• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MoxManiac said:
How do DS games look on the 3DS?
In upscaled mode:
Colors were fixed thanks to a FW update so they're no longer muted.
Due to the upscaling, it doesn't look quite as sharp/detailed as on DS.

In 1:1 pixel mode:
Colors, see above.
Super sharp, much like the GB Micro.
The only con of course is the small viewing area. Micro again. Other than that, best way to play for picture quality.

In my case, I prefer the detail that DSi and XL give, especially with games with nice pixel artwork so I still play DSiWare and DS games on them only.

well fuck man, I just bought a dsi for 150 at gamestop a month ago, since I didn't want to spend another hundred for the 3ds. Now I am stuck wondering if I should sell the dsi and go for an upgrade. Does gamestop or any other store offer some kind of trade in upgrade option?

Arnie

£130 is a much more realistic price for the system. If I could find a Zelda bundle for that price I may be tempted.

Ah, man. I THINK I asked this question in here the other day, but the thread exploded into a multitude of pages and I actually can't find my own post. Ludicrous. So, if you could pardon the stupidity, I'd much appreciate it if anyone could tell me if there are any other vendors besides Play-Asia that will ship a 3DS internationally? And will Play-Asia stock at RRP, or slightly higher?

Page 59. Got it.

I'm not sure if I should buy this 3DS for £155 now and get the 20 free games. If the free games are about £5~ then that's worth £100 in total. Or I could wait until it's £130, saving £25 but losing out on the 20 free games.

Dammit Nintendo...

Spiffy_1st said:
I'm not sure if I should buy this 3DS for £155 now and get the 20 free games. If the free games are about £5~ then that's worth £100 in total. Or I could wait until it's £130, saving £25 but losing out on the 20 free games.

Dammit Nintendo...

I'd buy it - you get the system now, and you should get significantly more back in terms of what's on offer for the Ambassador rewards. I can't imagine the GBA games being priced at less than £4.70 when they go on sale (as they undoubtedly will at some point in the future) and the NES titles will probably be around £2-3 each. Worst-case scenario, you get maybe around £67 worth of games for that extra £25 you spend now.

YourMaster

Spiffy_1st said:

Dammit Nintendo...

But how much are YOU willing to spent for these 20 games?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Spiffy_1st said:

Dammit Nintendo...
Depends if you think rom dumps of 25-year old NES games are worth $5 each.

wrowa

julls said:
Depends if you think rom dumps of 25-year old NES games are worth $5 each.
Most people are interested in the ROM dumbs of GBA games, though. What we know so far of the line-up is easily worth £25.

I just wondered if Aria of Sorrow would be free but then remembered I already had it
for free
anyway.

I'm sorry Nintendo, I really want to want the 3DS but there's nothing for me. I know you've got Ocarina of Time but I've played through that countless times already.

jgkspsx

So, my fellow Americans... maybe you have some insight into Best Buy.

I have a reward zone coupon for a $25 gift card with a $250 purchase. If I use this for my 3DS, will they block me from getting the $80 refund?

It would be awesome if I could pay $250 - $25 - $10 RZ certs - $80 refund, but is that just a crazy dream?

jgkspsx said:

I have a reward zone coupon for a $25 gift card with a $250 purchase. If I use this for my 3DS, will they block me from getting the $80 refund?

It would be awesome if I could pay $250 - $25 - $10 RZ certs - $80 refund, but is that just a crazy dream?

Crazy Dream indeed. You'll only get back $45.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jgkspsx said:

They'll most likely won't let you do this, I wouldn't risk it.

BTW, CheapyD has an trustful source that told him that Walmart is dropping the price on August 9th...get your free games and price drop without PM'ing business

Wario64 said:

BTW, CheapyD has an trustful source that told him that Walmart is dropping the price on August 9th...get your free games and price drop without PM'ing business
I wonder if Amazon will follow suite and ship early?

1-D_FTW

Wario64 said:

Surprised everyone isn't doing this. Just eliminates the hassle on everyone's part. Retailer & consumer. Nintendo will be reimbursing retailers anyway.

Huff

Banned
wrowa said:
Most people are interested in the ROM dumbs of GBA games, though. What we know so far of the line-up is easily worth £25.

How many of those people will just jailbreak the device for the gba emulator that will eventually run on it. Now is it worth the money?

Interfectum

Spiffy_1st said:

Dammit Nintendo...

Those games are nowhere near worth that value no matter what price Nintendo slaps on it.

Interfectum said:
Those games are nowhere near worth that value no matter what price Nintendo slaps on it.

Quality should factor into value more than age, and there's a hell of a lot of quality in the list of games being offered so far.

From CheapyD at Cheapassgamer.com

According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

I'll be getting one on August 9th.

Will you?

wrowa

BroHuffman said:
How many of those people will just jailbreak the device for the gba emulator that will eventually run on it. Now is it worth the money?
It is rather nonsensical to compare a service that is being offered officially with an half-legal emulator that might be offered inofficially in a few months or years time.

In order to use an emulator legally -- or in a way that is accepted by the GAF rules -- you have to own the games on cartridge anyway, so your point only is viable if you already own all of the games.

1-D_FTW

Deadly Joker said:
From CheapyD at Cheapassgamer.com

I'll be getting one on August 9th.

Will you?

Probably. Searching for the Excitebike 3D thread looking for impressions. Not thrilled one bit with the 3DS system, but those ROMS (especially the NES) are aimed directly at my weak point and Nintendo is blasting away at my hit points. No way I'll buy Pilotwings or Zelda for more than 19.99, but the ROMs are calling me. Gonna have to research more of what's coming to their DD system first. My opinion that retail sucks hasn't changed one bit, but it's not a bad deal if I can squeeze enough out of the DD system in the future (And Mario 3D).

MrDaravon

Yeah, me and my wife are going to take advantage of the $170 hitting Walmart for sure. I figure that there's little chance of another price drop before Paper Mario 3DS, so if we can get it now for likely the same price and get the free games might as well. If this turns out to be false though we'll pass for now, really don't want to muck around with return or adjustment issues.

Javier

If you can get the price drop AND the 20 free games and you're the least bit interested in the 3DS I say go for it. You probably won't be getting a better deal in a loooong time.

wrowa

Branduil said:
Does the 3DS' music player have a shuffle option?
I can't test it right now, but don't buy the 3DS if you want to use it as a music player. It's rather crappy, even with earphones the volume is annoyingly low :/

1-D_FTW

Branduil said:

Pretty sure I asked this after launch and the answer was no. Or maybe it was if there was a sound leveling feature. Actually, it may have been no to both.

Branduil said:
Yes. Of course it does.

You can shuffle between every single song on the SD card, shuffle within specific albums or playlists or have your bird friend (the music player guide) pick songs for you, presented as his choice of the day. The software also notes what you listen to and dynamically creates playlists, ranging from most played lists to mood lists. It's not bad software all-in, the visualisers are cool.

jgkspsx

Well, I got mine. The Best Buy coupon excluded video game hardware. I missed it in the list of 80 not-included products the first three times I looked. Man are Best Buy coupons worthless.

maeda

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Yes. Of course it does.

You can shuffle between every single song on the SD card, shuffle within specific albums or playlists or have your bird friend (the music player guide) pick songs for you, presented as his choice of the day. The software also notes what you listen to and dynamically creates playlists, ranging from most played lists to mood lists. It's not bad software all-in, the visualisers are cool.
Music app is actually pretty fun, too bad the sound is too low. Hopefully Nintendo will update it!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
maeda said:
Music app is actually pretty fun, too bad the sound is too low. Hopefully Nintendo will update it!
The volume on 3DS in general is absurdly low.

There are some things in the design that I am sure are like that so they can "fix it" with 3DS Lite :p

fernoca

mightynine said:
Would BB pricematch Walmart? Because I've got a $50 Best Buy giftcard just sitting here doing nothing.
Technically every store is going to price match Wal-Mart...3 days later. :p
And you can buy it now on Best Buy with the gift card and get the $80 back on August 12 too. :p

Izayoi

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Pretty sure I asked this after launch and the answer was no. Or maybe it was if there was a sound leveling feature. Actually, it may have been no to both.
Yes to both, actually. You can shuffle by folder or by entire collection, IIRC. There are also lots of sound manipulation options.

maeda said:
BocoDragon said:
The volume on 3DS in general is absurdly low.

There are some things in the design that I am sure are like that so they can "fix it" with 3DS Lite :p
The "low" sound is caused by the audio output settings. Go into System Options (on the Home menu) and change it from "Surround" to "Stereo". Do the same in the 3DS Sound application.

I've been playing Yoshi's Island DS on my 3DS. The graphics seems to lend themselves pretty well to the 3DS' stretch/smooth of DS games.

Popped it and popped it in my XL later in the day...jesus christ I always forget how massive the screens on that thing are. Think I'm gonna box up my DS Lite and just keep the XL and 3DS out--XL for DS games at home and 3DS games for 3DS games at home and 3DS/DS titles on the go.

Top Bottom