• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

GregLombardi said:
Yeah I switched to Ghost Recon for the same reason, but now Amir0x has me questioning if I should get Rayman since I never played the original. GRRRR.

Unless this port is bugged to hell, buy it, you won't regret, its the best platformer of its era, of of the best 3d platformer ever.

Effect said:
True there is this to consider. Annoying for sure though.
Personally I think I would be more annoyed getting random friend requests from people I don't know, having to turn them down, potentially repeatedly unless there's a "block" system in place too...

Luigi87

I went and ordered Rayman 3D...
Ubisoft, sure, but... Well I've never played Rayman 2, and I love platformers of the era, so why not...

... I lord I hope I don't get buyers remorse.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lonely1 said:
The official Mexican price is a fucking joke (about the same as an iPad 2). And importers are already jacking up prices. Do you guys believe I will be able to pick up one form a store by mid May in San Francisco? (Google event).
It could be hard to find like the Wii or it could be everywhere like the original DS. No one knows - specially considering how we don't even know where the thing is fabricated (do we?), and for all we know some parts could come from earthquake-struck Japan.

Effect

UncleSporky said:
Personally I think I would be more annoyed getting random friend requests from people I don't know, having to turn them down, potentially repeatedly unless there's a "block" system in place too...

There is that. While normally you'd have to give or post your code. Someone could just put in codes are random and people would get request. Though they could still do that and just be watching you without your knowledge. Question is which is worse. At least with a request system if you didn't agree it should stop the other person from being able to monitor you. That bugs me a bit more. What happens when codes get passed. You give it to one friend and then they pass it on to someone else without your knowledge, etc.

Brazil said:
It could be hard to find like the Wii or it could be everywhere like the original DS. No one knows - specially considering how we don't even know where the thing is fabricated (do we?), and for all we know some parts could come from earthquake-struck Japan.
The big difference between the Wii/DS launch and the 3DS launch is that the 3DS is launching in March, so there aren't any holiday shoppers.

UncleSporky said:

I don't have this problem on any other request based systems, PS3, 360, Facebook, Steam, etc.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Chorazin said:
There is one in the box. Enjoy!

Now that I think about it, let's say we take out all the AR Games and Face Raider from the 3DS, take out the SD Card and the AC Adapter and Nintendo could sell the 3DS at 200$, no?

That makes the price more reasonable in my head.

BY2K said:
Now that I think about it, let's say we take out all the AR Games and Face Raider from the 3DS, take out the SD Card and the AC Adapter and Nintendo could sell the 3DS at 200$, no?

That makes the price more reasonable in my head.

I'd rather take out the cradle than the AC Adapter.

frogg609

Cosmo Black purchased with the multipart case that's been shown on here a bunch, Ridge Racer, and Ghost Recon.

I feel weak, but I'm excited.

Too bad I won't get the console til Wednesday when Amazon delivers it.

Matt

BY2K said:
No. All those things are there to create value to justify the price. They have very little impact on what the price is.

Chorazin

jamesinclair said:
No pictochat? WTF Nintendo. Worst launch ever.

That and loading times for old DS titles.

What are they thinking?

You mean the extra few seconds it takes to boot DS games, right? There is no difference in the speed of the game once it's up and running.

CO_Andy

Is it okay to use a flash card with the 3DS for old games?

Is there no video player in this thing?

Is the speaker audio quality comparable to a DSi?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Broken Ska Record said:
The big difference between the Wii/DS launch and the 3DS launch is that the 3DS is launching in March, so there aren't any holiday shoppers.
That's another factor, yeah.

B.K.

HiroProtagonist said:
It's like the original iphone dock. The adapter plugs into the cradle in the back.

I don't have an iPhone. I just assumed that the power cord was but into the cradle.

Well done OP.

I'm getting a black 3DS from GS, then heading over to Toys R Us to grab some games (as long as the deal is actually going on). I plan to buy SSFIV, Lego Star Wars, Pilotwings + Ghost Recon. 4 more days!

The Broken Ska Record said:
True, but the Wii shortages went on for an entire year, long beyond the holiday season. And the DS Lite was when the DS shortages really happened, that was released in June.

_woLf

Blue 3DS with Pilotwings and Super Monkey Ball. Assuming I can take advantage of the Toys R Us deal, may pick up Lego Star Wars and either Nintendogs or Ridge Racer.

Can't wait!

dvolovets

Just heard from Amazon re: changing shipping options.
From your E-mail, I understand that you'd like to change the shipping method for your order.

You can change it, if you find the Overnight option. You can't be pushed back in the queue if you do it.

I can confirm that it won't affect your status in the queue.
Overnight shipping it is, then. :D

wwm0nkey

Picked up Rayman and am going to return it later today, didn't open it yet.

Just going to do that Toys R US deal and get Ghost Recon and then get Rayman for only $20, I mean hell even if it is crap it will only be $20.

That or might do something else but have no idea what else I should get :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Naked Snake said:
It's one of the most fun games I ever played. Buy it. It's very cheap even new: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HE9LL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Question: Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a USB charger with the 3DS?

I live in 220v land and I'm importing a US 3DS, which means I have to use a stepdown converter for the charger and that is cumbersome. I thought I'd buy 230v DSi charger and use that instead, but then I realized there are USB chargers for DSi that are a simple cable for a penny. Since I always have a laptop or a computer on, it would be great if I could just use the USB cable to charge the 3DS, but I wonder if it takes longer to charge or damage or shorten the battery's life?

I've used a USB cable on and off with the DSi since launch and I've not noticed any difference.

DownLoad

So pissed that it comes out on Sunday... Leaving for Europe for a month Saturday afternoon ><.

Ended up having to pre-order and ship it to a friend (non-gaming friend to ensure she doesn't use it ^^). So at least I'll have one when I get back... haha

But we've seen videos of Rayman in play, how much worse can the port get? Unless the bits we've seen are the only parts of the game using Dreamcast graphics and a decent frame rate. Maybe they mapped all the controls to the touchscreen for some reason? Cut it into two games so halfway through it stops with a "to be continued"? Each level starts with 4 minutes of loading time?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Bisnic said:
my-body-is-ready.png

wwm0nkey

Again guys if you are still courious about Rayman do what I am doing, Get a good scoring game, in this case Ghost Recon at Toys R US and then get Rayman for only $20

So far my list is

SSFIV
Pilotwings
Ghost Recon
Rayman

MrMephistoX

DownLoad said:
So pissed that it comes out on Sunday... Leaving for Europe for a month Saturday afternoon ><.

Ended up having to pre-order and ship it to a friend (non-gaming friend to ensure she doesn't use it ^^). So at least I'll have one when I get back... haha

The batteries wouldn't have lasted over the course of the flight anyway ;) I'd say go for a midnight launch so you can get used to the jet-lag. Any time I fly overseas I either stay up until I fly out or stay awake after the flight ends till bed time depending on where I'm going. Being tired enough to pass out on the flight is my preferred way to go particularly if I'm flying on ANA or other Asian airlines where the booze is free ;)

On a side note I decided to not bet on black after all since every other console I own is the same color so metallic teal it is.

Za23

The Lamonster said:
Whats the best case/pouch out there? The HORI ones are the best sellers on Amazon right now.

For me I got the Pull and Go Folio for traveling and the Easy Pouch for every day use. I got the Pull and Go Folio in yesterday and I'm still waiting on the Easy Pouch. If you want I can post pictures of the Pull and Go Folio.

FoneBone

Dreamwriter said:
But we've seen videos of Rayman in play, how much worse can the port get? Unless the bits we've seen are the only parts of the game using Dreamcast graphics and a decent frame rate.

Or the video is selectively edited to hide points where the framerate drops horribly?

Dreamwriter said:
But we've seen videos of Rayman in play, how much worse can the port get? Unless the bits we've seen are the only parts of the game using Dreamcast graphics and a decent frame rate. Maybe they mapped all the controls to the touchscreen for some reason? Cut it into two games so halfway through it stops with a "to be continued"? Each level starts with 4 minutes of loading time?
Right, everyone knows exactly what they're getting into with this game. The only thing that could make it a low scorer is "it's been ported too many times" or "we don't like Ubisoft's efforts so we're scoring it low to make a statement."

dvolovets

What the fuck @ Rayman. :( I knew I shouldn't have been suckered into buying it with the on-and-off positive impressions. Dammit.

MrMephistoX said:
The batteries wouldn't have lasted over the course of the flight anyway ;)
Airplanes have power outlets in each seat, AFAIK.

dvolovets said:
What the fuck @ Rayman. :( I knew I shouldn't have been suckered into buying it with the on-and-off positive impressions. Dammit.
Why is everyone saying this all of a sudden? Is it nothing more than a knee-jerk to the single meaningless link above to one inconsequential review saying they scored it low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom