• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

-Horizon-

3D doesn't seem to be a needed feature. The games I've played don't need it turned on.
Its nice to have but isn't required. So I see the 3D ending here and the successor not having it.

Somnid

Nintendo clearly also sees no value in stereo speakers, everyone just uses headphones anyway, standard industry practice is to be mono and it saves money. I really think there's no chance the next system will have stereo speakers.

Sendou

Nintendo clearly also sees no value in stereo speakers, everyone just uses headphones anyway, standard industry practice is to be mono and it saves money. I really think there's no chance the next system will have stereo speakers.

Or just say fuck it and have no speakers.

eojoko

I can't tell if this is really well disguised sarcasm.

RM8

3D doesn't seem to be a needed feature. The games I've played don't need it turned on.
Its nice to have but isn't required. So I see the 3D ending here and the successor not having it.
I'm one of the weirdos who loves 3D on 3DS :(

I'll survive, though, as long as the next handheld is foldable. Double screen without a hinge = hideous and dumb.

rekameohs

Banned
I'll just chime in that I love the 3DS's 3D, and that the 2DS is to appeal to a younger market, one that shouldn't be using the 3D feature, as stated by Nintendo, meaning that they will not be phasing out 3D in their games.

That said, I doubt their next system will have 3D.

Bilzac

Neo Member
I was actually considering purchasing this when it comes out. The price is enticing, I haven't purchased a Nintendo console/handheld since the GBA - so the backlog of DS and 3DS games makes me want to buy it. The lack of portability and 3D doesn't bother me. The latter was an issue for me - I'd always turn the 3D off. And I don't really plan on keeping the 3DS in my pocket.

That being said - I ended up picking up a 3DS, cause yesterday a Shopper's nears me had over stock - and were selling them for 99 dollars.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The next handheld absolutely will not have 3D.

That would have been the case even before they announced this.

I don't know, I think it's possible that next Nintendo handheld will have 3D again. Given how mobile development is progressing, and so how having good tech without spending too much through off-the-shelves components is already possible, and will be even more in the future, there'd be space for 3D again, while having a good price (like, 199.99 as highest amount possible). I hope it remains, I really like 3D, and I'd miss it :(
I'd accept ditching 3D if, without it, the console can have great video quality (both graphics and the screens themselves)...although having both high definition and 3D would be top notch ;_;

wait, i am kinda ignorant about this right now, but i wonder, what happens if you plug in headphones and listen to a game on a 2DS (which has mono speaker) will it STILL be stereo over the headphones or mono?

-Horizon-

I'm one of the weirdos who loves 3D on 3DS :(

I'll survive, though, as long as the next handheld is foldable. Double screen without a hinge = hideous and dumb.

I'd be surprised if the next iteration isn't double screen with a hinge. I'm not putting plastic screen protectors on my system.

I've got it! Nintendo can made a Nintendo QHDS at 960x540 and can emulate 3DS and below at native res automatically:

iQGnLiNXguAGY.png

Do we really need a whooping HD resolution on a small screen? I can understand a big TV, but a handheld? Use the Vita's resolution and use the reserves for better graphical punch. Obviously a second stick is essential.

It'd be nice if there were no gimmicks, actually they can call it being one touch-screen and call it a day, they don't NEED to innovate on handhelds, I mean they got Pokemon, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest (among others), don't add stuff you really don't need, you got the powerhouse IPs.

Now the home consoles need work, but handheld-wise, I think Nintendo's covered so long as they retain said 3rd-party IPs.

hachi

Banned
The subset of players who do not enjoy (or cannot see, in some cases) stereoscopic 3D seem to always confuse matters. There is a tremendous difference between a feature that everyone finds superfluous--which it most certainly is not--and a feature that some find useless while others find to be a real differentiator. Without question, many consumers take 3D to be the standout on the system and something that gives it an appeal beyond any competing device. The only question is exactly how that enthusiasm gap breaks down between the two camps.

Nikodemos

Wow. I go away from the net for a few days and this is what I come back to.

Anyway, to blow my own trumpet:

In fact, to inject my own controversial opinion into the mix, I'd say Nintendo would be better served by dropping the 3D from the 3DS (rebrand it as the "Nintendo LS" or whatever) in order to drive production costs down and make some proper money from hardware sales.

Posted on 22nd August.

I'm a fuckin' visionary.

I don't know, I think it's possible that next Nintendo handheld will have 3D again. Given how mobile development is progressing, and so how having good tech without spending too much through off-the-shelves components is already possible, and will be even more in the future, there'd be space for 3D again, while having a good price (like, 199.99 as highest amount possible). I hope it remains, I really like 3D, and I'd miss it :(
I'd accept ditching 3D if, without it, the console can have great video quality (both graphics and the screens themselves)...although having both high definition and 3D would be top notch ;_;

I think a lot of the 3DS was conceived with the idea that the handheld market was getting older and going after kids from 12 - 25 was the smarter idea, so they leaned in on N64 nostalgia, priced it high, and slapped a "Don't use 3D if you're under 7" thing.

It turned out to be a huge mistake and now they're going back to their bread and butter, kids. So the "Don't use 3D if you're under 7" thing becomes a huge liability rather than an ignorable part of the market.

AniHawk

The IGN Nintendo crew basically said/speculated that the 2DS is a NOA/NOE led decision with little to no input from NCL.

if that's the case, then i really hope this thing takes off big time. it would definitely give noa/noe some more muscle making decisions in the future.

