• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades: “‘Hellblade 2’ will make ‘Hellblade’ look like an indie game”

Pedro Motta

Indie is not about how big is the budget, it’s about how it was funded and/or published, independently without the help from publishers, or not.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So Hellblade 1 is AAA now, and Hellblade 2 is Microsoft's so-called AAAA game?

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

SafeOrAlone

Banned
His point is clear as mud, but I think we get it - HB2 will be a huge step up in terms of budget, scope, and ambition. He’s speaking in relative terms. Works well enough for me.

Ev1L AuRoN

Can't wait to see a game truly take advantage of the Series X hardware. Hope my humble RTX 2060 can cope with it, fingers cross for DLSS support.

supernova8

Banned
The Ninja Theory co-founder says the game is focusing on "capturing reality"

Tameen-2-2000x1270-1-696x442.jpg

In an interview with NME, Antoniades said that the team’s ambition has taken the form of an all-encompassing approach to the idea of “capturing reality.”

“The goal with Hellblade 2 isn’t to perfect it, but to create an experience that feels more believable and more refined. Its ambition in terms of scale is bigger. I think Hellblade 2 will make Hellblade look like an indie game,” said Antoniades.

Over 40 locations in Iceland were scouted and narrowed down before being scanned into Hellblade 2‘s engine. Real costumes were also created and scanned in, and Melina Juergens – who plays the titular Senua – was trained by a combat expert to perform the in-engine combat herself.

“The idea is believability – making things look real or believable – and the best way to do that is to base everything on real things,” added Antoniades.

What a pretentious muppet. I mean look at that photo. I swear he has had more hairstyles than I've had hot dinners.

Also... as many have said... how about stfu and release the fucking thing. You announced it back in 2019 and we've seen ONE in-game gameplay segment.

TonyK

I think people are waiting Hellblade 2 to be God of War, in the same way other people expected The Medium to be the new Silent Hill. And I fear Hellblade 2, looking the career of the studio, I payed all their games, will be closer to what it has been The Medium that what people expects.

Said that, I wish it will be a great game. I don't want this game, or any game by the way, fails, but I fear it will do it. It's not the same.

Shmunter

I really liked the first one, but I always considered it an “indie game”. Maybe he means mobile game or something.

Shmunter

I think people are waiting Hellblade 2 to be God of War, in the same way other people expected The Medium to be the new Silent Hill. And I fear Hellblade 2, looking the career of the studio, I payed all their games, will be closer to what it has been The Medium that what people expects.

Said that, I wish it will be a great game. I don't want this game, or any game by the way, fails, but I fear it will do it. It's not the same.
I’m not sure, I find the studio to be highly competent in narrative driven sp experiences. Hellblade 1 was probably their most modest composition in that regard. It can only go up from there.

Hellblade punched above its weight as an "indie game"... if you just looked at it visually and knew nothing else about it... you'd think it wasn't an indie game.

Hellblade 2 will really make it look indie... is what I guess the developer is saying.

And I believe him.

oldergamer

Lol @ hellbalde being an "indie" game.

It cost $10 million, not the same as a game that cost $50,000 to make.
Where did you read it cost 10 million? even still it was made by less then 25 people which was a large achievement + independent publishing. I just don't see how it could cost 10 million unless its development was spread out across many years.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I still haven't played hell blade 1. Is it worth my time? If never enjoyed and of ninja theory"s games. The dmc game was okay but way too edgy for me. Heavenly sword was trash.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not got anything original to add just reiterating other points; first game was indie, combat/enemy variety was crap, puzzles were nonsense in my opinion. Sequel seriously needs refining and tightening up otherwise I won’t touch it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I still haven't played hell blade 1. Is it worth my time? If never enjoyed and of ninja theory"s games. The dmc game was okay but way too edgy for me. Heavenly sword was trash.
I’ve tried to play it about 6 times but give up every time. If you’re looking for third person story games that aren’t made by Sony I’d recommend A Plague Tale. It’s infinitely better than Hellblade IMO.

Lognor

Banned
I’ve tried to play it about 6 times but give up every time. If you’re looking for third person story games that aren’t made by Sony I’d recommend A Plague Tale. It’s infinitely better than Hellblade IMO.
I started playing a plague tale and thought it was okay, but I stopped half way through. Maybe I'll give that one another try after I finish the halo infinite campaign (I don't get a lot of gaming time). Might try hellblade later during a down time. Thx

Shmunter

I started playing a plague tale and thought it was okay, but I stopped half way through. Maybe I'll give that one another try after I finish the halo infinite campaign (I don't get a lot of gaming time). Might try hellblade later during a down time. Thx
It does run out of puff. The next gen 60fps upgrades do elevate it however..

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Where did you read it cost 10 million? even still it was made by less then 25 people which was a large achievement + independent publishing. I just don't see how it could cost 10 million unless its development was spread out across many years.

They talk a little bit about budgets here but i cant find the direct quote.

I found it, go to 1.28↓↓

Last edited:

ButchCat

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades: Hellblade 2 will make "indie game" look like an indie game. There you go all fixed.

tommib

On the same boat. I started it when it came to Playstation Plus and played 9 chapters thinking I was close to the end. Not at all! Like half-way through. It's too repetitive for so many chapters. It should've been half as long. Will never finish it I think.

b0uncyfr0

This is all I wanna know - does it still have those dumb-ass puzzles? Those annoyed me to hell and back, never got more than a few hours in.

GHG

If you are in the business of making money, that's terrible advice.

Remember when games needed to be well received in order to do well commercially instead of just lying and selling dreams in order to achieve huge pre order numbers?

I do.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I hope they do it, but I am sure it would require some pretty crazy contracts to manage progress to bring back Scalebound.

Remember when games needed to be well received in order to do well commercially instead of just lying and selling dreams in order to achieve huge pre order numbers?

I do.
Nope.

I remember having to pick games based off nothing besides the box art because no one reviewed games and there was no Internet.

He was always an idiot, since the heavenly sword days so not surprised by his lack of self awareness.

ok, douchebag mr co-founder.

What a pretentious muppet. I mean look at that photo. I swear he has had more hairstyles than I've had hot dinners.

Hellblade 2’ will make ‘Hellblade’ look like your prom date you ugly sack of shit.

Jealousy. Insecurity. Projection.
This is NeoGaf.

stranno

Hellblade was pretty much like The Medium. It tried to look like a big production, but it was polished like an indie game.

Last edited:
The first game looks really good for an indie and this one looks really good so far.

If it wasn't such a piece of shit I might have actually jumped back in to see the enhanced version and pick up the last Achievement I missed but it's not worth the time.

Well, in the first game u are literally in hell and as we all know, hell supposedly isnt a fun place to be.

Apparently in hell the combat and camera movement are sluggish, there's only a few enemy types and the AI is dirt stupid and the "puzzles" are designed for brainlets. Actually that does sound like hell. The combat in the game was so braindead that I thought I hit a glitch in the last fight after I lost count of how many enemies I'd killed. They literally couldn't kill me and I wasn't really even trying. Just a horde of retards running up to me and then waiting for their turn to get rekt for 20 minutes. Eventually I had to find a guide and found out I was just supposed to lose the fight.

giphy.gif

mortal

Gold Member
It didn't look like one though did it? That's what he's saying, try to keep up.
No it was literally an indie title, as in it was independently published by Ninja Theory lol
It would make more sense to say like a low budget indie game.

A game can technically have a high budget (AAA) and be indie, and a game can be also have a relatively lower budget and not be indie.

Banjo64

cumsessed
why you are in xbox threads is even more baffling.
We segregation GAF now. Everyone should submit to verification and be given a license to enter threads based on the hardware they own.

Personally I’m all for it.

Reading the opinions of other people who don’t own an Xbox is an unforgivable sin in the eyes of my lord and saviour, Lord Spencer.

Do you want this to be your future?

DecisivePlushKiwi-size_restricted.gif

I sure don’t. But that’s what’s going to happen if I keep reading the opinions of these heathens.

poodaddy

Dude looks kinda cringe to me. If you're older than me and you're wearing that much jewelry and chains, you better be Ozzy Osbourne or you're fucking outta here.

oldergamer

We segregation GAF now. Everyone should submit to verification and be given a license to enter threads based on the hardware they own.

Personally I’m all for it.

Reading the opinions of other people who don’t own an Xbox is an unforgivable sin in the eyes of my lord and saviour, Lord Spencer.

Do you want this to be your future?

DecisivePlushKiwi-size_restricted.gif

I sure don’t. But that’s what’s going to happen if I keep reading the opinions of these heathens.
No need to be so extreme, but bohazem tends to troll xbox threads and do exactly what everyone expects of him. His "but hellblade wasn't AAA" pretty much adds nothing to the conversation.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No need to be so extreme, but bohazem tends to troll xbox threads and do exactly what everyone expects of him. His "but hellblade wasn't AAA" pretty much adds nothing to the conversation.
To be fair though, I’m a green rat myself and I’ve always thought Hellblade being made on an AA budget was a point of pride for Ninja Theory.

Top Bottom