• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Pachinko said:
People are already finishing this ? christ , it's been out for a day!

I mean, shouldn't a 15 hour game take 3 or 4 days to finish off ? or am I alone in requiring time to socialize/eat/sleep and work ?

Only took me around 10 hours for my Warrior playthrough. Up to chapter 6 so far of my Mentor run, but I called it quits early tonight. I guess if you really wanted to you can just run past all the encounters and beat the game in a couple hours like in the 360 version. I should give that shot for my Acolyte playthrough...

Tom Penny

Gamespot review

Ninja Gaiden II was great, but it wasn't on the level of Ninja Gaiden--and in the same way, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 doesn't quite reach the heights of Ninja Gaiden Sigma. But thanks to its heady new co-op missions, it comes awfully close. Forget any worries you had about diminished blood and embrace the fury that the game's comely trio brings to the table. Taking control of one of them while slashing up fiends with a friend is a total riot, as is guiding them through their single-player levels. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 may not have addressed every shortcoming of its Xbox 360 predecessor, but it does a great job of making up for them with raw, unparalleled swordplay.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/ninjagaidensigma2/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

The Good

* The action is still slick, fun, and responsive
* A number of enhancements improve playability
* Three great additional characters
* Excellent new team mission mode
* Great new bosses and other additions.

The Bad

* The camera can be a pain
* Noticeable screen tearing
* Dumb use of Sixaxis functionality.

TheSoed

Question for those who played Sigma 1: if this Ninja Gaiden is the one that's finally clicking with me (meaning I've played more than half of the first level without quitting out of frustration), is it worth my time to go back and check out Sigma? I've played the demo for that one but it doesn't seem to be as interesting to me as this one. Am I missing something or should I give it another shot?

On the Sigma 2 front, I'm loving this game. I've been overdue to enjoy a Ninja Gaiden game so I'm happy it finally happened. Now to learn the giant combo lists. :D

For all people with surround systems, I reccomend going into the PS3 settings and disabling Dolby Digital 5.1 and trying the game. It enables DTS, and the sound quality is sooo much higher.

this game is definitely alot easier then the 360 version. alot of little battles don't even exist anymore. i do like that they got rid of keys, and some other really dumb fetch quest ass backwards crap.

DR2K

Banned
fernoca said:
Oh..and...
Beat Chapter 2 but got no trophy..is that normal..?? I think the '360 version' had something like that were you got achievements for some chapters, but not each one.

In the 360 version you got certain achievements for beating fiends. For PSN they just rename those achievements to the chapter you beat the fiends.

DarknessTear said:
For all people with surround systems, I reccomend going into the PS3 settings and disabling Dolby Digital 5.1 and trying the game. It enables DTS, and the sound quality is sooo much higher.
I wish there was an option to enable DTS via the options menu. Uncharted does this.

Mrbob

Is that stupid snake bone boss fight from chapter 9 of ng2 still in sigma 2? Trying to do it right now and its annoying me big time.

U K Narayan said:
I wish there was an option to enable DTS via the options menu. Uncharted does this.

There are a lot of games that secretly have DTS. Brutal Legend, Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, etc. It can only be accessed with this method, which is stupid. Sony needs to do something about it.

GuardianE said:
Actually, there were one or two chapters in NG 2 that didn't yield Achievements at all for beating them. They seemed sort of arbitrary since you got one for all the other chapters.

No. You got an achievement for every chapter in the game.

copybeaver said:
You need to read the scroll (from a ninja's corpse) that "teaches you the izuna drop" technique before you get a trophy for it. That goes for all the other skill trophies too.

Embarrassing question....do you know where that corpse is? I think I missed it, I am going back through Chapter 1 just in case or is it further?

LordK

Rhazer Fusion said:
Embarrassing question....do you know where that corpse is? I think I missed it, I am going back through Chapter 1 just in case or is it further?

Embarrassingly enough, I don't remember. Sorry. :(

edit: I'm about to start mentor. If I find it before someone else chimes in, I'll let you know.

copybeaver said:
Embarrassingly enough, I don't remember. Sorry. :(

edit: I'm about to start mentor. If I find it before someone else chimes in, I'll let you know.

Thanks. I am almost at the end of the game and I will be going through Mentor anyway, so I will just take it slower this time just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Gekko87

iconoclast said:
Yeah that's normal. In Sigma 2 you'll only get trophies for chapters 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 and one for beating the game.
OMFG I was pretty close to deleting everything except the system file because I didn't get a trophy for completing Chapter 2! That was close.:lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Freedom = $1.05 said:
From what the peoples are reporting it seems that this might be the easiest NG game. Which is fine with me, seeing as NGS1 gave me fits at the end.

Ah, thanks. Might get it then. Not a fan of ridiculously hard games :p

Canova

Banned
Just beat Warrior Mode. I have to say I'm impressed on how fun I had even in Warrior mode. very well done. The last few chapters exceed the last few chapters of NG2.

awesome! can't wait to get to Master Ninja mode. I'm gonna do speed run on Mentor now.

LordK

Rhazer Fusion said:
Thanks. I am almost at the end of the game and I will be going through Mentor anyway, so I will just take it slower this time just to make sure I don't miss anything.

I just went through chapter 1 and it's not there (unless I missed it this time). So it's gotta be chapter 2.

copybeaver said:
I just went through chapter 1 and it's not there (unless I missed it this time). So it's gotta be chapter 2.

That's what I am thinking. I didn't see it either. Maybe Chapter 2 or 3. Hopefully, I will find it on my Mentor playthrough. I have been basically Izuna dropping throughout the entire game, so at least I got the technique down.

WilyRook

It's been awhile since I played the 360 game, but going through Sigma 2 I have to say I love the
airship
level so much. Between the music, the explosions, the
engine purge
, the frantic announcements
"She's hot!" lol,
(though I think I missed that in this version), and the
Genshin
fight, the whole stage is thrilling. Definitely one of my all time favorite action stages.

Edited for spoilers, I suppose.

Lyonaz

Dizzy-4U said:
Is that the one from the demo? I love that song. I don't remember hearing it in the original.

Yeah it's also in the demo.

Game is pretty easy , atleast I don't have trouble playing like I did with the first one.
Also I don't hoard items anymore, hell I just use them whenever I need them, also spam the special arts. Maybe that's why they have the maximum of each items at 3, so you use them, because items are easy to get at Muramasa shops or chests.

Loving the game. Think I'll be able to finish this today.

This. This will be the game that makes me buy a PS3. NG2 is flat out one of the best action games ever made, as much as they tried to ruin it with awful boss design and technical issues.

Are there any skilled-player-made gameplay videos of the later levels? In what way exactly did they tone down the projectile spam? How hard is Master Ninja now really? I haven't seen any of these definitively answered.

Flek

Banned
"* Dumb use of Sixaxis functionality."

uhu yeha stupid reviewer is stupid … if you have to point out a joke feature as "dumb" …*Facepalm.gif*

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Phoenix Fang said:
No. You got an achievement for every chapter in the game.

You're right. I didn't count the boss achievements as chapter achievements when I was looking back at them. It's been so long since my first playthrough I'd forgotten.

Does anyone know if there’s a reason why you get booted out of the game if your PSN connection fails? Is there a reason to stay signed in? – stat tracking or something?

Canova

Banned
The DW costume actually looks kinda nice in-game

10229_147607917142_561642142_3131804_1845849_n.jpg

Did they get rid of the camera lock-on toggle? This Rachel boss fight is fucking TERRIBLE with the camera always targeting the boss. Doesn't help that I'm stick with a gimp character either.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iconoclast said:
Did they get rid of the camera lock-on toggle? This Rachel boss fight is fucking TERRIBLE with the camera always targeting the boss. Doesn't help that I'm stick with a gimp character either.

Huh, that'd be a mistake. Especially with the boss fights featuring additional enemies. It's not R1 or R2?

GuardianE said:
Huh, that'd be a mistake. Especially with the boss fights featuring additional enemies. It's not R1 or R2?

Tried everything, couldn't find a way to toggle it. R2 shoots the bow, R1 centers the camera on the boss, holding R1 did nothing, L2 aims, etc. Clicking the sticks didn't worth either.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm liking this game, but holy shit did they do a terrible mistake by now allowing you to play Master Ninja at start.

Currently on Chapter 7, I've died zero times and I've never played NG2 before so... yeah. No, what a joke.

Good game still though.

