• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

Nabs

I thought we were going to go into the Nintendo Conf. w/o a major hype train. Guess I was wrong.

Any room?

Azure J

SonicMegaDrive said:
I don't think I can fathom more than one main console Mario game in a single generation.

I'm really the same way, but I'd love another console Mario game or even trilogy at the same time. It's highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

batbeg

AzureJericho said:
Galaxy says wut.

I could only find Galaxy "great" because of the underwater levels. I still can't enjoy 3D underwater levels, they suck so hard.

My perfect 3D Mario would be Galaxy with something to replace the underwater shit :(

the 2D mario games are magic. and that magic was never fully recreated with 3D. it came very close, especially with galaxy.

i think they need to get rid of the collect-to-progress system for the next one. that'll help.

TreIII

EmCeeGramr said:
We used to get them several times a generation. :(

Yeah. Those were the days. :D

But I think the "gap" between World and Yoshi's Island was the clear enough indicator that we were at an end of an era, even back then. Unless you count the Mario/Wario Land games (but those were made by a different team altogether).

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i think they need to get rid of the collect-to-progress system for the next one. that'll help.

Yeah, I'll co-sign this.

The whole Collecting thing was done to death back in the 64-bit era, and coming back to it through Galaxy was something that I was not really looking forward to, though I was fine with it after awhile.

But really, can we just go back to the Mario World/Yoshi's Island way of doing things? I want a LOT more in the way of individual stages. Galaxy had some nice starts in that arena, and I just desire more.

EmCeeGramr said:
We used to get them several times a generation. :(

It would be awesome if the "sequel" to Galaxy isn't a Mario game at all and more what Yoshi's Island was to World. That way they can have NSMB2 for DS and a sequel to Galaxy.

Azure J

Tyrone Slothrop said:

As much as the collect to proceed didn't bother me, this idea would really catapult the next 3D Mario beyond Galaxy easily imo.

Jiggy

batbeg said:
I could only find Galaxy "great" because of the underwater levels.
Those were actually my favorite parts. Best handling of water I've ever seen in 3D, especially with the shells--they're the only thing in any of the 3D Mario games that approaches the speed of the 2D games that I generally like more.

Edit: Not to say they're my favorite thing in the entirety of 3D Mario; that award still goes to Sunshine's all-platforming levels. But in terms of making constant demands of the player's dexterity, it's good stuff to me.

Out of the four home console generations Nintendo has been a part of (not counting this current one), two have not had more than one mainline Mario and two have.

This assumes, however, that you count Yoshi's Island and not Yoshi's Story. If you count them both, then three have had more than one mainline Mario. If you count neither, one has had more than one mainline Mario.

MisterHero

Tyrone Slothrop said:
the 2D mario games are magic. and that magic was never fully recreated with 3D. it came very close, especially with galaxy.

no way man

Luigi's Purple Coins was THE SHIT

Seriously though if you're talking about the stars, most of the objectives themselves involve having to perform specific platforming tasks, and not have to involve collecting at all.

Is it so different from beating a certain path of stages to pass a world?

ShockingAlberto said:
Out of the four home console generations Nintendo has been a part of (not counting this current one), two have not had more than one mainline Mario and two have.

This assumes, however, that you count Yoshi's Island and not Yoshi's Story. If you count them both, then three have had more than one mainline Mario. If you count neither, one has had more than one mainline Mario.

Including all of their hardware, only the Gameboy and NES had more than one true Mario game. If you think about, those are the only two systems where Nintendo were undisputed. If you think about it some more, the Wii and DS are the first systems since then where they are in a similar position. SNES had competition with Genesis, N64 and Gamecube were both failures, Gameboy Color and GBA got tons of ports.

It's more farfetched to think they won't pull multiple mario games for these systems. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time we see multiple entries of other Mario games (sans Party) like Kart, Smash Bros or the sports games either.

Really, anything can happen. Except Luigi's Mansion 2.

EmCeeGramr said:
this guy is a big fat phony :mad:
holden_spraypaint.gif

Cosmozone

Wasn't there some talk about Sunshine 2 back then. So it could be possibly this. ;) But honestly, I don't believe it's a new full Mario platformer. Would be great, though.

Masked Man

I said wow
EmCeeGramr said:
i asked 4 da infooz and u neva replied >>>>>>>>>:mad:(((((((

t('_'t) <----kirby flippin u off HEH

The Japanese text says: "Following the history of Metroid Prime from the perspective of the Space Pirates." ;)

The only thing we can hope for is NSMB 2 which leaves us with the possibility of a new console Zelda.

If they release Galaxy 2 then there goes the chance of a new console Zelda coming out at the end of the year, although we could still get it coming out in Q1/2 2010.

I personally want the first scenario to play out, I want NSMB 2 now.

laserbeam

Banned
New Wii Mario all but rules out Zelda til late 2010 the earliest but they would have one hell of a show unvieling a Fall 2009 Mario and a Fall 2010 Zelda with pikmin hopefully shown etc

A NSMB 2 I think is a possibility for Wii as Nintendo has really modeled the Wii after the DS in terms of its software releases and NSMB was a sales powerhouse. I thought galaxy was a fine game but some side scrolling goodness would kick butt!

Joei

I skimmed some of the posts here, so excuse me if this was previously mentioned, but if they do release an SMG2, do you think it would have a shorter dev time than if they went for a whole new Mario experience? They pretty much would have the template to work with regarding controls and how the game should feel and look. I'd openly welcome an SMG2 at this point over a whole new creation because it was such a phenomenal game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Joei said:
I skimmed some of the posts here, so excuse me if this was previously mentioned, but if they do release an SMG2, do you think it would have a shorter dev time than if they went for a whole new Mario experience? They pretty much would have the template to work with regarding controls and how the game should feel and look. I'd openly welcome an SMG2 at this point over a whole new creation because it was such a phenomenal game.

That's my belief.

Eteric Rice

Joei said:

I would think so, especially since Galaxy had 2D elements in it. So the engine is already primed for 2D platforming.

I think the only thing that holds back another Mario Galaxy game is that I thought Ninty was disappointed with the sales it had.

Top Bottom