• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
artwalknoon said:
jeez the download takes quite a bit. I was hoping they were adding a messaging system or something. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember reading an interview with Iwata a while ago, could have been an investor Q and A or an Iwata Asks, where he said they were working on a "myblog" type feature where 3ds users could upload and share their 3d photos in some rudimentary community building through the 3ds browser. Anyone else recall something like that or did I just imagine it?

He said alot of things...One being that we can exchange messages...remember this
11m5aux.jpg

he (or someone....maybe everyones hero reggie) did say something along them lines

GeekyDad

MasterShotgun said:
Sadly, no. Unless there is something I'm missing, they probably just made it more stable and maybe a little faster.

Yeah, that would be too much to hope for. I'd settle for just a mention of it being included in a future update.

watershed

Banned
JackFrost said:
He said alot of things...One being that we can exchange messages...remember this
11m5aux.jpg

he (or someone....maybe everyones hero reggie) did say something along them lines
I just noticed something in your picture the second sentence says "you can also exchange short messages"

Now it says "They can also view each other's status messages." Does anyone know when this change in language happened? Was it with this update today?

artwalknoon said:
I just noticed something in your picture the second sentence says "you can also exchange short messages"

Now it says "They can also view each other's status messages." Does anyone know when this change in language happened? Was it with this update today?

no this is a little old but the reason you bolded was why i posted it. I have a feeling our "blog" is going the way of our messages or possibly worse....meaning nothing at all.

watershed

Banned
JackFrost said:
no this is a little old but the reason you bolded was why i posted it. I have a feeling our "blog" is going the way of our messages or possibly worse....meaning nothing at all.
Ah, I see now. I never noticed the change until today. Actually seeing the change gives me hope that they will add messaging at a later date so they wanted to make sure not to use the word "messages" now.

Insaniac

You know i was wondering about that. seeing friends online is a great step, but not being able to exchange messages makes it rather useless imo.

Also is there a different between "Street pass" and "spot pass" ?

Insaniac said:
You know i was wondering about that. seeing friends online is a great step, but not being able to exchange messages makes it rather useless imo.

Also is there a different between "Street pass" and "spot pass" ?

as far as i know...

streetpass is passing another 3DS and exchanging data
spotpass is hooking up to the internet either at home or through some sorta wi-fi hotspot

Grokbu

Recently got my 3DS and I put a couple of MP3's on my SD card today and I have to say that, while the karaoke option isn't perfect, it's really cool.
Tried it with a couple of BlazBlue songs and it worked pretty well!

EDIT: The quality isn't too good, but I could see myself using this for backing tracks when playing guitar.

EDIT2: Yeah... Tried a couple more songs and it doesn't sound too good. :<

GeekyDad

Just read the full release statement Nintendo sent out regarding the update. They go on and on about "modifications." Seems like they want to make it clear they plan on exercising liberal means to prevent piracy on 3DS. Seems like the least of their problems right now. But that's one ship that is way too big to turn on a dime. After DS, they probably put a lot of eggs in the anti-piracy basket for 3DS. Unfortunately, they should be pouring all their resources for the system into marketing the thing, especially since it sounds like the homebrew community currently has no clue how to approach cracking into the system.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
To anyone who has gotten their 3DS replaced by Nintendo, do they transfer all data (puzzle pieces, hats, activity log, system settings) to the new 3DS?

GeekyDad said:
Just read the full release statement Nintendo sent out regarding the update. They go on and on about "modifications." Seems like they want to make it clear they plan on exercising liberal means to prevent piracy on 3DS. Seems like the least of their problems right now. But that's one ship that is way too big to turn on a dime. After DS, they probably put a lot of eggs in the anti-piracy basket for 3DS. Unfortunately, they should be pouring all their resources for the system into marketing the thing, especially since it sounds like the homebrew community currently has no clue how to approach cracking into the system.

I'm glad they've got it locked up though. I see a little kid with a DS with a flash card sticking out of their system almost weekly and it really bugs me.

Don't about you guys, but today I was blasting Beyonce's 4 on my 3DS Sound and it asked me to update my StreetPass playlist.

Never happened before, maybe it's related to the new firmware update, I'm not sure.

GameE said:
The 3DS browser is so bad :\ Might be worse than DSi....
You can't access Twitter, Youtube or Facebook. :(

But other than that, I think it's a pretty cool browser.

EDIT: Wow, I just tested and you can tweet if you click on a Tweet Button!

EDIT 2: Or I could simply use m.twitter.com, lol!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The new 3DS slogan in the UK is "This is not DS; this is Nintendo 3DS."

M3d10n said:
What tabs? The 3DS browser only keeps a single page open, there are no tabs, only history.
I don't know. Previous user mentioned tabs, and another user commented on them as well.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
artwalknoon said:

This thing came out months ago and messaging STILL isn't available? What the fuck are they doing?

Kerrby

Banned
dallow_bg said:
The new 3DS slogan in the UK is "This is not DS; this is Nintendo 3DS."

That's awful, if I saw that in the street and had no idea about games I would have no idea what this would mean.

Jokeropia

Kerrby said:
That's awful, if I saw that in the street and had no idea about games I would have no idea what this would mean.
I don't think you get it, the slogan is said at the end of 3DS commercials where they show game footage and highlight the differences between the DS and the 3DS.

Question (maybe answered earlier):

I am sellig my 3DS this afternoon. I've bought a couple items from the e-shop (mainly Excitebikies (free) and Zelda Link's Awakening). Is there any way for me to carry these over to a new 3DS should I buy one in the future, or are they forever tied to the console I purchased them on? If I can, how?

Help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MikeE21286 said:
Question (maybe answered earlier):

I am sellig my 3DS this afternoon. I've bought a couple items from the e-shop (mainly Excitebikies (free) and Zelda Link's Awakening). Is there any way for me to carry these over to a new 3DS should I buy one in the future, or are they forever tied to the console I purchased them on? If I can, how?

Help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The feature to transfer between two 3DS is on the system, but locked until a future firmware update for whatever reason. So no, you currently aren't able to transfer them.

Roto13

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
The feature to transfer between two 3DS is on the system, but locked until a future firmware update for whatever reason. So no, you currently aren't able to transfer them.
You wouldn't be able to do it without already owning a future DS anyway. :p

Mexx

Neo Member
Okay, I have an issue with my console. Touch screen is responsive, it's working, because it's turning on but there is no image, it's black. When I push screen or 3DS sometimes image appear but only for a few seconds with some artifacts. Does anyone have such an issue with a 3DS or DS? What shoud I do, send it on warranty or do it by myself?

Luigiv

Mexx said:
Okay, I have an issue with my console. Touch screen is responsive, it's working, because it's turning on but there is no image, it's black. When I push screen or 3DS sometimes image appear but only for a few seconds with some artifacts. Does anyone have such an issue with a 3DS or DS? What shoud I do, send it on warranty or do it by myself?
Send it in under warranty of course.

I'm down for some Rodea, whichever version is superior (most likely the Wii version), I'm just not convinced that it's even still in development. We haven't heard anything about it for months.

Poyunch

nincompoop said:
I'm down for some Rodea, whichever version is superior (most likely the Wii version), I'm just not convinced that it's even still in development. We haven't heard anything about it for months.
Yeah I'm really worried that the 3DS version is going to have terrible aliasing but I really want to see this game in 3D.

Somnid

Does anyone know how to backup stuff from the SD card? I just started looking into this to move my e3 trailers somewhere else but it looks like the SD card carries a manifest of software and so deleting the corresponding title data (which isn't complete apparent) doesn't purge it from the menu (but will make it inoperable). The thing is, I'm wondering if that manifest file is encrypted and so you can't actually make a 3DS readable backup without copying the whole card, and can't just pick and choose titles to remove from the card to a harddrive or something. You have to delete/redownload from the system.

So if I'm right that means to remove the trailers (or any limited content) but keep a backup I have to copy the whole card, delete all the data and redownload everything else.

Man their security got tight.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
M3d10n said:
Flash runs like crap on Atom processors, God have mercy of the 3DS's ARM CPU if it ever tried to.
It's usually a matter of what level of hw acceleration the platform has. Flash on any CPU alone (south of a C2D) is a pain in the behind, but I've seen flash on a few sub-GHz ARMs where it was properly accelerated and provided a decent experience.

GeekyDad

Well, finally got around to playing Pilot Wings. Makes a great first impression, with the music, oddly enough, really being a wonderful stand-out feature. Have to say, though, after playing so much RE: Mercs 3D, I got quickly bored with Pilot Wings. Love the way they did the 3D in the game, though. Looks and feels right for the gameplay.

Boney

Banned
So Toys 'R Us has a a few games at $20 and there's also a buy 1 get 40% off 1

most notably

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Bust-A-Move Universe
Cubic Ninja

Unicorn

What hit me today, which I think is pretty amazing, is that Animal Crossing: Wild World has lasted me a generation+. I bought my DS for Animal Crossing and have played it substantially over roughly 6 years now. It's weird that I have the next generation and am still playing AC, trying to complete certain libraries (missing 1 fucking fish, 3 bugs, and a handful of paintings) and that this game is still producing content for me to see and new reactions from villagers. Just today I got the "Legendary Brewster Blend" of coffee which I've never seen myself get before, and even Brewster was surprised by his own creation!

Something that I'm really scared of is the activity log. Prior to now I've never known how much time I've invested in any Animal Crossing game (I didn't play City Folk long enough to consider myself hooked, as it sucked) but now I'm able to see that I spent ~3 hours in AC:WW today. I mean, I'm scared for when AC 3DS comes out and the counter is really starting fresh. In the back of my mind I've always wanted to know my time investment in AC games, but at the same time I felt better NOT knowing.

Also, the AR cards are awesome. I get the feeling that they aren't THAT amazing though, since it seems that the cards represent little more than triggers to open files on the 3DS itself. Getting new cards wouldn't open new experiences, since the games/arenas feel pre-loaded. Is there more depth to the concept than a rather cool tech-demo?

Tim-E

Boney said:
So Toys 'R Us has a a few games at $20 and there's also a buy 1 get 40% off 1

most notably

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Bust-A-Move Universe
Cubic Ninja

Are any of those games, outside of Ghost Recon, worth playing?

Unicorn said:
What hit me today, which I think is pretty amazing, is that Animal Crossing: Wild World has lasted me a generation+. I bought my DS for Animal Crossing and have played it substantially over roughly 6 years now. It's weird that I have the next generation and am still playing AC, trying to complete certain libraries (missing 1 fucking fish, 3 bugs, and a handful of paintings) and that this game is still producing content for me to see and new reactions from villagers. Just today I got the "Legendary Brewster Blend" of coffee which I've never seen myself get before, and even Brewster was surprised by his own creation!

Something that I'm really scared of is the activity log. Prior to now I've never known how much time I've invested in any Animal Crossing game (I didn't play City Folk long enough to consider myself hooked, as it sucked) but now I'm able to see that I spent ~3 hours in AC:WW today. I mean, I'm scared for when AC 3DS comes out and the counter is really starting fresh. In the back of my mind I've always wanted to know my time investment in AC games, but at the same time I felt better NOT knowing.

Also, the AR cards are awesome. I get the feeling that they aren't THAT amazing though, since it seems that the cards represent little more than triggers to open files on the 3DS itself. Getting new cards wouldn't open new experiences, since the games/arenas feel pre-loaded. Is there more depth to the concept than a rather cool tech-demo?

I also love the Activity Log. It's just nice seeing the 3DS keep track of everything you do, for some reason.

As for AR, there is more to it, in a sense.
At its most basic level, it's just like any other game you can play on the system, just projected onto a live video feed.
However, it can recognize things. Borders, colors, size, distance. The AR games actually make pretty good use of this, particularly the Fishing game. Certain types of fish can only be caught on certain colored areas and such.

Unicorn

I don't know how robust their way of updating is, but there's some things the 3DS does great, but there's also a lot of room for improvement, that I hope they are able to really expand upon within the upcoming years.

Well, pretty much everything about the 3DS, OS wise, can certainly be updated.
Hopefully Nintendo will add plenty of the features they've been talking about.

Ummmm, my 3ds just woke me up by playing a short little tune/chime......

I flipped it open and all I could see was that I received a new pokemon.

I have never heard it do that before and I've had it since launch.

Are we allowed to talk about things like the carts that let you put your DS games on it? If we are, are there any that work with 3DS? I'm going to be in Europe for over 4 months and don't want to bring a suitcase of DS games.

depward

Unicorn said:

Animal Crossing wasn't the reason why I purchased my original DS unit... but it has been my most-played game by far. It's one of the main reasons why I picked up a 3DS (even though I knew it wouldn't be coming out for some time).

I love the Activity Log as well. I'm really... OCD about knowing how long I've played a game. It's kind of weird. It's nice to be able to zing over to that application and check out all of my playing stats.

I'm a big fan of the 3DS. I'm happy that this price-drop happened, as I'm sure it will inspire folks to pick up the system and see how great it is. I'm also happy that Nintendo decided to throw us "ambassadors" a bone; they did not need to, but I'm thankful that they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom