• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Jinaar

This might be my age showing but from the posts here I am interested in picking this up(again).

I stopped playing NG2 on the 360 fighting the
werewolves on the bridge leading to the huge cathedral. The camera was just so awful there and pardon my lack of caring, but I couldn't figure out a tactic other then repeating the air attack over and over again, flinging myself this way and that around the bridge in the air hoping for a decapitation.

I'm not looking for an easier game but damn am I looking for a game that is enjoyable and not one that punishes any sort of enjoyment I could be having. It sounds like the changes fix that.

vermadas

Looks like this game might be worth a pick up... eventually. It doesn't sound like they upgraded enough to make it worth giving priority over the other big releases this Fall/Winter. Probably wait until Summer of next year unless I can get it for mega cheap before then.

Dizzy-4U

Just bought the LE through ebay. I'll have to wait 25 days to arrive though =/

Loved the original on xbox. Can't wait to play it again.

2real4tv

Jinaar said:
This might be my age showing but from the posts here I am interested in picking this up(again).

I stopped playing NG2 on the 360 fighting the
werewolves on the bridge leading to the huge cathedral. The camera was just so awful there and pardon my lack of caring, but I couldn't figure out a tactic other then repeating the air attack over and over again, flinging myself this way and that around the bridge in the air hoping for a decapitation.

I'm not looking for an easier game but damn am I looking for a game that is enjoyable and not one that punishes any sort of enjoyment I could be having. It sounds like the changes fix that.

I stopped with the big skelton boss fight...well somewhere after. The gametrailers review makes me want to get it.

DR2K

Banned
S1kkZ said:
not in this part. but there a lot of framerate issues in this game (more then in ng2 360).

I have yet to encounter any major frame rate issue through the first 5 chapters.

rainking187 said:
Does anyone know if the 360 ad actually made it into the game?

I didn't see it. The movie playing in the bride area of chapter 1 was gone too. I also didn't notice the dancing skeleton movie in chapter 3, but I wasn't really looking for it. Didn't Itagaki do the mocap for that?

Framerate issues are still present in Warrior, but for oh I dunno, 90% of the game it's perfectly smooth. There are several areas that have really bad slowdown though. Going to wait until I finish PotMN before I comment on that though...

edit: God PSN is fucking trash.

rvy

Banned
S1kkZ said:
not in this part. but there a lot of framerate issues in this game (more then in ng2 360).
Every time I think about getting the game, one of you guys comes along and ruins it for me. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YES! Got the game, got the game got the fucking GAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrbob

Honestly, this is why I don't do much preorder business with Gamestop/EB anymore. They hardly have the bonus items available.

Lyonaz

Bought the game earlier today for 53 euros, nice!:D Am in chapter 5 now with Momiji, she's awesome.
Don't find the game that difficult actually, had more trouble with the first one. The bow actually helps and does nice damage against some bosses.

Also did 1 Co-op mission online Acolyte06, man I sucked, had only 35% karma, the other guy had more. Anyone know if you can play with Momiji online?

Canova

Banned
Def Jukie said:
Does anyone have an extra code for the gamestop costume they are willing to part with? The gamestop I went to didn't have any.

I love the gamestop costume, it's so beautiful in-game :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mrbob said:
Honestly, this is why I don't do much preorder business with Gamestop/EB anymore. They hardly have the bonus items available.

The gamestop I went to try to convince me that only the special edition can have the code, so I had to set them straight on that by showing them the website on my iphone. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lyonaz said:
Bought the game earlier today for 53 euros, nice!:D Am in chapter 5 now with Momiji, she's awesome.
Don't find the game that difficult actually, had more trouble with the first one. The bow actually helps and does nice damage against some bosses.

Also did 1 Co-op mission online Acolyte06, man I sucked, had only 35% karma, the other guy had more. Anyone know if you can play with Momiji online?

Is that the one in Venice? I played with a guy in that last night and got around 65% Karma :lol Coincidence?

neojubei said:
The gamestop I went to try to convince me that only the special edition can have the code, so I had to set them straight on that by showing them the website on my iphone. :D

They did for me too. I opened it right in front of them to show it didn't have it. They opened the other shipment box and couldn't find anything. I ended up going to another store and explaining the situation. Got the last code.

Is this a preorder exclusive or something on the PSN store?

Returners

Def Jukie said:
Does anyone have an extra code for the gamestop costume they are willing to part with? The gamestop I went to didn't have any.

Call 'em. They told me to call them with the receipt so they can verify and they'll hook you up with code.

Just beat Sigma 1, bring on Sigma 2. Never seen so many bosses in one game. My biggest complaint was repeating loads of stuff over if you die including back tracking to the previous chapter sometimes. I hope the save points are better in Sigma 2.

Just finished PotW. Took around 10 hours according to the options menu, though I did leave the game unattended a few times.

The teaser at the end is
Ryu telling Kasumi that "he still has much left to do."

I guess?

edit: Oh yeah, got a silver trophy for finishing PotW, but I didn't get one for finishing Acolyte. Ugh.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
So chapter select is in Sigma 2...that is good.

You know what is funny? I remember when Ninja Gaiden 2 360 was first shown off....there was a chapter select screen for it. I wonder where it disappeared in the final version?
You better Obi-wan that Best Buy tractor beam...STAT. Methinks I will see you playing this tonight on PSN. :lol

kuYuri

iconoclast said:
Just finished PotW. Took around 10 hours according to the options menu, though I did leave the game unattended a few times.

The teaser at the end is

I guess?

edit: Oh yeah, got a silver trophy for finishing PotW, but I didn't get one for finishing Acolyte. Ugh.

:/

rvy

Banned
iconoclast said:

The teaser at the end is

I guess?

Why should you? :lol

Framerate and A.I, spill the beans, Mister!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lyonaz said:
Is your online ID Jasonmaniak? Yeah Acolyte06 is Venice.

Aww, unfortunately no.

That would've been cool though.

Shikashi said:

Framerate and A.I, spill the beans, Mister!

Assuming there's a trophy for beating the game on Acolyte, it'd suck if the trophies didn't stack with difficulties. If there isn't a trophy for beating the game on Acolyte... then bravo, Tecmo. :lol

Like I said before, the framerate is perfectly smooth 90% of the time. There are a few areas that have really bad slowdown, however. I want to finish Master Ninja before I make a final verdict on how good/bad the framerate is though. There's a ton of little changes throughout the game, most of which are for the better IMO. I guess I'll make a post that has every change I can remember between each chapter in a little bit.

And yeah, Chapter Challenge is the story mode with max level weapons and karma scoring. Looks like you keep your original lifebar as well. Just played through Chapter 1 on Warrior and got ranked second. I just uploaded most of the replay if anyone wants to see exactly how much the scoring system in NG2 sucks.

I missed 5 skulls in my playthrough, so I'm not sure if the giant skull makes its return. I hope it does!

Shikashi said:

It's pretty common for achievements to "stack" meaning you beat a higher difficulty and get the achievement for lower ones as well. Like in NG2, you beat warrior you get the acolyte achievement, and you get the costume color for finishing acolyte as well. Speaking of which, the costume you get for beating warrior is
Fiend Ryu.

Defunkled

Do you guys know how the "Kill 1000 Enemies with (insert weapon here)" trophies work? Like, does the count apply to Chapter Challenge and the Co-Op Missions?

iconoclast said:
I missed 5 skulls in my playthrough, so I'm not sure if the giant skull makes its return. I hope it does!
The Giant Skull does nothing, right? I remember a while back a few people claimed it affected something, but I'm not sure if I ever found out definatively one way or the other.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I couldn't handle the framerate problems but I knew how to solve it right away.

Switched from my 42" HDTV to my SDTV :D :D Perfect 60fps, no tearing, flawless gameplay! Looks like ass but who cares!

WilyRook

iconoclast said:
I want to finish Master Ninja before I make a final verdict on how good/bad the framerate is though.

From the gametrailers review it sounded like both M and MN difficulties are unlocked after a single playthrough. Wishful thinking?

Nope, I only unlocked Mentor, new costumes for everyone and Chapter Challenge, IIRC.

a Master Ninja said:
The Giant Skull does nothing, right? I remember a while back a few people claimed it affected something, but I'm not sure if I ever found out definatively one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure it doubles the amount of karma you get per enemy kill when you have it in your inventory.

rvy

Banned
Seiken said:
Well, I couldn't handle the framerate problems but I knew how to solve it right away.

Switched from my 42" HDTV to my SDTV :D :D Perfect 60fps, no tearing, flawless gameplay! Looks like ass but who cares!
This works? For real? :lol

Haunted

Seiken said:

I want to write a sarcastic response but I can't muster the strength.

Have fun, man.

Pimpbaa

Finally got farther than what I did in the original before I quit (I didn't even make it to Volf in the original). Weaksauce I know, but I'm having a lot more fun in Σ2. Also, Rachel kicks so much more ass than what she did in Σ1.

Just beat the game on Warrior. I was really pleased, but I expected more stuff from the previous Ninja Gaiden game and thought they re-used the boss battles a little too much.

I tried the ultimate ninja mission where you have to fight all 4 greater fiends at the same time.... is that humanly possible? Holy shit i got killed in 2.5 seconds. There were definitely slowdowns during that mission and every time you die you have to reload the mission screen, then reload the mission, bleargh!

Yoshichan

Haunted said:
I want to write a sarcastic response but I can't muster the strength.

Have fun, man.
What? :lol It works man, dead serious

MCD

NinjaCodah said:
Just beat the game on Warrior. I was really pleased, but I expected more stuff from the previous Ninja Gaiden game and thought they re-used the boss battles a little too much.

I tried the ultimate ninja mission where you have to fight all 4 greater fiends at the same time.... is that humanly possible? Holy shit i got killed in 2.5 seconds. There were definitely slowdowns during that mission and every time you die you have to reload the mission screen, then reload the mission, bleargh!
It was possible in the 360 version by abusing Scythe jump + XYY, you can do it on mentor at least.

but Icono says they nerfed Scythe in Sigma 2 so this won't work i guess :(

lupinko

Seiken said:

Couldn't you just have switched the PS3's video setting to 480i/p? Or just use composite to force 480i?

Top Bottom