• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden released 20 years ago - Team Ninja Celebrates

Bombolone

Gold Member
Was the only reason (game) I went into the Xbox ecosystem for back in the day (before other releases)
Hands down a top 3 game for me.

Astral Dog

I played these games when the new collection came out, found Ninja Gaiden 2(Sigma) to be better than the first game,despite what i heard

Its the core combat and animations that are alot more fluid, the first game felt more frustrating than 'fun' but still worth a playthrough, i wish they show Ninja Gaiden 4 already

I still have my original copy of Ninja Gaiden and my OG Xbox with the two Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Packs downloaded onto the hard drive. So it's Ninja Gaiden Black WITH the NES trilogy. 😎 Athough Ninja Gaiden Black on the Series X in 4k and 60 FPS is amazing as well.

The Master Ninja Tournament at the 2004 Tokyo Game Show.

I am a bit jealous. Do you also have the one optional update with parry counters?

On PC with black mod it's basically Ninja Gaiden 2, they did an immense job of matching NG2 enemy spawns, blood gore, executions, HP of enemies, etc, it's a 99% mathc, with all the graphic enhancements.

So like I said, PC master collection with mods, totally fine. Even /r/ninjagaiden would be fine with this recommendation and not be rabid about it.

It is not on par. Not even close. If you play the Aqua Capitol the difference is like night and day. Sigma 2 is like a portable port of the game with many things dumbed down and some unnecessary extra content sprinkled on top.

Varteras

Gold Member
Aging Jamie Lee Curtis GIF

Buggy Loop

It is not on par. Not even close. If you play the Aqua Capitol the difference is like night and day.

Some would argue it’s better

Nothing about that stage was particularly good, shorter it is the better. Again seen and argued many times over the years, by the most hardcore of fans. It’s tiring.

Sigma 2 with black mod is 99% original

Stop being a drama queen. Not even r/ninjagaiden would be as polarized. Go ask them.

SkylineRKR

Ninja Gaiden and Tecmo never hit the heights of the original Xbox NG1 and NG2 again. People are all over Nioh, but frankly I think its boring and it arguably looks worse than the X-enhanced NG2.

I beat both games on Series S not too long ago. They hold up. Ignore the Sigma collection and get these instead.

John Bilbo

I am a fool for skipping these games because of the Sigma versions.

Is it feasible to emulate the original / Black versions of these games on PC or should I just buy the Sigma versions and maybe mod them?

Reactions: Isa
Some would argue it’s better

Nothing about that stage was particularly good, shorter it is the better. Again seen and argued many times over the years, by the most hardcore of fans. It’s tiring.

Sigma 2 with black mod is 99% original

Stop being a drama queen. Not even r/ninjagaiden would be as polarized. Go ask them.
Nothing better about a Lycan rampage and a Lycan cut in half being censored. Nothing better about a gorgeous waterfall and running fountain being removed entirely. Nothing better about a battle with a Demon Water Dragon being reduced to taking pot shots from a fixed platform instead of taking it head on. They did not make it shorter. They just turned it from a crown jewel to plastic junk. Also, I don't like the Reddit mindhive. That lot cannot even come up with a single optimal solution to most rudimentary problems.

Ninja Gaiden and Tecmo never hit the heights of the original Xbox NG1 and NG2 again. People are all over Nioh, but frankly I think its boring and it arguably looks worse than the X-enhanced NG2.

I beat both games on Series S not too long ago. They hold up. Ignore the Sigma collection and get these instead.
I agree that Team Ninja is worse without Itagaki, but isn't Nioh a PlayStation console exclusive?

I am a fool for skipping these games because of the Sigma versions.

Is it feasible to emulate the original / Black versions of these games on PC or should I just buy the Sigma versions and maybe mod them?
Sigma 1 with mods on PC will give you the best experience. Sigma II is downgraded so irrepairably that emulating Ninja Gaiden II on Xenia with retail disc (needs great cpu and modern mid-range gpu) or playing digital copy on Xbox Series console is better.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have played Ninja Gaiden Black and it was so good. Sadly I couldn't kill the final boss. It was really difficult.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Identical outside of improved textures/models, added Rachel chapters, improved (not inverted horizontally and more responsive) camera, added jump shot, simplified more versatile water running mechanic, new motorcycle unit, and a few map changes (some challenge rooms altered, underwater chapter simplified with less key item interactions, different military gate opening trigger, and redundant switches/door removed in Imperial City). *PC version is slightly downgraded (if unmodded) from PS3 release in UI and missing Ayane voice clips.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma II -

P.S. It is a shame the unlockable NES trilogy was removed after Black update to Ninja Gaiden as the unlockable arcade game is terrible.

Sigma 1 also removed the ore collecting among other things. And it added a quick select for items which was a huge plus. But Sigma 1 kind of feels similar to NG1, the encounters are pretty much identical. While I prefer NGB, I never advised against playing NGS1.

Its Sigma 2 thats completely different. Mainly the enemy count. It doesn't feel right. Many rooms and corridors are completely empty, and even without playing the original you'd think something should have gone down. In return they made the enemies more durable. And on harder difficulties they were more prone to ohko grab you since they buffed the incoming damage.

I also prefer the different projectiles you can use in NG2. And the fact you have to manage your loadout. I like its economy in general. Sigma 2 dumbed down a lot of things. It was novel being able to buy this 360 exclusive on PS3, but in the end it did make me feel indifferent to it. On the contrary, I've longed for OG NG2 again and it was the first thing I purchased for XSS back then. Its such a good enhancement, it puts many of those 'remasters' you have to pay for to shame. Its the same game, but the rez has been quadrupled and the framerate refuses to dip below 60 even on the staircase. Its a looker still.

I have played Ninja Gaiden Black and it was so good. Sadly I couldn't kill the final boss. It was really difficult.
You could just max out items by farming fish and upgrade Dabihlaro to max. The flying stage is a matter of hitting hard between lasers and using Ninpo during them. The ground stage is a matter of using projectiles with a boom and dodging. The finale is a matter of blocking, rolling, and countering when the boss is vulnerable without letting your health drop to zero. Only if you saved after first two stages leaving you with no items will you need to replay the game.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Someone should go do for Osman what Team Ninja did for Ninja Gaiden already.

Last edited:
Sigma 1 also removed the ore collecting among other things. And it added a quick select for items which was a huge plus. But Sigma 1 kind of feels similar to NG1, the encounters are pretty much identical. While I prefer NGB, I never advised against playing NGS1.
It is not an exhaustive list. I even skipped the equipable gear with perks unlockable in different difficulties of Sigma. That post was also not in reply to you.

Someone should go do for Osman what Team Ninja did for Ninja Gaiden.
It is an unofficial sequel to Strider and you already know Capcom's stance on the IP it originates from. They are also one of the few companies that could probably pull it off with their Devil May Cry experience. The other one is Platinum Games with a great director at the helm.

Last edited:
Ya know how people reacted when the one dude said we should make a modern Terminator reboot in Off-Topic? Yeah I feel that way about the goofy 3D Ninja Gaiden reboot.

ninja gaiden vintage GIF by G1ft3d

Alan Wake

What a game. One of those games on the Xbox that really showed off the system. Loved the gameplay but I remember Ninja Gaiden as really tough.

Ozzie666

The originals on NES were pretty cutting edge with the cinematics, a head of it's time. Can't forget the Sega Master System version too.

Also, the Original Xbox release, from memory is really under rated. Ninja Gaiden in 3D, Dead or Alive 3, Ralisport challenge and a slew of Sega titles near launch.

RaduN

As someone who finished NG1 bl and Sigma 1 on Very Hard (MN was too much for me) and NG2 and Sigma 2 on MN, multiple times (i don't think i played anything else for like 6 moths when i got NG2 on 360), i can definitlely say that, while Sigma 1 is overall ok-ish, with some extra useless shit thrown in, but nothing game breaking, Sigma 2 is a complete mess compared to vanilla 2.
It's completely dumbed down, gameplay mechanics are changed without any kind of thought and planning, it feels just like those 8 bit brazilian copies of nes games where the aesthetics were similar but everything else was fucked up.

If one plays Sigma 2 and thinks this is what Gaiden 2 was all about...boy they're completely and utterly wrong.

Buggy Loop

Tried Xemu

Is there like a very specific release that is better than the others?

I got to water and it looked like this

294700639-6c246cb7-9a8e-4948-a210-6cf7fbfd4643.png

Larry David Reaction GIF

Tried Xemu

Is there like a very specific release that is better than the others?
I am sorry, but classic Xbox emulation on PC is incomplete, so such issues are inevitable. You can try CXBX-Reloaded (with all emulation hacks enabled), but it uses XBE associated files extracted from ISO files with extract-XISO commandline program.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

By the way

Most neogaf members would not recall this but gaming-age site back then had a review that set the forum on fire

C-

Ninja Gaiden is just not the Ninja Gaiden I expected. It's overwhelmingly mediocre, not enjoyable to play, and the horrendous camera alone destroys any redeeming factors the game may have. Most PlayStation 2 owners should remember Square's similarly over hyped The Bouncer. I'd almost go as far as proclaiming Ninja Gaiden to be the Xbox equivalent.

-- Paul Bryant

Funny GIF

I’ll always remember that review.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That’s not how words nor time work…

Reboots donot erase the existence of the originals.

Yasuda~bitch~San didn’t say: “Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Ninja Gaiden Reboot Series”

The OG series are not BJ’s in the Oval Office, they are the start of the Ninja Gaiden series… they clearly DO count
But he was referring to the Reboot. I think that the classic trilogy covers a different universe... There is no link between the characters or the environment.

Tarnpanzer

To (shortly) hijack this thread:

What is the suggested order to play the 3D-games? (if I want the full package)

NG 1 Black -> NG 1 Sigma -> NG 2 -> NG 2 Sigma -> NG 3 RE?

Havoc2049

To (shortly) hijack this thread:

What is the suggested order to play the 3D-games? (if I want the full package)

NG 1 Black -> NG 1 Sigma -> NG 2 -> NG 2 Sigma -> NG 3 RE?
The Ninja Master way is on a Xbox Series X and play Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II in 4k/60 FPS, and then Ninja Gaiden III Razor's Edge in 1080p/60 FPS. You can get either physical copies or buy digital.

The easy way is get the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection on either the Xbox Series X, PS5 or PC and play Sigma I, Sigma II and NGIIIRE.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

That’s not how words nor time work…

Reboots donot erase the existence of the originals.

Yasuda~bitch~San didn’t say: “Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Ninja Gaiden Reboot Series”

The OG series are not BJ’s in the Oval Office, they are the start of the Ninja Gaiden series… they clearly DO count

Prehistoric NES games are irrelevant.

The Ninja Master way is on a Xbox Series X and play Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II in 4k/60 FPS, and then Ninja Gaiden III Razor's Edge in 1080p/60 FPS. You can get either physical copies or buy digital.

The easy way is get the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection on either the Xbox Series X, PS5 or PC and play Sigma I, Sigma II and NGIIIRE.
I think a Ninja Master can skip the third wheel entirely. Pure ninja dog slop that one is.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

But he was referring to the Reboot.
True but his/(the English corporate marketing side of Team Ninja really) lack of specificity in communication opens the door for me to be pedantically observant.
Prehistoric NES games are irrelevant.
Your mom is also irrelevant but we ALL still lover her.

Don’t see what any of that has to do with the point that the Ninja Gaiden series began in 1988

Buggy Loop

I take back what I said about Sigma. I played NG1 on the PS5 last night and the gameplay in that is still lightyears better than 99% of modern AAA games.

At the end of Ninja Gaiden Black play through also and yea

I remember playing this game at the time but kind of forgot outside of having a good opinion of it

Replaying it it’s shocking. What the fuck happened at Team Ninja in those years? Lightning in a bottle? The map is fantastic. The enemy AI is brutal. The visuals for the time age so well. Has a bit of metroidvania with just a dash of RE weirdness with statues and puzzles.

The music, omg

So was it one of a kind lightning in a bottle situation where a team was at the peak of gaming design, or the industry just regressed?

I still can’t even swim in a Souls game. I could in NJB. Whyyy didn’t anyone make an action game like this after all this time?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do i need to play the first one? Or can i just jump into the second?

Not at all. I really like the first game, but objectively Nioh 2 is better in almost every aspect* and there's no real continuity to worry about.

There's a section in the 3rd DLC that acts has a couple of missions that act as a post-script to William's story, but its no more tied to that game than then Hayabusa clan cameos in other missions is tied to Ninja Gaiden. Basically fan-service in the old meaning of the term.

*You could make a case for the first game being easier to get into because its less complex mechanically. For instance its more obviously inspired by Souls' and DMC. Nioh 2 relaxes the need to constantly collect amrita after death, and the Yokai transform mode is much less of an OP "devil trigger" thing than it is in the first.

Do i need to play the first one? Or can i just jump into the second?
Nioh 2 is a prequel lore-wise. You'd be fine playing it before 1.

1 is excellent as well, definitely has it's own vibe. The remasters are excellent, would recommend grabbing the Nioh Collection to snag both if you see it on sale.

Top Bottom