• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

MCD

eh, i thought the first test of valor on mentor the weakest and cheapest thing in the game.

throwing incendiary shurikens at close range non stop and firing 3 fire waves and fire pillars? come on dude.

they need to make the ninjas only throw incendiary shurikens when you are far away or when trying to do an UT.

other than that, the game was fair on mentor, all the bosses fight you one on one with the exception of genshin first and second fight.

I would say the first test on mentor is more brutal than cheap. It's typical Itagaki of throwing the hardest thing at you the first time to see if you'll give up or take him on.

I chose to take him on, with Ryu' signature weapon (no cheap flying swallow to izuna drop claws thank you) and I'm loving it. I'm inching my way to eventual victory.

Finally did it, cleared the first Trials of Valor on Mentor with the Dragon Sword!
In the end it wasn't the epic battle I thought it would be. It was a battle for survival. I had to be very tactical with lots of hit and runs, epic battles and flashy moves only gets you killed. And now the rest of the chapter feels very relaxed in comparison:)

I think I've just stumbled across one of the most retarded design choices ever. In the manor, Spider ninja boss v2. There's a save point, save, grab the bow, enter the room, spider ninja surrounded by 38704 minions frantically attacking me, I die

restart, try, die again

perhaps I'd need some power-ups...sure, i can do it. So I try to leave the save room to reach the shop..AND I CAN'T! I'M TRAPPED HERE! NO EXIT!

no way to refine my skills, no way to buy some power ups, I'm basically doomed. Unless I magically become super ninja warrior WHILE fighting the boss, no way to get out unless I restart the game

considering how frustrating NG2 is, this has to be the most fucking retarted decision I've seen in a long time

Agyar

Anasui Kishibe said:
I think I've just stumbled across one of the most retarded design choices ever. In the manor, Spider ninja boss v2. There's a save point, save, grab the bow, enter the room, spider ninja surrounded by 38704 minions frantically attacking me, I die

restart, try, die again

perhaps I'd need some power-ups...sure, i can do it. So I try to leave the save room to reach the shop..AND I CAN'T! I'M TRAPPED HERE! NO EXIT!

no way to refine my skills, no way to buy some power ups, I'm basically doomed. Unless I magically become super ninja warrior WHILE fighting the boss, no way to get out unless I restart the game

considering how frustrating NG2 is, this has to be the most fucking retarted decision I've seen in a long time

This is why autosave is bad.

Feindflug

Anasui Kishibe said:

restart, try, die again

That's the reason why you should not use auto-save - especially in the harder difficulties, manual/multiple saves help you a lot in such Itagaki aka NO EXIT! situations. :(

ShinAmano said:
Just hold block and keep a distance...when he attacks move in for yours and hit him a few times...rinse and repeat. The thing with Genshin is he fights fair, you wont see any cheap moves from him.

He's also fucking awesome...just fyi.

McDragon said:
this game is unplayable at 1080p.

What difficulty are you playing it on? I've played though Acolyte and Warrior already and I'm about half way through on Mentor and I've only had slowdown on stairs in chapter 10.

MCD

Platypus said:
What difficulty are you playing it on? I've played though Acolyte and Warrior already and I'm about half way through on Mentor and I've only had slowdown on stairs in chapter 10.
master ninja.

first mission after ryu flies to that building, framedrops and tearing are unbearable.

at 720p it's perfect though.

McDragon said:
master ninja.

first mission after ryu flies to that building, framedrops and tearing are unbearable.

at 720p it's perfect though.

well that blows. thanks for the heads up though, hopefully I can make it to master ninja.

MCD

sure.

it could be my tv set, maybe i should mess with the settings or something but i am too tired to do that now, 720p is fine.

MCD

i set it back to 1080p on chapter 2, will report if i found it unstable like before, like i said it could be my set.

I never lowered my setting from 1080p, but generally the game ran poorly on master ninja. I wouldn't say its unplayable, but there are many areas where you would assume you activated bullet time or something (chapter 10 is by far the worst offender; slowdown start to finish practically). This was before the patch though, I haven't played it in about a month so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

MCD

chapter 2 on master ninja is brutal and cheap.

fight IS ninjas and ninpo casters, then blue ninja dogs with white ninjas with fire arrows before the goddamn save.

Chapter 2 is probably the hardest part of the game. The start of the chapter in particular was probably the hardest part, and maybe the room with the claws, but I can't remember if that was 11 or 2. But anyway be prepared to fight 5+ incendiary ninjas in the claw room at a time until you get through maybe 20 of them. Guillotine throw + OT is your friend in there, and 360 + Y lunar UT. Master ninja can be quite cheap, so just be cheap in return.

MCD

i upgraded the dragon sword, i only use the lunar against those big black spider ninjas later in the game where you get to fight 3 of them.

i didn't even get to the claw room, if only i can get to that save point before it...

Yeah, the first area is ridiculous. What I did was wait on the stairs, that way the ninjas had to come to me, and I could get off a UT without getting interrupted by a shuriken. At the same time the casters wont come after you until you finished off the incendiary guys so thats a plus. Rinse and repeat until you finished them all off. Then the dogs come... Fighting level 2 dogs with a small health bar and 2 weak weapons is retarded, I just ninpo'd the bow ninjas in the distance and ran by them. The save point is just past the next group of bow ninjas I think so you're pretty close to safety.

Yep, the set right before the first muramasa shop, you're out of line of sight completely until they turn the corner, then you can rip everyone apart with a UT (hoping that he doesnt teleport behind a wall after 2 hits). Abusing line of sight can be extremely helpful with UT's and more importantly UT'd bow shots.

MCD

i don't even need UT!

i can land izuna drops with no problem, they can't maneuver as fast here and the ninpo casters won't come near me till i cleared them all out :lol

now all that left is those goddamn dogs.

Izuna is all well and good, but I prefer the safer method of the UT (if you're unlucky you can get grabbed right after you land and take massive damage), plus you get more karma points for spamming UT's over doing varied combos. Such is the way of Ninja Gaiden.

Oh yeah, you have the spider mid boss coming up soon too, with his army of incendiary ninjas in his cramped space. :lol Chapter 2 is fucking brutal. It's fairly smooth sailing from there on out.

Vanish

Anasui Kishibe said:

restart, try, die again

same exact thing happened to me. i had to restart, especially considering i had no ninpo or healing items left when i got there.

Claws, Lunar, Scythe. Dragon Sword is decent, but I find the claws to be better. By far the best weapons in my opinion. As for ninpo, max out wind first, then either go for dark void or the fireballs. Phoenix wheel or whatever the fuck its called is complete shit. Dont waste anything on it.

SSM25

WOW!..I just bought this game and I can't imagine how did they manage to take the series one step behind...NG, black, sigma or any previous version is clearly better.

MCD

iconoclast said:
Izuna is all well and good, but I prefer the safer method of the UT (if you're unlucky you can get grabbed right after you land and take massive damage), plus you get more karma points for spamming UT's over doing varied combos. Such is the way of Ninja Gaiden.

Oh yeah, you have the spider mid boss coming up soon too, with his army of incendiary ninjas in his cramped space. :lol Chapter 2 is fucking brutal. It's fairly smooth sailing from there on out.
the spider boss takes a huge amount of damage after landing an izuna drop near him.

this + UT is how i beat him in the first chapter.

iconoclast said:

I thought if you get an insta-kill (kill them in the first combo) + OT (while they are dropping dead) you get 6000, while a UT is just 5000.

wayward archer said:
I thought if you get an insta-kill (kill them in the first combo) + OT (while they are dropping dead) you get 6000, while a UT is just 5000.

You may be right. I never payed a lot of attention to the system, but its still very easy to exploit. For example, killing the spider robot women things regularly would net you lets say 6000, or you can sit back and spam level 1 arrow UT's and you can rack up 30000+ per kill (if theres a shop nearby, like in that blue forest). Actually being able to finish a combo and end with an OT can be a problem too, what with all the shuriken spam that interrupts your attacks. But I dont really know, never cared about score so these are just some observations.

MCD

iconoclast, thanks again for telling me about that wonderful stairs trick.

btw, i ran away from the dogs :lol now when i go back they are no longer there.

McDragon said:
iconoclast, thanks again for telling me about that wonderful stairs trick.

btw, i ran away from the dogs :lol now when i go back they are no longer there.

Yeah, the high level dogs that early in the game is just stupid. One of the only encounters I skipped on MN (besides the hard tests of valor, had no patience for them at the time) Now that you reached the save point you might want to go back to the muramasa shop, theres a life of the gods orb in the door behind it (be prepared for more incendiary ninjas guarding it though).

MCD

iconoclast said:
Yeah, the high level dogs that early in the game is just stupid. One of the only encounters I skipped on MN (besides the hard tests of valor, had no patience for them at the time) Now that you reached the save point you might want to go back to the muramasa shop, theres a life of the gods orb in the door behind it (be prepared for more incendiary ninjas guarding it though).
i have no patience to get that orb, will buy it later from muramasa.

MCD

holy shit.

grabbing (X+A) then obliterating works wonder in that falcon talons room.

:bow iconoclast :bow2

:lol can't help but laugh at some of the shit team ninja throws at you in the new game, it's like the enemy placement was an afterthought. The rooms get pretty packed with enemies(large and smalller fiends), and none of them seem to be just standing around..everyones either attacking or throwing shit at Hayabusa.

MCD

i just found two glitches:

1- when fighting for the test of valor rod, you can go inside the falcon talons room and fight 2 to 3 ninjas only, the door will automatically close.

then you can open it yourself, go to the end of the room and fight the next set of ninjas, repeat for victory.

2- right after this place is the the archers at the look out stands, just take out the ninjas running at you then go back and save, the archers will no longer be there :lol

repeat for the next stands and rock on.

I really don't like bosses in this game. Throws are often unavoidable (how a boss gingerly picks me up while I'm in the middle of a Flying Swallow attack is beyond me) and it's often impossible to tell the difference between blockable and unblockable attacks. They don't have discernible patterns, so it's usually just about hoping they don't use a certain move or moves. One boss, for example, killed me a number of times because they kept using a thirty-second long grab move and kicking me away whenever I got close. I finally bested them because they used a move where they stand and swallow bones three times in a row.

I don't understand all the acronyms being used in this thread? What's a UT?

Feindflug said:
That's the reason why you should not use auto-save - especially in the harder difficulties, manual/multiple saves help you a lot in such Itagaki aka NO EXIT! situations. :(

heh, NOW I know :/

Vanish said:
same exact thing happened to me. i had to restart, especially considering i had no ninpo or healing items left when i got there.

share my pain, man. I was feeling so badass unil that moment. Meh, i don't know if I want to restart, game's boxed right now. Someday, maybe

TP

ShockingAlberto said:

UT is Ultimate Technique
OT is Obliteration Technique
IS is Incendiary Shuriken - usually refers to the ninjas that use them

MCD

ShockingAlberto said:
I really don't like bosses in this game. Throws are often unavoidable (how a boss gingerly picks me up while I'm in the middle of a Flying Swallow attack is beyond me) and it's often impossible to tell the difference between blockable and unblockable attacks. They don't have discernible patterns, so it's usually just about hoping they don't use a certain move or moves. One boss, for example, killed me a number of times because they kept using a thirty-second long grab move and kicking me away whenever I got close. I finally bested them because they used a move where they stand and swallow bones three times in a row.

yeah, alexei have this move where he can fly fast and grab you easily, really cheap.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm only up to Chapter 5 so far, but fucking christ the bosses are awful in this game. Alma caused a lot of grief in NG1, but at least there was a semblance of pattern, slight predictability, and required offensive and defensive attentiveness to clean up. The bosses here are just relentless, use cheap throws, have no discernable unblockable attack variances, and generally end in ten seconds(them or you). I have yet to feel the sort of satisfaction that comes from a grueling duel. Props to Chapter 3 for having a boss that nearly made me give up on the game entirely...

Love most everything else though(taking on waves of enemies feels so good!), but if there is still an argument for removing boss fights from gaming, this is a prime example. Just embarrassing.

MCD

genshin and elizabeth are probably the only good major bosses in the game.

zed and alexei grab a lot and volf isn't challenging enough.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
iconoclast said:
Claws, Lunar, Scythe. Dragon Sword is decent, but I find the claws to be better. By far the best weapons in my opinion.

I've been on a Lunar kick recently (had no idea about that 360+Y until just recently) but have now fully upgraded the Kasami-Gara and am trying to really learn it. I'm on Mentor now and it's kicking ass at clearing rooms. I dabbled with it a bit on Warrior but really didn't put in the time with it. Hell, it's probably the sole reason I pulled a Master Ninja ranking on Chapter 5 Mentor.

I've stayed away from the usual suspects as much as possible though I agree that the Claws are probably the best (definitely most bad-ass at least) unless we count Flying Swallow spamming w/ the DS. ;-)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Brandon F said:
Props to Chapter 3 for having a boss that nearly made me give up on the game entirely...

:lol He's by far the easiest boss in the game though it's a chore to fight him. There's another boss fight that's technically even easier but only if you know their particular weakness.

Top Bottom