwata, 2014:
Approve: 490,000
Oppose: 510,000
Approval Rating: 49%

With this result, Iwata won't be re-elected to the Board of Directors in June nor will he be the Chairman of the Board. This is incredibly shameful and he should retire as CEO at this point, but if he doesn't, he can still stay in power as CEO.

I believe it's up to the Board on whether or not to fire Iwata as CEO. Before they were a bunch of yes-men, but if Iwata isn't getting re-elected...they may have other plans for him (an early retirement as CEO).

But just because he doesn't get re-elected to the Board doesn't mean he automatically loses his CEO position. That's separate.

Sipheren

Banned
They had one of the largest booths at E3 last year and three separate events at E3. Seriously people need to get off the "they weren't at E3" nonsense.

This is true but there is an extra something you get from a major E3 show that is missed with the Direct, and Nintendo needs all the coverage and hype they can get.

I would be very surprised if we don't see Miyamoto, Aonuma, Iwata and Reggie all on stage dropping the bombs.

A Nintendo theme park that's like the Ghibli Museum or Disneyland would be incredible.

Yes that's what the problem is. LOL

Marketing/promotion has been one the biggest problems with the WiiU. They've practically sabotaged the console themselves by their incompetent ad-campaign strategies or lack there of.

Oddduck

Let's suppose we're in a situation where the Board is stacked with Iwata's yes-men, and we have the following happen in June 2014:

Iwata, 2012:

Iwata, 2013:

Iwata, 2014:
Approve: 300,000
Oppose: 700,000
Approval Rating: 30%

His approval rating dropping 47% in a single year...

I realize that's just a hypothetical scenario, but doesn't that seem a little overly dramatic?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3DS isn't a complete disaster.

I realize that's just a hypothetical scenario, but doesn't that seem a little overly dramatic?

There, I changed it to 49% and 51%.

The point is that Iwata doesn't get the majority of votes, so he isn't elected. :p

Chindogg

This is true but there is an extra something you get from a major E3 show that is missed with the Direct, and Nintendo needs all the coverage and hype they can get.

I would be very surprised if we don't see Miyamoto, Aonuma, Iwata and Reggie all on stage dropping the bombs.

Does the average person really give a shit about the E3 stage? Or just us who want a show? As long as there's coverage, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Every year E3 is discussed as some holy grail but quite often sales don't reflect E3 showings. I've wondered why people put so much stock into E3.

Nintendo was at 9.6 Billion US in Cash & Equivalents (Short-term investments) as of Q3.

1.1 Billion Stock-Buy Back
350 Million Loss Fiscal Year
130 Million paid in Dividends

9.6-1.6 Billion (total of above for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2014)= 8 Billion

Where did the other 3 Billion go if Nintendo is ''only'' over 5 Billion lol?

Off the top of my head they built a new office(s?). May have made some acquisitions too. Most of the outflow was from investments, not losses.

Nintendo needs to be more like Sony, or at least see WHY PS4 is the hot console right now.

People put up with the Wii's shortcomings because it was cheap ($250), had something not seen before (Wiimote) and had mass market appeal (with games like Wii Sports at the forefront, core gamers had the joy of using the Wiimote for shooters which many agree is second to only the mouse, hell arcade racers are fun with tilt).

Wii U is too pricy and honestly the biggest appeal is Off-TV play. But I think we're in an era where the mass market do pay attention to the specs, the numbers, the technical babble, if it sounds flashy, it's good, that sort of thing. :p

Obviously the biggest flaw of Wii U is its horrendous lack of support. Yeah we're getting Nintendo's IPs, but they alone can't carry a platform. Lots of 3rd-parties are either 100% non-existent (EA, 2K, etc) to dropping fast (Ubisoft, Warner in terms of core games).

Japan is even worse. Only Sega, Namco Bandai, Capcom and Tecmo Koei give it the time of day. I mean MARVELOUS is absent, NO HARVEST MOON, that's fucking Nintendo Japanese tradition! :( And the three mentioned only throw occasional support. Outside of Sonic Boom, what's from Sega? Outside of Hyrule Warriors, what's from TK? Outside of Monster Hunter Frontier GG, what's from Capcom? Outside of One Piece: Unlimited World R and Kamen Rider: Battle ride 2, what's from BN?

This CANNOT go on. Nintendo needs to be AGGRESSIVE. Even if for exclusives only, start paying publishers, talk to more of them (did you know Samurai Warriors 3 Wii happened ONLY because Nintendo asked for it? Wat Edit: Don't know if they literally just asked, here's the source). Nintendo needs to get that software from 3rd-parties above all else.

They need to shake up the industry not with a gimmick, but the right games. Games for the core that are not gimped ports (very few are actually superior and even fewer I think are 1:1 content wise).

You get the idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3DS isn't a complete disaster.

When you promise such a large profit, and have such a stacked year in terms of software and still have a bad year, then I have to imagine their will be a signficant backlash.

Replicant

*Iwata said "only after playing the WiiU is it possible to understand its appeal.

NOPE. I don't need to play it to see that it won't appeal to me. I don't want to waste money buying 7 year old tech when I already played a console with similar tech ever since 7 years ago.

Tomohawk

Again with the company-line rhetoric.

He's only saying this non-committal response because he has to save face from the Wii U disaster and he isn't ready to unveil plans for his potentially more successful, upcoming corporate strategies yet.

At least there is QoL as a hope for Iwata's future, as well as a potential successor to the 3DS.

I agree with it just being PR, but the more time that passes the more i'm skeptical that QoL is going to be as unique and impactful as the investor meetings made it seem.

catmario

Iwata, 2010:
Approve: 952,201
Oppose: 19,072
Approval Rating: 96.74%

Iwata, 2011:
Approve: 932,379
Oppose: 48,339
Approval Rating: 92.89%

Iwata, 2012:

Iwata, 2013:

Iwata, 2014:
Approve: 490,000
Oppose: 510,000
Approval Rating: 49%

With this result, Iwata won't be re-elected to the Board of Directors in June nor will he be the Chairman of the Board. This is incredibly shameful and he should retire as CEO at this point, but if he doesn't, he can still stay in power as CEO.

I believe it's up to the Board on whether or not to fire Iwata as CEO. Before they were a bunch of yes-men, but if Iwata isn't getting re-elected...they may have other plans for him (an early retirement as CEO).

But just because he doesn't get re-elected to the Board doesn't mean he automatically loses his CEO position. That's separate.

Iwata on 2014 seems too dramatically, I think iwata will remain as ceo barely by aquire 50-60% rate.

I can't fathom why anyone would be optimistic for E3.

Nintendo's hasn't had a good E3 since 2010. Their last three have been terrible.

Nintendo's games line-up has been more conservative than ever, and now they have even less incentive to take risks since their install base is so low. Don't expect big-budget reboots of StarFox or F-Zero. And don't expect new IP. They also likely have no third-party surprises coming.

If they talk about any new ideas in software, it'll likely be for their new "non-wearable" platform. If it fails spectacularly, that's bad for Nintendo and probably not great for their fans. If it succeeds spectacularly, that's great for Nintendo, but, again, probably not great for their fans. The "third pillar" of GBA looms large.

The truth is this:
  • Iwata greenlit direct sequel after sequel in Nintendo's least creative period ever.
  • Iwata shuttered Western development and partnerships.
  • Iwata couldn't figure out how to solve 10+ years of droughts.
  • Iwata still thinks online is a quaint diversion.
  • Iwata rejected third-party support because he couldn't figure out how to "manage" them.
  • Iwata oversaw two disastrous and overpriced launches.
  • Iwata bet the house on arbitrary inclusions like 3D and the GamePad with no killer apps for either.
  • Iwata's solution to a useless GamePad and a myopic focus on kids and "families" was to double down on both.

I would call Iwata a deadweight, but he's worse. His ideas are actively hurting the company and driving them further into irrelevance. He admitted way too late that he "misread" the market, but his ego won't let him admit that he's not the person to fit it.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo going mobile, but the best thing for the company and its fans would be if Nintendo found new leadership. Not that I have any hope for that after January's shareholder presentation...

Sipheren

Banned
Does the average person really give a shit about the E3 stage? Or just us who want a show? As long as there's coverage, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Every year E3 is discussed as some holy grail but quite often sales don't reflect E3 showings. I've wondered why people put so much stock into E3.

I was one to agree with E3 shows not being that much of a deal, but look at MS and Sony, MS copped it bad due to their presentation and Sony gained massive praise (it was even mentioned on the morning news show here in Aus). I think it generates more hype and attention in the general gaming population than we would have thought.

I thought the E3 Direct was good, but when compared to a live audience giving applause and getting pumped for announcements, it doesn't really stack up. Nintendo need to turn up and own E3 if they want the Wii U to have any chance for the next few years.

Arya Stark

Neo Member
NOPE. I don't need to play it to see that it won't appeal to me. I don't want to waste money buying 7 year old tech when I already played a console with similar tech ever since 7 years ago.

But you don't understand. The gamepad is so good when your wife is watching TV and you only have one TV for some reason.

Game Guru

Sounds like the best thing.

Yamauchi philosophies have been killing Nintendo since forever. Having someone who is completely open minded can only do good for the company as it means they're not held back by outdated thinking.
Edit: So people don't read into this, I'm obviously talking about the console business.

The problem is that anyone who replaces Iwata is going to go all-in on mobile. Why? Because every other Japanese publisher has gone all in on mobile except for a few specific franchises. Nintendo won't improve the Wii U's or 3DS's sales and they won't make PlayStation and Xbox games, but instead, they'll make mobile games, pretty much ensuring that Japan as a whole is lost to mobile.

Dicer

Banned

You are the worst kind of gamer....

OT: Iwata gonna Iwata....even I don't think they will bring the needed push this E3, unless they have some secret weapon.

FluxWaveZ

The problem is that anyone who replaces Iwata is going to go all-in on mobile. Why? Because every other Japanese publisher has gone all in on mobile except for a few specific franchises. Nintendo won't improve the Wii U's or 3DS's sales and they won't make PlayStation and Xbox games, but instead, they'll make mobile games, pretty much ensuring that Japan as a whole is lost to mobile.

Nintendo isn't the last bastion for non-mobile Japanese publishing/development.

Chindogg

I was one to agree with E3 shows not being that much of a deal, but look at MS and Sony, MS copped it bad due to their presentation and Sony gained massive praise (it was even mentioned on the morning news show here in Aus). I think it generates more hype and attention in the general gaming population than we would have thought.

I thought the E3 Direct was good, but when compared to a live audience giving applause and getting pumped for announcements, it doesn't really stack up. Nintendo need to turn up and own E3 if they want the Wii U to have any chance for the next few years.

MS copped it bad because of all the DRM rumors floating around that spread to the common folk. Hell they still have a stigma of being the Spybox after changing all their policies before launch. Sony is getting the 3rd parties and that's all anyone cared about to put them over the top. Pair that with a dynamite marketing campaign and they're crushing it in hardware.

E3 is for us, the super enthusiasts. But we're not the ones buying the majority of PS4s out there. That's the common folk and they don't give a shit about E3 beyond what some mainstream outlet tells them.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but mobile is never going away. It's only going to get bigger in both Japan and the west. Nintendo would never go all in on mobile because it would mean destroying a large portion of the company.

E3 is for us, the super enthusiasts.

Not really. It's for investors, the news media, and vendors, etc. These companies aren't spending millions of dollars on these events to get a few thousand internet fans hyped.

JordanN

Banned
I still don't buy that they have to go all mobile.

What happened to all that "restructuring and hiring" for Wii U/3DS I've been hearing about? You're telling me a new CEO would dissolve all that?

It's very probable Nintendo would start making mobile games and I wouldn't blame the CEO for thinking that. But giving up the console business entirely makes no sense when they still have teams to support it.

Off the top of my head they built a new office(s?).

IIRC, in addition to the new development head quarters, Intelligent Systems also received a brand new building as well.

Do you play games or technology?

IIRC, in addition to the new development head quarters, Intelligent Systems also received a brand new building as well.

Are you sure Intelligent Systems received a brand new building? I think it was just a building owned by some other company that Intelligent Systems renovated.

Tomohawk

The worst thing that could happen to Nintendo would be for the man hand-picked by Yamauchi to take over his position was ousted because investors aren't happy.

I don't see how that would be bad for Nintendo. Yamauchi definitely had an eye for talent and choosing Iwata to succeed him may have been the best decision at the time, since he guided the company through the DS and Wii era, but that does not mean its still true.

*approval ratings*

So are you saying you're an expert on Japanese culture?
:p

A thread on this topic was already created here but was locked. This is my (rough) translation of the original Japanese source here. Things look bad for Iwata, he has declining support within Nintendo.

Summary:
* Nintendo rejected the suggestion of a Hong Kong investor that Nintendo move towards smartphone games with the observation "are there any companies that have had sustained revenue growth from smartphone games?"
* The head of a large Chinese investment firm assigned to analyze Nintendo observed that "Nintendo must leverage its intellectual property, such as its characters." As a matter of fact, a few years ago there were rumours that Nintendo was planning to open a theme park based on its characters in Kyoto, but the project has apparently been mothballed.
* These comments on Nintendo's existing properties reflect the irritation of investors who believe that the company has not found new sources of revenue.
*Consolidated profits and earnings for the fiscal year ending in March showed a loss of 35 billion yen, (compared to a 36.4 billion yen loss the year previously) representing three consecutive years of losses.
*Iwata said "only after playing the WiiU is it possible to understand its appeal. Low sales are due to the console being not well-enough known." Within the company, proposals for how to play the WiiU are being considered.
*Current cash reserves are over 500 billion yen, but whether Iwata will be given unlimited time is a separate question.
*At the general meeting in March 2011, Iwata was reappointed with 92.89% of the vote, but in 2013 he was reappointed with only 77.26%.
*This coming June will be a major test for Iwata.

How can it be well known if there is practically zero marketing or advertising for it? I've never seen such an under-promoted product like this. I see PS4 and XBone commercials and marketing all the time. Wii U....extremely rare. Yeah, a good E3 will most likely shape and be crucial for Nintendo's future.

The worst thing that could happen to Nintendo would be for the man hand-picked by Yamauchi to take over his position was ousted because investors aren't happy

I feel like this "hand picked" nonsense is some bad meme. Why in the world should anyone care that Yamauchi picked him if he isn't doing a good job?

Yeah, a good E3 will most likely shape and be crucial for Nintendo's future.

No it won't. They aren't launch a new console anytime soon and the Wii U isn't recovering anyway. The 3DS is probably not getting a successor announcement until next year. The QOL platform will probably be the big focus, but I highly doubt E3 is the type of place where it will get a good reception.

Into

This notion that Iwata is the perfect CEO for Nintendo is comical. Which is the implication when people say nobody could do a better job than him. If Iwata is the perfect CEO for them, and this is the result then Nintendo as a whole is in a rotten state. Imagine if a "lesser" CEO ran the company than the perfect Iwata? The buildings in Kyoto would be on fire, and they would sell Mario IP to Microsoft, is that (fantasy) that people defending Iwata fear?

When did Yamauchi become this holy figure who did no wrong? That man (RIP) made plenty of mistakes on his own, as every business man has done at some point. Its getting to a point where its almost cult like to think that a higher being like Yamauchi could never be wrong about anything and Iwata is the chosen one, the only man capable of leading Nintendo.

I dont think Nintendo is in a rotten state, nor do i think Yamauchi/Iwata are infallible, it looks like nostalgia to me when people argue to keep Iwata. "Well he had success before!?". Yeah great, that does not mean you keep a CEO forever just because he had success before, if that was the case, companies would keep CEOs for decades on their past achievements.

Are you sure Intelligent Systems received a brand new building? I think it was just a building owned by some other company that Intelligent Systems renovated.

Maybe not, hence the IIRC.

In random trademark news, Nintendo trademarked Aquario (Aquite/Aquia), a DSiware game by skip, back in October. Maybe a sequel is coming? They also snagged Tomodachi Life, so maybe that's to be the Western/NA name. (NCL does trademark the Western names of their games/products too).

zychi

Banned
Isnt Nintendo loaded with a ton of cash on hand?
Sony as a company overall is losing money.
ms is actively trying to sell its money pit that is the xbox division

And all the internet can talk about is how Nintendo is doomed.
Mario kart+smash+Zelda will make Nintendo more than enough to break even with the wii u.
3ds is selling good apparently.

Why is this rehashed 10 times a week on gaming forums?

Chindogg

Mario kart+smash+Zelda will make Nintendo more than enough to break even with the wii u.

To be fair there's actual news about this topic this time. Nintendo in the short term's in rough shape and investors are antsy. We'll see what happens.

Why is this garbled ill informed post rehashed? This topic has nothing to do with Nintendo being doomed.

It's kinda in the vein of "Nintendoomed fire Iwata" that's so often pitched in many threads so I can see how he'd be confused.

Why is this garbled ill informed post rehashed? This topic has nothing to do with Nintendo being doomed.

JordanN

Banned
Another reason I don't see Nintendo going all mobile.

Bayo 2, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Smash bros, X, Zelda.

Nintendo could still make a cheap buck off them in the console industry. Maybe sell them as "new 1080p remasters" and bundle them with other games. Something like The Orange Box.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yes that's what the problem is. LOL

Yeah...that's not a good sign if Iwata thinks that's the problem the Wii U is facing. There's plenty of reasons it's not doing well - the tech wasn't built with next-gen in mind, for one. Then they have the whole brand misunderstanding that certainly didn't help them. It doesn't seem too good when Rocksteady is not releasing Arkham Knight on Wii U because they don't believe the system could handle what they are trying to do -- they essentially lumped the Wii U in with last gen.

With that said, I wouldn't say there's nothing that Nintendo can do to save the Wii U. It just needs to take a drastically different approach than try to directly compete with the Xbox One and PS4. It's gonna need to essentially have games built for it in mind -- and not just games from Nintendo.

AzaK

At this point, as a gamer and a Nintendo stock holder Iwata needs to go and we need to see what someone else would do. I also realise that more than just him need to go; the whole top level brass need a shake up.

At the point their stock and gaming mindshare is now, I would be happy to see a complete up turn of the company with someone who has really bold and interesting ideas.

NOTE: This DOES NOT mean I welcome NintediOS. Moving all their games there would be a fucking disaster. However I do think that they need to branch out into many more areas.

lenovox1

Yup. Nintendo has to fucking bring it at this year's E3 as far as the Wii U goes. Price drops, new games, etc. If Nintendo has another bad E3, the Wii U is as good as dead[...]

I don't know if investors will be looking toward the Wii U's future this coming E3. I think they'll be looking toward that great QoL hope.

zychi

Banned
Yes, I could see how for someone who didn't actually read anything.
So the op isn't about how investors want Nintendo to changes things up, followed by suggestions of removing Iwata, fake stockholder votes, and going to mobile? Because that's what all of these threads seem to be lately. Nintendo is doomed for the 100th time in 2014.

Or you could read the thread and posts above yours.

Replicant

But you don't understand. The gamepad is so good when your wife is watching TV and you only have one TV for some reason.

Heee. Maybe Nintendo assumes Wii U owners can't afford more than one TV.

You are the worst kind of gamer....

#GraphicWhoreAndProud xoxo

Can't it be both? If I want to play games with last-gen graphic, I have my PS3. If I don't care about graphics then I'd be sticking with my Atari and Tetris and not acting hypocritical, pretending graphics/tech don't matter. But I do like graphics.

Lenardo

Banned
Craziest idea I had for Nintendo.

This e3 bite the proverbial bubble, announce the new Nintendo game system.

Full backwards compatible with wiiu, specs comparable to ps4, at worst better than xboxone.

Full account system, gamepad with boosted display- 720 p,

And. Moneyhet a few major third party franchises to be timed exclusives

Like assassin's creed or the like.

