• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Kater

Banned
Nah, just tried with my OG 3DS, no problems at all. It should be even easier to do so on the 2DS since Nintendo gave it rounded corners. And it's also very similar to the Wii U shoulder buttons, meaning tapping on the side is enough to trigger a input.

2ds_holding62b8y.jpg
Looks amazing, really.
Will buy one end of next year, hopefully they still have that white one in stock somewhere.

ed: Sorry for the double-post

heatbeams

Neo Member
I already own an XL and like the 3D, but I'm interested in picking one of these up for playing my old DS games. A green and white one would be rad.

Super Crash

Neo Member
I still have some doubts, but I am starting to warm up to the 2DS. However, I'll wait for the inevitable 2DS XL. After the 3DS XL (and now Vita), I cannot go back to small handheld screens.

MarkusRJR

Everyone on my Facebook and twitter feeds have been laughing at this thing for the entire day. I just don't understand why Nintendo didn't make a well designed handheld like the DS lite or the DSI instead of this sloppy mess. Just because you want it cheap doesn't mean it has to be super ugly.

Mariolee

Everyone on my Facebook and twitter feeds have been laughing at this thing for the entire day. I just don't understand why Nintendo didn't make a well designed handheld like the DS lite or the DSI instead of this sloppy mess. Just because you want it cheap doesn't mean it has to be super ugly.

They'll laugh, but I have a feeling come this holiday it'll be Nintendo laughing all the way to the bank.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
On my radio station they mocked it as well yesterday, Nintendo bashing has become pretty mainstream.

The white one looks good to me, and french journalists hands on are very good, quite a U turn from their initial reaction.

MarkusRJR

They'll laugh, but I have a feeling come this holiday it'll be Nintendo laughing all the way to the bank.
Yeah Nintendo is probably going to sell a ton of 2DS due to Pokémon and Zelda. I'm personally buying one to be my back up 3DS to trade between Pokémon games and carry around. I'm too scared to carry my XL that has hundreds in eShop purchases, since it's really common to get mugged where I live. I just wish NA got decent colors for once. Blue/red/pink/black are really bland.

Super Crash

Neo Member
This.

I remember a lot of people laughing at the DSi XL as well, saying it was a handheld for old men, etc.

Now, with the popularity of the 3DS XL, who's laughing now?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The bargain is in the price of the system, not the games. Nintendo still wants to make money.
The thing is, DS games are worthless now. Outside of the bargain bin, no stores carry them anymore. Want to buy something old like Elite Beat Agents or Kirby Canvas Curse? Good luck.

Gamble

The thing is, DS games are worthless now. Outside of the bargain bin, no stores carry them anymore. Want to buy something old like Elite Beat Agents or Kirby Canvas Curse? Good luck.

Not sure about other areas but I can tell you the majority of the stores near me both big names (Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc) as well as the smaller businesses still have quite a healthy selection of OG DS games to chose from that are on the shelves as well as the bargain bin

zeopower6

This.

I remember a lot of people laughing at the DSi XL as well, saying it was a handheld for old men, etc.

Now, with the popularity of the 3DS XL, who's laughing now?

Wasn't that the intention to begin with with the LLs?

Anyway, people weren't going to want to play on teeny screens forever, so it was sort of inevitable.

Celine

Was wondering if 2DS would lose the AA (in 2D mode) that certain games implemented using the 3D screen.

Mono sound is deal breaker for me.

Mite b posted already but

kEGfSDI.png
If only no one wanted it that would be true.

I'm just wondering are there any advantages of this over the 3ds
If you were a parent/uncle that want to gift a 3DS to a kid than there are a few from their point of view.

For a gaffer? maybe ergonomics? In general it lacks features compared to OG model (and that's a model you could have bought for 124-134 euro already)

ALM5252

I really like the design of the 2DS. That said, Nintendo should have made this a "third-pillar" of sorts.

It should have been a multi touch screen, similar to the mockup. The advantage I think it could have had is easy mobile game porting while being able to play DS and 3DS games. Could have also had 2DS only games in the form of eShop games; basically 1:1 ported iOS / Android app games or built for 2DS games that require multi touch.

Also, if they had went this route, they could market the 2DS as a small gaming tablet. Could have also been a great MP3 and Video player as well if it the app was made similar to the iPods or Android phones since you could get bigger SD cards for more storage space be it music, games or movies.

The name could have also been changed to reflect this:
Nintendo 2DSi
Nintendo 2DSlab / Nintendo 2D Slab
Nintendo 2DSlate / Nintendo 2D Slate

One more thing, the 2DS should also be at a bit less than or equal to the PS Vita's specs and a higher resolution of maybe 480p - 544p at about 4 - 5 inches, of course only if it was a third-pillar and not an entry level 3DS.

If Nintendo did this, would it have been a better idea than the 2DS as it is? I know that if they went with this idea the price would have been higher, but for maybe $190 - $200 would it be a good "gaming tablet"? (The original 3DS could be priced at $130 and 3DSXL at $160 instead)

Just a random thought, Lol.
I put way to much thought into this that will never happen anyways.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
YouTube view counter

Nintendo 2DS - Introduction - 3,840,542
Likes / dislikes blocked now XD

Nintendo 2DS - Announcement Trailer (UK) - 236,265
937 likes / 1,588 dislikes

YouTube view counter

Nintendo 2DS - Introduction - 3,840,542
Likes / dislikes blocked now XD

Nintendo 2DS - Announcement Trailer (UK) - 236,265
937 likes / 1,588 dislikes

This is what happens when you let middle-aged neckbeards vote on videos made for kids.

JoeM86

I really like the design of the 2DS. That said, Nintendo should have made this a "third-pillar" of sorts.

