• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

AniHawk

It's gotta be NSMB2. Three years since NSMB vs two years for SMG. DSi needs exclusives or a reason to exist, so some DSi-exclusive features in NSMB2 seem like the way to go. Nintendo will do something else this fall as far as Motion + is concerned for the Wii.

AniHawk said:
It's gotta be NSMB2. Three years since NSMB vs two years for SMG. DSi needs exclusives or a reason to exist, so some DSi-exclusive features in NSMB2 seem like the way to go. Nintendo will do something else this fall as far as Motion + is concerned for the Wii.

Except that a DSi game won't help Wii sales.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Because Galaxy just came out. You don't make the greatest 3D platformer within 2 years either.

What? A year and a half isn't "just came out".

Developers do 2 year sequel cycles all the time. Gears of War, Call of Duty (the real ones) to name a couple. Both GoW2 and CoD4 were great sequels.

I'm hoping Nintendo finally realizes it's OKAY to do sequels. I want Galaxy 2. They can do a brand new type of Mario next gen.

I can't see a new Paper Mario since IS has been said to be working on a new FE.

Yeah, that revealed turned out to be some kind of music CD...

There's still hope though since this year is the 20th anniversary of FE.

What? A year and a half isn't "just came out".

That's not how it works with Nintendo games.

Cow Mengde said:

Isn't IS working on all those DSiWare games with Square?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

But it can. And I'm okay with that. 2 Mario platformers in one gen? That's awesome.

We got two Zeldas on N64 and two on GC. All were fantastic.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
My logic says to me this:

Which Nintendo core franchises are the ones that have sold milions and milions of copies in DS?

mario-kart-nds.jpg

animal_crossing_wild_world.jpg

New_Super_Mario_Bros.jpg

Some people will say to me that Animal Crossing isn´t a hardcore game but I am talking in Nintendo context where core market means their traditional market, the one that existed before DS and Wii were released. Animal Crossing appeared several years before NintendoDS.

Continuing with my logic we have seen tha Animal Crossing and Mario Kart has been ported to Wii with very succesful games:

wiikart.jpg

Animal_Crossing_Wii_Coverart.jpg

The first time that Nintendo shown us Mario Kart Wii was in E3 2007, Animal Crossing appeared in E3 2008 and now E3 2009 is the time for the Super Mario Bros game. But it exist another reason under all this. It is Japan, a Super Mario Bros game in Japan is able to put the sales of the console to the top, they are more popular than the 3D ones.

AniHawk said:
Not happening. I enjoy having a head.
Not your head specifically. Can you imagine the chaos though? Two Mario platformers in one year? It would be like cats and dogs living together. Fire and brimstone from the sky. Real old testament stuff. The 500 errors might never end.

MoogPaul

_Alkaline_ said:
A full-fledged retail 2D Mario on Wii would be orgasmic.

But given the state of 2D on consoles, I doubt it will ever happen.

The state of 2D? The Wii has been getting some kick ass 2D titles.

Wario
Boy and his Blob
Tats vs Capcom
Muramasa

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch

lulz caught the edit.

Neiteio

Why are people saying the Mario game might be for DS? Didn't the translated article say it was for Wii?

A sequel for Galaxy, coupled with all the amazing stuff coming out on other systems, would make this one of the best E3s ever.

MoogPaul said:
The state of 2D? The Wii has been getting some kick ass 2D titles.

Wario
Boy and his Blob
Tats vs Capcom
Muramasa

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch

lulz caught the edit.

Sales-wise though all of them haven't exactly done too well, and the article suggests Nintendo want this Mario to bolster Wii sales.

The real question is can a 2D Mario on Wii perform to the same level, or even better, than Galaxy?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Cow Mengde said:

Exactly.

The way Miyamoto works, there is a period of experimentation. And if the team isn't flowing creatively a lot of changes happen and progress is stopped, restarted, etc.

Basically if development is smooth we can get something every two years for as long as that remains constant, if not it will take longer. Unlike most companies Nintendo doesn't develop games in that technical manner with planning, building, debugging, etc. It's a very unpredictable process with them.

Don't assume anything with Nintendo, because they don't do it internally themselves. They don't know if they'll have created a franchise game at a certain time, if it's not working it will take longer to come to fruition.

ASSUME
ASS=U+ME

laserbeam

Banned
A 2D Super Mario would be so amazingly awesome especially with all the 2D games coming out now. Nintendo needs to make sur eno one tries to steal their 2D platformer crown

TreIII

_Alkaline_ said:
The real question is can a 2D Mario on Wii perform to the same level, or even better, than Galaxy?

If such a game basically did more to "remind people of what they loved about Mario/video gaming in the first place", not unlike what NSMB did on the DS? I could see it that way.

People will always have various opinions about 3D Mario, but I don't think you will find too much in the way of dissent when it comes to 2D Mario (beyond the notion of "which one you think is the best", but I'm not going there. :D)

Besides, I would think it would be right on time. Ninty know NSMB printed and continues to print money, and they have even other examples, like Mega Man 9, that all do more to prove that Ninty, and others who think along their line, were onto something after all.

Even if it was just another stylish remake/re-envisioning of something like Mario 3 or World, it would probably STILL sell like hotcakes, and we all know that.

Another 3D platform Mario game for the Wii would break my predicting model, thus it must be for the DS.

EDIT: So it's confirmed for the Wii? Very unexpected.

Operations said:
Another 3D platform Mario game for the Wii would break my predicting model, thus it must be for the DS.

EDIT: So it's confirmed for the Wii? Very unexpected.

Have people been ignoring the first post?! It was said to be a WII game from the very beginning! I still don't get all the talks of DS and DSi titles. It seems like some people are having their own personal irrelevant discussions within this thread

JaseMath

Zoramon089 said:
Have people been ignoring the first post?! It was said to be a WII game from the very beginning! I still don't get all the talks of DS and DSi titles. It seems like some people are having their own personal irrelevant discussions within this thread
Um...it doesn't say anywhere in post #1 that the Mario game is for Wii.

Zoramon089 said:
I think people are just musing over the fact that a DS title would be less surprising than a Wii title.

billy.sea said:
Sadly, Nintendo would sell more copies of Mario Party 9 than a new Mario platformer. And cost 5 times cheaper to make too.
Really? The Mario Party games have never sold as well as the main platformers. Even Mario Party 8 (the best-selling game in the series) did about 5 million compared to Galaxy's 8 million.

Somnid

Zoramon089 said:

The sentence referring to the Mario game reads:

"In the second half of the year Nintendo will also release a new title in the popular 'Mario' series."

That's all it says. No platform or what type of game.

Zoramon089 said:

Wait, where did I say it was "confirmed" to be a Wii game ? I never said that because that's not what the article states.
However, we can speculate that it could be the case, on the basis that the the excerpt from the article on Nikkei Net mentioning Nintendo's strategy to provoke a surge in Wii sales could include both Wii Fit Plus and the new Mario game. But this remain speculation and interpretation on our part until any credible source shows up to tell us which platform this game is on.

Neiteio

Somnid said:
The sentence referring to the Mario game reads:

"In the second half of the year Nintendo will also release a new title in the popular 'Mario' series."

That's all it says. No platform or what type of game.
Doesn't it go on to say the Mario game would boost Wii sales?

AniHawk said:

DS has Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes, not to mention DQIX in Japan and M&L3 (which is apparently very good) still to be released in the west. No way would Nintendo release a new Zelda, Pokemon, AND Mario game within less than a year of each other. For us here in the US, I'm seeing M&L3 around September, Zelda around Christmas, and Pokemon remakes in the first half of next year. No new DS Mario anytime soon, and no indication that one is even being worked on.

Whatever this Mario game is, it's for Wii. Both based on the context of the article, release schedules, and the fact that Wii need software- so far, Nintendo has Wii Sports Resort and Metroid Prime trilogy on the schedule. S&P2 may not even see release stateside, and even if it does, they know it's a niche release. Nintendo needs something bigger.

madara

SpokkX said:
I bet a new 2d Mario for Wii

Don't man, please just don't. This is Nintendo we are talking about. Please don't get my hopes up like that, do you know just how long its been since a 2D mario console game? Especially one that was AAA? I need to go in the press conference expecting Mario Recess mini games not an actual epic game now!

Top Bottom