• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I'm hoping that the Mario game is Paper Mario 3. It will have been five years since The Thousand Year Door came out by the end of this year, so a sequel is overdue by this point.

Galaxy 2 would be awesome, as well.
I'd actually be equally excited for a new Paper Mario RPG as I would be for a new "Galaxy-esque" game.

Okay now that I think about it, maybe not quite as excited. I'd still be satisfied though.

new-smb2.jpg

I, for one, would really hate for something like this to be DSi-exclusive.

Mrbob

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
A certain Nintendo site is listing a translation of the Nikkei report...

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, a improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises destined to aged people, and aiming to lower their body charge will also be added.

Sorry Nintendo but you are a little late. EA Sports active is out.

Teknoman

Dragmire said:
I wouldn't mind a 3D Mario side-scroller by the team that made Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

...Actually, I'd love that.

Same here. Jungle Beat is amazing, and really gives DK more character (with better boss designs) than the Rare games ever had.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there any chance this could just be referring to a stateside release of Mario & Luigi 3?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dragmire said:
I wouldn't mind a 3D Mario side-scroller by the team that made Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

...Actually, I'd love that.

So... the Mario Galaxy team then?

Azure J

Teknoman said:
Same here. Jungle Beat is amazing, and really gives DK more character (with better boss designs) than the Rare games ever had.

So true, I don't think I have ever chuckled so much at Donkey Kong's character prior to Jungle Beat. I especially loved the animations they give him during his boss battles. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, I didn't think so, what with the source being Japanese, but thanks for clarifying guys :)

Deku

Banned
Wii Fitter and New Super Mario Bros 2 (DS) will not save the Wii from 1st party software mediocrity.

And I'm really hoping I'm wrong on the Mario game.

CiSTM

Banned
New Paper Mario game would be sweet. I am not holding my breath for new main series(?) Mario game. I want them to take their time and polish it untill it is perfect as Galaxy was. Would not mind even if next real Mario game would come for Wii 2.

Deku

Banned
CiSTM said:
New Paper Mario game would be sweet. I am not holding my breath for new main series(?) Mario game. I want them to take their time and polish it untill it is perfect as Galaxy was. Would not mind even if next real Mario game would come for Wii 2.

there's literally a new mario game every season, as Mario stars in many spin off genres. So saying there's a new *any* mario game is not going to be news and they would not have reported it.

The gist of the story appears to be a 'proper' Mario game, That is the platformer Mario title.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
tetrisgrammaton said:
Looking back, Super Paper Mario was pretty awesome; I just didn't fully understand it at the time.

Not understanding what? The story? Its mechanics? Its strategy in Nintendo's lineup?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
tetrisgrammaton said:
Looking back, Super Paper Mario was pretty awesome; I just didn't fully understand it at the time.
I really liked it too.

dyls

The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

If the aim of this game is to boost sales in Japan, there is no way in hell it will be a Galaxy sequel. How would a sequel to a game that has yet to crack a million in sales help sell more consoles?

NSMB, on the other hand, was a total success in Japan. A direct sequel on the Wii would have a much better chance moving consoles. I think expecting a 2.5D game in the style of SMB 3 or SMW is entirely reasonable.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'd love for the Mario game to be New Super Mario Bros. 2. However, I also wouldn't mind a new Mario Party game that had online + WiiSpeak support and hey let's exaggerate for a bit and add DLC to the list.

laserbeam

Banned
tetrisgrammaton said:
Did Galaxy do that? They must be talking about Mario Party.

Thats the real question. None of the Mario Games are mega sellers anymore in Japan. So for them to be planning Mario as a system seller it has to be something special

Sloane

Banned
I hope it's Mario Party 9. 8 was kinda disappointing, and I don't really want another Mario platformer that soon. A sequel to Paper Mario GC could be nice though.

Neomoto

As much as I love Galaxy, a sequal wouldn't boost sales because it's a 3D platformer and because most people who would buy it already have a Wii for Galaxy. So as far as Mario system sellers go it would have to be Mario Kart or a 2D platformer. Seeing as there already is a Mario Kart on the system there aren't a lot of choises left. Mario Party didn't outsel Galaxy by that much. A 2D platformer on a handheld would sell insane amounts of software, but will it on Wii? It could also be something totally new, unproven.

I think it will be a RPG. The Wii doesn't have even 1 RPG that has been a huge succes (though Dragon Quest Swords showed there is potential), and the genre is still very big in Japan. Would also help build userbase for Square Enix with Dragon Quest X.

I also think that Nintendo would give their Mario Wii flagship system seller far more time to build hype and momentum instead of announcing it at e3 and release it the same year.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh... oh God, the excitement is welling up in me. This is not good.

Must... remain... pessimistic for... E3!

laserbeam

Banned
It comes down to I think a new Mario Party or a 2D platformer. Mario Party is MIA long enough for a sequel to have been made and a 2D platformer could certainly have been developed in the time since Galaxy.

The whole Wii System seller part about it all is just the tricky part as Mario Party is ok for sales but i don tthink it could be remotely considered a system seller.

A super hot 2D Platformer though could be a huge hit.

GCX

Neomoto said:
I also think that Nintendo would give their Mario Wii flagship system seller far more time to build hype and momentum instead of announcing it at e3 and release it the same year.
Half an year is enough time to build up as much hype as Nintendo wants.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
[Nintex] said:
I guess it's New Super Mario Bros. 2, it would explain why we haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, and it seems to be a no brainer. There's no reason why Nintendo would let a cash-cow like NSMB go untouched.

EatChildren said:
Yeah, and it seems to be a no brainer. There's no reason why Nintendo would let a cash-cow like NSMB go untouched.

Because NSMB already sells incredibly well every month without them having to advertise or make a game.

I'd like NSMB2, I think it may be a bit away still.

Somnid

TheGreatDave said:
Because NSMB already sells incredibly well every month without them having to advertise or make a game.

See and this is why it's interesting. What this news also tells us is that WiiFit which has even more selling power than NSMB is getting a sequel despite it selling so well. So to do that sounds like they must have a really good idea for it otherwise there would be no sense in upsetting already good WiiFit sales.

DSi is going to be a big part of this year's conference. I can only imagine from here on out Nintendo will start pumping out DSi-Enhanced games. Mario is not going to sit on the sidelines for very long.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zelda, Mario and Pokemon for ds seems like a overkill for me...

GCX

I honestly don't believe in the possibility of it being Mario Party. Even though the series has lots of selling power it's never been a flagship title like Mario platformers or Mario Kart and that's why I don't see why Nikkei would make a big deal out of it. There's a high change of Mario Party 9 being shown on some trailer montage but it most probably won't be the big surprise of the show.

I quess it's either NSMB2 or new Wii Mario.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheGreatDave said:

A good point, but I guess a part of me hopes it's untrue so much that I refuse to really believe it. I think Nintendo could get away with revealing NSMB2 as perhaps DSi enhanced (unfortunately) and use it as a special headlining game for that system.

I just want NSMB2 because I know it would be awesome, and because it would be one step closer to nirvana; New Super Mario Bros. 3.

thefro

My guess is the new Wii game would be both a sequel to NSMB and a sequel to Mario Galaxy.

Basically a 2D/2.5D platformer, but with all the crazy gravity elements of Galaxy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
thefro said:
My guess is the new Wii game would be both a sequel to NSMB and a sequel to Mario Galaxy.

Basically a 2D/2.5D platformer, but with all the crazy gravity elements of Galaxy.
Worlds.jpg

Top Bottom