Canova

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
That's pretty slick, is it one of the preorder only bonuses or just a regular unlockable?

that's unlockable. I don't know which mode yet. I only finished Warrior. I'm still wondering how to get NGS Ashtar costume

Lyonaz

Finished the game just now on Path of the Warrior, way easier than I expected. But I absolutely loved it. Will try the harder difficulty later on after I've finished Batman Arkham Asylum.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iconoclast said:
Tried everything, couldn't find a way to toggle it. R2 shoots the bow, R1 centers the camera on the boss, holding R1 did nothing, L2 aims, etc. Clicking the sticks didn't worth either.

Maybe you can only do it in boss fights with multple enemies? I have no idea.

Stantron

Pardon if this issue has been discussed to death (see what I did thar?).
I played about half way through the original NG2 before giving up due to difficulty. Nice to hear this one is a bit more forgiving. But an aspect of the combat that I really enjoyed was how fucking brutal the combat was. It boggles my mind why they wouldn't at least give you an option to turn blood effects back on. After spending some time with the demo, it seems like unnecessary censorship, and for me, takes away a significant experience of playing a bad-ass ninja that I felt while playing the original. It feels like I'm killing drones instead of mortal opponents. I guess it's the fact that this feature was taken away from the original that really rubs me the wrong way. Oh well. Still plan on picking this up though. The other new features seem really nice. Except no new-game-plus. WTH!?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Stantron said:
Pardon if this issue has been discussed to death (see what I did thar?).
I played about half way through the original NG2 before giving up due to difficulty. Nice to hear this one is a bit more forgiving. But an aspect of the combat that I really enjoyed was how fucking brutal the combat was. It boggles my mind why they wouldn't at least give you an option to turn blood effects back on. After spending some time with the demo, it seems like unnecessary censorship, and for me, takes away a significant experience of playing a bad-ass ninja that I felt while playing the original. It feels like I'm killing drones instead of mortal opponents.

Yes, this has been discussed to death. Tirelessly.

I find this one comment interesting, since Ryu doesn't spout blood everywhere upon getting hit. He doesn't even have any limbs fly off upon death. So is he just a drone? Giving the enemies fountains of blood in NG2 didn't make them feel any more like real people. Did it have a more visceral visual effect and shock value? Sure.

NG was considered extremely violent back in the day, but its levels of blood are much less pronounced. To be honest, I felt like more of a badass in NG.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
iconoclast said:
Oh, and the only way to upgrade all of your weapons fully during one playthrough is if you never upgrade the Dragon Sword or Dual Katanas, as far as I can tell. So incredibly retarded.

[/walloftext]

Wait what? How does that work?

Also do stats & all your weapons carry over in newer difficulties?

BeeDog

So, Master Ninja mentioned a page or two ago that the Dark Dragon Blade (or whatever it was) could only be unlocked using NG+ in NG2. How does it work here? Is it simply unavailable or...?

Stantron

GuardianE said:
I find this one comment interesting, since Ryu doesn't spout blood everywhere upon getting hit. He doesn't even have any limbs fly off upon death. So is he just a drone? Giving the enemies fountains of blood in NG2 didn't make them feel any more like real people. Did it have a more visceral visual effect and shock value? Sure.

NG was considered extremely violent back in the day, but its levels of blood are much less pronounced. To be honest, I felt like more of a badass in NG.
Good points. When Ryu dies, I pretend that happens in an alternate universe. The real Ryu slashes through opponents from beginning to end. :D But you're right, it would have been interesting if they allowed the protagonist to get done in similar to how he executes others (it's been done in games like RE and Dead Space). Probably a pride thing from the devs, which is respectable.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Seiken said:
I'm liking this game, but holy shit did they do a terrible mistake by now allowing you to play Master Ninja at start.

if they did that , I will play the game just once then will replay my best levels in Chapter select mode.

by this , they force me to play the whole game again and again , which is a good thing .

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BeeDog said:
So, Master Ninja mentioned a page or two ago that the Dark Dragon Blade (or whatever it was) could only be unlocked using NG+ in NG2. How does it work here? Is it simply unavailable or...?

The Dark Dragon Blade was unlocked in NG with NewGame+. It's not an available weapon in NG2 or NGS2.

BeeDog

GuardianE said:
The Dark Dragon Blade was unlocked in NG with NewGame+. It's not an available weapon in NG2 or NGS2.

Oh, alright. So is there anything NG+-exclusive thing missing in NGS2 that was in NG2?

lupinko

DarknessTear said:

For people with more recent surround systems, the option is to use LPCM over DTS or DD.

Top Bottom