• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Codeblue said:
I hope Amazon ships early.
they won't. it's a hard street date. it would be nice if with one day shipping (prime here) they could have it to you on monday. but one day still says tuesday, and two day still says wednesday.

fortunately Kmart plus a game for me ends up being $21 cheaper including tax (after rewards, discount, etc). any extra games I want I'll head to TRU and do B1G11/2OFF. Though right now I'm just thinking about SSFIV with it anyway.

Aqua blue for me.

-Pyromaniac- said:
The rumour that Nintendo will brick your system for using a flashcart was totally false. One place freaking out, then internet picks up on it for some good old fashioned FUD.

The spotpass thing seems all speculative as well. Guess we wait and see for that.
How do you know it was "totally false"? Nintendo at the time of course only replied that their security measures are secret and they won't discuss them. Nintendo could choose to do so, and we know the system logs flashcart usage, just as it logs all game playing. The only way to delete records of what you've done is to reset the entire machine to launch state, and rumors state that that doesn't erase records of flash card.

gimz

i had my Blue 3DS preordered at EB games a month ago!
am thinking of getting another one from Shoppers since my roommate started working there and she can get it for a cheaper price!

as of games it will be SSFIV for me for now!
had the first Street Fighter 4 on 360 when it came out, but sold it cuz my 360 stop working
now im gonna get it back! with more characters choice, and 3DDD

can't wait!

ryan-ts

Life intervened and I don't have nearly enough spendable money to buy a 3DS anymore. When you're playing, think of me, your fallen comrade.

I can finally allow myself to be excited now!

Probably getting Street Fighter and either Monkey Ball or Pilotwings.,,,,undecided as of now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Fernando Rocker said:
My combo is going to be:

Nintendo 3DS + Super Monkey Ball 3D

I can't believe no one wants to play Super Monkey Ball 3D. I just read some reviews and apparently the game is very good. It has one of the best 3D effects of the launch titles, and it runs at 60fps. Plus, it has a lot of content: almost 100 levels.

Mark by words... Super Monkey Ball 3D is going to be one of the hidden gems.

It's the next game in my gamefly queue

But after the last few years of shitty Monkey Ball games, I don't have my hopes up. I've been burned too many times

Volcynika

Buying two of these will be a hit on my wallet (one is a gift for my brother's birthday). He can buy his own damn games though! :p

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I didn't even think to make super monkey ball my launch game.

but you've done it gaf!

considering it was my launch game for the gamecube, why not I say!

Dreamwriter said:
How do you know it was "totally false"? Nintendo at the time of course only replied that their security measures are secret and they won't discuss them. Nintendo could choose to do so, and we know the system logs flashcart usage, just as it logs all game playing. The only way to delete records of what you've done is to reset the entire machine to launch state, and rumors state that that doesn't erase records of flash card.
Wasn't it just one shop totally freaking out over reading the warning (which always has been totally standard) that messing around with your system like that could brick it. Then the internet picked up on that one misinformed freakout, and then with every site that spread it the information got more and more skewed until the misinformation was just about everywhere. Besides the one retailer starting it absolutely nothing has been confirmed by Nintendo as far as I saw.

The logging seems like it COULD happen to prevent you from being able to trade in the console or something but anything else is crazy talk at this point.

Emitan

Already got my case from Amazon. Now I just need to wait for my Blue 3DS + Pilotwings Resort + LEGO Star Wars + Super Monkey Ball. The wait is killing me. I haven't played a Super Monkey Ball game since 2 and I really miss the series.

I know I'm getting Pilotwings (all over my face). I'm considering either Street fighter or the Julian Gallop game as well, but I'm not sure which.

samoset

Firehead said:
Recently ordered something on Sunday from Amazon with 1-Day shipping and had it arrive on Monday.
Do it.

To add to the confusion I ordered Pokemon White which released on Sunday with 2-day shipping and got it on Monday.
I have my 3ds on 1-day shipping just to be sure

Emitan

samoset said:
To add to the confusion I ordered Pokemon White with 2-day shipping and got it on Monday.
I ordered the game months ago with the fastest shipping and Amazon Prime and didn't get it until 7PM Tuesday night. You. I'm warning you.

MooMoo

samoset said:
To add to the confusion I ordered Pokemon White which released on Sunday with 2-day shipping and got it on Monday.
To triple the confusion, I recently ordered batteries on Amazon with 2-day shipping. They shipped out Sunday night and I got them Monday. Not the best anecdotal evidence (batteries don't have release dates), but it's not too crazy to think that people will be getting the 3DS on Monday.

mj1108

Got mine preordered through Amazon but wondering if the 24 hour WalMarts will be selling at midnight? A new 24 hour WalMart just opened near here....wondering if they would be a better bet.

Seda

My philosophy with new game systems, is that there must be 2 must-have games for me that I will buy with the system. None of the launch titles interest me as a must-have, so I'll wait until there are some that do.

