• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces HarmoKnight (Gamefreak's eShop rhythm platformer)

also

Banned
I imagine this probably started out as an engine test for the 3DS.

Doesn't seem like it

From Iwata Asks:

-Game was the idea of GF employee James Turner (UK), 3D Graphic artist and designer of Vanilux-line and Vullaby.
-Around 1.5 years between original idea and now.
-Produced by Pokemon game director, Masuda.
- Masuda comments on difficult of starting non-Pokemon projects at the company due to the focus on Pokemon games.
-Game spent first 6 months being developed as a side-scrolling DS game
- Originally only had one playable character, but added more to allow for more variety in play styles. Now has 3.
- Thought hard about including Pokemon music as it may break immersion.

Ezalc

Lol'd at the frog shitting out eggs or whatever. This game looks great though, definitely going to pick this up when I get a 3DSXL. As soon as NA announces some good colors for it anyway :|.

Alfredo

Looks really cool, but Google tells me 1800 yen is around 20 dollars, which seems pretty expensive for an eShop game...

Ragus

Banned
Looks really cool, but Google tells me 1800 yen is around 20 dollars, which seems pretty expensive for an eShop game...

As long as there is enough content, price isn't a problem for me. Pushmo entertained me more than many 50-60$ titles.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This looks extremely charming and fun. Nintendo really seems on the ball with rhythm based games, I hope this comes to the US.

As for this being made by Game Freak, that's even better, a bit of fresh air from one franchise can certainly help a studios morale and get them thinking of different ideas to make better games.

It looks like a somewhat better DS game, the environments in particular.

It began development as a DS game.

I'd disagree that the title as it is looks down at that standard, though; character models are very much smoother than DS models would be, and environments are very clean. It's certainly not taxing the system, but I'd say it's looking pretty good.

Bumhead

Banned
This looks great. Hope we don't have to wait too long for an EU/US localisation. The eShop definitely needs more love from games like this.

EulaCapra

Wow, this look really, really fun! I hope it gets localized. Don't always bet on a sure thing; remember Line Attack Heroes?

This also looks way less masochistic than Rhythm Heavens.

linko9

This looks dope, there need to be more rhythm platformers. Bit Trip Beat was good, but this looks like it's even more rhythm focused.

zroid

Banned
Everything about this is exciting except for the simon says minigames. I always despised those in Rhythm Heaven.

JoeInky

Game looks good and all, but those pokemon levels just make part of me want a Nintendo rhythm game featuring tracks from mario, zelda, kirby, metroid, tetris, balloon fight, earthbound, starfox... there's so many great tunes I'd love to play along to.

rjc571

Banned
This instantly moved into my top 5 most wanted 3DS games. But if it's going to be $20 as a downloadable game then I'd rather spend a little bit extra for a retail version instead.

zroid

Banned
Chris Kohler wrote up a preview of the demo. Sounds good!

Anyway, I’m sold. This is right in my wheelhouse, so I don’t see any scenario that doesn’t involve me purchasing this game on Sept. 5, even with exchange rates being what they are. So look for a full review next month.

Drago

Just saw the trailer.

I need this NOW. really hope this manages to see a release in NA by the end of the year but I doubt it :(

Neiteio

Seven minutes of pure direct-feed gameplay here. Wow, this actually looks top-notch. Tons of variety in settings and scenarios, a diverse cast, wonderful music, and the rhythm elements are quick and punchy to the point I was bobbing my head watching the video and actually leaning into each "hit." I love action games, and get a great action vibe from this, even though it's technically a rhythm game masquerading as a forced side-scroller. Surely we can expect this in America... Right? This is easily the most interesting eShop game since Pushmo... It looks like it could easily be a retail title in its own right.

Holy Wars

Banned
Graphics are so bad. I guess that's why they made it eShop.

Doesn't leave much hope for Pokemon on 3DS. But the game looks fun, I'll buy it for sure.

StayDead

Played the demo, fell in love and now I'm about to buy it.

DAT SPECIAL STAGE MUSIC

It's the Pokemon Black and White Trainer Battle theme

Doesn't leave much hope for Pokemon on 3DS. But the game looks fun, I'll buy it for sure.

Or they didn't put as much effort in making this graphical showcase number 3 because it was an eshop game that started development on the DS? Maybe?

Besides, Pokemon never has been a graphical showcase of anything and I don't expect that to change.

Holy Wars

Banned
Or they didn't put as much effort in making this graphical showcase number 3 because it was an eshop game that started development on the DS? Maybe?

Besides, Pokemon never has been a graphical showcase of anything and I don't expect that to change.

If Pokemon still looks like a GBA game on 3DS I'm going to be very disappointed. It's time for the game to be real 3D.

Neiteio

I'm currently playing Sleeping Dogs with the high-res texture pack on a high-end PC. It's probably one of the most next-gen-looking games at the moment. Absolutely gorgeous. (Incredible game, too.)

But HarmoKnight looks lovely in its own right. Technically simple? Sure. But the art direction, the colors, the character designs and the layered backgrounds makes it exciting to look at, especially given the brisk pace at which it all whirls by. In other words, different games look equally beautiful in different ways, imo.

So this is controlled with buttons, right? Please let it be so. The level where you play as the female archer running along the dino bones looks so fun.

zroid

Banned
So this is controlled with buttons, right? Please let it be so. The level where you play as the female archer running along the dino bones looks so fun.

Yeah, buttons. B to jump, A to attack, and others for context sensitive stuff.

Top Bottom