• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

I want to see a Mario that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom. They really haven't had one since Mario 3.

Mario World was on Dinosaur Island
Yoshi's Island was on Yoshi's Island
Mario 64 took place inside paintings
Sunshine was on that Island w/e it was called
Galaxy was in space

NSMB was in the mushroom kingdom but it wasn't really a main mario game. I'd love to see the Mushroom Kingdom from Mario 1 and 3 done in 3d.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Eteric Rice said:
They already did.

588469_47115_front.jpg

So, wait. He's flying out of a Tyrannosaur's mouth and narrowly avoiding Abraham Lincoln's villainous windscreen-smudging fingers? And Beethoven just casually watches all this happen.

I never played this game but the boxart alone is fucked up.

NeonZ

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I want to see a Mario that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom. They really haven't had one since Mario 3.

Galaxy was in space

NSMB was in the mushroom kingdom but it wasn't really a main mario game. I'd love to see the Mushroom Kingdom from Mario 1 and 3 done in 3d.

Mario 3 wasn't in the Mushroom Kingdom either. :lol Same world, but Mario never actually visits the Mushroom Kingdom in that game, just like in Mario World and Sunshine.

Oliver.S

Galaxy was in space

Of course it was.

NeonZ said:
Mario 3 wasn't in the Mushroom Kingdom either. :lol Same world, but Mario never actually visits the Mushroom Kingdom in that game, just like in Mario World and Sunshine.

I did not know that. I always assumed it was.

Oliver.S said:
Of course it was.

I'm not touching that argument. Change "main" to "console" if you want.

Wiki is making it even more confusing

Super Mario Bros. 3 is set in the Mushroom World, a collection of eight kingdoms. Seven of these are "Mushroom Kingdoms", and are ruled by independent Mushroom World kings. The eighth world is referred to as "Dark Land", and is ruled by Bowser, King of the Koopas. The instruction manual for the game states Bowser had taken over the Mushroom Kingdom, and the Mushroom Kingdom is a gateway to the Mushroom World, but this is never elaborated upon in Super Mario Bros. 3 or any other game.

So there's seven Mushroom Kingdoms?

Joei

Nintendo probably ate some mushrooms before they did the manual.

TreIII

It's best if you don't try to make that much in the way of sense, with regards to the "Mario-verse". :lol

I mean, when you consider the notion that Sarasland (where Daisy hails from), DK and his side of the 'hood, everywhere the Wario has been in his games (including the WarioWare games) and technically, everywhere that Mario and crew have been in at least the later Mario RPGs (I dunno if Mario RPG itself even is relevant any more)...are ALL part of this same world, it can get confusing.

So don't over-think it! Just take it as it comes! :lol

TreIII said:
It's best if you don't try to make that much in the way of sense, with regards to the "Mario-verse". :lol

I mean, when you consider the notion that Sarasland (where Daisy hails from), DK and his side of the 'hood, everywhere the Wario has been in his games (including the WarioWare games) and technically, everywhere that Mario and crew have been in at least the later Mario RPGs (I dunno if Mario RPG itself even is relevant any more)...are ALL part of this same world, it can get confusing.

So don't over-think it! Just take it as it comes! :lol

just ask amir0x i think i remember him understanding the MARIO CANON

I think Nintendo works too hard to reinvent Mario every time they make a new game. Sometimes, all we want is the same idea expanded on, and no one will even be mad if you use the same engine and put the sequel out 1-2 years later.

Fortunately, Galaxy is pretty much the easiest template in the world for Nintendo to keep churning out new levels. I honestly hope we get Mario Galaxy 3 at least before moving on to the next idea. I hate it when we have to wait like 5 years for Miyamoto to come up with some new idea, and then we get Super Mario Sunshine, which was definitely not up to par of other Mario games.

TreIII

EmCeeGramr said:
just ask amir0x i think i remember him understanding the MARIO CANON

Mario Wiki works fine in that respect, too.

It's just that, to me, when even Miyamoto (I believe) has come out and said that there IS NO OVERARCHING CANON for the Mario series, that pretty much should just make it plain that you're not supposed to take it that seriously. I mean, this is a world where slightly-overweight plumbers and big-ass, bipedal turtles can catch more air than some one from a Hong Kong-style Wuxia epic. You kinda have to be able to suspend disbelief altogether. :lol

Any way, at this point, the most I want is just a game that has the Bowser, the Koopalings and Junior, altogether, for once. I don't even need a reason to explain what's been going on with the Koopalings for these last few years since their last appearance, I just want them to bring back some of the more forgotten characters from the Mario mythos.

...While I'm at it...would it hurt them to remember that Birdo, Shy Guys and Bob-ombs are not the ONLY things worthy of note from Mario 2/USA? Let's bring back the likes of Mouser and Fry Guys, at least...

