• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiv

Ah okay. But 32 GB is an unnecessarily great amount.

Indeed but if Nintendo were to set a lower limit, it'd be completely arbitrary and pointless. Like I said, the 32GB limit is due to technical reasons, Nintendo didn't actually set it themselves. If you support SDHC you may as well support all SDHC cards, right up to the maximum size. It's less confusing that way.

watershed

Banned
Looking at the 3ds pokedex I really hope these 3d models are used in a future 3ds pokemon game.

Aren't pokemon battles pretty simple visually? I imagine they could have 2 of these models on the screen at the same time with the same simple backgrounds and some preset animations for attacks and stuff. Would this be possible with the 3ds hardware?

Bumhead

Banned
Was thinking about the SD card situation myself yesterday, but what's the process for changing SD cards?

On my 3DS right now I obviously have some Eshop apps and games, game saves and my play time data etc. Will I lose any of this if I change SD cards? I imagine I'll have to re-download the apps and games, but will I lose any other stuff such as save files? If so, is there a way to avoid that?

PKrockin

Was thinking about the SD card situation myself yesterday, but what's the process for changing SD cards?

On my 3DS right now I obviously have some Eshop apps and games, game saves and my play time data etc. Will I lose any of this if I change SD cards? I imagine I'll have to re-download the apps and games, but will I lose any other stuff such as save files? If so, is there a way to avoid that?

Just copy everything from your current SD card to your computer, then paste it into the new SD card. Your play time data, eShop games and saves, and everything else will be transferred. You won't lose anything.

Retail game saves are stored on the game cart itself.

folks, you really need to read the instruction booklet when you buy a new system.
The changing-SD cards question is perfectly explained there.

does noone read the instructions anymore?

Cheska

Gabrielle's Ghostly Grove has dropped down to $19.99 at Gamestop. Have been debating with myself if I want to pick it up. I still have a few other 3DS games to play through, but the game seems pretty charming.

IrishNinja

I tried, but that thing was really, really long.

haha, true. ive got a 16 GB micro SD card lying around, i just need to order an SD converter from amazon sometime and get that thing loaded.

i'm gameflying Starfox 64 3D and it's actually pretty fun (never played it in the day), they're offering to let me keep it for just under $30 - any chance i can find a better deal elsewhere? i don't need it immediately anyway.

PKrockin

haha, true. ive got a 16 GB micro SD card lying around, i just need to order an SD converter from amazon sometime and get that thing loaded.

i'm gameflying Starfox 64 3D and it's actually pretty fun (never played it in the day), they're offering to let me keep it for just under $30 - any chance i can find a better deal elsewhere? i don't need it immediately anyway.

You can get it used from Amazon for just about $30 too.

Do what I did, send back Star Fox and get the superior game, Ace Combat.

Wolfe

It's good, and I used it for almost a week, but it made the 3DS unpocketable, so I ended up sending it back.

I doubt any 3DS case would be considered "pocketable" so I'm not sure why that would be a knock against it. My 3DS case is for when I'm tossing it in my bag/backpack, otherwise I just put it in my pocket naked.

Also my roomie has the Hori 3DS case, loves it. To me the quality seemed great as well, nice and soft on the inside and holds a few games.

Can anyone speak for the quality of the Hori 3DS Hard Pouch?

I had this case for my first 3DS, and it's exactly what it sounds like. It does a good job of protecting the 3DS and there's lots of space for extras. There's 3 game slots but it has a little pouch behind them that you can put 2-3 more games in. It's also got a slot for a spare stylus, if you consider that a feature. When sealed the 3DS does move about a little bit, but it's nothing to worry about. My girlfriend has this case now and she's a lot less considerate with electronics and it seems to doing alright by her!

I'm currently using the Hori soft pouch for my Ice White console, it's doing a pretty good job too!

JVIDICAN

Looking at the 3ds pokedex I really hope these 3d models are used in a future 3ds pokemon game.

Aren't pokemon battles pretty simple visually? I imagine they could have 2 of these models on the screen at the same time with the same simple backgrounds and some preset animations for attacks and stuff. Would this be possible with the 3ds hardware?

I'd honestly prefer higher resolution, awesomely animated sprites for battles, but yeah, there's a damn good chance the next game will be using the 3D models.

Kuramu

How are Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC) and Megaman: Wily's Revenge (GB)?

I just finished it. I was a big fan of the NES game.

Overall I recommend it and was impressed that this was a GBC game

Pros:
Though this is an entirely new game, the graphics are identical to the NES game.

This game is better than NES game in 1 (of 2) very important ways: the keys. In order to enter a boss overhead area door, you need 1 or 2 keys. They are found somewhere in one of the other overhead areas sprinkled about the level. Therefore, there's actually good reason to explore those doors.

The second improvement is that you can turn off the wall1 and wall2 abilities... players of the original will remember why that's a good thing

Cons:
The soundtrack has the same (famously mostly awesome) 8 songs, but due to the number of channels, they are noticeably lacking. You may find yourself pining to hear the originals in all their glory

The physics is clearly a step down. No parabolic motion of projectiles; everything except for your vehicle moves in diagonal paths. Not a big deal really. However, the slip-slidynes on level 6 is more frustrating because of it.

edit: new con: Some of the areas, 7 in particular, can be very confusing. I still don't understand the logic of where you end up when going into caves (there does seem to be a pattern, but i ended up relying on luck)

I doubt any 3DS case would be considered "pocketable" so I'm not sure why that would be a knock against it. My 3DS case is for when I'm tossing it in my bag/backpack, otherwise I just put it in my pocket naked.

Also my roomie has the Hori 3DS case, loves it. To me the quality seemed great as well, nice and soft on the inside and holds a few games.

Word, and I don't even find that the 3DS is pocketable in my situation anyway considering I hate having anything in my pockets other than a wallet. I generally have a bag with me at all times anyway, so this case sounds extremely useful. Maybe now I'll actually get some Street Passes...

Salvadora

I can't wait to see what the next Pokemon game is, B/W was a great move. I kind of hope they skip the R/S remake. Worst generation by far, And the GBA games are perfectly playable.

Wolfe

Word, and I don't even find that the 3DS is pocketable in my situation anyway considering I hate having anything in my pockets other than a wallet. I generally have a bag with me at all times anyway, so this case sounds extremely useful. Maybe now I'll actually get some Street Passes...

Someone actually took a bunch of pretty nice comparison pics of the Hori soft and hard 3DS cases if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6LQ7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tunavi

Banned
Can we show off our game libraries/wish lists? nvm no one wants to do it

Library:
Mario Kart 7
Pushmo
Super Mario 3D Land
Kirby's Adventure 3D
Metroid II
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins

Wish List:
Link's Awakening
Mutant Mudds
Ocarina of Time
Donkey Kong

GeekyDad

Gamefly just sent me Doctor Lautrec. Can't say I was ga-ga to play it, but I am curious. I enjoyed the Touch Detective games on DS, and I'm interested to see what Konami does with this. Anyone tried it yet?

Gamefly just sent me Doctor Lautrec. Can't say I was ga-ga to play it, but I am curious. I enjoyed the Touch Detective games on DS, and I'm interested to see what Konami does with this. Anyone tried it yet?
Yeah, I have (I'm currently just starting on the set of sidequests before heading off to be what seems to be the final actual area of the game). Here's a summary I wrote about it a few pages back:

Well, I was going to post some of my recommendations of hidden gems in this thread, but that got locked as I was typing my reply, so I suppose I'll just copy/paste the bulk of what was going to be my reply over here instead since it's already all typed up, which was basically an explanation/recommendation for the game Doctor Lautrec & the Forgotten Knights:

-Doctor Lautrec & the Forgotten Knights: Interesting puzzle/adventure game by Konami. It's easy to mistake for just a rip-off of Professor Layton, but it plays completely differently. Basically, you start off with some riddle leading you to a place in Paris where there's an underground labyrinth. Once you figure out where the riddle is pointing to, you go to that location and find the entrance to the labyrinth in that area, marked by a fleur-de-lis insignia. Once down there, you pretty much alternate between sections where you have to stealthfully avoid guards' attention, sometimes requiring you to move blocks around, to reach the next room, and rooms where you have to solve puzzles (like finding the differences between two otherwise identical pictures, and stuff like that).

At the end of each labyrinth will be a long hallway followed by a room with a "Treasure Animatus", or Living Treasure. In these rooms, you basically fight treasure possessed by spirits with your own treasure that you've collected so far and whittle down its health until its critically low, allowing you to tame it and claim it for your own. It seems a bit daunting at first, but it basically uses a very simple elemental system that it constantly reminds you of (via a simple chart) when you tap one of your treasure's icons. Basically, think Pokemon, only with living treasures instead of animals.

Intermixed with that are cut-scenes that tell a fairly interesting story (I'm only on like Chapter 3 myself right now because I've been doing plenty of sidequests to up my treasure count, which play pretty much the same way as the main quests and are there mainly so that you can get more (and more powerful) treasure if you're not ready to tackle on the next main area, but a number of them also contain cut-scenes with some character development and such, like one I just did which has a scene which tells how the two main characters, Doctor Lautrec and his assistant Sophie, met) and plenty of French history as well (you travel via walking across streets on an overworld map of Paris. When doing this, the touch screen shows the name of the place you're currently at, & if you tap on that, it will give you a brief explanation of the place's history, which is good if you're curious about that type of thing and can be helpful for figuring out some of the riddles on where-to go next).

The basic gameplay does get repetitive after a bit (I believe I'm at around 9 hours of playtime now, because of all the sidequests I've done so far), but the story and characters have been surprisngly good/interesting enough to keep me. Definitely an interesting hidden them that I haven't heard people talk about much.
The things I really like about it above all else are things like the characters themselves (like Lautrec, his assistant Sophie, rival Professor Gustav, adventurer Claude, and the runner of the adventurer's den Le Repaire, Milady). Also, the 3D is really strong in this game, which I love, such as when you're walking on the overworld Paris map.

Also, though the gameplay is the same throughout, they did pack a lot in there, at least if you bother to do all of the sidequests. Like I said, I'm just starting the last batch of them, and I'm already over 20 hours of playtime, so it does have plenty of stuff to keep you busy with.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I have (I'm currently just starting on the set of sidequests before heading off to be what seems to be the final actual area of the game). Here's a summary I wrote about it a few pages back:

The things I really like about it above all else are things like the characters themselves (like Lautrec, his assistant Sophie, rival Professor Gustav, adventurer Claude, and the runner of the adventurer's den Le Repaire, Milady). Also, the 3D is really strong in this game, which I love, such as when you're walking on the overworld Paris map.

Also, though the gameplay is the same throughout, they did pack a lot in there, at least if you bother to do all of the sidequests. Like I said, I'm just starting the last batch of them, and I'm already over 20 hours of playtime, so it does have plenty of stuff to keep you busy with.

Ah, cool. Thanks. I'll look forward to jumping into it. I really haven't touched my 3DS much since 1-starring all the cups in MK7.

Ah, cool. Thanks. I'll look forward to jumping into it. I really haven't touched my 3DS much since 1-starring all the cups in MK7.
Well, hope you like it. Oh, and a helpful tip about this game that might not be immediately obvious--you can indeed save anytime you want when you're exploring a labyrinth. When you start the game again, you'll just be back at the beginning of whatever room you saved in. So, in other words, if you end up wanting/needing to take a break right in the middle of an area, that's completely fine.

sfried

A note to people upgrading/getting new SD cards: Make sure it's Class 10. Anything lower and stuff like SwapNote will be a pain just to check messages (slower loading).
Any shooters coming to 3DS?
G-Rev is making one. I forgot what it's called... Edit: It's called Kokuga:
topimage.jpg

KOK_0001.jpg
KOK_0002.jpg
KOK_0003.jpg
KOK_0004.jpg

That mustache makes him look real distinguished.

My Wish List:
Dark Void Zero
Dragon Quest Wars
Aura-Aura Climber
Spotto!
X-Scape
Mighty Flip Champs
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Digidrive
Starship Defense
Metal Torrent
Metroid II
VVVVVV
3D Classics: TwinBee

Just bought BoxLife and DK '94.

GeekyDad

That mustache makes him look real distinguished.

My Wish List:
Dark Void Zero -regret getting
Dragon Quest Wars -also want
Aura-Aura Climber -excellent purchase
Spotto! -also great
X-Scape -on the fence
Mighty Flip Champs -never played, probably never will
Shantae: Risky's Revenge -one of my favorite DSiWare purchases to date
Digidrive -meh
Starship Defense -my favorite DSiWare purchase to date
Metal Torrent -it's a shooter, right?
Metroid II -meh
VVVVVV -it's free elsewhere
3D Classics: TwinBee -meh

Just bought BoxLife and DK '94.

Spike's starting to look a little like the gecko from the Geico commercials.

hoqhuuep

Can we post imaginary wish lists too?

Super Mario 3D World
Etrian Odyssey 4
Castlevania 1999 edition
Final Fantasy 5r
Final Fantasy Tactics A3D
Pokemon Gray
Phoenix Wright trilogy
Metroid Dread
Zelda: LTTP (3D classic)
Megaman Legends 3 :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
A note to people upgrading/getting new SD cards: Make sure it's Class 10. Anything lower and stuff like SwapNote will be a pain just to check messages (slower loading).

G-Rev is making one. I forgot what it's called... Edit: It's called Kokuga:
topimage.jpg

KOK_0001.jpg
KOK_0002.jpg
KOK_0003.jpg
KOK_0004.jpg

I want this.

IrishNinja

damn, one minute im trying that nintendo spot or whatever (never works for me) and have more than half my battery left, go back to root menu & close it up - open it later, and i'm practically on empty. brightness/3D are up, but why am i draining so much in sleep mode?

mauaus

Just traded in my Old 60gb PS3 (won a new slim a few months ago) for a 3DS with Mario Land 3D.
Whats the best RPGs i can get on this thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom