• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are we allowed to talk about things like the carts that let you put your DS games on it? If we are, are there any that work with 3DS? I'm going to be in Europe for over 4 months and don't want to bring a suitcase of DS games.
There are plenty that work--though I'm not sure how easy it would be to purchase one. What I mean is that a few times 3DS firmware updates have prevented them from running, but if you'd wait for a firmware update for your card first, they've mostly been able to work around them. So my AceKard 2i works, for instance, but I don't know where you'd be sure to get one that's recent enough to work on the latest 3DS firmware out of the box.

If you have access to an original DS or DS Lite, though, you should be able to run the card on there regardless and perform firmware update to make them 3DS compatible again.

This thread at GBAtemp has information on cards that work.

Kyzer

Banned
picked up a 3DS last night from BB, will price match when the time comes.

Gotta say, I love it. Now I just need some good games. =P

Futureman

I wonder if the 3DS has a shot of being the #1 selling videogame hardware in August?

The Aqua and Black preorder versions are both in Amazon top 20 right now.

JoshuaJSlone said:
There are plenty that work--though I'm not sure how easy it would be to purchase one. What I mean is that a few times 3DS firmware updates have prevented them from running, but if you'd wait for a firmware update for your card first, they've mostly been able to work around them. So my AceKard 2i works, for instance, but I don't know where you'd be sure to get one that's recent enough to work on the latest 3DS firmware out of the box.

If you have access to an original DS or DS Lite, though, you should be able to run the card on there regardless and perform firmware update to make them 3DS compatible again.

This thread at GBAtemp has information on cards that work.

I got my DS like literally the day Zelda came out and it has the screen scratching problem. Is there a way to check the serial number to see what rev it is? You have newest firmware adn your AceKard 2i works?

The box says for 2.10-4 which is on my 3ds but none of the files to download say anything but 2.00, will it still work?

Fernando Rocker said:
Those cards only work for DS games tho... and that's because the 3DS can run in native DS mode.

So far, 3DS mode hasn't been hacked.

That's fine, I only have like 4 3DS games, so I don't mind carrying those but I have probably like 70-80 DS games. My case that holds my 3DS holds 6 carts so I'll keep my 3DS there I just don't want more than that if I can.

So I picked up a 3DS this morning. Grabbed DOA and Zelda. I played Zelda for about an hour and a half during my morning commute.

Man...color me impressed. I really am digging the 3D feature. It works so much better than the 2 minutes of gametime I got in with SF4 at the store.

I can't really access any online components at work, but I plan to spend the rest of the evening with it after dinner. Which will help since the GF wants to watch TV on the couch, I can get my game on :)

I'm actually pretty impressed with the console so far. I'm really itching to get into Zelda. I haven't played it since the N64 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I'm really going to enjoy that. It's just a matter of getting the games on the console. After that, it'll be good to go. In the meantime, I'm going to dive into all the DS games I never got a chance to play since this is my first Nintendo handheld since my original gameboy back in 1990. Man, technology has jumped SO much since then.

Mammoth Jones said:
So I picked up a 3DS this morning. Grabbed DOA and Zelda. I played Zelda for about an hour and a half during my morning commute.

Man...color me impressed. I really am digging the 3D feature. It works so much better than the 2 minutes of gametime I got in with SF4 at the store.

I can't really access any online components at work, but I plan to spend the rest of the evening with it after dinner. Which will help since the GF wants to watch TV on the couch, I can get my game on :)

I'm actually pretty impressed with the console so far. I'm really itching to get into Zelda. I haven't played it since the N64 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I'm really going to enjoy that. It's just a matter of getting the games on the console. After that, it'll be good to go. In the meantime, I'm going to dive into all the DS games I never got a chance to play since this is my first Nintendo handheld since my original gameboy back in 1990. Man, technology has jumped SO much since then.

The two DS Legend of Zelda titles, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, are also good, but control is entirely stylus-based, so while they're some of my favorite games in the DS library, alot of folks absolutely hated them.

Boney

Banned
Mammoth Jones said:

If you're in a Zelda itch, be sure to chek out Link's Awakening on the eShop, it's the best one.
If you wanna explore the DS backlog, here's a great thread with all noteworthy releases up to 2010 I think.

Aaand I just called the same Walmart I purchased it from and the price has been dropped! So, that's really not bad at all. Going to go in after work and get my 80 bucks back =)

Man, they just had to drop the 3DS price on my birthday. Flawless Victory.

I asked this in the other thread, but here it is again:

Is it normal for the system to creak? I've noticed that when using the d-pad, specifically when moving to the right, it makes a creaky noise. It's annoying. Will this go away?

MooMoo

Jimmy Stav said:
I asked this in the other thread, but here it is again:

Is it normal for the system to creak? I've noticed that when using the d-pad, specifically when moving to the right, it makes a creaky noise. It's annoying. Will this go away?
Pretty much all my buttons and stuff started off squeaky. You sort of have to break-in the slide pad and d-pad for the creaking to go away.

maeda

I just noticed that even though my 3DS gets SpotPassed, sometimes the light on the system doesn't turn blue. In those instances there is still a blue dot over the app that received a SpotPass update in the menu. Is it normal?

NateDrake

maeda said:
I just noticed that even though my 3DS gets SpotPassed, sometimes the light on the system doesn't turn blue. In those instances there is still a blue dot over the app that received a SpotPass update in the menu. Is it normal?
Yes. That means the app/game has new content available.

AceBandage said:
You only get the blue light if you get a message notification.
Updates to software doesn't get a message.
I have gotten the blue light with simple DOA updates, and not the weekly ones that come with messages, just the daily costumes.

I only get them when the 3DS is closed and in its cradle, though.

Morts

Just bought mine with Zelda. I know the software isn't really there yet but I couldn't pass up the 20 free games and I was going to buy one for Mario 3D Land anyway. Nifty little device so far, but the "turn a photo into a Mii" feature couldn't even come close.

Is Kid Icarus confirmed not to be this year or are we all just assuming that?

Morts said:
Just bought mine with Zelda. I know the software isn't really there yet but I couldn't pass up the 20 free games and I was going to buy one for Mario 3D Land anyway. Nifty little device so far, but the "turn a photo into a Mii" feature couldn't even come close.

Is Kid Icarus confirmed not to be this year or are we all just assuming that?

It says this Holiday on the most recent release list.

I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but I haven't had one in a LONG time outside of the SSB series. Any suggestions on whether or not I should pick up either SSF or DOA?

fernoca

My Mii is a mix of the photo-thing and customization. It got the nose and eyes right...and nothing else. :p

brochiller said:
I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but I haven't had one in a LONG time outside of the SSB series. Any suggestions on whether or not I should pick up either SSF or DOA?
I think you'll be fine with either. Both are quite great and quite different too. SSFIV is more of a traditional 2D fighting game and "hadouken-like motions", DOAD is more 3D-fighting and "smashing punc hand kick buttons". Yet, deep enough if yo udecide to master specific characters. Both also have a good amount of content and quite nice online multiplayer.

watershed

Banned
I was just updating my status on the 3ds when I tried to enter "Q42011" and I got a message saying "You can enter up to 5 digits" and any digits beyond the first four become question marks. This is the first time I've encountered this, is it to prevent kids from giving away their phone numbers and area codes and stuff? I was just trying to hype Colors!3D release in Q42011!

MooMoo

artwalknoon said:
I was just updating my status on the 3ds when I tried to enter "Q42011" and I got a message saying "You can enter up to 5 digits" and any digits beyond the first four become question marks. This is the first time I've encountered this, is it to prevent kids from giving away their phone numbers and area codes and stuff? I was just trying to hype Colors!3D release in Q42011!
Oh, that's weird. I just tried it and got the same thing. Seems like a very Nintendo-like thing to do, so I'm not surprised by the move. I can see why it would be annoying though.

artwalknoon said:
Yeah, I think Nintendo does not like the idea of phone numbers and e-mail addresses as streetpass information.

GeekyDad

brochiller said:

Played both, and though SSFIV is probably my current favorite fighting game to play on my PS3, I enjoyed DoA a lot more on 3DS. It just works better for me with the hardware. It's enough of a compromise to work without sacrificing being a true fighting game on the go. The presentation in DoA, though, is pretty laughable. Some cool extras, but cutscenes when doing the story mode are hilariously bad. Overlook that, and it's an excellent 3DS fighter. Save SSFIV for console/arcade play.

So I got my 3DS yesterday and I've spent some time with it. Pretty nice. Everything seems to be in working order, but I did notice one issue(?).

I was cleaning the screens with a cloth before I put it back on the cradle and I noticed that when I pressed down on the edge of the right side of the lower screen that it made some noise. I tried it again and they noise continued. It almost sounds like parts inside the machine are being pressed against.

Is this a common or known issue? As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay of the system, I can live with it. (Though it may become slightly annoying.) But I'd like to know if this something that other people have experienced, or is my system just extra "special"?

Gunloc said:
So I got my 3DS yesterday and I've spent some time with it. Pretty nice. Everything seems to be in working order, but I did notice one issue(?).

I was cleaning the screens with a cloth before I put it back on the cradle and I noticed that when I pressed down on the edge of the right side of the lower screen that it made some noise. I tried it again and they noise continued. It almost sounds like parts inside the machine are being pressed against.

Is this a common or known issue? As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay of the system, I can live with it. (Though it may become slightly annoying.) But I'd like to know if this something that other people have experienced, or is my system just extra "special"?

Is it a creak? If so, mine is doing that too when I press hard on the dpad. I've checked other forums and people are saying that it goes away after a few days.

Is there any place in the US that sells the 3DS carts like R4i 3DS? All the places to order from have slow shipping from china unless you pay like $30 which is pricey...

watershed

Banned
Okay this probably isn't the best thread to post this but I just wanted to point out that The World Ends With You is currently number 18 in top sellers for video games on Amazon and is being sold for the super cheap price of $15 dollars. If you're a brand new 3ds owner looking to explore the ds back catalog or just never played this game but was always curious now is the time! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00136MBHA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Varna

Just got my 3DS. I did not really expect myself to buy it this early I had a whole list of requirements that needed to happen for me to ever consider it.

Sub $160.
Newer model.
Majora's Mask (or something else worth playing outside of Ocarina of Time).
Better price model for VC titles.

One big factor in my purchase was actually trying the damn thing out. I excepted an obviously flawed product just like every other first gen Nintendo handheld. This thing is slick though and outside of battery life I can't think of anything they could improve on. I managed to get an open box unit from Amazon for $180 which was pretty nice. Thing looks brand new and those free classics will be awesome to play again. Of course OoT was the first game I bought and the game looks amazing. Looks really clean and the frame-rate makes a huge difference. I will never get any use out of the 3D effect though. Anything but the lowest level hurts my eyes bad.

fernoca

Yeah.For Ocarina of time I have to put the 3D around the middle. For Super Street Fighter IV I can put it to the max. Guess 2D gameplay versus 3D gameplay makes a difference; since 2D gameplay everything's in layers; the maxed 3D makes the lifebars and special effects stand out more and the background gets pushed way back.

Varna

What was with all the talk about DS games not looking to great on the 3DS? I read a few articles on it before purchasing and most mention having to tweak some settings... but in my quick test of FFIII I couldn't find anything to tweak and right off the bat the game ran at the correct aspect ratio and looked fine (unless my memory is failing me).

Branduil

Roto13 said:
You can tell when someone has tried to turn a photo into a Mii because their Mii has a tiny little face.
Yeah using the photo feature doesn't work great. It can be okay as a starting point but you pretty much have to tweak everything.

Also, why does the 3DS mii creator hate sideburns?

Morts

Got mine at last night at Best Buy last night with Zelda (didn't even try Wal-Mart, Rewards Points are probably worth the hassle of price-matching this weekend). The Ambassador program forced my hand earlier than I wanted, but I have to say I'm impressed so far. The system reeks of "DS phat" in photos but is so much slicker in person. Zelda also looks better than the screens would have had me believe, and I'm playing it with 3d on max.

Do we know what the store DRM is like yet? As in, if I start buying stuff now will I be able to move it to a larger SD card later?

Unicorn

Varna said:
What was with all the talk about DS games not looking to great on the 3DS? I read a few articles on it before purchasing and most mention having to tweak some settings... but in my quick test of FFIII I couldn't find anything to tweak and right off the bat the game ran at the correct aspect ratio and looked fine (unless my memory is failing me).
Where/How can you tweak those settings? Animal Crossing blurs a bit when stretched out.

Morts said:
Got mine at last night at Best Buy last night with Zelda (didn't even try Wal-Mart, Rewards Points are probably worth the hassle of price-matching this weekend). The Ambassador program forced my hand earlier than I wanted, but I have to say I'm impressed so far. The system reeks of "DS phat" in photos but is so much slicker in person. Zelda also looks better than the screens would have had me believe, and I'm playing it with 3d on max.

Do we know what the store DRM is like yet? As in, if I start buying stuff now will I be able to move it to a larger SD card later?
I haven't done it myself but I was assured it's easy to do.

Unicorn said:
Where/How can you tweak those settings? Animal Crossing blurs a bit when stretched out.
You can hold Select until the game loads to force it to load in it's native resolution instead of stretching to fit the 3DS's screens, but that's the only thing I think you can really change about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom