• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

Neomoto

I think Miyamoto said both Mario teams were hard at work. Meaning the team who did NSMB and EAD Tokyo who did Galaxy. He said that a while ago, and both groups didn't exactly put out a whole lot since they finished those games. So even though it isn't sure if it'll be this year, I think it's quite likely new main Mario's are coming, 1 for each platform.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Relix said:
For fuck's sake no, the first game is the only Mario game I haven't beat. Its just plain BAD. NSMB2 or Galaxy 2 =O
Yep its probably going to be that. It will be the same as last year,a casual game and a "core" game.

JSR

I was wondering how long it would take for the Nintendo leaks to start... With that said, I hope the new Mario game is a proper one and not a spin-off like Mario Party.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TheGrayGhost said:
i haven't played it, but spm is so pretty, how can i not like it?

I am gonna avoid the troll comment I was gonna make, the world is better without it, but....
SPM is really bad. Like.. horrendous bad. Not worth the $50 I paid for it. Graphics are nice and all, but otherwise? Ugh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
djblackice said:
Rumor:

New Mario game is where Mario is lost in various Nintendo games like a museum of NES games.
Um, if this has some cheeky humor, this game could be awesome!

Ramenman

TheGrayGhost said:
i haven't played it, but spm is so pretty, how can i not like it?

*cue SPM "I like to go on message boards" screen*

djblackice said:
Rumor:

New Mario game is where Mario is lost in various Nintendo games like a museum of NES games.

That's Captain Rainbow you waffle.

LCfiner

I'm hoping for a more inventive NSMB for the DS. I felt the last one was just OK but I know they can do so much more with a Mario platformer on the DS.

sphinx

the piano man
oh boy...

teasing with " New Mario gaming coming " is VERY mean from whoever gave the hint.

I will take this as " Nintendo will announce some exciting games this E3 " and that's it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Door2Dawn said:
By the way,how credible is Nikkei?
The Nikkei is Japan's major stock exchange, and this is from the paper they put out. I don't think I've ever seen them give out inaccurate game information.

But as others have said, a new Mario can be just about anything...

bluehat9

New 2D Mario game set in the Super Mario World universe with a level editor/creator and the ability to share levels online.

Hey, I can dream, right?

yes, it could be anything but....

do you really think that some one would give a hint about mario party saying "they will announce a new mario game" ???

i take it as a "real" mario game... either for the ds+dsi or wiimotion+

laserbeam

Banned
I have information from a credible source We shall call Mr. A. SS that the new Mario game is infact a reinvisioning of Super Mario Brothers 3 that is all.

Chumly

Wait so they dont specify if its on the Wii,DS,Mainline, Party, Sport, RPG game? Fuck that Obviously there going to be a MARIO game at E3

laserbeam said:
I have information from a credible source We shall call Mr. A. SS that the new Mario game is infact a reinvisioning of Super Mario Brothers 3 that is all.

On the Wii?
Cause that would be awesome.

Starchasing said:
yes, it could be anything but....

do you really think that some one would give a hint about mario party saying "they will announce a new mario game" ???

i take it as a "real" mario game... either for the ds+dsi or wiimotion+

Just cause they're a big name publication doesn't mean they know about video games. They see Mario there, then it's a new Mario game. They probably could care less or know the difference between Mario Party and Mario Golf.

R U MR. GAY?

laserbeam

Banned
In all seriousness I have a feeling its gonna be a DS/DSi game. Its been a long time with NSMB. I wont mind but the Wii needs the love more than the DS

laserbeam said:
This or the NES museum thing? JEEZ. I WANT BOTH.

Ramenman said:
Fuck it, even that is leaked :(
:(

Many leaks on this year's E3. I hope that in next year they will save announcements to the conferences.

And a new Mario only 2 years after the last one? I think that's pretty short for a development of a principal-series' Mario. I think that the mention is about of a spin-off.

Cow Mengde said:
Just cause they're a big name publication doesn't mean they know about video games. They see Mario there, then it's a new Mario game. They probably could care less or know the difference between Mario Party and Mario Golf.

R U MR. GAY?

i was thinking more in the lines of someone telling Nikki about this , not them reading

pakkit

Banned
This isn't a leak. Saying a new game with Mario in it is coming is no big surprise. We already knew about Wii Fit Plus.

Aaron Strife said:
What's amazing to imagine is the possibility of a new Mario that's actually better than SMG was.

Also, the wording of the article suggests that it's for Wii to me.
Yep, the article seems to allude to the fact that not only Wii Fit+, but also that "New Mario" game would be "aimed at supporting the Japanese Wii sales", so that's what I'd tend to believe as well.

pakkit

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Probably Mario Golf or something similarly uninspiring.
Mario Golf DS developed by Camelot featuring minor RPG elements like the GBC games would be a GOTY, no matter what year it was released in.

Pending a full translation, I'd be tempted to say this is a mix of trademark/retail list hunting (Wii Fit Plus) and speculation. I know Nikkei managed to get in on the DSi announcement a week or so early, but unless there's something more substantial in the article I don't see why this should be taken without a healthy pinch of salt.

Chumly

Stormbringer said:
Yep, the article seems to allude to the fact that not only Wii Fit+, but also that "New Mario" game would be "aimed at supporting the Japanese Wii sales", so that's what I'd tend to believe as well.
OK Start the HYPE TRAIN

thefro

Definitely could be anything, but they could easily crank out SMG 2 in 2 years. Tons of things they can explore still in that formula.

It's been 3 years since NSMB was released, so considering that game's outsold SMB3, I think making a sequel might be a good idea.

I don't think their next big move with Mario is to radically reinvent the wheel here... that'll be for the Wii's successor.

Fuu said:
Yeah, new Mario is the same thing as saying "new game by Nintendo".
This.

Nothing big here . . .

We knew WiiFit Plus was coming.

wiifitplus1.jpg

And "new Mario" most likely means "Mario spin off" for now. Could be anything . . .now, had it said "New Zelda" THAN we woul have a story!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Cosmonaut X said:
Pending a full translation, I'd be tempted to say this is a mix of trademark/retail list hunting (Wii Fit Plus) and speculation. I know Nikkei managed to get in on the DSi announcement a week or so early, but unless there's something more substantial in the article I don't see why this should be taken without a healthy pinch of salt.
IIRC this isn't the first thing that they've been early (and right) about, but I can't remember specifics.

I do remember threads listing this specific paper time and time again however.

Stormbringer said:

Probably a new main line Mario then, or a Mario Kart/Animal Crossing hybrid.

Top Bottom