• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

gogogow

Could you take a picture with you pressing the shoulder buttons while using the d-pad?

The pictures are not mine. But here you can see it's not a problem to reach the shoulder buttons while using the d-pad with your thumb. Though personally, it might've been a better idea if they designed it more like the Wii U Gamepad's ZR/ZL buttons.
2ds_dpady0spd.jpg

2ds_comp35rssq.jpg

Brera

Banned
It looks awful.

Nintendo have seriously lost their way here. How will people know where to get their 2DS games from? Why hasn't it got dual sticks?

Nintendo are acting more like 32x era Sega right now.

I don't get the 'kiddy' accusation at all. Sorry to break it to you: the 3DS is also for kids. It's not a sleek gadget and it never was, and it is criminally overpriced.
This is the smartest thing Nintendo has done in the last three years.

Definitely smart. A lower price entry was essential as I've always thought especially in NA that the system was overpriced. This will complement the Pokemon release nicely. And it's been positioned to take full advantage.

It looks awful.

Nintendo have seriously lost their way here. How will people know where to get their 2DS games from? Why hasn't it got dual sticks?

Was wondering when you'd show up with your awful unwashed heathen opinions. It hasn't got dual sticks because anybody who's played the 6 popular titles that have the functionality would tell you it's a complete fucking waste of time.

You point out people might be confused by the 2DS name, and then claim they should add a second stick, which wouldn't be confusing at all, in the slightest would it?

It looks awful.

dual sticks??? a feature only given a shit about by the hardest of the hardcore on a budget variant for kids, you really have lost your mind

TomServo

I don't get the 'kiddy' accusation at all. Sorry to break it to you: the 3DS is also for kids. It's not a sleek gadget and it never was, and it is criminally overpriced.

This is the smartest thing Nintendo has done in the last three years.

Yup. The only people that are going to judge you differently for having a 2DS vs a 3DS are other gamers. To the rest of the world, any DS is a child's toy.

Cheebo

Banned
It looks awful.

Sega's problem was releasing hardware add-ons which games required. This is just a new hardware design. Software hasn't changed at all. A sega move would be adding an extra stick onto it which would result in incompatibility with games on older 3DS hardware eventually.

rpmurphy

If only it weren't gimped with no 3D and mono speaker, I'd probably buy it in this form. It looks more ergonomic. Alas, no account or data sync system... :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really think this thing is such a terrible idea, but every time I look at I am just in awe of how dumb it looks.

jmls1121

Banned
It looks awful.

Your act is about as fresh as a Foghat concert.

robjoh

If the price gets below 99 USD (which I guess would be less than 1000 SEK in Sweden) I will buy it. A cheap system that I can play NSMB2, Fire Emblem and some other games on. The XL in Sweden cost around 2000 SEK without any charger...

jts

...hate me...
If only it weren't gimped with no 3D and mono speaker, I'd probably buy it in this form. It looks more ergonomic. Alas, no account or data sync system... :(
You can transfer your stuff over from another 3DS fine, no probs.

gogogow

If the price gets below 99 USD (which I guess would be less than 1000 SEK in Sweden) I will buy it. A cheap system that I can play NSMB2, Fire Emblem and some other games on. The XL in Sweden cost around 2000 SEK without any charger...

You're in luck then, the 2DS will cost £109.99 in the UK which is around 1125 SEK. And UK retailers might (are very likely to) go below that. Just import one from places like Amazon UK or something. You even get a charger, though probably need a converter.

robjoh

You're in luck then, the 2DS will cost £109.99 in the UK which is around 1125 SEK. And UK retailers might (are very likely to) go below that. Just import one from places like Amazon UK or something. You even get a charger, though probably need a converter.

I think that after the Christmas period it probably will drop below 1000 SEK as the standard 3DS is around 1300 SEK. Just wanted to point out that there is a market for low cost hardware...

Regiruler

Was wondering when you'd show up with your awful unwashed heathen opinions. It hasn't got dual sticks because anybody who's played the 6 popular titles that have the functionality would tell you it's a complete fucking waste of time.

Don't put words in my mouth. Competitive lefty Kid Icarus play requires the damn thing.

The heathen still needs to be put in his place, though.

Xun

I still don't see what people thought was so ugly about it in the first place.

I'm almost tempted to get one since I don't have a 3DS, but I may just wait till the next smaller 3DS revision.

todd360

I have a launch 3ds and I kinda want a XL model now. Do you think nintendo will release a superior 3ds xl model? The only things i can think of that could be upgraded is screen resolution (which i doubt they would do) perhaps battery life or better cameras. The camera thing is no big deal though either because who uses a 3ds to take pictures anyways lol.

Keyouta

I think Nintendo's next handheld will have two uniform widescreens. I also think it will keep the clamshell design. The single large screen is a neat idea, but then it isn't very portable since it doesn't fold.

So here's the big question; does this confirm they're axing 3D in the successor?

They just showed willing to release a new handheld without it, in the same gen, and it does seem to be a less popular trend than 3 years ago.

It's also costly, and when going higher-res, it'll add even more to the cost of 3D.

To me it won't be missed if they do, and thankfully NO game required it in the first place. ENHANCED, yes, required, no. So it's something for the most part they can ditch and not look back.

Thoughts?

DigitalOp

Banned
Every time I look at it, I don't know if I want to take the plunge or go 3DS XL...

I would like to save as much as possible but the entire reason I waited on 3DS was because I needed bigger screens. OG 3DS screen was just so wimpy and now that I'm playing Vita, its gonna really start bothering me after a while...

What should I do guys??

Obviously a smart move for Nintendo. They are dominating the handheld market, and I think this is really going to sell. Obiously this is for the market that is the damn near polar opposite of GAF, so you see a lot WTF'ing in this thread. But this is Nintendo being Nintendo, appealing to a market that they've dominated since they came on the scene.

Isn't there some new game coming out in october that has a tendency to sell systems? Remember the type of game pokemon is, and the 2DS makes complete sense. Nintendo is going to mitigate the wii-U flop with handheld dominance it seems

DoubleTap

Every time I look at it, I don't know if I want to take the plunge or go 3DS XL...

I would like to save as much as possible but the entire reason I waited on 3DS was because I needed bigger screens. OG 3DS screen was just so wimpy and now that I'm playing Vita, its gonna really start bothering me after a while...

What should I do guys??

If the screen size is your priority and you can afford it, no question, go with the XL.

Drek

Almost there Nintendo.

My opinion on the 2DS:

1. Validates what I've been saying all along - that 3D was a gimmick they shoehorned in for no real game design reason and in the end cost Nintendo a bunch of money (having to slash 3DS units below cost to move them early on).

2. Still irritated that they failed to include a second circle pad on it. I think a design similar to the Wii U's pro controller (two circle pads at the top, d-pad and buttons below) would have been a great "all in one" design that likely wouldn't cost much more at all to have achieved.

3. Form factor isn't actually bad. Going away from clamshell will irritate a lot of the Nintendo core who have become accustomed to it, but I'm actually rather interested because the ergonomics on this could be great. I can throw screen protectors on it and buy a slim case for it and feel comfortable that it won't get trashed.

I'll give it a look at <$100 MSRP and when Nintendo moves towards an account based online storefront. Too many 3DS titles that interest me are digital distro or something I'd prefer to own digitally for me to tie it to a specific piece of hardware.

eojoko

The next handheld absolutely will not have 3D.

That would have been the case even before they announced this.

Kind of makes me extra happy to own an XL. There won't be a proper way to emulate these games in the future.

As for the 2DS, I'd be more inclined to buy it as a VC game machine if there was a unified account system. . .

RIP 3D gaming, again. 'Twas a short but sweet ride.

Nintendo seems to have discovered that 3D just wasn't worth it. It halves framerate; it negatively impacts battery life; it significantly increases the cost of the screen, taking up money that could've otherwise been used on a higher resolution screen or better hardware; it (apparently) makes anti-aliasing more difficult. And for what? A feature that half the people who bought the console don't like, while most of the people who do like it aren't even especially enthusiastic about it. 3D's dead yo. Bring on the HDS.

Top Bottom