• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again

Why would they stop if people buy them?

Updated ports are pretty much done by everyone anyway, so I don't get why you would single out Nintendo in this instance

While I imagine it'll do well, being labeled as a re-release might not sit too well as a new entry would.
It'll be an evergreen title, but I'm not sure if it'll outsell Wii U's best selling game so easily since it already sold 8M units.
Depends on how big Switch gets, I imagine.

Mario Kart is HUGE. Like, quite possibly the biggest franchise Nintendo has at the moment. If the Switch stays it's current sales course, then there are going to be a lot of people owning a Switch who haven't played a Mario Kart game since MK Wii, a game that sold 36 million units. The ceiling is high, absurdly high, for this game.

That free games deal was amazing

I'm pretty sure that deal helped people buy MK8 back then. I got Wii Party U out of it since it was the only game I didn't have out of the selected games (NA here!). Yeah, the NA selection sucked compared to the EU selection which had MH3U and Wonderful 101. Hell, I would have taken Game and Wario or Sonic Lost World at the time for free just to try them out. I mainly did the promotion since it was free Club Nintendo points. I never really played Wii Party U and ended up deleting it to save space.

How does Nintendo get away with repeating the same games time and time again. Props to them for having people buy the same stuff over and over again

I5aR4yX.gif

Yes of course but I don't understand the appeal of a port.

A lot of people skipped the Wii U and it has more content that you can now take on the go.

It's one of the most polished games ever made and it was on one of Nintendo's worst selling systems.
It has an entirely new battle mode.
It's enhanced by the form factor of the Switch.

Pick one

Seik

Banned

Yes, Nintendo are the only ones doing remasters and yet they are the only company that manages to sell them successfully.

They shouldn't get away with that, you're right, bankruptcy would teach those nasty doo-doos! If they go under, the market and competition would end up in a better place.

/S

TS-08

Here's how I predict this will go:

1. Someone will explain that it has new content and other changes, but more importantly, it released on the Wii U which sold poorly, so it'll be a new game to many people.

2. You will question why someone who is interested in buying Mario Kart now didn't do so on the Wii U.

3. People will explain that the Switch is far more compelling and is likely to sell more.

4. You will appear unconvinced of that, and think this is just Nintendo milking its fans who will buy whatever it releases.

5. This will go back and forth and we'll get nowhere.

sam12

Yes, Nintendo are the only ones doing remasters and yet they are the only company that manages to sell them successfully.

They shouldn't get away with that, you're right, bankruptcy would teach those nasty doo-doos! If they go under, the market and competition would end up in a better place.

/S

I said props to them for doing so, you obviously didn't read it entirely. It's a positive about their appeal that people still buy ports in large numbers

It helps improve the game far as performance goes, fixes battle mode, is in portable form, new characters and karts, has the DLC for people that didn't get it on cart, and is available on a system that people have when they didn't have a Wii U.

It's like The Last of Us: Remastered for some that didn't have a PS3. Most ports/remasters are done to allow more people to play the game and help the library of a console in its early days.

Hey guys, while we still can, how about we just ignore the annoying ass people who come in here to shit talk Nintendo for porting a game like that hasn't been the strategy of every console makers first year this generation.

It's pretty obvious trolling at this point. It happens in every MK8D thread.

Here's how I predict this will go:

1. Someone will explain that it has new content and other changes, but more importantly, it released on the Wii U which sold poorly, so it'll be a new game to many people.

2. You will question why someone who is interested in buying Mario Kart now didn't do so on the Wii U.

3. People will explain that the Switch is far more compelling and is likely to sell more.

4. You will appear unconvinced of that, and think this is just Nintendo milking its fans who will buy whatever it releases.

5. This will go back and forth and we'll get nowhere.

Already covered this one, you may have saved us the other steps though.

Hero

Tell us how you really feel.

ARMS thread
Looks boring

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development : Page 4

Probably some niche games that few people play
You're off to a bad start here. Not even digging since you have a meager 33 posts since being a member in 2011.

There's also this gem:

First screenshots of Bandai Namco's Code Vein (UE4, consoles, 2018) : Page 6

Now I truly hope it's a Scorpio exclusive. So much venom against Microsoft by certain people here. Please let go of the negativity

Maybe take your own advice?

Well it's a repeat of the same game released before.

Practically every single studio makes remasters nowadays.
Furthermore, what even is the problem with a remaster? They're cheap enough that they're not sapping resources from development of new games, and they preserve games for people to play on modern consoles.

People don't get up-in-arms when a movie that's already been out on DVD gets a Blu-Ray release. I have no idea why people don't think of game remasters in the same way.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If you genuinely want to understand the appeal of this Remaster, read this:

1. 1080p/60 fps while in docked mode in single player and two player modes (versus 720p/59* fps of Wii U version; *59 fps due to duplicate frame every 64th frame).

2. All 16 DLC tracks.

3. More characters (Inkling Girl & Inkling Boy from Splatoon, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.).

4. New battle mode with five events (Balloon Battle, Renegade Roundup, Bob-omb Blast, Coin Runners, and Shine Thief) and eight courses (Battle Stadium, Sweet Sweet Kingdom, Dragon Palace, Lunar Colony, Wuhu Town, Luigi's Mansion, Battle Course 1, and Urchin Underpass).

5. Three new vehicles.

6. Ability to carry two items simultaneously.

7. Additional items (Boo and feather).

8. New Smart Steering feature, you can play with a young kid and still have fun: you won't have to wait for minutes he finishes the course as he'll stay always on track

9. Time trial added in 200cc.

10. Up to 8-players with LAN.

11. Fire hopping cheat removed

12. All 32 tracks and 36 characters unlocked from the start.

13. Ability to change characters and karts in the online lobby.

14. Reduced load times for launching a race and at boot.

15. 3rd boost (after blue and red).

16. HD Rumble adds to the pleasure (accelerations and drifts can be felt)

17. It's playable on the go, on a vibrant screen. It's optimized to a point you can play 4P in splitscreen, with the tabletop configuration.

Sushigod7

Well it's a repeat of the same game released before.

Except its not read up on the release or just this page. Also no need to side track this is about Target marketing which is pretty cool. Hope they do more things like this in the future.

13ruce

Banned

Remember GTA V? Those ports sold pretty darn well so there certainly is interest in ports.

Same for alot of other ports not the same sales as GTA duh, but still pretty darn nice.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That jingle when the doors open is really neat.
May have to swing by my local Target when I go for errands later today

TheFuzz

I love this stuff. Nintendo doing well is shutting the mouths of so many people who swore they didn't "get it" anymore.

Gonna need blood pressure meds after all this salt.

Seik

Banned
All valid opinions of mine. Thank you for the roundup

'looks boring' is looking for trouble and isn't a 'valid' opinion.

When you have these kind of opinions at least explain why you think it looks boring instead of looking to be quoted with a shit drive-by inflammatory post.

This is pretty awesome, makes me want to check the 2 Targets in my area to see if they're gonna do it. Still, if more Switches don't come in, this won't be quite as effective as it could be. Mindshare eventually has to translate into money.

sam12

Practically every single studio makes remasters nowadays.
Furthermore, what even is the problem with a remaster? They're cheap enough that they're not sapping resources from development of new games, and they preserve games for people to play on modern consoles.

People don't get up-in-arms when a movie that's already been out on DVD gets a Blu-Ray release. I have no idea why people don't think of game remasters in the same way.

Nothing wrong at all in terms of business decision, and like I said good for them for getting sales. I personally would like new experiences like BOTW

That jingle when the doors open is really neat

Yeah, that is really neat. Target must be really wanting to sell copies of the game since they have that Puzzle Box (Rubix Cube) that comes with the game along with this marketing partnership with Nintendo.

I feel sorry for the staff having to hear it all day though aha

Nah, there's nothing better than hearing Mario say "Wahoo!" in succession and the start up sounds when there's many people coming through. :p

If you genuinely want to understand the appeal of this Remaster, read this:

1. 1080p/60 fps while in docked mode in single player and two player modes (versus 720p/59* fps of Wii U version; *59 fps due to duplicate frame every 64th frame).

2. All 16 DLC tracks.

3. More characters (Inkling Girl & Inkling Boy from Splatoon, King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.).

4. New battle mode with five events (Balloon Battle, Renegade Roundup, Bob-omb Blast, Coin Runners, and Shine Thief) and eight courses (Battle Stadium, Sweet Sweet Kingdom, Dragon Palace, Lunar Colony, Wuhu Town, Luigi's Mansion, Battle Course 1, and Urchin Underpass).

5. Three new vehicles.

6. Ability to carry two items simultaneously.

7. Additional items (Boo and feather).

8. New Smart Steering feature, you can play with a young kid and still have fun: you won't have to wait for minutes he finishes the course as he'll stay always on track

9. Time trial added in 200cc.

10. Up to 8-players with LAN.

11. Fire hopping cheat removed

12. All 32 tracks and 36 characters unlocked from the start.

13. Ability to change characters and karts in the online lobby.

14. Reduced load times for launching a race and at boot.

15. 3rd boost (after blue and red).

16. HD Rumble adds to the pleasure (accelerations and drifts can be felt)

Basically, it's a port + extra. So for existing customers there's material even they never got, and for anyone who missed out on 8, there is a LOT to play with here.

Nothing wrong at all in terms of business decision, and like I said good for them for getting sales. I personally would like new experiences like BOTW

Ok? So, what's the problem then.

Don't buy this, and move on with your life. It's not like the existence of this game kept another game from existing.

sam12

'looks boring' is looking for trouble and isn't a 'valid' opinion.

When you have these kind of opinions at least explain why you think it looks boring instead of looking to be quoted with a shit drive-by inflammatory post.

Because it does not seem to be an immersive fighter as Smash is, that's it. Either way we are taking this thread off topic thx to others rounding up my posts.

Kebiinu

Banned

How do Juniors get away with repeating the same opinion time and time again? Props to y'all for posting the same stuff over and over ad nauseum.

DeaDPo0L84

This is all fine and well but i still havent seem a switch in store post launch. Hopefully they have plans for stores to be stocked to maximize marketing benefits.

I feel sorry for the staff having to hear it all day though aha

Eh... I guess it depends on the Target. All the stores near me don't seem to have employees positioned anywhere near the doors.

I'm looking forward to seeing a wild roundup of Mario "carts" left at the entrance. People near me just like to leave stuff wherever and walk away...

Yeah, that is really neat. Target must be really wanting to sell copies of the game since they have that Puzzle Box (Rubix Cube) that comes with the game along with this marketing partnership with Nintendo.

I think they have a few other Mario Kart-related items as well! Their ad shows some kind of water bottle.

Top Bottom