• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

BeeDog

Bearillusion said:
Not intended to be a troll. Does Sigma run at 1080p or 720p?

The ordinary resolution is 720p (I think it's the standard 1280x720), and the 1080p mode is some semi-FullHD (something along 1280x1080 upscaled). The 1080p mode is hideous.

MCD

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1169099&postcount=86

1120x585 confirmed.

explanation for this resolution:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1168976&postcount=63

Quaz51 said:
1120x585 would be another type of anamorphic resolution, opposed to the other classic anamorphic 1024x600 use in some X360 (COD4, PGR3, Oblivion, TR...)
but there are little more pixel in 1120x585 than in 1024x600 and 1120x585 is the better use of the EDRAM space that i have seen. it's 9.998MiB, just a 2KiB residue unused. maybe it explain this choice

duckroll

ZeroTolerance said:
A bit disappointing but that is not to say the game does not look amazingly gorgeous. Wonder why Itagaki did not take advantage of all that X360 power he talked about.

Because he was clearly too busy giving interviews about why Hayashi's team sucked balls. Should've been watching his own balls instead.

Don't lots of alpha-blended polygons eat fillrate? And all those blood spurts must be alpha-blended polygons. Maybe that's why they had to lower the resolution?

ZeroTolerance

duckroll said:
Because he was clearly too busy giving interviews about why Hayashi's team sucked balls. Should've been watching his own balls instead.

There is always a next time I guess. Will definitely be playing this just for the gore.:D

duckroll

ZeroTolerance said:
There is always a next time I guess. Will definitely be playing this just for the gore.:D

Next time won't matter either. Itagaki has promised that his next game will have lots of violence too!

ZeroTolerance

duckroll said:
Next time won't matter either. Itagaki has promised that his next game will have lots of violence too!

Well, just hope he will spend more time on his game and making it the best it absolutely can be instead of going off on other developers. But then again, this is Itagaki, the man is easy to hate but his games are awesome and so he gets away with almost anything.

duckroll

ZeroTolerance said:
Well, just hope he will spend more time on his game and making it the best it absolutely can be instead of going off on other developers. But then again, this is Itagaki, the man is easy to hate but his games are awesome and so he gets away with almost anything.

He didn't get away from me! When I found out DoAXBV2 was 30fps, I cancelled my preorder. NG2 looks awesome though.

ZeroTolerance

duckroll said:
He didn't get away from me! When I found out DoAXBV2 was 30fps, I cancelled my preorder. NG2 looks awesome though.

what FPS is it running at ? I know the res but that doesn't matter to me since I have an SDTV so resolution does not really apply to me.

duckroll

ZeroTolerance said:
what FPS is it running at ? I know the res but that doesn't matter to me since I have an SDTV so resolution does not really apply to me.

Of course NG2 is 60fps. If it's 30fps I would have never ordered it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
duckroll, the new 60fps 60fps 60fps guy :D?

duckroll

Seiken said:
duckroll, the new 60fps 60fps 60fps guy :D?

Not at all, I just don't like falling standards. Itagaki set a standard of 60fps with DoAXBV1, there's no reason why the sequel that doesn't even look THAT much better is 30fps.

MCD

duckroll said:
Not at all, I just don't like falling standards. Itagaki set a standard of 60fps with DoAXBV1, there's no reason why the sequel that doesn't even look THAT much better is 30fps.
*cough*Infinite Undiscovery*cough*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
duckroll said:
Yeah... That's actually one of the bad things about MGS3... :(

duckroll

McDragon said:
*cough*Infinite Undiscovery*cough*

Those are the same standards I'm talking about. I don't expect every game to be 60fps, but I expect it from developers who have consistantly released games in 60fps previously to continue doing so.

BeeDog

Seiken said:
Yeah... That's actually one of the bad things about MGS3... :(

Compare how much stuff there's on screen in MGS3 compared to the second game. I personally think the third game looks like a now-gen game compared to the second one. ;)

duckroll

BeeDog said:
Compare how much stuff there's on screen in MGS3 compared to the second game. I personally think the third game looks like a now-gen game compared to the second one. ;)

There's no doubt a huge jump in MGS3 graphically, but that doesn't change the fact that the drop in framerate was definitely disappointing. The fact that the game made up for it in other areas is the only reason it was acceptable.

BeeDog

I'm definitely glad I'm not like you then, I don't let a drop in frame rate kill my possible enjoyment of a game. I only wish it to be as stable as possible.

BeeDog said:
I'm definitely glad I'm not like you then, I don't let a drop in frame rate kill my possible enjoyment of a game. I only wish it to be as stable as possible.
Well then how do you not care about the drop in framerate in 3? It wasn't stable at all.

duckroll

BeeDog said:

I didn't say it would kill my enjoyment of a game, just that it's disappointing. You can be disappointed in parts of things you enjoy too. MGS3 running at 60fps would have been amazing, although it's clearly not possible on the PS2.

BeeDog

proposition said:
Well then how do you not care about the drop in framerate in 3? It wasn't stable at all.

Most likely because I was younger back then and oblivious to the drops. I do at least remember nothing in the game dropped to SOTC-levels.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yay, finished Black! The tower of doom in the last chapter was annoying, fucking ghost fish. Incredible game, enjoyed it thoroughly. Only things bringing it down were the camera and the annoying platform sections. Those frustrated me more than most of the bosses, so that's telling. I hope Itagaki cuts down on those in II.

I started on hard just to see what it was like and I got my ass kicked in the first chapter before I could even reach a save point :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
what's weird about those things is that you're doing great one time, picking off waves of them with the flails and getting the essence, while suddenly getting swamped in the next second, resulting in major health loss. Twitchy eye moment: I got to the last floor of the doom tower and I noticed the save point, when a last wave of ghost fish nailed me. I couldn't even get into the menu to take a potion :(

USD

I was actually expecting NGII to be sub-HD. I remember the first gameplay video Team Ninja released had black borders going around it. But it's not like it matters much to me, since I'll be rocking the game out in glorious 480i. :lol

Darunia said:
what's weird about those things is that you're doing great one time, picking off waves of them with the flails and getting the essence, while suddenly getting swamped in the next second, resulting in major health loss. Twitchy eye moment: I got to the last floor of the doom tower and I noticed the save point, when a last wave of ghost fish nailed me. I couldn't even get into the menu to take a potion :(
What bothered me most about the Ghost Fish is that they swarm you with button-mashing, brainless numbers. They contradict the skill/brains/etc of the combat that everyone loves to gush about with NG.

Darunia said:

Jump back and forth with the dragon sword using a simple X hit. Keep on jumping and slashing and you wont ever get hurt.

Edit. Video of the tactic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ev-4qJ9eOk

USD

The Ghost Fish really aren't that hard. They almost always spawn in groups of six. I just start off the standard X,X,X, etc. Flail combo, count out six kills, stop, recover, and repeat. If latched onto, I immediately use Ninpo upon breaking free. The ghost fish are only intimidating the first few times you see them.

Gaogaogao

Captain Glanton said:
What bothered me most about the Ghost Fish is that they swarm you with button-mashing, brainless numbers. They contradict the skill/brains/etc of the combat that everyone loves to gush about with NG.
is this any different from ng1? already conquered them. great for essence farming.

Mamesj

Banned
duckroll said:

that was incredibly lame. I'll take sub-HD, whatever. I don't notice a difference between 1280x720 and 1279x719. That 30fps shit was the largest fork in my back that game left (of several) :lol

grap3fruitman said:
bscap0061.jpg

More proof! I await the day Itagaki goes to Sega.

and is Milky-chan supposed to be James Mielke?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Whooooaaaa, ninja gaiden black is awesome as hell. :lol This is my first time playing. I love the combat, even though some of the enemies have seemed to grab me from doing something, on some Guilty Gear XX Accent Core type shit. I love countering the hell out of kick happy bastards. :lol

The only thing that sucks so far is the shitty ass camera. Even Shinobi's camera pissed me off less than this. By far the worst out of all the action games I have played.

At any rate, made it to chpt. 3. This boss is going down.

Can't wait for 2 to hit stores.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm disappointed that the thread took that little turn for the worst a few pages ago, over something that nobody even noticed until some guy on a forum sat there counting pixels told you so.

Does that not in itself tell you how stupid it is to get mad about something that you couldn't even tell by yourself? Maybe it's because I'm one of the few on here with the demo, and that I clocked in over 10 hours with it only being half of the first level, and being able to see all that geometry of the huge stage with no loading, battling eight, ten ninjas with the best AI in an action game at the same time, being able to go allllllll the way back to the beginning at Muramasa's Shop to see every single limb, bloody stump and blood pool that I left behind in my ninja rage still be there - all at 60fps with slowdowns in only two exact areas in the demo...

...to come on here and read people whining about pixels - what. the. fuck.

This pixel-counting BS has to be the most worthless habit to happen this gen I swear... especially when the 360 upscales perfectly anyways...

And I still can't upload my videos because my ISP is still screwed up - damn retards...

captain wow said:
Jump back and forth with the dragon sword using a simple X hit. Keep on jumping and slashing and you wont ever get hurt.

Edit. Video of the tactic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ev-4qJ9eOk

This is the tactic I taught myself way back in 2004, and never got the complaints for the Ghost Fish ever since... it was always funny to read people complain though...

Chrange

Banned
I wasn't that impressed by the visuals at the start of the demo, in the cutscene that opens it up, but once the game started I had no complaints. A few spots of slowdown (one in a corridor) but otherwise amazing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oldschoolgamer said:
The only thing that sucks so far is the shitty ass camera. Even Shinobi's camera pissed me off less than this. By far the worst out of all the action games I have played.

Well, buckle your seatbelt, because NG2's is worse in several places, mainly during certain boss fights.

Still absolutely worth playing, but the camera issues are really disappointing after so many iterations of the first game.

Mamesj

Banned
Linkzg said:
More proof! I await the day Itagaki goes to Sega.

and is Milky-chan supposed to be James Mielke?

I don't know, but they thank "Milky-chan" in every game...so I doubt its him.

VegaShinra

Has anyone been able to confirm the resolution stuff yet? No matter what the resolution is, the game still looks amazing and I think people need to calm down on the whole "Not HD Resolution" stuff.

raYne said:
The xbox prototype lives!

Speaking of which, what did they use in it's place for Sigma?
The Team Ninja Logo if I remember correctly.

raYne

Cianalas said:
Seems kind of pointless now what with the health regen and whatnot.
Well, you don't regen the full damage you've taken. It's split into mortal damage recoverable damage depending on the game's setting. In addition, you only get the regen after you've killed everyone in the area.

icecream

Public Health Threat
duckroll said:
Those are the same standards I'm talking about. I don't expect every game to be 60fps, but I expect it from developers who have consistantly released games in 60fps previously to continue doing so.
Next pre-order cancellation confirmed.

Top Bottom