Trade in offer all wiiu owners can trade in their wiiu for 100 dollars and get new system. Sign up with Nintendo they send packing slip, you box wiiu, they send you new system.

Price 349 otherwise

AzaK

Nintendo needs to be more like Sony, or at least see WHY PS4 is the hot console right now.

People put up with the Wii's shortcomings because it was cheap ($250), had something not seen before (Wiimote) and had mass market appeal (with games like Wii Sports at the forefront, core gamers had the joy of using the Wiimote for shooters which many agree is second to only the mouse, hell arcade racers are fun with tilt).

Wii U is too pricy and honestly the biggest appeal is Off-TV play. But I think we're in an era where the mass market do pay attention to the specs, the numbers, the technical babble, if it sounds flashy, it's good, that sort of thing. :p

Obviously the biggest flaw of Wii U is its horrendous lack of support. Yeah we're getting Nintendo's IPs, but they alone can't carry a platform. Lots of 3rd-parties are either 100% non-existent (EA, 2K, etc) to dropping fast (Ubisoft, Warner in terms of core games).

Japan is even worse. Only Sega, Namco Bandai, Capcom and Tecmo Koei give it the time of day. I mean MARVELOUS is absent, NO HARVEST MOON, that's fucking Nintendo Japanese tradition! :( And the three mentioned only throw occasional support. Outside of Sonic Boom, what's from Sega? Outside of Hyrule Warriors, what's from TK? Outside of Monster Hunter Frontier GG, what's from Capcom? Outside of One Piece: Unlimited World R and Kamen Rider: Battle ride 2, what's from BN?

This CANNOT go on. Nintendo needs to be AGGRESSIVE. Even if for exclusives only, start paying publishers, talk to more of them (did you know Samurai Warriors 3 Wii happened ONLY because Nintendo asked for it? Wat Edit: Don't know if they literally just asked, here's the source). Nintendo needs to get that software from 3rd-parties above all else.

They need to shake up the industry not with a gimmick, but the right games. Games for the core that are not gimped ports (very few are actually superior and even fewer I think are 1:1 content wise).

You get the idea.

Thing is, Sony saw that appealing to gamers was the way to go. There was negative sentiment around a long generation. Negative sentiment around the crazy architecture and arguably slightly "weaker" power of the PS3 (re 360 being lead). Negative sentiment around the price. Negative sentiment around Sony's arrogance. Basically they saw their audience and thought "OK, we fucked up and we need to do right by them".

Nintendo on the other hand really, honestly, don't give a single flying fuck about their customers. If they can get kids to buy they happy. If they can forget core gamers and get a new casual audience to buy, they are happy. If all of a sudden Nintendo saw that selling software to cosmonauts was where they could get more money they would be making shit for them in the blink of an eye. They do.....not....care about their loyal gaming audience in any way, shape or form. If they did they would not be doing what they have been doing the last 8 or so years since Wii released.

Full backwards compatible with wiiu, specs comparable to ps4, at worst better than xboxone.

Trade in offer all wiiu owners can trade in their wiiu for 100 dollars and get new system. Sign up with Nintendo they send packing slip, you box wiiu, they send you new system.

Price 349 otherwise
my sides

please think of my sides next time

Price 349 otherwise

Craziest idea is an apt description of this plan.

Price 349 otherwise

So they are supposed to make a console that is as good as PS4, somehow still using hardware and tech that will allow backwards compatibility with Wii U, and on top of that sell it for $349? Why not just shoot for the moon and say Nintendo should buy EA and Rockstar?

I still think it's funny that people think that if all things were equal, people would wait, or pay more, for a system with equivalent tech to PS4 or Bone just because of the Nintendo name. Like they are on equal footing with the core console gaming audience. It's like people think time froze in 1994 and everyone is going to think this new Nintendo system is the successor to the wildly popular and successful SNES. Like console gaming tastes and trends, especially among core gamers, haven't wildly changed in the last 20 years. I hate to kill this dream I hear repeated so often here, but Nintendo releasing a system with equal power to the PS4/XboxOne 2 years late to the market and just expecting consumer and third party support to magically appear is not happening. A console in that scenario would be sent out to die.

Top Bottom