• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden released 20 years ago - Team Ninja Celebrates

Generic

At the end of Ninja Gaiden Black play through also and yea

I remember playing this game at the time but kind of forgot outside of having a good opinion of it

Replaying it it’s shocking. What the fuck happened at Team Ninja in those years? Lightning in a bottle? The map is fantastic. The enemy AI is brutal. The visuals for the time age so well. Has a bit of metroidvania with just a dash of RE weirdness with statues and puzzles.

The music, omg

So was it one of a kind lightning in a bottle situation where a team was at the peak of gaming design, or the industry just regressed?

I still can’t even swim in a Souls game. I could in NJB. Whyyy didn’t anyone make an action game like this after all this time?
The water segments were all bad.

Still haven't beaten one of their games.

Got pretty far with ninja gaiden back in the day. But it was too hard. Shame cause I loved it.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the best games of all time.

What more could you really ask for? Fantastic action, great graphics, hot babes, a compelling enough story.

The high difficulty level can get frustrating at times but it's still legit one of the greatest I've played.

Buggy Loop

The water segments were all bad.

I recalled it was not my favourite part but eh, replaying it and it’s really not bad. Adds a dash of adventure. The maze is a bit too long, but coming back to the water filled crypt is also pretty neat map wise.

Senua

The industry regressed to turn action games into cinematic experiences first, games second.
jim-ryan-playstation.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Maybe after Ronin bombs then team ninja will consider making a new NG.

Hell capcom is overdue now for a devil may cry 6.

Fahdis

I played the original a few days ago and finished it. Im sorry to say, but what a boring experience Story Wise. Gameplay is amazing though. Game is hard as balls. Hope NG2 Sigma is better.

Last edited:
I know action games are not the easiest genre but not a single indie dev?
Animations and combat systems on that level are extremely difficult and expensive, don't forget that ngb is running on DOA's fighting game logic, which is a genre generally too intensive for indie devs to tackle.

RaduN

I played the original a few days ago and finished it. Im sorry to say, but what a boring experience Story Wise. Gameplay is amazing though. Game is hard as balls. Hope NG2 Sigma is better.
NG Sigma 2, while a pretty good action hack and slash, is a piece of shit compared to Xbox360 Ninja Gaiden 2. That my friend, is a God damn masterpiece. Even more so, played on a recent Xbox console with better IQ and framerate.

I disagree, the story gets the job done in giving you motivation, you see this beautiful young woman get murdered, you want to kick the ass of the people responsible.

And the setting of Vigoor was really creative and unique, even if it made no sense why middle eastern style building, an Egyptian tomb, a Cambodian temple and a Mayan pyramid were all somehow in the same place, but that's 8/16 bit style "rule of cool" in the best of ways.

CamHostage

The head of Team Ninja forgot that the Ninja Gaiden series started back in 1988 with the release of the arcade version of the original game, which also got NES and multiple consoles and computers of that era.

So, of course, yes. (And I don't know how whoever proofread/translated what I assume was originally Japanese text did not know to make the distinction of writing "our Ninja Gaiden series", not "the Ninja Gaiden series", or something like that.) There's a lot of headscratching omissions in this short notice.

That said, it's clearly a "Gambare!" rallying cry for the current Team Ninja as much as it is a celebration of the "second" NG Trilogy/Saga. I like the NES games better than the Xbox games, but I'm not offended that they're celebrating their heritage.

As far as I know, nobody from the Arcade's Strong Team or any of the Tecmo NES NG crew are around at Tecmo anymore (none even seem to have been involved with this Trilogy) and Itagaki is also long gone, plus Team Ninja has had turnover as it is (and hasn't made a new NG since 2012, disregarding Yaiba.) So making it about this team and these games is at least celebrating something about the series in an otherwise dark time. And this Team Ninja would likely be the only ones who could do it again someday (even though they keep busying themselves with other things,) so IMO it's good for them to get some goodwill going for the Team Ninja take on the franchise.

Team Ninja even remembering that it used to make Ninja Gaiden games is a good thing, whatever wonky wording they use to do it.

CamHostage

...However, if this slight of crediting actually got "Strong Team" members to come out at long last and identify themselves by name as the creators of Ninja Gaiden Arcade, that would be amazing!

U187CIo.png

We have a pretty good idea of who the NES game creators were despite codenames in the final credits, but NG Arcade credits are cryptic (even the bits which are in Japanese aren't names) and incomplete. (Rus Mclaughlin says it was Shuichi Sakurazaki who made the Arcade game, MobyGames lists a different "Sakurazaki" as the codename for famed designer Hideo Yoshizawa for at least the NES games. As verified in a 1UP interview, they are not the same person. )

Last edited:

Miles708

The only reason someone wouldn't consider Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2 the best action games in history, is if they didn't play them.

Top Bottom