• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effect said:
Not all games need online if there is enough content to keep you busy and playing again and again.

No... but racing games certainly should have online...
The absence of it in RR or Asphalt is just pathetic.

Kevtones

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Eurogamer gave Samurai Warriors a 5, all I saw of reviews for that one besides a Famitsu on way earlier that was positive but not sure if it was real.

Ghost Recon got some positive impressions.

Hmmm. I recently discovered I kinda love Musou games so it's kind of intriguing.

I've narrowed down to Steel Diver/Pilotwings/Samurai Warriors/Ghost Recon for this Sunday @ TRU

I Push Fat Kids said:
Hmmm. I recently discovered I kinda love Musou games so it's kind of intriguing.

I've narrowed down to Steel Diver/Pilotwings/Samurai Warriors/Ghost Recon for this Sunday @ TRU

PW+GR

Really the only choice out of those games.

I Push Fat Kids said:

Anything but Pilotwings unless you LOVE that series so much.

I went 3DS hunting today and couldn't find one, I guess I'll just have to wait.

I did get my copy of Sims 3 in the mail today. I do not like those "eco friendly" cases with the holes cut out of the plastic, it makes it look and feel so cheap.

MooMoo

DoomXploder7 said:
I wish they'd up kid icarus and Legend of zelda already though, they can have super mario 3ds in their database but not these games with more info revealed and in one case a launch window/date? :|
Yeah, I know what you mean. At least E3 isn't too far from now; a little over two months. Hopefully this holiday season is packed with games.

FleaTheMagician said:
I went 3DS hunting today and couldn't find one, I guess I'll just have to wait.

I did get my copy of Sims 3 in the mail today. I do not like those "eco friendly" cases with the holes cut out of the plastic, it makes it look and feel so cheap.

No way you'll find a store breaking the 3DS street date.

kunonabi

preordered Steel Diver to pick up at gamestop on monday morning.

Everything else I'll hunt for.

Current plan:

Steel Diver - 25$ gift card to gamestop
Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 30 gift card to walmart
SSFIV3DE and Pilotwings Resort - Toys R Us 50% off deal

Although reviews are starting to make Ridge Racer look really good.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
This game isn't even out and it's underrated.

For real.

The gameplay looks really original, a slow and strategic sidescroller. IGN says a "simulation" and an "action puzzler." Sounds unique.

Interesting simulation controls and use of dual screen/touchscreen (something we didn't see too much of on DS). Different subs to choose from with, not only different stats, but also differing interfaces.

Original IP from Nintendo. "Looking into an aquarium" usage of 3D; should look good with backgrounds like erupting volcanoes. Time trials. Weird periscope minigame included. Multiplayer strategy game included.

IGN called it "addictive" and was very positive in the words of their review (ignore the score). It's really getting knocked for length. But it's a launch title. Launch titles are either ports or shorts. Most importantly, Steel Diver looks like a wholly unique play experience, and that sounds worth replaying.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, seems common that software is out before hardware is released but not hardware itself.

A few people on here at stated, and shown pictures of their early hardware. But yes, 3rd party software was street dated for today, whereas any console being sold is breaking date.

There's likely one shop in Toronto that will break street date, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a markup for it.

Freezie KO said:
For real.

The gameplay looks really original, a slow and strategic sidescroller. IGN says a "simulation" and an "action puzzler." Sounds unique.

Interesting simulation controls and use of dual screen/touchscreen (something we didn't see too much of on DS). Different subs to choose from with, not only different stats, but also differing interfaces.

Original IP from Nintendo. "Looking into an aquarium" usage of 3D; should look good with backgrounds like erupting volcanoes. Time trials. Weird periscope minigame included. Multiplayer strategy game included.

IGN called it "addictive" and was very positive in the words of their review (ignore the score). It's really getting knocked for length. But it's a launch title. Launch titles are either ports or shorts. Most importantly, Steel Diver looks like a wholly unique play experience, and that sounds worth replaying.

I just hope it sells well enough for it to be a series.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
EvilMario said:
I never understood why anyone would willingly buy a console Sims over the PC/Mac version. In fact, with the limited content provided on disc now (wanting you to buy more from the EA store/expansions), I don't know why people would buy the games at all.

Because the girlfriend is interested in it, and I'm slowly trying to get her to like video games. Kinect games and Wii Sport Resort are really all that she plays now, but she seems to be really interested in expanding into more casual-friendly hardcore games. Just today she was playing Donkey Kong Country Returns at Gamestop, and she played for a good five-ten minutes before she got a bit frustrated at the difficulty and put the control down. And she also downloaded a demo of the cellphone Sims 3 and loved what she played, but decided against downloading the full version.

So a game like the Sims controlled by the touch screen could potentially be perfect for her. And the 3DS just might be the perfect system for that, because she is super interested in the system ever since I kinda slyly told her all the cool features it has. So I think some Nintendogs + Cats and Sims 3 could be a good step for her. I just don't want to push an unplayable, crappy version of a Sims game on her. But if it does stay at a semi-constant framrate, play similar to the PC version, and have all the key features then I really will consider buying it for her. Besides, I can't imagine it being worse then the cellphone version.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rant about my girlfriend lol. I'm just excited about the 3DS and this side-development it could potentially have. :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
-Pyromaniac- said:
this is seriously the longest week I've experienced in a long time.

Word. I mean damn, ever since I got my pre-order, time has gone by sooooo slooooooooow.

:(

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I just hope it sells well enough for it to be a series.

I see it barely meeting expectations, but developing a cult following that will beg for a sequel long enough for Nintendo to listen. Then we'll get Steel Bots, and it'll bomb terribly.

Freezie KO said:
I see it barely meeting expectations, but developing a cult following that will beg for a sequel long enough for Nintendo to listen. Then we'll get Steel Bots, and it'll bomb terribly.

*****TORPEDO SANDWICH!*****

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
By out of town, do you mean, IN Toronto?
Haha, yes actually. I pre-ordered in Waterloo though and I put 100% down (Edge credit). Actually more than 100% as it was $300 when I pre-ordered. Don't wanna risk withdrawing that.

It's not like I'm gonna get any 3DS games anyway >.> I just want my shiny toy.

snesfreak

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
I wish they'd up kid icarus and Legend of zelda already though, they can have super mario 3ds in their database but not these games with more info revealed and in one case a launch window/date? :|
Seriously, come on Amazon, I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY.

I'm preordering the Black 3DS & Street Fighter at a GameStop tomorrow that is doing a Midnight launch. (I preordered a blue one and 5 games at the one near my house, but I don't want the Blue one and wanted a Midnight launch so now yay) Then later on I'm gonna pick up Steel Diver, Ridge Racer, Nintendogs, and Monkey Ball from Toys R Us for the sale. :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well I'm off to bed, but all I gotta say about the current conversation is you guys better fricken buy Steel Diver. Why?

A. New IP from Nintendo EAD.
B. Innovative motion controls.
C. Plays like no other game before it.
D. It's a fricken submarine game!

Support it.

Amir0x

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Well I'm off to bed, but all I gotta say about the current conversation is you guys better fricken buy Steel Diver. Why?

Support it.

i would but first you gotta make it so the game isn't three minutes long and cost $40

after that, sure.*

*Sorry, gaming isn't a charity. They need to provide gaming experiences that are value competitive with other $40 games.

AniHawk

Skiesofwonder said:

Support it.

pfft. even their new ip is 7 years old.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Firestorm said:
older than most of their fanbase goddamn

Oh snap.

Also, at around $10.00 per hour play time with Steel Diver.. I just can't bring myself to buy it right now. And it was definitely the title I was looking forward to the most.

Gravijah

Skiesofwonder said:

Support it.

If you buy it for me, I promise I'll play it.

Amir0x said:
*Sorry, gaming isn't a charity. They need to provide gaming experiences that are value competitive with other $40 games.
They are, from what I understand it's very competitive with Pilotwings, another $40 game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
i would but first you gotta make it so the game isn't three minutes long and cost $40

after that, sure.

I was going to skip Steel Diver, but with the Toys R Us sale, I'm pondering it... although I'm still not sure if it's a $30 title.

I'd probably grab it at $20, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
They are, from what I understand it's very competitive with Pilotwings, another $40 game.

hahaha, iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

DavidDayton said:
I was going to skip Steel Diver, but with the Toys R Us sale, I'm pondering it... although I'm still not sure if it's a $30 title.

I'd probably grab it at $20, though.

Yeah I mean if you can take advantage of something like that, half off and get it for $20 or something, it'd probably be worth it. I'm still like moderately interested in trying it out. Just not for $40, no way for a 3 hour product with low replay value.

AniHawk

have we still heard essentially nothing on monkey ball? i know the last one wasn't very good, but it's weird that we're getting more impressions on rayman 3d at this point.

Amir0x said:

after that, sure.*

I keep hearing its short recently. What's the original source for this? I seem to have missed it.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
have we still heard essentially nothing on monkey ball? i know the last one wasn't very good, but it's weird that we're getting more impressions on rayman 3d at this point.

We've heard impressions from GAFers and some reviews. It seems like what people expect. It's not a TERRIBLE game, but it's a low tier Monkey Ball game with significantly easier and poorer level design all throughout (representing a move away from the hardcore nature of earlier iterations, as with Blitz) and terrible mini-games.

Marty Chinn said:
I keep hearing its short recently. What's the original source for this? I seem to have missed it.

The source is basically all hands on impressions I've read from the final version so far. They all claim the game is 3 hours at best, maybe slightly longer if you gun to try to improve your runs a bit. They claim the incentive to do that is relatively low, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom