• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS technical discuss thread: lets talk about this here

As long as we start to see decent AA become the standard rather than the exception, I don't think I'll have any problems with the 3DS's graphics.

Portugeezer

The three images with similar area, the same resolution and aspect ratio:

1f3i2.jpg

2vdh1.jpg

35f1o.jpg

The discussion about differences is as esoteric as those of PS360 games.

Looks about the same as the Wii, very minor difference in textures, but not bad for a port.

3DS being equal to GCN/Wii is good enough for me, no limits like the original DS had.

Chuckpebble

Is anyone else having lingering effects from the 3D affect their vision?

I bought a 3DS on Saturday. I've used it maybe 4 to 5 hours a day since then, mostly with the 3D turned on.

I noticed last night that I'm starting to see "3D" things on my regular laptop display. Like for example if I look at several rows of text sometimes they briefly appear to be on different planes. One row of text will appear to be recessed, etc. It seems to especially happen when looking at windows with dark borders or drop shadows. It's a little concerning, enough to where I might leave the 3D stuff on my 3DS turned off for the time being.

Yes. But its just a subtle thing that I notice with Windows XP text anti-aliasing. I don't notice it anywhere else, not even on my Mac at home. But the font smoothing on windows seems to make text float after using the 3DS.

M3d10n

Is anyone else having lingering effects from the 3D affect their vision?

I bought a 3DS on Saturday. I've used it maybe 4 to 5 hours a day since then, mostly with the 3D turned on.

I noticed last night that I'm starting to see "3D" things on my regular laptop display. Like for example if I look at several rows of text sometimes they briefly appear to be on different planes. One row of text will appear to be recessed, etc. It seems to especially happen when looking at windows with dark borders or drop shadows. It's a little concerning, enough to where I might leave the 3D stuff on my 3DS turned off for the time being.

I had that in the first day of use, never had it again. It's just a side effect of experience something that is completely new to your eyes. I remember when I was a kid and played a video game for 3 hours straight for the first time ever (it was Megaman X, I think) and I felt a bit dizzy and lightheaded afterwards.

Not really sure where to post this, let's start here.

Basically I'm trying to find and isolate the file on my SD card (if there is one) that stores my Mario Kart 7 channel data and transfer it to another SD card. Anyone with more experience than me able to help out?

Basically I've managed to end up with memory for my 3DS spread across two 2GB SD cards, but now I finally have a 32GB card and I'm trying to merge the data between the two old cards onto this one. Pictures, music and voice clips were easy because they are given their separate folders, and I was able to find and merge my save data for all my downloaded games from the Nintendo 3DS/...title/00040000/ folders, but can't find this last thing. It's not very important, but it would be nice to be able to hold on to the people I've streetpassed with on MK up till now.

sfried

As long as we start to see decent AA become the standard rather than the exception, I don't think I'll have any problems with the 3DS's graphics.

You know what would be a real nice challenge? AA in 3D. I'm pretty sure the folks at Shin'En could come up with something...

So I got a DSi/3DS multi-charger kit with car adapter, USB connector etc etc

my question: I have to travel to the USA soon(11hours flight) and I want to charge my 3DS on this flight. what are my (charging) options? (No, I won't be able to get a better/second akku for the 3DS till the flight.)
I will take my netbook with me. So is it possible to charge the 3DS via the USB charger (mentioned above) connected to the netbook(Asus) which runs on battery itself?

Are there power outlets in plane toilets(for razors and stuff)? I can't remember.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Fixed:

<snip>

;)
Heh, good job whoever did it. That does not invalidate the use of epoxy as a standard anti-tempering measure though ; )

On a sidenote, Revelations has very nice AA in 2D mode. Perhaps the best I've seen on the system yet. So here's to hoping good AA in 2D becomes the norm on the platform *fingers crossed*

Are there power outlets in plane toilets(for razors and stuff)? I can't remember.
Business class should have all the outlets your hear desires ;p

Luigiv

Can someone explain what we are looking at here?

RAM dumping set up. I'm not 100% sure on it's exact workings (I assume it's hooked up to a PC*) but the end result is that'll he'll be able to read everything that get written to RAM.

*Edit: Yeah just spotted the usb cable, so this seems to be the case.

watershed

Banned
The SD card for my 3ds just stopped working. I think the data was corrupted or something and everything has been lost. Now it won't even create new data for spotpass or streetpass and all the games and apps I had on it are gone. Any suggestions on what I should do? This sucks btw.

Luigiv

The SD card for my 3ds just stopped working. I think the data was corrupted or something and everything has been lost. Now it won't even create new data for spotpass or streetpass and all the games and apps I had on it are gone. Any suggestions on what I should do? This sucks btw.

Reformat the card I guess. You can redownload all your apps from the eshop again but you'll lose all your #pass data and app save data.

And with that, I'm going to back up my SD card now.

blu

RAM dumping set up. I'm not 100% sure on it's exact workings (I assume it's hooked up to a PC*) but the end result is that'll he'll be able to read everything that get written to RAM.

*Edit: Yeah just spotted the usb cable, so this seems to be the case.
Yeah. Looks like a man-in-the-middle bus logger.

Depending on what nintendo learned from their wii lessons, that setup can be very helpful or as useless as a sheet of paper stuck in the same place. Either way, its a necessary facility in the process, just as epoxy is a necessary measure in the counter-process ; )

Luigiv

Depending on what nintendo learned from their wii lessons, that setup can be very helpful or as useless as a sheet of paper stuck in the same place. Either way, its a necessary facility in the process, just as epoxy is a necessary measure in the counter-process ; )

Yeah, as long as Nintendo doesn't fill in the extra RAM space with signing key in BC mode, I don't think we're going to see the same exploit present itself.

ksamedi

Yesterday, I dropped my 3DS. Since then my 3DS gives the black screen of death every time I want to start up a game. To be more specific, a problem has occurred message pops up and I have to close the system off. It doesn't happen when the wifi is turned off, only when its turned on. I have the latest firmware updates. Anyone every have this problem? What can I do about it?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know what would be a real nice challenge? AA in 3D. I'm pretty sure the folks at Shin'En could come up with something...

It's my only complaint about the system graphically. Certain games look jaggie as fuck in 3d, and I'm not a 3d lover yet I've started out liking the 3d on the system. It just sucks not having the smooth graphics of 2d.

blu

So future reference how do I move all my 3ds data from one sd card to another? Can I just drag and drop?
Yes.

To return to the Revelations topic, I was a bit surprised to see that not only the character model handles two light sources, but some environmental objects too have a specular component from two sources. It appears specular is really cheap on the pica, as virtually everything, including things I'd not expect has specular from at least one source.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I got a DSi/3DS multi-charger kit with car adapter, USB connector etc etc

my question: I have to travel to the USA soon(11hours flight) and I want to charge my 3DS on this flight. what are my (charging) options? (No, I won't be able to get a better/second akku for the 3DS till the flight.)
I will take my netbook with me. So is it possible to charge the 3DS via the USB charger (mentioned above) connected to the netbook(Asus) which runs on battery itself?

netbook should be fine but a bit unwieldy - you probably will need to keep it awake to keep charging.

Or try an emergency charger - you can buy something like a power monkey at the airport which will have a USB socket that will connect to your USB charger.

On our recent trip to Japan on BA, even the economy seats had USB sockets in them for charging. Seems fairly recent though so the luck of the draw.

M3d10n

Yesterday, I dropped my 3DS. Since then my 3DS gives the black screen of death every time I want to start up a game. To be more specific, a problem has occurred message pops up and I have to close the system off. It doesn't happen when the wifi is turned off, only when its turned on. I have the latest firmware updates. Anyone every have this problem? What can I do about it?

The wifi chip is not soldered and is attached internally via a port. It probably got dislodged in the impact and is not connected properly anymore. No amount of firmware updates is going to fix a physical problem, you have to open it (or get someone to do it) and see what's wrong.

I'm almost certain the 3DS has the decryption keys inside the CPU/SOC. I think the DSi already did this: the firmware was never decrypted and the system was never rooted.

BDGAME

A little off topic, but today I try to make a research to try to find the max amount of polygons per second that ps2 can put in a game (not the peak of 66mps). Did anyone here know it? And the PSP?

Dreamcast is 6mp/s, NGC is 20 mp/s and XBOX is 30 mp/s.

netbook should be fine but a bit unwieldy - you probably will need to keep it awake to keep charging.

Or try an emergency charger - you can buy something like a power monkey at the airport which will have a USB socket that will connect to your USB charger.

On our recent trip to Japan on BA, even the economy seats had USB sockets in them for charging. Seems fairly recent though so the luck of the draw.

thanks. hopefully I'll have USB sockets in the seat

Luigiv

Yes.

To return to the Revelations topic, I was a bit surprised to see that not only the character model handles two light sources, but some environmental objects too have a specular component from two sources. It appears specular is really cheap on the pica, as virtually everything, including things I'd not expect has specular from at least one source.

Yeah I noticed the 2 light sources on the characters but I didn't realise the same went for the environment too.

Interestingly enough, when using the touch screen to pan the Camera around Jill, the lighting and shadows shift and change. That suggests to me there using some sort of shortcut on the lighting. Can anyone figure out what would cause that?

A little off topic, but today I try to make a research to try to find the max amount of polygons per second that ps2 can put in a game (not the peak of 66mps). Did anyone here know it? And the PSP?

About 10mp/s. Could be a bit higher but as far as I know, that's the highest figure publicly disclosed.

sfried

It's my only complaint about the system graphically. Certain games look jaggie as fuck in 3d, and I'm not a 3d lover yet I've started out liking the 3d on the system. It just sucks not having the smooth graphics of 2d.
We've already have Zen Pinball have this. Mario Kart 7 had some smoothening to some extent too. Once developers get a hold of using framebuffers to create faux AA or tap more into the second core we might start to see more 3D with AA on the 3DS. They just have to standardize 60fps in 3D first.

Luigiv

Any idea what PSP or Wii are?

I assume the Wii is about 30mp/s, just going by the fact it's 1.5x faster than the GCN but I don't have any hard numbers to confirm this.

I wouldn't have a clue about the PSP beyond the fact that it's considerably lower than the PS2.

using framebuffers to create faux AA

The fuck is this? You've got it backwards. FB based AA is real AA. Post processing AA is faux AA.

Access to the second ARM11 MPcore won't lead to improved IQ either.

Luigiv

Err sorry. Got it mixed up.

Anyways, more developers could implement 60fps in 3D with AA. It's not impossible as we've seen.

They won't. 3D + AA + 60fps consumes a fuck ton of pixels. Devs would be forced to use very simplistic graphics with highly optimised code in order to pull of such a target. It's just not going to happen.

Maybe if the 3DS supported MSAA we might see it happen more often but it doesn't so it's SSAA or nothing.

They won't. 3D + AA + 60fps consumes a fuck ton of pixels. Devs would be forced to use very simplistic graphics with highly optimised code in order to pull of such a target. It's just not going to happen.

Maybe if the 3DS supported MSAA we might see it happen more often but it doesn't so it's SSAA or nothing.
Didn't the original DS have some sort of AA that was basically free?

wazoo

Dreamcast is much lower. 2M max for 99% of its games. For many reasons, the max pol of its processor can not be reached, like 1/ Dreamcast has no dedicated FPU, so the sH4 has to stop doing math when doing other things and 2/ polygon list had to be stored in the VRAM before being processed and 3/ balance between pol and textures had to be achieved for the very same reason (no temporary streaming of textures into the VRAM).

For the ps2, you have to do research on Naughty Dog games, they are probably the peak games of ps2, especially Jak3.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I assume the Wii is about 30mp/s, just going by the fact it's 1.5x faster than the GCN but I don't have any hard numbers to confirm this.

I wouldn't have a clue about the PSP beyond the fact that it's considerably lower than the PS2.

The fuck is this? You've got it backwards. FB based AA is real AA. Post processing AA is faux AA.

Access to the second ARM11 MPcore won't lead to improved IQ either.

Can you explain this?

blu

Yeah I noticed the 2 light sources on the characters but I didn't realise the same went for the environment too.

Interestingly enough, when using the touch screen to pa the Camera around Jill, the lighting and shadows shift and change. That suggests to me there using some sort of shortcut on the lighting. Can anyone figure out what would cause that?
I did not notice any shortcuts, perhaps if you name a certain location?

What I did notice is that Jill always takes two light sources, and it seems that occasionally, when the environment does not provide two prominent sources, there is a 'default' point-of-view source - perhaps that's what makes you think it looked off when rotating the cam? But shadows were always of fixed orientation - always from an environmental source.

Curiously enough, I also noticed a 'rogue' light source - in the foggy dining room, once you enter it, move a few steps in, then turn at 4 o'clock to the right and look at the ceiling (I used the cam pan) - there's a cyan-ish specular component on the ceiling, as if there's a light source further away on that ceiling, even though the room's wall starts there and there's no recognizable source.

ed: Ok, I think I know what you were referring to speaking of shadows moving - during the final torchlight section, when you pan the cam, the torchlight 'beam' moves with it, but that movement is limited only to the front hemisphere of the character. I think that's just a gameplay design choice.

ed': Seems I was wrong - Jill takes up to three light sources, and one of them is usually the camera-fixated one. One can verify that in the small room before the ship's control room. That small room has two prominent light sources on the opposite walls, above the doors - a red and a green source.

Luigiv

I did not notice any shortcuts, perhaps if you name a certain location?

What I did notice is that Jill always takes two light sources, and it seems that occasionally, when the environment does not provide two prominent sources, there is a 'default' point-of-view source - perhaps that's what makes you think it looked off when rotating the cam? But shadows were always of fixed orientation - always from an environmental source.

Curiously enough, I also noticed a 'rogue' light source - in the foggy dining room, once you enter it, move a few steps in, then turn at 4 o'clock to the right and look at the ceiling (I used the cam pan) - there's a cyan-ish specular component on the ceiling, as if there's a light source further away on that ceiling, even though the room's wall starts there and there's no recognizable source.

Yeah the point in bold would describe what it looks like. A lighting source that fixed in reference to the camera. Noticed it whilst panning around Jill whilst she was standing in the little nook in front of the first permanently locked door. Also, when I said shadows I didn't mean the project volumetric shadows, I meant the phong shading caused shadows. I should have clarified that, my bad.

Can you explain this?

Well first things first, so we're all on the same page, Jaggies are caused by unnaturally high contrast between adjacent pixels. When contrast is high, we see the pixels for what they physically are, little squares. When contrast is low, our brains stop see the squares and starts interpolating smooth lines. Hence antialiasing works by eliminating regions of immediate contrast.

Real AA reduces contrast by taking multiple colour samples from within the pixel region and averages them to give you a more accurate representation of that pixel. Real AA eliminates Jaggies by increasing the detail and accuracy of the image. This is accurate to how AA works in our own eyes and photography, hence why I call it real.

Post processing AA, on the other hand, reduces contrast by grabbing colour samples from adjacent pixels on mixing them together. In other words it's just blurs the image, compromising accuracy and detail of the image. It's pretty much cheating, hence why I call it faux. It doesn't work the way AA is suppose to really work.

BDGAME

About 10mp/s. Could be a bit higher but as far as I know, that's the highest figure publicly disclosed.

Thanks.

Dreamcast is much lower. 2M max for 99% of its games. For many reasons, the max pol of its processor can not be reached, like 1/ Dreamcast has no dedicated FPU, so the sH4 has to stop doing math when doing other things and 2/ polygon list had to be stored in the VRAM before being processed and 3/ balance between pol and textures had to be achieved for the very same reason (no temporary streaming of textures into the VRAM).

For the ps2, you have to do research on Naughty Dog games, they are probably the peak games of ps2, especially Jak3.

http://www.segatech.com/technical/polygons/index.html

I don't know where I read that Metropolis Street Racer have 6mp/s in game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err sorry. Got it mixed up.

Anyways, more developers could implement 60fps in 3D with AA. It's not impossible as we've seen.
There aren't any games doing this as far as I'm aware. 60 fps is insanely rare on 3DS and the few games that support it don't seem to use any AA.

I don't know where I read that Metropolis Street Racer have 6mp/s in game.
Flat buildings and simplistic car models suggest otherwise.

BDGAME

There aren't any games doing this as far as I'm aware. 60 fps is insanely rare on 3DS and the few games that support it don't seem to use any AA.

msr_0116_screen006.jpg

I don't think it so simplistic like you say.

DCKing

It seems to me that the 3DS is more than capable of replicating the Wind Waker look. Do you guys think that the 3DS would have trouble doing this?

Because I'd love Zelda 3DS continue the PH and ST style by actually looking like the Wind Waker.

M3d10n

Zen Pinball reaches 60fps in very rare occasions when using the manual camera to look at the table. Since the AA in that game is completely overkill (it's actually rendering at 800x480 internally) maybe it could be done with a smaller level of supersampling (600x360, as example), as long as the game doesn't use any shaders or post-processing.

I'm also sure the PICA200 architecture is not compatible with MSAA. It seems some features use additional deferred buffers which wouldn't work with MSAA, like the shadows. SSAA is the only way to get AA.

Marco1

It seems to me that the 3DS is more than capable of replicating the Wind Waker look. Do you guys think that the 3DS would have trouble doing this?

Because I'd love Zelda 3DS continue the PH and ST style by actually looking like the Wind Waker.

No, I can't see any reason why it couldn't and I am sure we will see some sort of iteration of it soon, please Nintendo make it happen!

Bullza2o

It seems to me that Nintendo is focusing on N64 remakes at the moment. What we could perhaps see is an HD remake of WW for Wii U.
People probably have played it on Dolphin already, but I don't have a gaming PC so I shall wait

Top Bottom