• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Zonar said:
I thought He said the game did not need anything else.
And then he left Team Ninja in the following two days. :lol

I was calling stuff out on this game left and right, and almost NOBODY shared my opinion. I'm glad to see a change in perspective.

Manager said:
Mission mode is official, 800p:
http://gamersyde.com/news_6761_en.html

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0001.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0002.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0003.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0004.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0005.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0006.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0007.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8860/900_0008.jpg[IMG]

800p sounds good I guess.[/QUOTE]

Survival mode sounds fun. I think I'll download this when I have nothing else to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cahill said:
Hope one of the challenges include some variant of "The staircase".

All the enemies replaced with every boss in the game rushing you at once!

...I shouldn't give them any ideas.

Draft

The most fucked up thing is that this mission mode was absolutely done before the game shipped. It's even referenced in the Strategy Guide as something which unlocks when you beat the game.
I was calling stuff out on this game left and right, and almost NOBODY shared my opinion. I'm glad to see a change in perspective.
Yes, yes, you've been a guiding light since day one.

AlStrong

Draft said:
The most fucked up thing is that this mission mode was absolutely done before the game shipped. It's even referenced in the Strategy Guide as something which unlocks when you beat the game.

I suddenly feel better for getting the game for $10 less. :| Nao I can haz ful gaem ? Oh well, will probably wait for NG2: Black then. :p

PhatSaqs

Banned
U K Narayan said:
You were basically calling the game no good though. I doubt the lack of opinion sharing has changed much if at all.

KTallguy

Banned
I played 2 and a half hours of NG2 last night, my first play since the demo.
I got Master Ninja on the first two levels (not a real measure of skill, IMO).

I'm a bit underwhelmed. I really like fighting the standard enemies, especially the ninjas and daemons and whatnot. But I was kind of disappointed with a few things:

1. The Camera - Jittering along walls, the environments and the camera do not play nice. Also when it zooms in for the Y button kills, it looks awesome, but it simultaneously obscures my view of the action and makes me reset the camera even more. I think the tighter environments and the camera action of the Y button kills were a poor design choice. This was not as much of an issue for me in the original NG and NGS.

2. Certain enemies/bosses - Unlike when I played the original NG, I feel like the bosses and certain enemies have no real rhyme or reason about them. For example, the boss that you fight after meeting your father, I felt like beating him was a matter of dumb luck, as he'll randomly stop his combo and allow you to hit him, or continue into another combo instantly with no lag. You can't stop and watch him for a lag because he seems to randomly chain attacks, and I felt like it was hard to see any kind of cause/effect with him. I died a few times, but I didn't really change how I played and still won. There are other enemies, like the ninja dogs, that I need to figure out more before I judge, but I do feel like many bosses and enemies feel arbitrary.

3. Graphics/Framerate - Wow, why does the game randomly have slowdown for 30-45 seconds? It barely looks better than Sigma, the only thing that's different is the bodies staying where they are, but other than that it looks sometimes better, sometimes worse than Sigma. The fire effects on level 2 were pretty poor, and kind of made the game look cheesier than it should have. The gore and stuff looks great though, obviously. Animations are also perfect. But slowdown... I was really shocked.

It's definitely a high quality title, but #2 is really killing me.
I wonder if it improves as the game continues...
And maybe I'm just shitty, does the lvl2 boss have any kind of pattern, or is there any way to tell when he's open, or when he's going to continue his combo?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
KTallguy said:
I played 2 and a half hours of NG2 last night, my first play since the demo.
I got Master Ninja on the first two levels (not a real measure of skill, IMO).

I'm a bit underwhelmed. I really like fighting the standard enemies, especially the ninjas and daemons and whatnot. But I was kind of disappointed with a few things:

1. The Camera - Jittering along walls, the environments and the camera do not play nice. Also when it zooms in for the Y button kills, it looks awesome, but it simultaneously obscures my view of the action and makes me reset the camera even more. I think the tighter environments and the camera action of the Y button kills were a poor design choice. This was not as much of an issue for me in the original NG and NGS.

2. Certain enemies/bosses - Unlike when I played the original NG, I feel like the bosses and certain enemies have no real rhyme or reason about them. For example, the boss that you fight after meeting your father, I felt like beating him was a matter of dumb luck, as he'll randomly stop his combo and allow you to hit him, or continue into another combo instantly with no lag. You can't stop and watch him for a lag because he seems to randomly chain attacks, and I felt like it was hard to see any kind of cause/effect with him. I died a few times, but I didn't really change how I played and still won. There are other enemies, like the ninja dogs, that I need to figure out more before I judge, but I do feel like many bosses and enemies feel arbitrary.

3. Graphics/Framerate - Wow, why does the game randomly have slowdown for 30-45 seconds? It barely looks better than Sigma, the only thing that's different is the bodies staying where they are, but other than that it looks sometimes better, sometimes worse than Sigma. The fire effects on level 2 were pretty poor, and kind of made the game look cheesier than it should have. The gore and stuff looks great though, obviously. Animations are also perfect. But slowdown... I was really shocked.

It's definitely a high quality title, but #2 is really killing me.
I wonder if it improves as the game continues...
And maybe I'm just shitty, does the lvl2 boss have any kind of pattern, or is there any way to tell when he's open, or when he's going to continue his combo?

Who is that, Genshin? If so, yes, he has pretty obvious patterns/combos which you can gage in order to get in and attack.

The camera: it bugged me at first. Now I have it raised almost to the highest sensitivity (probably one notch below) and it's perfect. I've found that manually rotating it w/ the right analog during movement is the best thing to do.

Framerate's a tragedy but not horrible and the game looks better than Sigma imo, esp. later levels but who really cares.

Just play it more. And more. :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Draft said:

Dammit, that's pretty much a by-the-books reason on why I hate the idea of DLC in some cases. It almost encourages developers to sell incomplete games so the rest of the game can be purchased later.

And now I'll be supporting it. :(

KTallguy

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Who is that, Genshin? If so, yes, he has pretty obvious patterns/combos which you can gage in order to get in and attack.

Cool, I was just kind of miffed when randomly he'd chain his combos into one another without any kind of warning. I guess I can only attack him after his big spinning dealie?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
KTallguy said:
Cool, I was just kind of miffed when randomly he'd chain his combos into one another without any kind of warning. I guess I can only attack him after his big spinning dealie?

Uh uh. No help for you. This is Ninja Gaiden!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
KTallguy said:
:lol

Well I beat him... randomly :p

Is it really worth it to download that patch?

I would say yes. Game seems smoother since it and also it fixes the Chap.10 glitch so you don't have to worry about auto-saving anymore. Still, if you want to see Itakagi say "FUCK YOU" and throw about 30+ enemies at you all at the same time while ascending sacrificial altar-like steps so that the frame-rate turns into that scene from the Matrix w/ Neo & Trinity in the lobby and you don't give a shit because it's so damn epic and badass and fun, well, then don't.

raYne

KTallguy said:
Is it really worth it to download that patch?
You make it seem like it's long and complicated. The game updates automatically if you boot it up while online and it takes all of 10 seconds.

Mission Mode <3. We'll see if I'm still interested when it comes out..

U K Narayan said:
And then he left Team Ninja in the following two days. :lol

The game has it's problems but the good far outweighs the bad for me.

KTallguy

Banned
raYne said:
You make it seem like it's long and complicated. The game updates automatically if you boot it up while online and it takes all of 10 seconds.

Ya, my 360 isn't hooked up to the internet. No wireless adapter.

wayward archer said:
The game has it's problems but the good far outweighs the bad for me.
Yeah. It's not a bad game. It's just not as good as Ninja Gaiden Black. That's what I think, anyway.

I've been replaying the game and I'm enjoying it a bit.

Mission mode should have been part of the game originally, IMO. Just an excuse to get us to fork over extra $$. I suppose that's the way of MS and the Xbox 360 though.

I might still get it, just because I enjoyed the game so much and would love some new content. I'll wait though to see if it's fun challenging, or cheap, aggravating challenging.

MechaX

Hey, Mission Mode pictures.

Volf with Werewolves? Uh...
Elizabet with Archers and IS Ninjas? Uh...
Two of those big things? Uh...
Elizabet and Genshin at the same time? Okay, that might be cool.
Genshin and Rocket Ninjas? Screw that.

S1kkZ

Meteor_of_War said:
Mission mode should have been part of the game originally, IMO. Just an excuse to get us to fork over extra $$. I suppose that's the way of Tecmo though.

I might still get it, just because I enjoyed the game so much and would love some new content. I'll wait though to see if it's fun challenging, or cheap, aggravating challenging.

fixed.

i think the content is already on the disc.

Hmm...I wouldnt doubt Microsoft played a part in the idea of releasing the Mission Mode separately and for a price a couple months after the game's release.

Reminds me of when Epic wanted to release GoW bonus packs for free but MS wouldnt have it. And the problems with user made mods for UT3 on the X360. All due to Microsoft's greed.

Kreed

Judging from those screens of the Mission mode, the missions look like they could be even harder than the Trials of Valor on Mentor/Master. Though it probably depends on how much damage the bosses do and how many minions (mainly the IS Ninjas and Rocket Ninjas) they have access to. It's too bad there aren't any achievements/prizes for completing the mission/survival modes like additional costumes or something. Even something as simple as winning essence to take with you into the main games would have been great.

Meteor_of_War said:
Hmm...I wouldnt doubt Microsoft played a part in the idea of releasing the Mission Mode separately and for a price a couple months after the game's release.

Reminds me of when Epic wanted to release GoW bonus packs for free but MS wouldnt have it. And the problems with user made mods for UT3 on the X360. All due to Microsoft's greed.
No shit. It's like the reason they're slowly abandoning the PC gaming space is because it's so easy for them to monetize the console space - whereas PCers would never put up with it.

Draft

Here's another thing:

Look at the MM screenshots. Notice anything?

No new enemies, arenas, weapons... nothing. It's just remixed fights.

A far cry from NG1 days.

I really do feel this is the stink of Microsoft publishing. I realize Tecmo is not exactly a stand up company, but you can't fault them for the support and dedication they poured into NG1. This? This is one of the most blatant, insulting cash grabs I've ever seen. CLEARLY this was designed as bonus content in the original game. Not something to be bought for $10.

Microsoft is a bad company. I do not like them. I hope they are not a part of the future of gaming.

Draft said:
Here's another thing:

A far cry from NG1 days.

I really do feel this is the stink of Microsoft publishing. I realize Tecmo is not exactly a stand up company, but you can't fault them for the support and dedication they poured into NG1. This? This is one of the most blatant, insulting cash grabs I've ever seen. CLEARLY this was designed as bonus content in the original game. Not something to be bought for $10.

Microsoft is a bad company. I do not like them. I hope they are not a part of the future of gaming.
:(
I agree.

Mamesj

Banned
Draft said:
Here's another thing:

A far cry from NG1 days.

yes, if you go back in time, it is Microsoft's fault for setting the precedent of selling everything...

but look, every part of this game is fucked up somehow, and I think all the blame can be put on the lawsuit. If the company you worked at held on to your million dollars, then said "here's a huge project, enjoy lol," would you put much effort into it?

Team Ninja phoned it in, like they phoned in DoAX2, because they weren't being treated right. It'd be surprising if they had any other DLC planned.

Draft said:
Here's another thing:

A far cry from NG1 days.

You sure it's microsoft? Tecmo charged pretty much the same amount for less extra Sigma content that really should have been included in that game as well.

Just because there's nothing new doesn't mean it won't be good. If they are well done missions it'll be worth every single penny to me.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
wayward archer said:
You sure it's microsoft? Tecmo charged pretty much the same amount for less extra Sigma content that really should have been included in that game as well.

Just because there's nothing new doesn't mean it won't be good. If they are well done missions it'll be worth every single penny to me.
I agree with you
I get sick of all this MS hate lately

Victrix

*beard*
So... resumed my Mentor game on stage 3, plowed through with no significant problems.

I get half way through the level and die to... bats.

They're mean :(

Mamesj said:
yes, if you go back in time, it is Microsoft's fault for setting the precedent of selling everything...

but look, every part of this game is fucked up somehow, and I think all the blame can be put on the lawsuit. If the company you worked at held on to your million dollars, then said "here's a huge project, enjoy lol," would you put much effort into it?

Team Ninja phoned it in, like they phoned in DoAX2, because they weren't being treated right. It'd be surprising if they had any other DLC planned.
While the projectile spam pisses me off, I don't think this game wreaks of being "phoned in". The real culprit here is "rushed to market to compete with MGS4". NGII just needed another month or two of polish and balance tweaks to reach it's full potential, it has an incredibly solid foundation.

MechaX

wayward archer said:

If the missions are going to consist of "Fight X Boss with Rocket Ninjas/IS Ninjas/White Explosive Arrow Ninjas," like most of the screens suggests (Keep in mind there are only 25 missions compared to the 50 missions in NGB), then I'm not expecting them to be that well done either.