It should have been a multi touch screen, similar to the mockup. The advantage I think it could have had is easy mobile game porting while being able to play DS and 3DS games. Could have also had 2DS only games in the form of eShop games; basically 1:1 ported iOS / Android app games or built for 2DS games that require multi touch.

Also, if they had went this route, they could market the 2DS as a small gaming tablet. Could have also been a great MP3 and Video player as well if it the app was made similar to the iPods or Android phones since you could get bigger SD cards for more storage space be it music, games or movies.

The name could have also been changed to reflect this:
Nintendo 2DSi
Nintendo 2DSlab / Nintendo 2D Slab
Nintendo 2DSlate / Nintendo 2D Slate

One more thing, the 2DS should also be at a bit less than or equal to the PS Vita's specs and a higher resolution of maybe 480p - 544p at about 4 - 5 inches, of course only if it was a third-pillar and not an entry level 3DS.

If Nintendo did this, would it have been a better idea than the 2DS as it is? I know that if they went with this idea the price would have been higher, but for maybe $190 - $200 would it be a good "gaming tablet"? (The original 3DS could be priced at $130 and 3DSXL at $160 instead)

Just a random thought, Lol.
I put way to much thought into this that will never happen anyways.

I don't see why they would do that. The entire concept of this device is a cheap entry level device of the 3DS without the stereoscopic 3D that causes parents to not want to buy their kids it.

Personally, I love the concept and it will make Nintendo some serious money. The design is even growing on me now
Looks so nice :)

Gambit

Personally, I love the concept and it will make Nintendo some serious money. The design is even growing on me now

This is the strangest part for me: I hated the design when I first saw it. Nintendo managed to out-ugly the DS Phat.

Now, it's already growing on me and I can see the appeal. In fact, I believe it will be a huge hit.

Sendou

My initial reaction was not anything other than "what the fuck" but seriously now I actually like the design. It's definitely an upgrade from the original 3DS. Missing hinge is great for children since in my experience it seems to be the first thing to break especially when you're not careful.

ALM5252

I don't see why they would do that. The entire concept of this device is a cheap entry level device of the 3DS without the stereoscopic 3D that causes parents to not want to buy their kids it.

I understand it's concept, but was mainly thinking of it as if it had not been announced yet or in an alternate reality. Lol

Just wanted to leave a thought out there about if Nintendo made a gaming tablet as a way to cash in on mobile games being perfectly ported from iOS or Android instead of an entry level 3DS. Not dissing on their decision because I want one and I already have a launch Aqua Blue 3DS and Red 3DS XL, but a Nintendo tablet would have been even better too! Haha :)

Gonna have to wait until NOA releases the White 2DS though. :(

big youth

I'm hoping for a two-pillar design approach: Fisher-Price kids design and sleek for teen/adult

I think 1 large, quality screen (ala Vita) is objectivily better than 2 crap screens (3DS), and lining up screen vertically makes almost no sense (clamshell is nice but doesn't depend on 2 screens), so I'm hoping (but not hopeful) that the next Nintendo handheld goes back to a single screen.

My thoughts on 2DS...it might be a smart business decision with the price and look, but at my age it holds no appeal.

JoeM86

My initial reaction was not anything other than "what the fuck" but seriously now I actually like the design. It's definitely an upgrade from the original 3DS. Missing hinge is great for children since in my experience it seems to be the first thing to break especially when you're not careful.

A friend of mine got a hands on of it the other day. He said it's comfortable, and he put it down face down to see how it'd react to an impact that isn't on a corner, and the buttons/circle pad protect the screens, and the bottom screen is indented (while top screen protected by plastic).

People are underestimating how durable this thing will be

olimpia84

Nah, just tried with my OG 3DS, no problems at all. It should be even easier to do so on the 2DS since Nintendo gave it rounded corners. And it's also very similar to the Wii U shoulder buttons, meaning tapping on the side is enough to trigger a input.

2ds_holding62b8y.jpg

The more I look at the system the more it grows on me. It actually looks very nice, especially this model in the picture.

I think 1 large, quality screen (ala Vita) is objectivily better than 2 crap screens (3DS), and lining up screen vertically makes almost no sense (clamshell is nice but doesn't depend on 2 screens), so I'm hoping (but not hopeful) that the next Nintendo handheld goes back to a single screen.

My thoughts on 2DS...it might be a smart business decision with the price and look, but at my age it holds no appeal.

You are not the target audience for the design, so it's okay.

Coolwhip

Banned
Tje more I look at it the more I wish it had XL screens. Still have it preordered for my son.

As an XL it wouldn't have worked. Unless it was just 1 screen. Which would make it more like the GBA. I'd like that personally. Nintendo's next handheld a GBA with a single high res 16:9 touchscreen, maybe a second stick. (I know a lot like Vita, but it's a natural evolution of the GBA)

Cromat

I don't get the 'kiddy' accusation at all. Sorry to break it to you: the 3DS is also for kids. It's not a sleek gadget and it never was, and it is criminally overpriced.
This is the smartest thing Nintendo has done in the last three years.

Looking closer, the thing that's making the system feel "off" is that there's no border around the touchscreen. Without this, the large amount of negative space on the bottom portion doesn't seem to flow together well into the touchscreen.

It's definitely grown on me though.

I got started on it then got bored. Lighter colors look great on 2DS IMO.

2ds_gameboyk5sqz.png

I need to hurry up with my Dreamcast XL and get started on this design.

They really missed out here. No 3D means they could have done something like this:

2ds-redesign.png

I'd buy 4.

I still think this is the GOAT though. Their next handheld if anything.

I really, really want a white + color variant from NOA. As usual, being lame.

reggie-fils-aime.jpg
\

Francis delivered. Wow, wasn't expecting that at all

He must have a disposable gaming budget to be able to throw eggs on his consoles, lol

Top Bottom