• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Kreed

AlStrong said:
:lol So how big does the life bar get?

If you got every health increasing item in your first run (including the ones in the Trials) then it won't increase at all.

FTWer said:
Wait there are less ninjas on screen now in that part?

Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as it was before. I think you still fight the same number of ninjas but they don't spawn in as huge a number as before.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Draft said:
It's really frustrating because you'll have a good run and then WHOOPS nailed by a fire pillar WHOOPS landed right on top of a ninja WHOOPS he just threw me Would You Like to Continue?

fmv42u.png

I feel your pain!

U K Narayan said:
I'll be getting my game back, today.

I can't wait to try the update. I hope it made the game better than Ninja Gaiden BLACK.
Don't count on it (performancewise)
It's still only 60 fps when there no opponents or corpses on screen. The more serious instances of framedropping has been ironed out though.

X26

Banned
Kreed said:
It's a glitch with the shop. When you play a new game + and encounter chests containing items you've already gotten before like Life of the Gods you get Essence in it's place. But the shop thinks you just missed those items so it gives you those for sale when it's not supposed to.

Ah I see. Still, glad I capitalized when I could, having 9 piercing voids at the ready makes speed runs all the faster

Azar

The slow-motion staircase battle was the absolute most badass highlight of the game for me. I wouldn't want to play it any other way. :(

burgerdog

I really don't want to update the game if they 'fixed' the staircase in ch10. Didn't ms say there was going to be a way for us to delete updates for our games in the future? If that's the case then I'll get the update and delete it in the future if I want to do the epic stairs again.

Ifrit

I'm right now on chapter 7 (my favorite ch.) on mentor, and so far loving it. the 2nd and 3rd ToV weren't really difficult, the ch. 6 ToV (four legged robot chicks and those flying missile turrets) on mentor was pretty hard though, but I managed to beat it. I used pretty much all my items (which doesn't really matter right now, by this point in the game I have a lot of extra essence to spend and all my weapons maxed, unlike the first ToV), and I know some people have trouble with it, so here's what I did:

First, you need your healing items, a talisman of rebirth (don't equip it yet), 3 devil way mushrooms, a spirit of the devils, a lv3 lunar and lv3 inferno (I also used a 9 Lives of the gods I got from previous chapters for healing)

As soon as the ToV starts, charge your lunar UT to lv2 and unleash as soon as your hear a missile launching or if you see an enemy near you, they won't attack you until after you charge it completely (from my experience, at least). Hopefully you'll hit something, additional damage is always good.

Anyways, dash/jump/run trough the outer circle of the arena avoiding missiles and attacks, if you find a flying turret, if you jump towards it, do a XX combo in the air, and when you land press X again, or if you're in the ground do a XXY combo, that will remove one of his "arms", do that on the 2 other flying turrents if you can, that way you have less missiles to worry about (if you can't, don't worry, it's still possible), just don't go after them, only attack them if you see them on your path.

Now the chicks, if you find one on your path, do a xxy combo, that'll remove one of her limbs, folow it with a OT but don't absorb the essence, get to the next chick and do a 360 UT with the lunar, that will a) kill her or, most commonly, b) remove one of her limbs which you should follow with an immediate OT to avoid getting hit (the OT even has priority over her lighting attack, and that's good, remember to block or get away from the explosion when they die), rinse and repeat, if by accident you absorb essence, do a xxy attack on the next one and repeat the process.

Do that as much as you can (by this time I had already used all my herbs, grains a LotGs, I still had some spider chicks alive), get to the center of the arena or a high ground, and cast a lv 3 ninpo, try to aim at the flying turrents if you can (if by this time you had got rid of all the robot 4 legged chicks, you already did the hard part), that will kill them, if you get a red essence absorb it and cast ninpo again (I kinda got lucky with the red essence dropped by the enemy), absorb blue essence if you need it, but if you don't or if you only get yellow essence then charge your UT, wait for the enemy to respawn, and unleash it, hopefully you'll hit something.

Whatever the outcome was, cast inferno again and repeat the process, if you run out of ki use your spirit of the devils to recharge it, and if you run out of ki again, equip your talisman of rebirth and try to attack those flying droids with the XXY combo with the lunar (2 of those combos will kill them, and again, run around the level and only kill the ones in your path, don't go after them; and remember to get away from the explosion when they die or block it, I guess you could also use your bow if you can, I didn't used it) If you die and use your talisman, you'll get all your ki back, use it (and use essence for UTs), if you run out again, use your mushrooms, it should be enough to kill the reamining enemies (you just can't go wrong with 14+ lv3 infernos :D).

You could probably do this in a different order (inferno spamming first, then concentrate on the 4 legged robots), but that's how I did it. And sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

Draft said:
I'm still stuck on the first ToV in Mentor.

Getting there, though!

It's really frustrating because you'll have a good run and then WHOOPS nailed by a fire pillar WHOOPS landed right on top of a ninja WHOOPS he just threw me Would You Like to Continue?

Hang in there man, you can do it, use your claws on lv.3 and learn how to do that FS to ID move (jump towards the enemy and forward+y, then a fast xy), that do wonders for this fight, and try not to OT an enemy because you risk getting grabbed for massive damage. Remember that you can use all your ninpo because it gets recharged after the ToV (I'd recommed leveling up your inferno ninpo which you'll need for the 4th ToV) and I'd also recommend that you use your incendiary shurikens, since you won't really need them until the next corpse where you can recharge them.

Draft said:

Getting there, though!

That was one of the hardest accomplishments I ever did in a video game. I must have died 40+ times before I got it. Sooo satisfying when I finally did it though.

I used level 2 talons, and a strategy of wind run/izuna drops (A + X, then Y X Y) and dashing away quickly upon landing after the move. Oh yeah, and ninpo whenever I felt in trouble.

Video of said accomplishment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPBoFzP2KIo

Posted it already but this thread is so god damn huge one with any kind of real life cannot keep up with it.:lol

Kreed

burgerdog said:
I really don't want to update the game if they 'fixed' the staircase in ch10. Didn't ms say there was going to be a way for us to delete updates for our games in the future? If that's the case then I'll get the update and delete it in the future if I want to do the epic stairs again.

Go to the Xbox 360 dashboard, go to "System", select "Memory", highlight your Hard Drive then press Y for Device Options, then press the following buttons:

X, X, LB, RB, X, X

The 360 will then ask if you want to perform maintenance. Select yes and the Xbox 360 cache will be cleared which includes game updates. You can then enjoy all the Ninja Gaiden 2 glitches again.

Aske

Draft said:

Getting there, though!

Yep, I've been stuck here for days too. Can't bring myself to skip it...

I had one sweet run during which the enemies kept dropping red essence - but I was fire pillared. Bah.

Still the best game I've ever played.

_dementia said:
Don't count on it (performancewise)
It's still only 60 fps when there no opponents or corpses on screen. The more serious instances of framedropping has been ironed out though.
Yeah. :(

Those new costumes are kind of neat. But -- yeah, not too much of an improvement.

NGB is still king.

Draft

Welp. Still butting heads with TOV1 on Mentor.

It's funny. I'm not angry that I keep losing. I just can't stay mad at the game. The combat system is so Goddamn satisfying. But it is frustrating. And I feel that TOV1 on Mentor does in fact illustrate what is another flaw in the game.

I stand by my assessment that projectile spam on Warrior is totally manageable. I liked it quite a bit. I really felt it urged you to keep moving. The bottom line is that Ryu is so deadly up close that any fight without some sort of projectile to keep you on your toes is a cake walk. Nothing can stand face to face with you.

But it seems like on Mentor... I don't know. I think maybe my man lost the thread on difficulty balancing. It feels like he just got lazy in terms of balance, and instead of creating these really nicely balanced encounters, he just started throwing in TONS of incendiary shuriken spam.

Like, Mentor difficulty was great, up to this point. I died A LOT, but I also got progressively better. The first encounter in Ch3, I probably had to do 12 times. I just kept getting butt fucked by the stronger purple demons. But I kept trying, I kept getting better, and now I can slaughter packs of them no problem. That's great. That's satisfying.

This test though, it's just so RANDOM. Every single enemy has a projectile. And there's like a dozen of them on screen at once. And while 3-4 are trying to rush you (which is good and fun) the rest are hanging back and tossing their Goddamn exploding shuriken. And then of course you have the casters, with their fire pillars. Again, the fire pillar is a great move for the enemy to has. It's telegraphed extensively, and in return does massive damage. But when there's 3 dudes casting it simultaneously, right on TOP OF YOU when you recover from an Izuna drop, it's just BAM, you're done, no chance.

I'm sure this comes off as venting, and honestly, it is. But this just doesn't feel good like the rest of the game on Mentor did. I've gotten a lot better at it. I can consistently put down at least 20 ninjas each try. But then I land on a fire pillar, or I get hit with 3 shuriken simultaneously, and WHOOPS, time to continue. It feels like even though I'm getting better, the spammy nature of the encounter still leaves a ton up to luck, and I'm just not digging it.

The boss fights so far are kind of the same way, especially the two shadow ninja encounters. When there's that many IS ninja on screen, you basically can't do anything but spam Izuna Drops and insta charge OTs. Anything else is guaranteed to get shurikened. Genshin was the highlight because there weren't enough IS ninja to completely lock you down.

Not to mention, from what I've read, Master Ninja basically pushes IS ninja into every other encounter. Which is just craziness. You can't even do 3/4 of your moves when there's more than 4 of them in the room. You're guaranteed to get pegged by IS during a combo unless it's almost entirely composed of iframes. That ain't cool.

Bleh. This game just feels unfinished. It's really disappointing, because SO MUCH is right. The combat system is vastly improved. Level design is vastly improved. I actually really enjoyed the boss fights, a lot more than some of the original game's bosses. But this Hard and Very Hard balancing by way of IS spam is bullshit, and of course there's the technical glitches. The game is just flawed. It's not deeply flawed, but flawed enough, and that really hurts when so much is right. Because it could have been something really special. And all it is is something really good.

By the way I know about the FS->ID combo with the claws, and I'm sure I could have beaten the TOV already using it, but I'm stupidly trying to combine a DS run with a Mentor run, and have not grown QUITE frustrated enough to quit that yet.

Nutter

So like, I have 9 LOTG and I cant use them. :lol

*This sucks, they should have allowed you to make your life bar insanely long. :lol

MCD

Draft pretty much nailed it, though i have no problem with with shurikens and fire pillars but the goddamn fire waves are deadly and fast and then WHOOPS SUICIDAL GRAB.

the shame of running away from TOV1 on Mentor is still haunting me...

Mamesj

Banned
I'm glad you can see it too Draft.

All the difficulty in NGII comes from projectile spam/group rushdowns. When that isn't happening, it's mostly ridiculously easy, imho. It's like they developed Ryu all the way, made him insanely bad ass, then had a month to create the game around him. It isn't balanced. Itagaki developed part of the game, saw that he wasn't getting his DOA4 money, started preparing his lawsuit, and had one foot out the door since (along with all the other TN members who are suing.) They put out a game that's good enough.

There's nothing left to do but go back to Master Ninja in Black or Sigma...which is great. Tough as shit, but it's a learning experience.

Ifrit

Don't get discouraged by the first ToV Draft, mentor is awesome, I'm right now on ch 11 and the first ToV still has been the hardest part I've encountered so far, later in the game IS ninjas are not as common on mentor as you may think, and most of the latter bosses will fight you one on one in this mode (you'll fight the ch. 3 and 5 boss, the armadillo and all the great fiends without extra enemies), haven't played PotMN yet. However, I don't think you'll enjoy doing a sword only run your first time on mentor, some of the later ToVs will get pretty tough if you're only sticking to the sword (especially the ToV 3 and on, where you'll need the lunar and the scythe, the sword is just not good against robots and werewolves as far as I know)

The_Dude

Do the Lives of the Thousand Gods still completely heal you once you've got a fully extended life bar, or do they just do nothing at all?

Draft is right on the money, the projectiles are just overkill on Mentor and up. Team Ninja, tone that shit down. More melee plz.
The_Dude said:
Do the Lives of the Thousand Gods still completely heal you once you've got a fully extended life bar, or do they just do nothing at all?
You can't use them at all.

Nemesis_

I'm trying to cheat the system by completing the game using only Projectiles and Ninpo (so that I can just keep reloading the game and using each weapon to unlock the achievements faster), and I found the first mission surprisingly easy. Piercing Void took off almost 7/8 of the bosse's health and the arrows finished him off. I'm using the Windmill Shuriken also, charging it up to Ultimate Technique really mows down the enemies.

Hopefully it'll be kinda this easy, including the arch fiend. Not to mention the Ninpo glitch (I have 8 slots) should help me get through some of the harder boss battles.

DOes anyone know if the 1000 Ultimate Technique achievement includes both blue and red UTs or just Red? Hopefully I'll get that achievement while whoring my windmill shuriken too.

Worst case scenario, I get as far as possible and just have to do HALF the game using each weapon. It all counts, I guess =P

Mamesj said:
I'm glad you can see it too Draft.

All the difficulty in NGII comes from projectile spam/group rushdowns. When that isn't happening, it's mostly ridiculously easy, imho. It's like they developed Ryu all the way, made him insanely bad ass, then had a month to create the game around him. It isn't balanced. Itagaki developed part of the game, saw that he wasn't getting his DOA4 money, started preparing his lawsuit, and had one foot out the door since (along with all the other TN members who are suing.) They put out a game that's good enough.

There's nothing left to do but go back to Master Ninja in Black or Sigma...which is great. Tough as shit, but it's a learning experience.
Spot on.

Bodom78

Nemesis556 said:
I'm trying to cheat the system by completing the game using only Projectiles and Ninpo (so that I can just keep reloading the game and using each weapon to unlock the achievements faster), and I found the first mission surprisingly easy. Piercing Void took off almost 7/8 of the bosse's health and the arrows finished him off. I'm using the Windmill Shuriken also, charging it up to Ultimate Technique really mows down the enemies.

Hopefully it'll be kinda this easy, including the arch fiend. Not to mention the Ninpo glitch (I have 8 slots) should help me get through some of the harder boss battles.

DOes anyone know if the 1000 Ultimate Technique achievement includes both blue and red UTs or just Red? Hopefully I'll get that achievement while whoring my windmill shuriken too.

Worst case scenario, I get as far as possible and just have to do HALF the game using each weapon. It all counts, I guess =P

Do you have a link to the Ninpo glitch description?

SpokkX

I am replaying the game now on acolyte.

The game features great gameplay but it is also broken and frustrating unlike the balanced NG1.

The first 7 chapters are great and I would say that they are better than NG1 overall.

Then the crappiness begins. Chapter 8 and 9 are both quite awful and feature some very annoying sections. Overall they feel almost completely broken. The focus on explosive projectiles begin here (on acolyte)

The remaining chapters doesnt fare as bad but they are still not in the same class as the first 7 chapters. The reason is mosly overuse of the massive groups Ninjas with explosive projectiles. They are just not fun even though you can block their projectiles. The massive number of ninjas throwing stuff at you are really annoying and just bad design.

2 of the 3 great hack and slash action games (NG, DMC and GOW) are now released and they have both been massive disappointmens för me (NG2 and DMC4 are both worse than their predecessors)

Heres hoping that God of War 3 at least can better part 2.

Nemesis_

End of Chapter 2. Anyone know how to defeat Genshin using only Projectiles and Ninpo? He dodges EVERYTHING.

Or does using a sword in this battle not matter?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
You can't use any weapon during a projectile and ninpo only run, kinda defeats the purpose of it.

Genshin can only be hurt with IS and only when he's attacking or doing his sword charge move, you only have 30 of them so practice finding his weakspots now.

I say this because when you hit chapter 7 you have to fight Genshin as well as the Armadillo right after and you really can't afford to miss as IS is really all that can damage either.

Nemesis_

Does guarding with your weapon count? I easily owned Genshin after what you told me, but not without guarding first.

Baka Zeitgeist said:
You can't use any weapon during a projectile and ninpo only run, kinda defeats the purpose of it.

Genshin can only be hurt with IS and only when he's attacking or doing his sword charge move, you only have 30 of them so practice finding his weakspots now.

I say this because when you hit chapter 7 you have to fight Genshin as well as the Armadillo right after and you really can't afford to miss as IS is really all that can damage either.

What about a charged Windmill Shuriken?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Nemesis556 said:
Does anyone know if the 1000 Ultimate Technique achievement includes both blue and red UTs or just Red? Hopefully I'll get that achievement while whoring my windmill shuriken too.

Oddly enough, I was able to get that Achievement during my 1st playthrough on Warrior even missing the Tests Of Valor entirely. As such, maybe it reads both versions of the UT though I do recall pulling off a whole mess of the red ones, definitely more than blue.

So yeah, I really don't know. :lol

Draft said:
By the way I know about the FS->ID combo with the claws, and I'm sure I could have beaten the TOV already using it, but I'm stupidly trying to combine a DS run with a Mentor run, and have not grown QUITE frustrated enough to quit that yet.

Awe man, I cannot even imagine pulling off the first ToV without the talons. I'm sure it can be done though. Good luck.

Also, why not do weapon runs on a lesser difficulty??

soldat7

SpokkX said:
Heres hoping that God of War 3 at least can better part 2.

God of War II couldn't even best God of War I so it's only up from there, right? ;)

I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for sequels to amazing action games to actually improve anything or become 'better'. I have yet to see it to be honest (God of War, DMC, Viewtiful Joe, etc).

Mamesj

Banned
soldat7 said:
God of War II couldn't even best God of War I so it's only up from there, right? ;)

I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for sequels to amazing action games to actually improve anything or become 'better'. I have yet to see it to be honest (God of War, DMC, Viewtiful Joe, etc).

not unless they put the same amount of effort in. Team Ninja lived and breathed Ninja Gaiden 1 for like 8 years if you count all the dev time put in to every version. If they could start patching and balancing 2, it might come close.

slade

soldat7 said:

For me, DMC3 surpassed DMC1 in both gameplay and story and GoW2 did the same when put up against GoW1.

Viewtiful Joe 2, I still have to finish. For some reason, I dropped it halfway into the first level.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Nemesis556 said:
Does guarding with your weapon count? I easily owned Genshin after what you told me, but not without guarding first.

Blocking doesn't count against you, just make sure you don't counter attack or hit anyone with anything but ninpo and projectiles and you'll be fine.

Jamesfrom818 said:
What about a charged Windmill Shuriken?

That became my main "weapon" during my run, and it can pretty much kill a lot of the normal enemies but it was pretty useless against bosses, I'm pretty sure Genshin just blocks it, and I don't think I ever thought to try it against the Armadillo, what with being so use to spamming his head with IS...

xray49er

Please help..... May be i am an idiot but i am stuck at the beginning oh chaper 6 in the water area i have no clue where to go i tried swimming underwater and cant find a way out.

Cahill

Banned
Please help..... May be i am an idiot but i am stuck at the beginning oh chaper 6 in the water area i have no clue where to go i tried swimming underwater and cant find a way out.

Jump between the pillars they showed in the cut scene after you killed the boss. It's broken at the top..

soldat7

slade said:
For me, DMC3 surpassed DMC1 in both gameplay and story and GoW2 did the same when put up against GoW1.

Not for me. Not at all. :(

I'm hoping NGII doesn't let me down when I get my 360 back.

Manager

Mission mode is official, 800p:
http://gamersyde.com/news_6761_en.html

Mission Mode

What: 25 missions (basically a new campaign mode)
When: Friday, July 25
How Much: 800 MS Points

Introducing Mission Mode, a brand-new gameplay expansion for the acclaimed action game Ninja Gaiden II. In this all new game mode, challenge your skills in self-contained missions featuring trials and tribulations not found in the standard story mode. Karma Attack missions task you with obtaining the highest score, while Survival missions give you a single weapon to fight off as many enemies as possible. Take your high scores online with Xbox LIVE and compete with players around the world on the mission leaderboards!

900_0001.jpg

900_0002.jpg

900_0003.jpg

900_0004.jpg

900_0005.jpg

900_0006.jpg

900_0007.jpg

900_0008.jpg

800p sounds good I guess.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oooooooooh boy - Genshin and Elizabet at the same time is gonna be quite the workout!

But man it sucks that I leave for a month's vacation just a day after this comes out... but I'll be getting it no doubt...

Top Bottom