TP

MechaX said:
If the missions are going to consist of "Fight X Boss with Rocket Ninjas/IS Ninjas/White Explosive Arrow Ninjas," like most of the screens suggests (Keep in mind there are only 25 missions compared to the 50 missions in NGB), then I'm not expecting them to be that well done either.

If that's all it's going to be then im not buying it
maybe Christmas will come early and MM will end up being free
a few weeks after

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
a Master Ninja said:
While the projectile spam pisses me off, I don't think this game wreaks of being "phoned in". The real culprit here is "rushed to market to compete with MGS4". NGII just needed another month or two of polish and balance tweaks to reach it's full potential, it has an incredibly solid foundation.

"month or two" ?!! This game needed to rebuilt from the ground up, yes the combat is superb , but everything else is no where near as polished or interesting.

Aske

Aske said:
I will not run. Yesterday I almost had it. It's all about the claws. Today is my day.

I finally beat it a couple of hours ago. Totally worth it. But now I won't be able to live with myself if don't clear the other tests. I suspect this Mentor run will take some time...

FrankT

Draft said:
Here's another thing:

A far cry from NG1 days.

What a joke. Cry some more for Pete's sake. Oh, no, no this couldn't being Tecmo's doing at all. Get real, particularly in light of what Tecmo did with Sigma DLC. Petty rants don't cut it anymore. Do your homework next time.

Nemesis_

Alexei was easy with Ninpo. :lol

I accidently slashed him though and then died on purpose, only to select NO to continuing. Then the game saved stuff - did it save the fact I used a sword?

I did the same thing on my Scythe playthrough using the Twin Swords, I hit Elizabet once and then quickly turned the game off, rather than doing what I did above.

Man I hope not, I've worked hard to get this far =P

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
LOL I did that myself, but you should be safe, if you ever see that you hit someone with a weapon quit the game and reload from the title screen, as long as you don't do a proper save (I.E. chapter complete save or dragon shrine save) it shouldn't count, but if you hit them with a weapon and hit continue it might so play it safe...

I had two save files set up, one for beating a chapter, and the second for the level I was on, I'd just resave over each chapter save if I was positive I never hit anyone with a weapon during a level. This way you always have a back up.

MCD

Aske said:
I finally beat it a couple of hours ago. Totally worth it. But now I won't be able to live with myself if don't clear the other tests. I suspect this Mentor run will take some time...
congrats :D

i hate you

SixStringPsycho said:
Guys I currently have 200 MS points to waste. So which of Ryus downloadable suit should I download? Or better yet, does anyone have a pic of them?

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6739_en.html
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/gravionGR/grandcostumelist.jpg

MCD

the costumes are good but this is still my favorite:

2rh0dqp.jpg

Nutter

Baka Zeitgeist said:
LOL I did that myself, but you should be safe, if you ever see that you hit someone with a weapon quit the game and reload from the title screen, as long as you don't do a proper save (I.E. chapter complete save or dragon shrine save) it shouldn't count, but if you hit them with a weapon and hit continue it might so play it safe...

I had two save files set up, one for beating a chapter, and the second for the level I was on, I'd just resave over each chapter save if I was positive I never hit anyone with a weapon during a level. This way you always have a back up.
I accidently hit Elizebeth with the dual swords, and then let her proceed to kill me, i just continued, started the fight again (and switched this time) and it still gave me the achievement at the end. So no you do not have to restart the entire save.

SpokkX

a Master Ninja said:

I agree. With som added balancing this game would be great.

However as it stands now the projectile spam (even on acolyte) is just plain bad design and ruins much of the later half of the game totally imo.

I couldn´t enjoy chapter 11, even though the basic fighting is amazing there. The exploding projectiles takes all the fun out of every fight :(

Victrix

*beard*
Block them. Don't try to dodge, don't jump, just block them, then reverse wind dodge out of the stagger. You can block most explosions just fine. You might have your guard staggered, and you might take a small amount of damage, but nothing major. Once your timing improves, you can dodge the blast completely while its stuck to you, or do an OT or UT to avoid it.

You can actually do the same thing for the MRLS ninjas, though you will take a bit of damage, it's not that big of a deal, as long as you continuously dodge and block until the barrage is gone. Not nearly as bad as jumping and getting thrashed to air juggling while you're not invulnerable.

SpokkX

yeah I am aware that they are blockable. Still they break up the flow of the action as you have to block as soon as you are hit and it sticks to you.

... and you do get stuck a lot

Amazinly annoyoing mechanic and I really think it breaks the otherwise amazing figting on the later levels.

Top Bottom