Brera

Banned
Love how the usual Nintendo shills have convinced them that this is an awesome idea and that it looks awesome!

It's been routinely considered the worst looking console ever made. It's fucking huge! It's for kids? Really? It's a fucking brick! It's a budget model? Really? It's only $30 cheaper. If it had released at $99 or less then fair enough.

The 3DS has been an abortion of a console and a failure in Nintendo's vision for the future of handhelds. They've realised 3D was a waste. Next console, back to single screens please.

Hopefully this is a sign that Nintendo will be focussing less on gimmicks in their next consoles. A back to basics design would be great?

2DS is the biggest gaming joke since the twin stick add on...FFS Nintendo!

My god! Why are people so damned salty about the 2DS?

The system is a great move by Nintendo, and it's obviously designed as an entry level handheld for younger kids. They removed the clamshell aspect because think of how kids treat what they own. The first thing to go will be the hinges. So, this is a great move on their part.
Plus, this will be great for parents who are scared to have their kids use the 3D aspect of a 3DS.

People need to calm down.

DigitalOp

Banned
If the screen size is your priority and you can afford it, no question, go with the XL.

Thank you Cherno...

Even on Ebay, Im seeing 3DS XL for 186. 170 at the cheapest...

Its not gonna be fun tryna pick one up. And I'd rather have the black one... AND I want Pokemon ay yi yi

Tripon

Thank you Cherno...

Even on Ebay, Im seeing 3DS XL for 186. 170 at the cheapest...

Its not gonna be fun tryna pick one up. And I'd rather have the black one... AND I want Pokemon ay yi yi

Retailers will regularly have sales on the 3DS XL. I picked up mine back in March at Target for $170.

If you can wait until Black Friday, I'm sure you can get a good deal around $160 or lower, or with a good pack in game, like Pokemon or Zelda.

Love how the usual Nintendo shills have convinced them that this is an awesome idea and that it looks awesome!

It's been routinely considered the worst looking console ever made. It's fucking huge! It's for kids? Really? It's a fucking brick! It's a budget model? Really? It's only $30 cheaper. If it had released at $99 or less then fair enough.

The 3DS has been an abortion of a console and a failure in Nintendo's vision for the future of handhelds. They've realised 3D was a waste. Next console, back to single screens please.

Hopefully this is a sign that Nintendo will be focussing less on gimmicks in their next consoles. A back to basics design would be great?

2DS is the biggest gaming joke since the twin stick add on...FFS Nintendo!
Calling others shills for liking the design or thinking it will be a success.

Calling for a back to basic design and calling the 2DS the biggest gaming joke since yada yada. A handheld forgoing stereoscopic 3D and a clamshell design for a most simple GB style design.

Should you be taken seriously or was that just another interesting string of consciousness from a very emotional GAFer?

Calling others shills for liking the design or thinking it will be a success.

Calling for a back to basic design and calling the 2DS the biggest gaming joke since yada yada. A handheld forgoing stereoscopic 3D and a clamshell design for a most simple GB style design.

Should you be taken seriously or was that just another interesting string of consciousness from a very emotional GAFer?

Based on the posts I tend to see from this guy, he's not even worth responding to.

Will Nintendo's next gen system DS be called 2DS2? Or will it be called DS3 since it is the third DS gen?

Next gen DS is going to be another confusing mess namong wise -_-

Based on the posts I tend to see from this guy, he's not even worth responding to.

I'll respond to just about anyone as long as they aren't insulting others. And even if they are occasionally. But I do prefer them to have at least a point that isn't mired in hyperbole.

edit: I mean SmokyDave thinks the thing will be a success, and that man is far from a Nintendo shill. It just screamed as a cheap way to write off any other opinion.

Rich!

Will Nintendo's next gen system DS be called 2DS2? Or will it be called DS3 since it is the third DS gen?

Next gen DS is going to be another confusing mess namong wise -_-

Who says it will be another DS?

After this gen, I can safely predict that the Wii and DS names will be left in the past.

it'll be something new

I'll respond to just about anyone as long as they aren't insulting others. And even if they are occasionally. But I do prefer them to have at least a point that isn't mired in hyperbole.

Hyperbole is putting it mildly. His entire existence on this board seems to be for the sake of trolling Nintendo fans. (Shrug)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'll have to hold one before I make a judgment call. I don't like that the pouch seems to be a (much needed) add-on rather than included.

I can't wait to see a teardown of this thing. Dat one screen.

Who says it will be another DS?

After this gen, I can safely predict that the Wii and DS names will be left in the past.

it'll be something new

Definitely agree. I don't think we'll be seeing a Wii U 2 or anything like that.

Next Gen's Nintendo handheld will be a tablet/console. This would be a logical step and an educated guess based on this slate design and the Wii U gamepad. I foresee them combining the two.

Yep, me too.

We will see a hybrid handheld/home system by Nintendo next. They can't cope making games for two systems, a one system that does both (basically a Vita with video-out, or a dock of some kind) makes sense.

Next Gen's Nintendo handheld will be a tablet/console. This would be a logical step and an educated guess based on this slate design and the Wii U gamepad. I foresee them combining the two.

We will see a hybrid handheld/home system by Nintendo next. They can't cope making games for two systems, a one system that does both (basically a Vita with video-out, or a dock of some kind) makes sense.

Dammit, beaten.

I'll be there when they make a 2DS XL.

I take it you have really big hands...

Top Bottom