• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Sadist

Cygnus X-1 said:
3DS has 5 good games? Wow, I though only Ocarina of Time 3D and Street Fighter were decent. What are the other 3?
I assume they're talking about Ghost Recon, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Ridge Racer/Resident Evil the Mercenaries.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't know where to ask so maybe someone can help me.

Is the Eshop stuff account or console based?

Say, if I download the free games, are they linked to my email address or/and user account or are they just uploaded to the console and played from there, like the Wii?

Majine

Banned
Thinking of picking up a 3DS here in Japan after the pricecut, cause they have the red one, duh.

My japanese is so-so, but I guess that's not a big issue when playing Mario Kart so eh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sphinx said:
I don't know where to ask so maybe someone can help me.

Is the Eshop stuff account or console based?

Say, if I download the free games, are they linked to my email address or/and user account or are they just uploaded to the console and played from there, like the Wii?

Console based like the Wii, but the transfer utility should allow stuff bought on one 3DS to be transfered to another 3DS eventually. Of course, they haven't confirmed if the GBA/NES ambassador games will be transferable or not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stumpokapow said:
Console based like the Wii, but the transfer utility should allow stuff bought on one 3DS to be transfered to another 3DS eventually. Of course, they haven't confirmed if the GBA/NES ambassador games will be transferable or not.
Didn't the Japanese press release specifically state that they won't be transferable?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dallow_bg said:
Didn't the Japanese press release specifically state that they won't be transferable?

I read someone's summary of someone else's translation so I didn't want to be definitive, but yes that's why I made a note to say that those specific games weren't confirmed as transferable.

sphinx

the piano man
Stumpokapow said:

Thanks! :)

Maybe is a bit of a stupid question but do you guys think that the 3DS's 2 GB internal space is enough to have all the 20 NES/GBA games stored at once.

I know NES games are so small that the 3DS could probably have the whole +1000 NES library stored in there but I am not so sure about the GBA.

any estimates regarding the size of GBA games?

Futureman

dallow_bg said:

Ambassadors will eventually be able to download the retail versions of the NES games we are getting. At that point, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to transfer to a new system. I think the transfer limitation is based of the fact that the games are described as "beta" ROMs or whatever. Not sure about the GBA games though as those are described as exclusive to Ambassadors with no plans to release to consumers.

I bet though if you system breaks and you need a replacement, all this is moot and Nintendo will be able to transfer even the beta ROMs for you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sphinx said:
Maybe is a bit of a stupid question but do you guys think that the 3DS's 2 GB internal space is enough to have all the 20 NES/GBA games stored at once.

You won't run into any storage issues.

any estimates regarding the size of GBA games?

The largest games are 32 Megabytes (256 Megabits). Launch games like, for example, Super Mario Advance or Chu Chu Rocket or F-Zero were mostly 4 Megabytes (32 Megabits).

Let's see what the GBA games are:
Metroid Fusion - 8 Megabytes
Mario Kart SC - 4 Megabytes
Mario vs DK - 16 Megabytes
Super Mario Advance 3 - 4 Megabytes
WarioWare Inc - 8 Megabytes.

Not sure what the other 5 are, but that's a total of 40 Megabytes for the 5 we know about, so around 2% of the DS's SD card space.

BowieZ

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure why you did this. The 3DS library isn't filled with hidden gems. People are aware of the high profile titles. The guy you're replying to isn't going to be blown away with your library or eat a pile of crow because he neglected to mention Let's Golf 3D. In fact, in reference to his "5 games" claim, you replied with a list that had... 5 retail 3DS games. You then listed a bunch of DS stuff which he can almost certainly have played on his DS(i), a bunch of Game Boy stuff which may or may not be something he's willing to get into and may or may not have been stuff he already owns from 20 years ago.

This doesn't address his concern, it just reflects that you have different tastes from him. There's nothing on your list that screams out being a hidden gem that the person you're quoting is likely to have ignored or missed due to lack of awareness.

But regardless of the reasons, when people say the system doesn't have enough yet for them to jump in, it's not a pernicious conspiracy to marginalize Nintendo's contribution to gaming, it's because what's available so far is not very robust. I'm sure there are people out there and on GAF that have console warrior type tendencies to the point that they could be presented with their dream lineup and they would still not buy a platform because it's made by the wrong manufacturer, but by and large the people expressing their opinions, positively or negatively, on the 3DS are being sincere in my estimation.
And I'm not sure why you did this because I was responding to the question in his post (though admittedly rhetorical), paraphrasing: "why would Nintendo expect people to buy this system regardless of the price drop when it doesn't have any [good] games?"

The answer is: it DOES have plenty of good games and an entire DS catalogue. And I bought the system for these games. And I believe Nintendo is under the impression I'm not unique.

Jokeropia

evilromero said:
This system needs real meat. When I see ports and remakes into the future it doesn't get my hopes up of a strong library.
What other ports and remakes are you referring to besides Star Fox?

Jokeropia said:
What other ports and remakes are you referring to besides Star Fox?
Not that I'm that bothered by itself myself or anything, as this type of thing is really typical for early on in a platform's life, but:
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
-Tales of the Abyss
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-BIT.TRIP Saga
-Cave Story

ShironRedshift said:
Not that I'm that bothered by itself myself or anything, as this type of thing is really typical for early on in a platform's life, but:
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
-Tales of the Abyss
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-BIT.TRIP Saga
-Cave Story

Luckily for me, the only game in that list I've played is the Bit Trip series, so I'm god a pallet of all new games to look forward to.

Top Bottom