• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is this coming out????!!! I do not want to play the Wii version!

Given the quality of Ubisoft's 3DS ports so far, I HIGHLY doubt that the 3DS version of Rayman will be anywhere near as good as the Wii version (which was the lead platform, BTW)

maeda

Given the quality of Ubisoft's 3DS ports so far, I HIGHLY doubt that the 3DS version of Rayman will be anywhere near as good as the Wii version (which was the lead platform, BTW)
I would hope this would be different. I am feeling done with the Wii, it is such a chore to just boot it up.

NM0dz

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend Mighty Switch Force? I'm tossing up between Pushmo and that. the Au shop has them for $9 each, which i feel is a bit expensive...

Boney

Banned
Can anyone recommend Mighty Switch Force? I'm tossing up between Pushmo and that. the Au shop has them for $9 each, which i feel is a bit expensive...
I'll recommend Pushmo because it's super swell and Intelligent Systems makes amazing games.

Haven't played MSF but Wayforward does mediocre games so meh.

Just some personal notes:

SSF4 to me is not playable on the 3DS. You need all six buttons and the d-pad to control it properly, but because the d-pad is down the bottom you can't actually do this. Would try before you buy.

As a huge JRPG fan I would also stay away from Tales of the Abyss. It is probably my least favourite jrpg of all time, and I've played pretty much all of them.

I agree with all the rest.

NM0dz

Neo Member
I'll recommend Pushmo because it's super swell and Intelligent Systems makes amazing games.

Haven't played MSF but Wayforward does mediocre games so meh.

haha, amongst the people on GAF on my 3DS friends list, the two games have exactly equal footing in people's "favourites"

but now i'll certainly think harder... (puzzle game... not sure if want)

@MUWANdo

Banned

First off, you should switch the region of your 3DS to the UK or a Euro country - better selection of games on the store, cheaper prices, favourable currency conversion rate.

Pushmo is gonna last you a long, long time - hundreds of puzzles, plus all the custom puzzles you can scan. If you've ever been hooked on Picross you'll know what's in store for you with Pushmo.

MSF is very polished and fun while it lasts, but there's not a whole lot to it - it'll take a couple hours to beat, a couple more to get all the par times, and then you're done. I don't regret buying it at all, and if they make a sequel I'll be all over it, but a lot of people were disappointed by the short length, so keep that in mind.

Boney

Banned
haha, amongst the people on GAF on my 3DS friends list, the two games have exactly equal footing in people's "favourites"

but now i'll certainly think harder... (puzzle game... not sure if want)

oh you want

pushmo is goty

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know about registering your games for a free download of the 3D Classics Kid Icarus and/or entering a draw for a free Mario/Peach/Toad skinned 3DS, yes?

Also, download Swap Note and participate in the Swap Note thread nao!

Have a look at the Pushmo/Pullblox thread and see if this fine eShop title is your cup of tea. Hint: it is excellent.

This I do not know. What do I have to do to register my games to get the OG version of Kid Icarus?

@MUWANdo

Banned
This I do not know. What do I have to do to register my games to get the OG version of Kid Icarus?

First off, you gotta be in Europe - it's not available in NA.

Secondly, you need any two Club Nintendo codes from the following games:

Resident Evil: Revelations
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Pokemon Rumble
Resident Evil: Mercenaries
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Steel Diver
Pilotwings Resort
Super Street Fighter IV
Nintendogs+Cats

Thirdly, you need to register 'em here - eventually you'll get a free redemption code for 3D Classics Kid Icarus. Registration closes at the end of January.

NM0dz

Neo Member

Thirdly, you need to register 'em here - eventually you'll get a free redemption code for 3D Classics Kid Icarus. Registration closes at the end of January.

Think that'll work from Australia? (one way find out i guess)

and does anyone know why the game is called pushmo in the US but pullblox in the Eu/Au? pushmo sounds way better...

Luigiv

Is there any evidence for this? Seems kind of unlikely given that the Wii version wasn't announced until well after the PS3 and 360 versions. Hell the dev team even laughed at people asking about the possibility of a Wii version when the game was first unveiled, claiming the game to be made for HD and what not.

Vanillalite

Beowned then as I'm in NA.

This reminded me I finally had downtime though (Dec has been a busy month!), and I got online to my club Nintendo account to register all of my stuff!

hatchx

Banned

SSF4 to me is not playable on the 3DS. You need all six buttons and the d-pad to control it properly, but because the d-pad is down the bottom you can't actually do this. Would try before you buy.

As a huge JRPG fan I would also stay away from Tales of the Abyss. It is probably my least favourite jrpg of all time, and I've played pretty much all of them.

Woah. That's like, tens of thousands of hours right there.

Also I picked up Pushmo today and it's amazing.

Any word of VVVVVV? I have a nice chunk of 3DS points left.

Vanillalite

No way you've played all of them if ToA is your least favorite. There are waaaaayyyy crappier JRPGs than this. It's also worth noting that all of the technical missgivings on the PS2 version that really hindered the game such as the crappy fps and the redonkulous loads aren't an issue here either. Beyond that though there are a ton of crappier JRPGs even if ToA isn't top tier.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Any word of VVVVVV? I have a nice chunk of 3DS points left.

If you are not a PC gamer/not planing to play it on PC, get it.
If you have played it, and a portable version sounds cool, get it. Or wait till some end-game content gets updated to work properly.
Everyone should enjoy VVVVVV.

Lijik

Frogger 3D is the best retail arcade style game on the console. Sucks that most of gaf ignored it.
I wish Pacman Galaga Dimensions included the DX versions in additon to CE and legions, the 3D galaga rail shooter allowed you to save, and pacman tilt didnt introduce some bullshit level design halfway thorugh. Woulda been a contender otherwise.

Rabbids 3D is also a fun if fairly simplistic 3D platformer with a decent amount of content. The current 30 bucks I see a lot of retail stores ask for it is pretty reasonable.

Is there any evidence for this? Seems kind of unlikely given that the Wii version wasn't announced until well after the PS3 and 360 versions. Hell the dev team even laughed at people asking about the possibility of a Wii version when the game was first unveiled, claiming the game to be made for HD and what not.

The Wii version appears to be using mostly identical assets as the PS3/360 versions (play it in Dolphin and see for yourself) and runs at a perfect framerate. There's no way they would be able to pull that off if the Wii wasn't the lead platform.

Takao

Banned
The Wii version appears to be using mostly identical assets as the PS3/360 versions (play it in Dolphin and see for yourself) and runs at a perfect framerate. There's no way they would be able to pull that off if the Wii wasn't the lead platform.

That might have more to do with Montpelier's UbiArt framework for the assets, no?

No way you've played all of them if ToA is your least favorite. There are waaaaayyyy crappier JRPGs than this. It's also worth noting that all of the technical missgivings on the PS2 version that really hindered the game such as the crappy fps and the redonkulous loads aren't an issue here either. Beyond that though there are a ton of crappier JRPGs even if ToA isn't top tier.

Yes there are tonnes of crappier jrpgs but that is my point. ToA was "just" good enough to keep me playing all the way until the end. It kept promising that 'something' would happen, or the characters would develop or...well anything good.

But it doesn't, and that is why it is my least favourite jrpg. Only one I ever finished and felt bad about the time I spent playing it.

PKrockin

As someone who's not a huge fan of most JRPGs, Tales of the Abyss is one of my favorite games in the genre, mostly due to its incredibly fun, engaging, and satisfying battle system. It's really what I keep coming back to the series for. Overall the story is pretty decent, not stellar, but I don't see how you can really call it worse than an average game.

I'm itching to play through it a second time without the horrid PS2 load times.

Rokam

Any talk of when Paper Mario or Animal Crossing is coming out? Niece loves everything Mario and has already beat Paper Mario on the Wii, and thought I'd introduce her to the Animal Crossing games.

The 3ds games library is still really really weak. The only game id like to play of that list is mario 3d land.

The rest are either shoddy or console ports.

The future line up though looks pretty good.

Ill give it another year, hopefully by then a revision is released.

Luigiv

That's not evidence, just speculation. The games graphics are very simplistic (from a technical standpoint), there no reason for the game not to run perfectly on the Wii. Like I said, development on the Wii version began much later than the PS360 version. There's not a chance in hell it was the lead platform.

stalker

I bought Ridge Racer 3D for 12€ after having a look at this thread. Never played one of these before, I hope its good.

Sayah

Who is planning to buy Tekken 3DS?
TEKKEN_3D.jpg

I won't be able to get it for awhile. :(

I think I might pick up Tekken 3D. I'm starting to like playing fighters on the handheld instead of the console because there are less buttons you have to push. I'm not good at remembering those button presses for combos so if they are simpler it's fine for me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mutant Mudds deserves a mentioning in the upcoming titles.

I'm so confused by this post. How is that solid evidence? Just because a game runs in a good frame rate means it's the lead platform?

I'm so confused by this post. How is that solid evidence? Just because a game runs in a good frame rate means it's the lead platform?

Umm, yes? You wouldn't expect a port of a game to look and run identical to the original version if the system that it was originally developed for is 5 times as powerful as the system it was ported to.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, Hoshi wo Miru Hito is probably the worst JRPG of all time. Beyond the Beyond and Paladin's Quest are boring.

Abyss is rendered amazing by comparison. On its own, it's a very good game, but it does not have my favourite Tales battle system (though FOF and the Capacity Core usage were pretty interesting, but the unfortunate thing is that it encouraged too much free running, and the character interactions towards Luke and each other are somewhat sub-par). I still think people should get it because it features a good intro to 3D FR-LMBS (linear motion battle system on a 3D plane; in this game it's called "Flex-Ranged-Linear Motion Battle System" due to the increased movement after the 2D plane ones like Symphonia and Rebirth), it's packed with sidequests, the towns look very nice, and the game is rather lengthy. You'll get bang for your buck based on the length and meaningful gameplay.

Effect

Really looking forward to more jrpgs being released on the 3DS. Going to be taking a pass on Tales of the Abyss in the end. Done with remakes so that also means I'm passing on Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. However with MGS there are additional reasons as well.

I've been thinking about Tekken but I've never been into fighting games outside the Smash Bros series. That was mainly because it was so easy to get into and had Nintendo characters but I'm not crazy about that either. I only play it from time to time and haven't touched it in a long time as well. I think I played the Subspace Adventure in Brawl more too then the regular vs modes. I don't want to take the time to "learn" a fighting game.

Really looking forward to more jrpgs being released on the 3DS. Going to be taking a pass on Tales of the Abyss in the end. Done with remakes so that also means I'm passing on Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater. However with MGS there are additional reasons as well.

I've been thinking about Tekken but I've never been into fighting games outside the Smash Bros series. That was mainly because it was so easy to get into and had Nintendo characters but I'm not crazy about that either. I only play it from time to time and haven't touched it in a long time as well. I think I played the Subspace Adventure in Brawl more too then the regular vs modes. I don't want to take the time to "learn" a fighting game.

The thing about fighting games on the 3DS is that there are less buttons so the moves are easier to pull off :)

Medalion

Banned
Apparently those who didn't enjoy MArio 3D land enjoyed a game like Ghost Recon on the 3DS, so that's something to mention, and it was a launch title that got lost in the mix
It's a turn based strategy game

Hmm... Perhaps check out Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion then. It's not really close to the quality of the Smash Bros games or anything, but it plays pretty similarly, so it might be worth a look if that's the type of game you're interested in.

Shiggy

Umm, yes? You wouldn't expect a port of a game to look and run identical to the original version if the system that it was originally developed for is 5 times as powerful as the system it was ported to.

So you want to make us believe that they changed the lead platform after E3 2010?

The Boat

Didn't know about this... still, the graphics are so purty, when I get the game I'll probably go for the HD version.
EDIT: Oh OK, read the rest of the thread :p

The thing about fighting games on the 3DS is that there are less buttons so the moves are easier to pull off :)

I can only speak for SSF4, because I haven't played DoA:A. It actually has the same button layout as the PS360 versions. lp, mp, hp (y,x,R) and lk, mk, hk (b,a,L). It's possible to make shortcuts for the supers and for ultras on the touchpad though (you can do that for any combo, but it's possible to avoid those players through matchmaking filters).

branny

Who is planning to buy Tekken 3DS?
I still have no clue what Namco is doing with this game. Is it Tekken Tag 2 minus the tagging? I loved how T5DR and T6 turned out on the PSP, but I don't think the 3DS's clicky buttons would contribute well to playing the game on my lap piano-style.

Still probably getting it Day 1.

I can only speak for SSF4, because I haven't played DoA:A. It actually has the same button layout as the PS360 versions. lp, mp, hp (y,x,R) and lk, mk, hk (b,a,L). It's possible to make shortcuts for the supers and for ultras on the touchpad though (you can do that for any combo, but it's possible to avoid those players through matchmaking filters).
Whatever fighting game it is, you're going to have to sacrifice whatever you put on L because it's so annoying to get to when using the d-pad. Also, hand pain. As much as I love my 3DS, it literally hurts to play after a while with certain games. =\

Kai

I love my 3DS and my games - but god damnit I want my Iggy Castlevania game announced already. Symphony of the night/metroidvania game with awesome 3D please!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Crush3D
Genre: Puzzle
Publisher: SEGA
Release: NA - 01.10.2012, EU - 01.13.2012, JP - 02.23.2012

Has this been pushed back? It's not showing up with any release date on Amazon any more :/

Shinrei Camera: Tsuiteru Techou
Genre: Action
Publisher: Nintendo (via Tecmo Koei)
Release: JP - 01.12.2012

Excited for this - got my pre-order in with Amazon.jp - 3180 yen - you can't go wrong at that price!

Lijik

Hmm... Perhaps check out Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion then. It's not really close to the quality of the Smash Bros games or anything, but it plays pretty similarly, so it might be worth a look if that's the type of game you're interested in.

I was interested in this (Unlockable Captain Planet!) but it got terrible reviews from pretty much every outlet.

Vanillalite

Next thing I need announced is a good Metroid or Castlevania game, and then I'd probably be perfectly content!

I still have no clue what Namco is doing with this game. Is it Tekken Tag 2 minus the tagging? I loved how T5DR and T6 turned out on the PSP, but I don't think the 3DS's clicky buttons would contribute well to playing the game on my lap piano-style.

Still probably getting it Day 1.

Whatever fighting game it is, you're going to have to sacrifice whatever you put on L because it's so annoying to get to when using the d-pad. Also, hand pain. As much as I love my 3DS, it literally hurts to play after a while with certain games. =\

I sure see where you're coming from, but personally I don't have a problem with it, because the 3DS is so small. Also the slide pad works quite well for me with some moves. I'm switching back and forth between dpad and slide pad when playing SSF4. Works better for me than dualshock and of course 360 pad. Arcade stick beats it though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is a little OT, but I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS sometime this week, are there any specials going on in the US, like gift cards or whatever? I'm not finding much. I hope to find a Super Mario Land bundle, the red 3DS is hot. Or maybe I'll get the pink one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom