• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

raYne

SpokkX said:
yeah I am aware that they are blockable. Still they break up the flow of the action as you have to block as soon as you are hit and it sticks to you.
Actually, you don't.. which he also just told you. There are alot of ways you can nullify the IS after you get stuck with it.

UT, OT, ninpo, guillotine throw, even a regular well timed dash will get you out of them with zero damage. I'm sure the head stomp does as well, but I've never really tried to use it to cancel it out.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
McDragon said:
the costumes are good but this is still my favorite:

2rh0dqp.jpg

I'll top ya with this:
ninja-gaiden-sigma-20060930040854200-000.jpg

Is it me or are the alternative costumes from Ninja Gaiden Black overall seem more classy than the ones for NG2?
ninjagaiden_costume.jpg

The ones for NG2 look somewhat tacky/tasteless, like that futuristc ninja suit with the lightsabers from the original version.

Partially unrelated, but I put my TV's PIP function to good use and posted my favorite Costumes from NGB and NG2.

28bqps1.jpg

U K Narayan, I'm really sorry, but I don't think I'll be re-upping my XBL Gold sub.

Jtyettis said:
What a joke. Cry some more for Pete's sake. Oh, no, no this couldn't being Tecmo's doing at all. Get real, particularly in light of what Tecmo did with Sigma DLC. Petty rants don't cut it anymore. Do your homework next time.

What people seem to have forgotten is that you couldn't even play NG mission mode offline as a normal game and you couldn't even save after you were done. In order to do all that you had to rebuy the game all over again which was another $50. So for those who bought NG and didn't have a Live account, in the end they ended up spending $100 just to get those missions.

vermadas

Rottweiler said:
What people seem to have forgotten is that you couldn't even play NG mission mode offline as a normal game and you couldn't even save after you were done. In order to do all that you had to rebuy the game all over again which was another $30. So for those who bought NG and didn't have a Live account, in the end they ended up spending $80 just to get those missions.

NG: Black debuted at $30.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
_dementia said:
Looks kinda like a bride thanks to the white veil.

That over the top glow it gives off makes all the blood even bloodier. What is that Alan Moore's Etrigan said in his classic Swamp Thing run about a rose growing in Hell? Yeah, that.

Mamesj

Banned
Gig said:
"month or two" ?!! This game needed to rebuilt from the ground up, yes the combat is superb , but everything else is no where near as polished or interesting.

nothing else matters besides the combat.

a Master Ninja said:
While the projectile spam pisses me off, I don't think this game wreaks of being "phoned in". The real culprit here is "rushed to market to compete with MGS4". NGII just needed another month or two of polish and balance tweaks to reach it's full potential, it has an incredibly solid foundation.

For a team ninja game, compared to last gen, this is phoned in. they stopped putting in the effort at some point. I think the solid foundation is just NG1, but with simplified levels (a good thing.) I know everyone disagrees but I think there are pretty big problems with limb hacking, the new battle scoring system, and of course, the A.I. That leaves us with ideas from NG1.

MCD

Mamesj said:
For a team ninja game, compared to last gen, this is phoned in. they stopped putting in the effort at some point. I think the solid foundation is just NG1, but with simplified levels (a good thing.) I know everyone disagrees but I think there are pretty big problems with limb hacking, the new battle scoring system, and of course, the A.I. That leaves us with ideas from NG1.

limp hacking is a blessing with the countless enemies.

anyway, another test of valor on mentor that i can't win :(

it's the chapter 6 one, with the robots :(

Mamesj said:
nothing else matters besides the combat.

I'm curious as to why you think limb hacking is flawed. IMO it's one of the best innovations to the combat system. Very satisfying to pull off and a good mix of tradeoffs (quick kills and yellow essence vs the chance at blue/red essence + limbless enemies being more defensive or wreckless + suicide grabs).

Victrix

*beard*
Indeed, the limb removal is brilliant, and one of the best additions to the game.

It doesn't hurt that the obliteration moves per enemy and weapon are completely and totally amazing, ignoring the mechanical aspects of it.

It also bleeds into the moveset - more complex strings tend to have a higher chance of limb removal, so you balance speed of execution against likelihood of limb removal->OT against AoE capability and so on. Great stuff.

FTWer said:
I'll top ya with this:
ninja-gaiden-sigma-20060930040854200-000.jpg

Is it me or are the alternative costumes from Ninja Gaiden Black overall seem more classy than the ones for NG2?
ninjagaiden_costume.jpg

The ones for NG2 look somewhat tacky/tasteless, like that futuristc ninja suit with the lightsabers from the original version.

Are these costumes also in the Ninja Gaiden Sigma game? I plan on buying that after I finish NG2. The second boss is kicking my ass at the moment.

MCD

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Are these costumes also in the Ninja Gaiden Sigma game? I plan on buying that after I finish NG2. The second boss is kicking my ass at the moment.
unfortunately, the last two (Ryuken and doa) are not available.

Victrix

*beard*
Nemesis556 said:
Got my Ultimate Technique achievement!:lol :lol

On my third playthrough as well - my ninpo + projectile one at that!

Apparently I don't whore UTs much, I still don't have it, and I've gone back through a few times now. I guess it all has to be on one game? I don't really like spamming UTs, they don't fit into my flow comfortably. I use them sparingly, and I utilize combo->air->drop->insta UT as part of my combat, but I rarely chain them back to back.

That might also explain why I never have the ludicrous essence amounts that people here report, I don't farm or spam enough UTs :p

MCD

you know, they really need to tone down Kusari-gama UT, shit is unstoppable and you don't need to hit an enemy to start it.

I was doing a weapons only run (Tonfa) - and I accidentally used the fuckin scythe after your kill the stupid wolf boss.

I simply turned the console off afterwards (so there was no auto/manual saving done). Will I still be able to load up the game (pre- stupid wolf boss fight) and still be okay?

Mamesj

Banned
wayward archer said:
I'm curious as to why you think limb hacking is flawed. IMO it's one of the best innovations to the combat system. Very satisfying to pull off and a good mix of tradeoffs (quick kills and yellow essence vs the chance at blue/red essence + limbless enemies being more defensive or wreckless + suicide grabs).

In Path of the Warrior, it was just so easy. Just use the move that takes off limbs easiest (often with Kusari, running + X. Or ninpo.), then clean up with OTs. The game felt like it boiled down to that formula, whereas NG1 didn't have that kind of an easy way out of a fight. I know that NGII's style is more about getting mobbed and so limb hacking is useful, but I didn't find it as satisfying as out-smarting enemies in NG1 was. Plus, the weapons in NGII are a bit overpowered with guard breaks/damage/limb hacks, but again, they kind of have to be.

Maybe I was just playing in too efficient of a way, but that's how I played NG1 (learning how to compete with the battle clock.)

edit: I'm not saying that they should take out anything, but if i had my way, it would be implemented in a way where it isn't godly, but also so that projectiles aren't the enemies main method of doing damage.

Victrix said:
Apparently I don't whore UTs much, I still don't have it, and I've gone back through a few times now. I guess it all has to be on one game?

No, I got both the 1000 UT and OT achievements on chapter 1 of my second play through. You just dont do UTs enough apparently. In a weird way it shows you've got skills. I rely on UTs in this game.:D

burgerdog

C- Warrior said:
I was doing a weapons only run (Tonfa) - and I accidentally used the fuckin scythe after your kill the stupid wolf boss.

I simply turned the console off afterwards (so there was no auto/manual saving done). Will I still be able to load up the game (pre- stupid wolf boss fight) and still be okay?

You should be fine.

Nutter

Meteor_of_War said:
No, I got both the 1000 UT and OT achievements on chapter 1 of my second play through. You just dont do UTs enough apparently. In a weird way it shows you've got skills. I rely on UTs in this game.:D
Speaking of which, what counts as an UT?

The Blue glow combo or Red?

explorer said:
FYI: Game is now available on MS Retail for retail employees ($9)
Yep, I bought a copy for a friend. I also bought every other piece of NG merchandise available. I'll post pics when they arrive.
Nutter said:
Speaking of which, what counts as an UT?

The Blue glow combo or Red?
I have to believe both, as I got mine during my second playthrough.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The limp hacking is the best addition to the series, it totally changes how you approach the combat. I love it.

Nif

Just beat it on Warrior, and I was not expecting it to be that difficult. :lol I agree that the projectiles (exploding shurikens in particular) were just ridiculous most of the time. The last fight was silly, too. I had to restart from the save point twice because
I'd use all my items at the first fight, then the second, and I couldn't beat the third.

I liked it, though. I didn't think the story was too awful considering it's only meant to give you a reason to fight. Chopping limbs off of enemies adds a lot to the combat. It was annoying to fight enemies that couldn't get chopped up like the dogs, bugs and spiders. I didn't get slowdown or in-game loading (much) unless I was dragging extra ninjas into other ninjas or doing the legendary staircase fight.

MCD

chapter 7 on mentor is probably the easiest one yet, the scythe is just unstoppable.

now that i think about it, it was the same as warrior, they didn't change anything, fucking weird.

ShinAmano

Nemesis556 said:
Can someone explain what this means? =/
For retail employees (best buy, gamestop ect) Microsoft has a training site that you take tests to earn points...you can then redeem the points for 'Free' games and other Microsoft products, but you pay shipping costs. They usually add all MS published 360 games (Halo, Gears ect) but the new ones get snapped up quick hence how I missed out on it :(

This is one thing (like Live Search Club) that I love about MS...they love to give out their products :D

Victrix

*beard*
You can use both. In fact, with enough patience, you can get near the end of the game using only projectiles, save it, and finish it rapidly with each one.

Granted, I don't see the point of that, unless you're one of those creepy achivement whores :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ah that's good to hear. I beat the game earlier tonight and I mainly used the DS throughout the game, so doing these weapon runs should prove to be fun. Then I'll move on to Mentor and MN difficulties. The Talons are so insanely badass.

Oh I did play the first chapter on Mentor to test the mode, died on the very first battle haha, then I realized how good the counters are! After that, I didn't have much problems in the chapter. But I'll concentrate on weapon runs for now.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Meteor_of_War said:

I got that UT Achievement in one play-through even having missed the Tests Of Valor completely. :D

And speaking of skills,

HOW THE HELL DO I BEAT CHAPTER 2 GENSHIN ON MENTOR?

I had to stop playing yesterday as I hit the proverbial wall against him. Damn those asshole IS Ninjas. Damn them to hell. For reference, I have the DS and Talons up to level 2.

Victrix

*beard*
Kill the IS ninjas first, then kill Genshin, but don't ignore Genshin if he exposes himself.

Yes, it's a pain :p Occasionally the camera is going to flip out and you're going to get toasted.

I think at L2 you have aerial Izuna with the Lunar, you can use that by Wind Path jumping at the IS ninjas and nailing them as you get close to the ground (the X+A jump)

Burn your Ki on them too, if you have any left, ideally just as you get stuck with a Shuriken.

Once they're down, it's just a matter of focusing on Genshin like normal, you should know most of his attack strings by now, he hasn't really changed.

By the time I killed him, I found that the best way to do the fight wasn't to fully ignore Genshin though - any time he was nearby, I'd keep an eye on him, if he exposed himself, I'd pound him with a full combo. As a result, each fight I found I was starting the post IS ninja stage of the fight with him already half dead.

MCD

i beat him with the claws, try to kill the ninjas with ninpo.

and try not to jump, genshin will flying swallow you if you do.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Victrix said:
Kill the IS ninjas first, then kill Genshin, but don't ignore Genshin if he exposes himself.

You know, I never realized that I could kill the IS Ninjas entirely and that they wouldn't respawn and that Genshin would eventually be all by his lonesome. Now that I know this, it's gonna be cake. I kept only killing the Ninjas when they'd be close as I was focusing solely on Genshin. Talk about frustration.

The claws: there's a >X,XXX move where if the initial >X move hits, it chains into these crazy awesome back and forth slashes that do massive damage on Genshin.

Ifrit

BigBlackGamer said:
master ninja is killing me....what is this shit. :(

Yeah, I see what you mean, just started it (currently on ch2) and it's just insane, and I don't even know if that's a good thing. IS ninjas and flame archers all over the place, everything on those chapters is killing the crap out of me :(

ShinAmano

bob_arctor said:
HOW THE HELL DO I BEAT CHAPTER 2 GENSHIN ON MENTOR?
Just hold block and keep a distance...when he attacks move in for yours and hit him a few times...rinse and repeat. The thing with Genshin is he fights fair, you wont see any cheap moves from him.

I came into this game hating it. I hated the invisible walls, I hated the lack of polish, some of the bizarre choices in game design, and I hated Sonia, she without question is the most unattractive, bland female character Team Ninja has ever created... and don't get me started about the incendiary throwing ninja dogs... I mean it's probably funny as a joke character - the Ninja Dogs some of us are in Gaiden getting brutally raped by the Ninja Dogs in the game. I mean, fine, as far as jokes go, it's pretty funny. But as an enemy character it just doesn't make sense. I mean how are these dogs able to throw shurikens and arm it at the same time without the use of hands? Really this type of things keep me up at night. Is there a Special K9 Spider Clan team that dedicates their whole life to training these Ninja Dogs to be a lethal fighting force without blowing themselves up?

If so, then the Spider Ninja Clan deserve much props.

I mean other than keeping a mountain village that keeps getting owned game after game, what have the Dragon Ninjas achieved? Pretty much nothing. The Dragon Ninjas, except for the Hayabusas are pretty much USELESS Ninjas.

But complaints aside I enjoyed the combat, some parts I though were unfair like the shooting segments until I learned to rely more on the auto-lock on. Team Ninja, dudes, first you let us free look with the right stick but when it comes to firing a bow we have to use the left stick? So much for consistency.

But anyway the turning point for me was starting the game over in Mentor. I mean Mentor is like a Special Edition of Ninja Gaiden, the difficulty is pitched just right for me. Ninja Gaiden on Mentor reveals Itagaki's unlikely inspiration: Halo - Combat Evolved.

NGS2 on mentor is like a combat playground where no two fights are alike. Every fight demands full concentration, every fight is to the death. It is sweet, sweet, combat bliss. I've been stuck at the first test of valor for a couple of days now, and I'm loving pretty much every moment. Even with all it's flaws, lack of polish and DLC wallet raping, NG2 remains in my mind the greatest action game of all time.

I hope I get through the first test of valor this week and I hope Itagaki and his Ninja Lieutenants gets to do more action games, the man has a gift. What a way to blow it Tecmo!

Top Bottom