Firehead

HolyCheck said:
I didn't even think to make super monkey ball my launch game.

but you've done it gaf!

considering it was my launch game for the gamecube, why not I say!
Super Monkey Ball 3DS is supposedly good? Alright. That'll be the game I pick up, then.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I might have missed it, but could you explain "Hold the start and select buttons as you run the DS game." Does that mean you hit them when it boots or it's a toggle for full screen and native?

Preordered my black 3DS (regretting the color choice a bit, but have never owned a black Nintendo system save for the N64 so figured it was time), SSFIV3D, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver. Just got my 3DS Pull and Go Folio too, which I'll take pictures of if asked.

I've spent some time with the 3DS at various events and can't see the 3D effect, but that hasn't dampened my excitement one bit. Not long now!

EDIT: Fixed my broken link, thanks Firehead!

The hype runs deep in this thread. I love it.
got my cosmo preordered along with Pilot wings and SSF4. WIll probably get lego on the fly while im there.

My shitty gamestop is doing nothing for this so ill be losing sleep and wasting time needlessly on Saturday night Sunday morning. All good for them though, im taking this as a learning experience and preordering my PSP2 from elsewhere that does these kinda things

mj1108 said:
Got mine preordered through Amazon but wondering if the 24 hour WalMarts will be selling at midnight? A new 24 hour WalMart just opened near here....wondering if they would be a better bet.

I got my Gamecube from Walmart at a midnight launch. WORST. LAUNCH. EXPERIENCE. EVER. All I wanted to do was go home and take a long 'crying-game' shower to wash the Walmart off me. I can still remember the smells...

Firehead

metsallica said:
Preordered my black 3DS (regretting the color choice a bit, but have never owned a black Nintendo system save for the N64 so figured it was time), SSFIV3D, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver. Just got my 3DS Pull and Go Folio too, which I'll take pictures of if asked.

I've spent some time with the 3DS at various events and can't see the 3D effect, but that hasn't dampened my excitement one bit. Not long now!
Black power, yo. That's the one I'm getting!

And your link seems to be broken. Searched on Amazon. Seems like a nice case.

425kid

I ordered both color because I can't decide. I am leaning toward keeping the blue one and cancel the black.

Can anyone confirm if the Game and Watch visualizer in the sound app is playable? If so, is there any other playable visualizer?

MrMephistoX

Probably going with the Black DS but initially pre-ordered the blue from Amazon: I snagged a black one too just in case but don't want to cancel the blue yet in case of catastrophe.

Although I probably could snag it on Sunday the shipping estimate of the 29th is directly on my birthday so I might as well make that day feel somewhat special since I already know what I'm getting for myself.

At any rate I'll probably go with Pilot Wings, Ridge Racer and SSFIV then Gamefly Steel Diver. I've gone through all 5 stages of grief on this one since playing the Best Buy station the first time but am inexplicably hyped now after trying it out again.

I might pick up DQVI or IX too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Excellent OP. Well done.

photo.jpg

Got mine! They've been shipped to most stores already and the rest are coming tomorrow. Go check your mom and pop stores!!! Time to go play with this baby :)

ICallItFutile said:
I might have missed it, but could you explain "Hold the start and select buttons as you run the DS game." Does that mean you hit them when it boots or it's a toggle for full screen and native?

You have to keep holding start and select as you start the game up in order to run native, not just press them like you normally would. There doesn't seem to be any toggling. It defaults to full-screen.

Chorazin

I have my 3DS and games on order with Amazon, but if it's not in Shipping Soon on Sunday I might check the K-mart down the street from me and see if they got any in. If they do, I'll get that and a game and cancel my Amazon order.

The $25 off a game will cancel my sales tax plus knock about $10 off the game.

I always wondered, how big is the box? It seems kind of big in pictures but is it something that can fit in a normal sized plastic bag (just for reference)?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just got my copy of Ridge Racer 3DS in the mail.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Deadly Monk said:
Got mine! They've been shipped to most stores already and the rest are coming tomorrow. Go check your mom and pop stores!!! Time to go play with this baby :)

I see a Blue 3DS, Crysis 2 for PC and Okamiden.

You sir, have taste.

ronniehehehaha said:
I ordered both color because I can't decide. I am leaning toward keeping the blue one and cancel the black.

Can anyone confirm if the Game and Watch visualizer in the sound app is playable? If so, is there any other playable visualizer?
Yes you can. You can also play the Star Fox looking visualizer as well.

BY2K said:
I see a Blue 3DS, Crysis 2 for PC and Okamiden.

You sir, have taste.

Crysis 2 will be ignored...for now. But I'm going to try Okamiden on the 3DS right after I play with the in-game apps for a while.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Deadly Monk said:
photo.jpg

What city? There's only one mom n' pop shop in Toronto that breaks release dates early. Other than that, Shoppers is the only other shop that really doesn't know about release dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom