• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingDizzi said:
Can't really see where else to ask this so here I go. Basically can't wait and am thinking of picking up the 3DS seeing as though it's only £115 in the UK, my question is a hardware one. Are there still issues with the screen getting scratched by the pad? At least I think it's the screen, something was getting scratched by the circle pad so is that still happening? If so I might as well wait until we get a revision.

Cheers
I haven't bought one yet, but from what I gathered:

1. Nintendo fixes this if your screen actually gets scratched
2. New patches of the hardware are fixed
3. it doesn't really happen that much
4. you may get a hori screen protector which really doesn't change image quality much

if that is the only reason you are not getting one, if I were you, I wouldn't bother waiting at least another year for a revision. (I haven't bought one yet, since I am moving for grad school and don't know yet whether to buy a PAL or UC)

Bentendo

KingDizzi said:
Can't really see where else to ask this so here I go. Basically can't wait and am thinking of picking up the 3DS seeing as though it's only £115 in the UK, my question is a hardware one. Are there still issues with the screen getting scratched by the pad? At least I think it's the screen, something was getting scratched by the circle pad so is that still happening? If so I might as well wait until we get a revision.

Cheers

From what I've seen it doesn't really get scratched, but rather just leaves a mark every now and then. If it does get scratched just contact Nintendo about it.

dyergram

KingDizzi said:

Cheers

Just keep the plastic stuff that comes inside the screens between them it wont mark them then.

KingDizzi

Banned
Cheers for the info guys, going to bide my time and just wait until a revision comes out. Not just because of the issues with the pad scratching the screen but rather the 3DS is a ugly machine and no doubt the revision will look a lot better if the DS is anything to go by. Learnt that lesson the hard way when that sexy DS Lite came out and was stuck with my fatty DS. :(

maeda

KingDizzi said:
Cheers for the info guys, going to bide my time and just wait until a revision comes out. Not just because of the issues with the pad scratching the screen but rather the 3DS is a ugly machine and no doubt the revision will look a lot better if the DS is anything to go by. Learnt that lesson the hard way when that sexy DS Lite came out and was stuck with my fatty DS. :(
Why not just buy a machine now and then trade it in when the revision comes out?

Wolfe

KingDizzi said:

Not trying to sound like an ass but I really don't get why some people feel this way to be honest. Sure it's no DSi in terms of polish but it's far from ugly and comparing it to the DS phat and then saying the DS lite is "sexy" in comparison just boggles my mind.

This is coming from someone that waited until the DS Lite to buy a DS. To be honest I don't see the next 3DS looking signifigantly different just in the way that DS Lite/i/XL were all very similar revisions that all deviated in the same way design wise from the phat.

Then again we're discussing opinions :p

Wolfe said:
Not trying to sound like an ass but I really don't get why some people feel this way to be honest. Sure it's no DSi in terms of polish but it's far from ugly and comparing it to the DS phat and then saying the DS lite is "sexy" in comparison just boggles my mind.

This is coming from someone that waited until the DS Lite to buy a DS. To be honest I don't see the next 3DS looking signifigantly different just in the way that DS Lite/i/XL were all very similar revisions that all deviated in the same way design wise from the phat.

Then again we're discussing opinions :p

I think the 3DS resembles the DS Lite the most, in my opinion, which was my favorite revision of the DS :p It's definitely not ugly, but it does look more like a "toy" then an iPod or Vita, for example. But I still have no problem with that, since that just seems to be what Nintendo normally does.

GeekyDad

Piercedveil said:
I think the 3DS resembles the DS Lite the most, in my opinion, which was my favorite revision of the DS :p It's definitely not ugly, but it does look more like a "toy" then an iPod or Vita, for example. But I still have no problem with that, since that just seems to be what Nintendo normally does.

Meh...all I know is my PSP hasn't completely satisfied me as a gaming system. It's perfectly fine for games like Tactics Ogre and Disgaea, but the action games I've tried have never felt as good as my DS phat, nor has the 3DS for that matter -- the bottom half of the system is a little too thin for my liking.

When people talk about how a system looks, I laugh. My DS phat is my favorite gaming system of all time. It just feels awesome. The D-pad's just right, the buttons are just right. If it had the brighter screens of the DS Lite, that woulda been nice, but in terms of form factor, it's great.

Don't think the 3DS looks like a toy, though. It looks like a gaming system. Now, that may come with its own type of stigma, something you might not have to be self conscious about when carrying around an iPhone, but it's pretty clear what type of device it is.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GeekyDad said:
Meh...all I know is my PSP hasn't completely satisfied me as a gaming system. It's perfectly fine for games like Tactics Ogre and Disgaea, but the action games I've tried have never felt as good as my DS phat, nor has the 3DS for that matter -- the bottom half of the system is a little too thin for my liking.

When people talk about how a system looks, I laugh. My DS phat is my favorite gaming system of all time. It just feels awesome. The D-pad's just right, the buttons are just right. If it had the brighter screens of the DS Lite, that woulda been nice, but in terms of form factor, it's great.

Don't think the 3DS looks like a toy, though. It looks like a gaming system. Now, that may come with its own type of stigma, something you might not have to be self conscious about when carrying around an iPhone, but it's pretty clear what type of device it is.
Maybe I am in the minority, I hated the DS Phat's look. I was so happy when the lite came out.

watershed

Banned
MThanded said:
Maybe I am in the minority, I hated the DS Phat's look. I was so happy when the lite came out.
No you're definitely in the majority. The entire world jumped for joy when the ds lite came out.

GeekyDad

Thought the phat looked okay, but I never gave too much thought to it, really. I just preferred how it felt in my hands. Everything was slightly rounded, fat on the bottom. Guess I like fat bottoms -- what can I say.

Roto13

Edag Plata said:
So no word on when we'll be able to transfer all the data from 3DS to 3DS for when I am weak and get the red one?
No word on when yet. It will happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they have it ready by the time the red 3DSes are out, since that's exactly what this kind of functionality is for.

MooMoo

Roto13 said:
No word on when yet. It will happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they have it ready by the time the red 3DSes are out, since that's exactly what this kind of functionality is for.
Ignoring any minor "performance" updates, I'm really curious as to what Nintendo will do next with the 3DS OS because they're pretty much delivered everything they said they would; the eShop release, inclusion of the internet browser, Nintendo Video, and Netflix. Hopefully, they just don't leave it as is, as there are a lot of minor things they can fix up such as folders and friend messaging. Or even more puzzle pieces for StreetPass.

watershed

Banned
MooMoo said:
Ignoring any minor "performance" updates, I'm really curious as to what Nintendo will do next with the 3DS OS because they're pretty much delivered everything they said they would; the eShop release, inclusion of the internet browser, Nintendo Video, and Netflix. Hopefully, they just don't leave it as is, as there are a lot of minor things they can fix up such as folders and friend messaging. Or even more puzzle pieces for StreetPass.
There's still messaging which they've only mentioned briefly, 3d video which Iwata and Reggie have both talked about being available in future updates, and Iwata hinted at the possibility of another streetpass quest thing. I'm hoping Nintendo continues to improve the 3ds via system updates, adding interesting features, improving the eshop, more networking features. In particular I'm hoping for a way to share 3d photos, either a Nintendo run site dedicated to 3ds mpos or a partnership like flipnote hatena, which reminds me, there's also 3d flipnote which Miyamoto mentioned they are working on.

MooMoo

artwalknoon said:
There's still messaging which they've only mentioned briefly, 3d video which Iwata and Reggie have both talked about being available in future updates, and Iwata hinted at the possibility of another streetpass quest thing. I'm hoping Nintendo continues to improve the 3ds via system updates, adding interesting features, improving the eshop, more networking features. In particular I'm hoping for a way to share 3d photos, either a Nintendo run site dedicated to 3ds mpos or a partnership like flipnote hatena, which reminds me, there's also 3d flipnote which Miyamoto mentioned they are working on.
Oh, totally forgot about 3D videos. That's supposed to be through Netflix right? Or is it something entirely different? Can't wait for 3D flipnote. I could never make anything particularly good with the DSi version, but it was fun to mess around with and see what other cool stuff people could come up with.

StevieP

Banned
MooMoo said:
Oh, totally forgot about 3D videos. That's supposed to be through Netflix right? Or is it something entirely different? Can't wait for 3D flipnote. I could never make anything particularly good with the DSi version, but it was fun to mess around with and see what other cool stuff people could come up with.

3D videos are up. The app is free on the eShop. Some cool(but nerdy) cartoons from CollegeHumour, 3D music videos, movie trailers, etc.

watershed

Banned
MooMoo said:
Not those 3d videos, Iwata and Reggie have talked about adding a 3d video recording feature using its outer 3d cameras. Reggie has even talked about editing and stuff but I think that was just pr talk. But at minimum along with being able to take 3d photos you'll also be able to record 3d video.

MooMoo

artwalknoon said:
Not those 3d videos, Iwata and Reggie have talked about adding a 3d video recording feature using its outer 3d cameras. Reggie has even talked about editing and stuff but I think that was just pr talk. But at minimum along with being able to take 3d photos you'll also be able to record 3d video.
Ah, gotcha. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about that.

Speaking of system functionality, what was this 'My Blog' application that was supposed to be included at launch? Wasn't that supposed to be the way to share our photos?
As for other features, new Streetpass stuff will be ready at the end of the year, video recording and Flipnote are being worked on, whilst messaging is still a rumour at the moment. It seems a no brainer to bring back Pictochat in an online-enabled version so I hope this will be the path they're going down. Would explain the delays in friends list functionality I suppose...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Speaking of system functionality, what was this 'My Blog' application that was supposed to be included at launch? Wasn't that supposed to be the way to share our photos?

I think the "My Blog" was a misunderstanding concerning an NCL announcement. I think the point was to show that the browser could be used to update blogs and upload photos, but that folks mistook the image of "My Blog" with a Mii photo to mean that Nintendo was releasing some sort of blogging software/hosting.

Mik2121

idwl said:
I would seriously pay for an online pictochat, nintendo can expand the appeal of the 3ds just by adding chat
Online pictochat that gives you three layers to paint stuff on, so you can make drawings with depth. And all of that, online :O

I'd pay, too.

GeekyDad

MooMoo said:

In the past, I would expect them to do just that, but I think they feel compelled to do more with 3DS because of their situation right now with the system. But it's Nintendo, so who knows. When the system launched, they seemed to be relying so much on the power of the original DS, fan hype and word of mouth. Seemed overly confident to me. Hopefully, the price cut isn't their only move toward keeping this thing relevant. Though they've kind of "delivered everything they said they would," it's little to get excited about. Nintendo Video, in particular, is a pretty unremarkable addition to the menu system.

So I've had my 3DS for about a week now, and I thought I'd write up some impressions.

Playing Ocarina of Time, my initial thought was that the graphics are pretty damn good. When you first start playing the system, the first thing you notice in 3D is the awful jaggies. When you're playing in 2D, the super-sampling and anti-aliasing completely negate the problem, but given the fact that the one major point the system has going for it that makes it seem more than "just another DS" (and admit it, even with the improved graphics, that's how it feels when you play it) is the 3D, that aliasing is disappointing. With that in mind, I would have really liked to have seen the resolution doubled from the original DS, which would also offer better backwards compatibility with legacy software. But of course, who knows how much that would have drove up the cost of the system, and so, with our quasi-400x240 resolution we remain. And of course, after a time, you start to stop noticing the jaggies and just start playing the game.

The hardware seems very powerful, however. Some of the textures in Ocarina of Time feel like they would be better at home on the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or PC, rather than a portable gaming system. The stone walls of Death Mountain come to mind. And of course, emerging on to Hyrule Field for the first time and realizing that the draw distance is so good that I can see completely across it from one side to the other was jaw-dropping. Yeah, sure, this is an upgrade of a Nintendo 64 environment, but the lack of loading times and the amount of things the system is able to keep in RAM has really impressed me. And this is all (assuming) with a game that was developed when the 3DS's Software Development Kit only consisted of 64MB of RAM, half of what Nintendo ended up going with in the final hardware! I can't wait to see what the second or third generation of games look like, taking full advantage of that 128MB.

Outside of graphics, my second biggest thought was that why isn't the 3DS more like a Smart Phone? Yes, that is the thought that went though my head, and saying things like, "Nintendo only makes dedicated video game systems!" isn't going to change it. Maybe this is just me growing up, but a couple of thoughts were, "Where is my mail app?", "Is there an app to sync my calendar?", and "I wonder if I can receive in-game notifications?" Yes, I have an iPhone to do all this stuff, but on some level, this is the amount of functionality I think I might be coming to expect from every device. Instead, not unlike the Wii, the OS's features are somewhere in a gimped in-between. I think this is an area that the Playstation Vita is going to have a clear edge over the 3DS, and now that I think about it, now owning a 3DS, I stand by my original prediction that literally the only thing the 3DS has over the Vita is first-party Nintendo games.

Essentially, I would like to not have to check my phone while I'm gaming. That's the level of smart phone features I'm looking for.

The OS is also where the 3DS's doubled amount of RAM comes in to play again. Currently, the Suspend Play feature is slow and somewhat clunky, but if Nintendo in the future could upgrade the OS in the future to make it smoother or to bring iOS-level multitasking, we could have the basis for a really great system. I can almost guarantee that in the future, we're going to see a "3DSi-style" upgrade where Nintendo will double the RAM and maybe slightly bump up processor frequencies in order to provide a more functional OS. It's going to happen.

And yes, of course, battery life is bad, but I expect that to improve with a future revision. Even another half hour to an hour would be huge. (An extra hour would be good enough for me).

Overall, I would say I'm "satisfied enough" with the system. I'm really hoping that new features are added to the system in the future that makes the device more fully featured. Knowing Nintendo, however, this isn't going to be the case. I've felt the same way with the Wii, the DS, and the DSi, and we all know how much functionality was added to those devices over time. The graphics seem good enough for my tastes, and I really am looking forward to what developers can do once they become more familiar with the hardware.

ombz said:
I cut a CD cleaning cloth to put in between the screens which I've used since I got my 3DS. What kind of liquid would you recommend? I tried Windex but it didn't work.
I also called Nintendo and it's going to cost $85 to fix it since blotches aren't covered under the warranty (Even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault).
Can't you just return it to the store?

Anyway, I have to disagree with the guy who said to use a liquid cleaning agent on the screen. That's a huge no-no. Never use windex either. You don't want that shit seeping into the system. Always use a micro-fiber cleaning cloth only.

MooMoo

GeekyDad said:
In the past, I would expect them to do just that, but I think they feel compelled to do more with 3DS because of their situation right now with the system. But it's Nintendo, so who knows. When the system launched, they seemed to be relying so much on the power of the original DS, fan hype and word of mouth. Seemed overly confident to me. Hopefully, the price cut isn't their only move toward keeping this thing relevant. Though they've kind of "delivered everything they said they would," it's little to get excited about. Nintendo Video, in particular, is a pretty unremarkable addition to the menu system.
Yup, I agree. My expectations are that the ambassador program + release of the red 3DS + holiday first party releases means that they won't be doing any major OS revisions until 2012, maybe not even until the 2012 holiday season (oh noes 12/21/12!). The only major addition I want is friend messaging. I'm still irritated whenever I see someone playing RE: Mercs and I can't send them a message asking if they want to duo with me =/ A lot of other things people have complained about, such as lack of folders, doesn't really bother me.

I like that second commercial. Just show those three or four games and you're golden for the holidays. From there, when people are done with those games (which will be WHY they get the system), they'll go ahead and pick up some of the third party stuff, making it a better environment for third parties to get their games out there.

MicH

I like those commercial. Really simple, but eyecatching. Still not keen on the Mario Kart 7 title though. Seems so out of place.

Izayoi

Banned
I actually don't mind "Mario Kart 7" being the title. I do think that "Super Mario 3D Land" would be better off as "Super Mario Land", though.

cw_sasuke said:
New "Relaunch" commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByvsCZUfjA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgd925epv4&feature=player_embedded

I hope the will also include one like in UK where they show off some upcoming 3rd Party titles...
These commercials totally remind me of the downward spiral of previous systems that failed to gain traction early on. They carefully spell out what the system offers.

BTW is the battery life truly 3 to 5 hours?

Somnid

evilromero said:
These commercials totally remind me of the downward spiral of previous systems that failed to gain traction early on. They carefully spell out what the system offers.

It's always a hard question because it depends on how you set it up but it's around there. If you have Wi-fi going all day don't expect to be able to play very long in the evening without plugging in.

Tyeforce

evilromero said:
It is, but if you use the charging cradle that comes with the system often, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I put mine on the charger whenever I'm not using it, and I never have my battery die on me, even when playing with max brightness and 3D. And if you want, Nyko makes a replacement battery that doubles the battery life, though it makes your system slightly thicker.

Izayoi

Banned
evilromero said:
Well obviously Nintendo is doomed. No need to restate what everyone already knows.

Effect

wiid said:
Those commercials are so bad... I want something more exciting.

Nah. Those are the commercials that were needed. The only version missing in North America is one like the UK one that shows off third party games. They need to be as direct as possible and actually show games. Make it clear that this is a new system and you do that by showing how different the games are compared to the DS units people currently have. Make it clear the games are only playable on the 3DS.

I liked the new commercials. Showing big games along with "these can only be played on the Nintendo 3DS" is smart. And they show the price cut, which is also good!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
cw_sasuke said:
New "Relaunch" commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByvsCZUfjA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgd925epv4&feature=player_embedded

I hope the will also include one like in UK where they show off some upcoming 3rd Party titles...
They are STILL not differentiating the 3DS from the DS like they have in the UK. The games are shown on a zoomed in top screen that can be easily mistaken for the a DS if you aren't really paying attention to the commercial.

EDIT: Also Kid Icarus is obviously absent from these commercials.

BurntPork

Banned
Fantastical said:
They are STILL not differentiating the 3DS from the DS like they have in the UK. The games are shown on a zoomed in top screen that can be easily mistaken for the a DS if you aren't really paying attention to the commercial.

EDIT: Also Kid Icarus is obviously absent from these commercials.
Shouldn't the "only for 3DS" line help with that, though?

Yeah. KI definitely won't make it this holiday. Sadly this probably means we won't see SSB4 until 2014-15. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom