• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

NeonZ

Mario Party didn't sell that much better than Galaxy, so I don't see how a second Mario Party could be used as a system seller. Animal Crossing Wii wasn't a big system seller either, nor have any 2d games on the console performed particularly well.

I think a new mainline Mario (with less emphasis on gravity to create a more accessible experience) or some big new spin-off (like a RPG or some new mini-game compilation using a different formula from Mario Party's) make more sense.

AniHawk

Agalloch said:
New Mario game this year

mario-sonic-aux-jeux-olympiques-d-hiver-wii-004.jpg
This actually makes sense

camineet

Banned
On the other hand, it could be Galaxy 2. Nintendo wouldn't need more than 2 years between Galaxy and Galaxy 2 if they use the same engine as Galaxy, and just make new levels, add new features (motion plus support).

Neomoto

Would Mario & Sonic really fall in line with "a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series"? I don't consider it as a Mario game. Also, the combined total of both versions (Wii and DS) of the original barely matched Galaxy's sales in Japan. So I doubt the game would be a system seller for Wii.

camineet

Banned
Galaxy is by far the best Nintendo game ever made, and Nintendo would't have to re-invent the wheel by making a completely new Mario game. I really hope this is Galaxy 2, really hope it is. So many games get direct sequels, why can't a game as good as Galaxy get at least one? I really hope to fuck this isn't NSMB, Paper Mario, Mario Party or some other spinoff game for Wii, or a DS/DSi game.

AniHawk

camineet said:
Galaxy is by far the best Nintendo game ever made, and Nintendo would't have to re-invent the wheel by making a completely new Mario game. I really hope this is Galaxy 2, really hope it is. So many games get direct sequels, why can't a game as good as Galaxy get at least one? I really hope to fuck this isn't NSMB, Paper Mario, Mario Party or some other spinoff game for Wii, or a DS/DSi game.

I'd really love to see a beautiful Super Mario Bros. 4 (we can pretend for American audiences) done in cel-shading or hi-res sprites for the Wii, crafted lovingly by the original World or 3 team.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be just fine, too, as long as they clean up some of the more annoying aspects (how many damn things do you need to click before you can start a level?).

AniHawk

BrandNew said:

What else would they call it?

I can't believe we've gone so long without a 2 player Mario game on a console. Especially when Wii is supposed to be the ultimate party console or whatever.

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
No, sorry, I was answering your last question, my bad for not clarifying.

Oh. Well, still. It bugged me, especially since it was for every level. There has to be a more streamlined way for level selection.

Also, less story god dammit.

Wow, you want even less story than Galaxy? That was pretty barebones, man. And even the deeper parts of the story were completely optional, too.

AniHawk

I don't want to be pushing A for 15-30 minutes before I hit the first level. And I don't include the tutorial level in that, either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the hub in Galaxy, but the option to quick select levels would be a nice option, I guess.

camineet

Banned
The hub in Galaxy was one of the worst things about the game, in an otherwise near-perfect game. I didn't like that hub. I'd like a hub that's more like the one in Mario 64, that would be awesome.

camineet said:
The hub in Galaxy was one of the worst things about the game, in an otherwise near-perfect game. I didn't like that hub. I'd like a hub that's more like the one in Mario 64, that would be awesome.
You are so wrong. The observatory was the best Mario hub, BAR NONE.

DCX

DCX
will be getting both especially the Wii Fit + I hope Mario is a retro type game. Mario 64 remade as Mario Wii!

DCX

swerve

I loved the Galaxy hub and didn't mind the clicks to enter a stage. The click-related thing I disliked was the number of results and save screens to click through on finishing a stage.

NeonZ

AniHawk said:
I don't want to be pushing A for 15-30 minutes before I hit the first level. And I don't include the tutorial level in that, either.

I really disliked Galaxy's tutorial level, but I don't see why people somehow equate that level to "storyline". It probably would be there even if they had reduced the cutscenes, and it'd still be bad.

Galaxy's hub was... pointless considering the more linear game design. Anyway, I like "neutral" areas in games and it wasn't really intrusive, so I won't complain about it.

What... people seriously don't like the observatory? The hell? The theme music alone is one of the most beautiful tracks in the entire Mario series.

Apenheul

AniHawk said:

The very reason I stopped playing Super Mario RPG right after the intro and never looked back, and that was 20 minutes of pressing A btw.

camineet

Banned
If it is Galaxy 2, I want a new Loop-De-Loop ray surfing level that's much longer, more fun, with much-improved controls (hello MotionPlus!).

raysurfing.jpg

Also, needs more of this:

super-mario-galaxy-20060914080419050_640w.jpg

AniHawk

NeonZ said:
I really disliked Galaxy's tutorial level, but I don't see why people somehow equate that level to "storyline". It probably would be there even if they had reduced the cutscenes, and it'd still be bad.

Rosalina talks just so goddamn much, it drives me crazy. They had this problem in Sunshine too (though it was worse because of voice acting). Mario games don't need a lengthy tutorial. Five minutes, tops.

I thought the mushroom kingdom celebration at the beginning was a neat and clever way to get people used to controls, and thought that would be a tutorial, but no. There's an actual tutorial immediately afterward. No cleverness to be found here.

Cheebs

Mario & Sonic at the Winter Games is coming out this year. And is a Mario game. And it is published by Nintendo in Japan (with the source being Japanese).

Isn't this clearly the obvious choice?

camineet said:
I'm so glad everyone is finally seeing the obvious flaws in this great game. I've been saying this shit for years. And yes, a Mario 64 hub would be amazing.

Cheebs

TheGreatDave said:
3 reasons why it's half as good as Mario 64's castle.

GO!
1. I could find the levels I wanted to go to without wandering around getting lost
2. I could find the levels I wanted to go to without wandering around getting lost
3. I could find the levels I wanted to go to without wandering around getting lost

Masked Man

I said wow
Gosh, even those two screenshots above remind me just how gorgeous Galaxy is. I liked the hub music much more than I liked the hub itself, but it was an interesting setup and was effective in that sense.

Fingers crossed for Galaxy 2! :D

tabsina

evilromero said:
I'm so glad everyone is finally seeing the obvious flaws in this great game. I've been saying this shit for years. And yes, a Mario 64 hub would be amazing.

i was playing it again today, and i've got to agree - more so that the coolest power-up was made to only be used in the boring hub

other than the hub, and the power-up though, i haven't found anything else that i'm not enjoying

I want a truly open world Mario game full of exploration. Start at the Castle re-imagined from Mario 64 and let me roam the hills of the mushroom kingdom. Meeting people/obstacles that grant you quests for your collectables.

loosus

Banned
Why the hell do you need a "hub," anyway? That shit gets in the way. Is it really so beneath you guys that you couldn't possibly use a menu to do the same thing? Do you have so much time to waste that you need a stupid hub to entertain yourself while your mom does your laundry and cooks your food?

Haunted

Mario Party 9 would be OMG awesome.

Cheebs said:
Mario & Sonic at the Winter Games is coming out this year. And is a Mario game. And it is published by Nintendo in Japan (with the source being Japanese).
Possibly. People just generally assume they're talking about a new/unannounced game, or else they would've mentioned the title and not just "a Mario game".

loosus said:
Why the hell do you need a "hub," anyway? That shit gets in the way. Is it really so beneath you guys that you couldn't possibly use a menu to do the same thing? Do you have so much time to waste that you need a stupid hub to entertain yourself while your mom does your laundry and cooks your food?

I say it is time to do away with BOTH hubs and segregated levelsl. Make it all one big seamless world.

EternalGamer said:
I say it is time to do away with BOTH hubs and segregated levelsl. Make it all one big seamless world.

Like....a big sandbox? Or just make it flow in one direction with no break between levels? You know, like the first game.

gkryhewy

Cheebs said:

Isn't this clearly the obvious choice?

No, because Mario & Sonic was so successful that it established its own brand. If Nikkei was referring to Mario & Sonic, they would have named it specifically, and it would have been recognized.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Like....a big sandbox? Or just make it flow in one direction with no break between levels? You know, like the first game.

I mean more like a "sandbox." There would still be tasks just like there are in the other Mario games, but you would just come across them. Miyamoto himself has often said that the Mario series was birthed out of his childhood desire to explore and his imagination that there were "invisible things" everywhere around him. But yet the Mario series has never fully embraced that to let the exploration really open up. It doesn't to be all outside. Maybe there is a pipe that leads to an entire undworld section where you comea cross one of the moles trying to dig a mine that keeps getting blown up by Mouser. So then you have to hunt the mine for Mouser.

The levels would be similar in their objectives, but it would all just flow seemlessly together as one world.

birdchili

the Mario series was birthed out of his childhood desire to explore
pretty-sure that's zelda.

all galaxy's hub needed was the ability to jump to levels from the map (perhaps once you had already visited that "branch") - that would have made a big difference.

Stormbringer said:
This new version of Wii Fit is apparently going to have online functionalities and improved accuracy for the measurements.
How? I assume they wouldn't obsolete the Balance Board, so either its a pretty minor hardware change or they just realized their old software for measurements sucked?

Or there's this other translation of it:
Additionally, a improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control.
So maybe it's just doing new types of measurement? But what?
AniHawk said:
NPC SMS would be damn near impossible, given its reliance on the camera.
So move the C-stick controls to the d-pad? It's been long enough since I played that I don't remember if it being analog was a very big deal.
AniHawk said:
What else would they call it?
Anything. Some years ago (before the release of New Super Mario Bros., Yoshi's Island DS, or Super Mario Galaxy), here's something I wrote about why using a number for New Super Mario Bros. was a Bad Idea:
Me said:
Some would say it should be called SMB4, since the 4 was only used in Japan. Others would say SMB5 even if confusing to many people, since 4 was already used in Japan. Others would say Yoshi's Island should count, so it'd be SMB6. Yoshi's Story never had Mario in the title, but since it's a sequel to Yoshi's Island wouldn't that mean a followup should be SMB7? Maybe the 3D games should count? Perhaps the dual Super Mario Bros. 2s should be accounted for in some way? The old numbering system is a mess best left alone.

CaVaYeRo

JoshuaJSlone said:
How? I assume they wouldn't obsolete the Balance Board, so either its a pretty minor hardware change or they just realized their old software for measurements sucked?

I think it's obviously referring to WM+ measurements for... hands? or something. They wouldn't obsolete it, they'll boost its sales again.

WM+. At least is what I get from that sentence :)

Top Bottom