• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei : New Wii Fit this Fall and new Mario game this year.

neo2046

wait ........ I forget the possiblility of Mario Party .........
and please don't be new Mario Party ........

madara said:
Don't man, please just don't. This is Nintendo we are talking about. Please don't get my hopes up like that, do you know just how long its been since a 2D mario console game? Especially one that was AAA? I need to go in the press conference expecting Mario Recess mini games not an actual epic game now!

well i said it before but no one seem to care :(

wii new audience + mario + what they leraned from wii music =

= Mario Paint (esculpture) Wii

Azure J

AniHawk said:
It would be pretty hilarious if it was Mario Party.

There are so many people calling something like this or NPC! Mario Sunshine, that if it turns out to be either of those I'd blame them for it and laugh. :lol

Seriously though, do want new Mario platformer. *twitches*

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
A certain Nintendo site is listing a translation of the Nikkei report...

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, a improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises destined to aged people, and aiming to lower their body charge will also be added.

The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

If this is accurate, then the new Mario game is a Wii title and falls in line with what was said about Gamestop "making room" for a big Nintendo title later this year....

AniHawk

AzureJericho said:
There are so many people calling something like this or NPC! Mario Sunshine, that if it turns out to be either of those I'd blame them for it and laugh. :lol

Seriously though, do want new Mario platformer. *twitches*

NPC SMS would be damn near impossible, given its reliance on the camera. A lot more work would be put into that than NPC DKJB.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd take Mario Party 9 over Super Paper Mario 2. The first one was easily the most disappointing Nintendo game I've bought in ages.

MisterHero

SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARS TRIOLOGY

64 Graphical Update + Sunshine + Galaxy + Galaxy 2 Lost Levels = Game of the Infinite Forevers

AniHawk said:
It would be pretty hilarious if it was Mario Party.
It might be a weird suggestion but I'd really like Mario Party 2 on Virtual Console

laserbeam

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, a improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises destined to aged people, and aiming to lower their body charge will also be added.

The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

If this is accurate, then the new Mario game is a Wii title and falls in line with what was said about Gamestop "making room" for a big Nintendo title later this year....

That is the translation from here so yeah I mean its no stretch to say Mario Wii this fall

Azure J

AniHawk said:
NPC SMS would be damn near impossible, given its reliance on the camera. A lot more work would be put into that than NPC DKJB.

True, hence why I wonder why people would even bring something like that or a spin off title up when Nintendo says Mario Wii game. I guess we're all playing a bit defensive now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

GAF > Internet > GAF

AniHawk

Dan said:
I'd take Mario Party 9 over Super Paper Mario 2. The first one was easily the most disappointing Nintendo game I've bought in ages.

Uh... I'd still take a little level design versus yet another rehash of a mediocre game from 1999.

OnPoint said:
There can be no comeback to this.

Mario Party was legendary back in the day. Lost many friends after stealing their stars. Good times. I would have no problem with a new Mario Party so long as Hudson, you know, actually tries.

Davey Cakes

Super Paper Mario is merely an underappreciated game. It has a huge focus on writing, humor, and exploring rather than platforming and RPG elements, even though those last two things are typically what people associate the game with.

Once I realized that the game was more an experience of Intelligent Systems' awesome writing than just a Paper Mario platformer/RPG hybrid, I was able to enjoy it a hell of a lot more. The game seriously has tons of wit and humor strewn about, but it takes an open-mind to appreciate that.

As for Mario Party, I don't want another one. At least, not yet. The first two Mario Party games were brilliant, so I'd mostly just want those two to release on the VC. And, if not that, maybe a remake with both games crammed into one? That would be godly.

TreIII

TheGrayGhost said:
Mario Party was legendary back in the day. Lost many friends after stealing their stars. Good times. I would have no problem with a new Mario Party so long as Hudson, you know, actually tries.

Hey, I have no problem with them keeping on trucking on with what's an easy cash cow.

But I need my console Mario, in some shape or form, that promotes action, platforming and/or whatever "twist" can be involved this time. Mario Party is meant to be auxilary, not a possibly "hype point" that Nikkei is hinting at.

Nightbringer said:
Super Mario Wii

-Joint venture between EAD Kimura and EAD Tokyo.

-Uses Galaxy Engine

-Super Mario Bros classic playability and design, it is a 2D platformer.

-Is part of the trilogy of Nintendo traditional games that had an hube success in DS and has been ported to DS, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing were the first two, Super Mario Wii is the last one.

If that means a remake of Super Mario Bros. 3.....

TreIII

Gamer @ Heart said:
There is so much money to be made in New Super mario Bros 2 but i know this game cannot be it. Its obviously a Wii game.

Honestly though, remember that the Wii is the console that needs a new stand-out title like a crackhead needs another hit.

I can imagine New SMB2 happening some day. Just...not when the DS/DSi is still "PRINTING MONEY!" as well as it's doing. Hell, even the original New SMB is still selling to this day! :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Rash said:
Super Paper Mario is merely an underappreciated game. It has a huge focus on writing, humor, and exploring rather than platforming and RPG elements, even though those last two things are typically what people associate the game with.

Once I realized that the game was more an experience of Intelligent Systems' awesome writing than just a Paper Mario platformer/RPG hybrid, I was able to enjoy it a hell of a lot more. The game seriously has tons of wit and humor strewn about, but it takes an open-mind to appreciate that.
SPM is awful.

Feep

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks NSMB is horribly overrated? The level design was so horribly, horribly average.

Galaxy 2, please. Why is it too soon? Use the same engine, and just make more fuck-awesome galaxies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nightbringer said:
Super Mario Wii

-Joint venture between EAD Kimura and EAD Tokyo.

-Uses Galaxy Engine

-Super Mario Bros classic playability and design, it is a 2D platformer.

-Is part of the trilogy of Nintendo traditional games that had an hube success in DS and has been ported to DS, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing were the first two, Super Mario Wii is the last one.
I hope those first 2 points are true if it is a new Mario platformer for Wii, that way EAD Tokyo can be working on something else too. :D

laserbeam

Banned
So if we are seeing a new Mario for the Wii it seems safe to say no Zelda footage or anything unless they are really going for a double whammy of unveils

AniHawk

Feep said:
Am I the only one who thinks NSMB is horribly overrated? The level design was so horribly, horribly average.

Galaxy 2, please. Why is it too soon? Use the same engine, and just make more fuck-awesome galaxies.

NSMB had a sort of mixed reception here back when it first came out. I didn't like it a whole lot until I started going after the hidden coins. That's when I started to appreciate the level design.

Lyude77

I really liked the humor in SPM as well. I liked most of the levels, and the writing was great. Heck, I liked it better than PM 2 (probably a bad decision for me to say that). I liked the levels/writing in the original PM better, and SPM was fresh as far as gameplay mechanics go. I probably just like it more because I don't have much to compare it to.

On topic: I'm hoping that it's a 2D Mario, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Nearly all Mario games are good, so I'll probably be happy with whatever it is.

d+pad

If the game ends up being Super Mario Galaxy 2 and not a 2D Super Mario (retail for Wii), the folks in charge at NOJ are seriously stupid.

And this is coming from someone who loves/loved Super Mario Galaxy and is/was bored by New SMB.

It seems clear that the 2D Marios have broader appeal - esp. in Japan - so if they want to boost sales of the Wii in their home country, they should go down that road and not down the 3D road (again)...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mutagenic said:
SPM is awful.

I wouldn't go that far, but it is a game that had a lot of wasted potential and some significant flaws. The game peaked way too early (world 3 was insanely awesome), and there were worlds where I was shocked and appalled at the design (world 6, are you kidding me?)

BorkBork said:
I wouldn't go that far, but it is a game that had a lot of wasted potential and some significant flaws. The game peaked way too early (world 3 was insanely awesome), and there were worlds where I was shocked and appalled at the design (world 6, are you kidding me?)

Pretty much this.

ToyMachine228 said:
Give me Luigi's Mansion 2 god damn it.

This man is one after my own heart. It's perfectly suited for the Wii.
It needs to happen. Best graphics on the GameCube in that game. Yes sir.

Okay, maybe not, but they were still damn impressive.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
BorkBork said:
To be fair, I was incredibly hyped for the game going in. I think I let my expectations get the best of me. Intelligent Systems is still one of my favorites.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
probably going to be NSMB2. :(

On the other hand, if its Galaxy 2 I'll scream like a school girl.

This isn't really a major point or anything, but I don't see the following line anywhere in the story:

"Special exercises destined to aged people, and aiming to lower their body charge will also be added."

(I'm looking at a physical copy of the print version).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Give me Luigi's Mansion 2 god damn it.
yes! this right here would be my own special little megaton

I'm hoping that the Mario game is Paper Mario 3. It will have been five years since The Thousand Year Door came out by the end of this year, so a sequel is overdue by this point.

Galaxy 2 would be awesome, as well.

Rez said:
probably going to be NSMB2. :(

On the other hand, if its Galaxy 2 I'll scream like a school girl.

If it is Galaxy 2, I will do something fantastical.

Honestly, I don't have a positive reaction planned out. My negative reaction to Juno winning best picture would be to take a shit on my TV; expect that, except the positive version. Just gotta figure out that that would be.

Linkzg said:
If it is Galaxy 2, I will do something fantastical.

Honestly, I don't have a positive reaction planned out. My negative reaction to Juno winning best picture would be to take a shit on my TV; expect that, except the positive version. Just gotta figure out that that would be.
Cumming on your TV?

EDIT: No, I got it. Eat off your TV. It's the opposite of shitting on it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mutagenic said:
To be fair, I was incredibly hyped for the game going in. I think I let my expectations get the best of me. Intelligent Systems is still one of my favorites.

Pretty much everyone on this forum was hyped to the moon on this one. It doesn't excuse it from that under-delivering in a lot of areas.

Top Bottom