MisterHero

CANON SPECULATION TIME

Well, Yoshi's Island is supposedly when Mario and Luigi are born

unless... Baby Mario and Luigi are actually the sons of Mario/Peach and Luigi/Daisy in some far-off future :O

[/fanfiction]

JKBii

Mario maybe, Wii Fit no way

Congress on Tuesday sent the president legislation that federally mandates that Nintendo must make good games by the deadline of November 15th, 2009.

The Senate had voted 99-0 in favor of the Nintendo Has to Make Good Games Act of 2009 after which the House voted 434-1 to pass the act. Ron Paul (R-TX) was the only Rep to vote against the Bill.

"In the last few weeks, we have cracked down on non games and casuals and helped more struggling gamers keep their games," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. "And in the coming weeks, we will continue to protect gamers ... who keep our market moving, and we will restore their confidence."

However, Rep. Ron Paul, (R-TX) sharply criticized the bill. "The government should not mandate not sucking. Where in the Constitution does it give the Federal Government that power and right? This is not what the founding fathers had in mind." He said in the debate over the bill in the House on Monday.

The bill mandates that Nintendo has to announce at least 2 of 3 of the following by the end of E3 2009: A new original Super Mario game, a new original Metroid game and a new original Legend of Zelda game, both for the Wii. One of the two announced games would have to be released by November 15th, 2009, while the other has to be released March 31st, 2010. The bill also mandates that Nintendo may not release a sequel to WiiFit, Wii Sports Resort or Wii Music until November 15, 2011 at the earliest.

Not included in the final bill is a measure by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., that would have given courts the power to personally approve or deny every Nintendo game that's to be released. President Obama originally included the proposal as a key piece of his Video Game Market Stimulus Plan. However, that part was removed because of objections by Republican and Centrist Democrat Lawmakers, who nearly unanimously voted for the bill after that provision was removed from the Senate bill.

The bill also declines to make threats of specific punishments for Nintendo if they violate the newly passed Federal Mandate, a provision that Republicans and Centrist Democrats also helped strip.

www.realclearpolitics.com/Nintendo

JKBii said:
Mario maybe, Wii Fit no way

But WiiFit is an incredible game!

Some weird activity happening at Nintendo. I keep hearing a lot of cryptic stuff, all giddy, over several things. BIG STUFF. But no one will outright tell me what the fuck is going on. A lot of pre-emptive "Nintendo wins E3!" shit. I guess we'll see Tuesday.

Galaxy was in space

Dude. DUDE. No.

AniHawk

TheGrayGhost said:

Some weird activity happening at Nintendo. I keep hearing a lot of cryptic stuff, all giddy, over several things. BIG STUFF. But no one will outright tell me what the fuck is going on. A lot of pre-emptive "Nintendo wins E3!" shit. I guess we'll see Tuesday.

Final Fantasy VII remake exclusive to the Wii.

I think the game is awful, but it would be incredible just for the meltdowns.

TheGrayGhost said:

wow did you hear that from gaemscooopz

TheGrayGhost said:

Tuesdayton. Believe : (

I'm just relaying to you what I've personally observed and what people supposedly "connected" have said to me. Maybe they're fucking with me, but I don't think so. Like I said, I guess we'll see Tuesday.

Door2Dawn

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
Uh it's e3, it's always like this.

MisterHero

Haunted said:
Mario canon discussion? jesus christ.

*backs away slowly*
All the blocks in Super Mario Bros. 1 are Mushroom Kingdom citizens under the curse of King Koopa's black magic!

Mario ends up destroying tons of them, lol

pakkit

Banned
I remember last year everyone was screaming "Nintendo Wins!" after Motion+ was revealed preempting Microsoft's conference. Unbeknownst to them, that was all they had to to show.

SovanJedi said:
So, wait. He's flying out of a Tyrannosaur's mouth and narrowly avoiding Abraham Lincoln's villainous windscreen-smudging fingers? And Beethoven just casually watches all this happen.

I never played this game but the boxart alone is fucked up.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MisterHero said:
All the blocks in Super Mario Bros. 1 are Mushroom Kingdom citizens under the curse of King Koopa's black magic!

I remember hearing this and being somewhat disturbed

Neiteio

MisterHero said:

Mercy kills. He's putting them out of their misery.

yoopoo

Banned
FYI Nintendo's conference this year is 60 minutes. They'll probably use 15+ minutes for sales talk. And another 20 for Wii FIt+

So 25 minutes for potential gaming things.

yoopoo said:
FYI Nintendo's conference this year is 60 minutes. They'll probably use 15+ minutes for sales talk. And another 20 for Wii FIt+

So 25 minutes for potential gaming things.
What happened to it being two hours long this year?

From me in the IGN Voice Chat thread:

Taking a picture from the Nintendo booth photos:

Upping contrast and inverting:
16kqtqc.jpg

Upping contrast:
2zz20xy.jpg

Blocks, coins, Fire Flowers, and what's obviously the SUPER MARIO BROS. logo, probably with a "Wii" next to it, in the middle of a Wii section.

Top Bottom