• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Why you want to play games at that aspect ratio?

Edit: I do wish the screen was connected like that though. That Wind Waker mock up last page would be great.
With some creative camera work playing in that ratio would probably be fine. Resident Evil 4 would be neat :O

ash_ag

With some creative camera work playing in that ratio would probably be fine. Resident Evil 4 would be neat :O
Depends on the game, to be honest. I think Pokémon would be great like this, considering that it uses the vertical axis as much as it does the horizontal one, if not more. If the next handheld allows some games to be in both portrait and landscape mode, I think Pokémon will benefit from that more than any game. Heck, I can imagine playing even without physical controls -- we already do in battles.

jmls1121

Banned
The nub is far from crappy. It's fantastic. After trying it, I wouldn't even mind the Wii U had come with those instead, like the original design had.

I disagree. I understand that the nub is needed for a clamshell desing, but the nub needs to have ridges or something. It gets slippery as hell.

KiTA

I wish this had been announced a month ago. I imported a Japanese 3DS and would have imported a Japanese 2DS instead.

Reasoning:

1. I'm either stereoblind or have a lazy eye or something, I cannot see the 3DS's 3d.
2. My J3DS never leaves the house

The 2DS would have been cheaper, and since I can't see 3D and it never leaves the house anyway, well, why not just get the 2DS and call it good?

I wish this had been announced a month ago. I imported a Japanese 3DS and would have imported a Japanese 2DS instead.

Reasoning:

1. I'm either stereoblind or have a lazy eye or something, I cannot see the 3DS's 3d.

The 2DS would have been cheaper, and since I can't see 3D and it never leaves the house anyway, well, why not just get the 2DS and call it good?

Did they even announce it in Japan yet? I thought I heard they hadn't.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Reasoning:

The one flaw with that is the 2DS hasn't actually been announced for Japan yet. The existing 3DS models seem to be consistently topping the charts there.

oITfVOk.png

I'm having fun envisioning games and user interfaces for this fictional next gen Nintendo handheld.
I have good news then, you can buy that already. It's called a Wii U XD

The screen orientation doesn't make sense. Unless you arranged the controls to acomodate horizontal and vertical play with a screen of that aspect ratio.
The one flaw with that is the 2DS hasn't actually been announced for Japan yet. The existing 3DS models seem to be consistently topping the charts there.
Correct, no need to announce this in Japan when the 3DS is the market leader. And the lineup starts to get killer as early as septemner with MonHun 4.

Maybe Japan will get the first original 3DS revision when sales start to slow down somewhat after the strong software of this year is deployed.
I disagree. I understand that the nub is needed for a clamshell desing, but the nub needs to have ridges or something. It gets slippery as hell.
I agree with jts here, it is a real shame Nintendo dropped the circle pad style design for the Wii U gamepad. It is time for low profile sticks to become the norm.

Shahed

I still feel kinda salty about this. Sure I understand Nintendo's reasoning and I expect it to be really successful.

But I recently decided it was time to get a 3DS later this year/early 2014 when Bravery Default comes out.There are quite a few games I wanna play now. But it'd been a little while now since the XL so I figured there was chance of a new revision. Maybe a 3DSi with better battery life, ergonomics and screen or something. Now I'm stuck with an XL which is probably too big, and a standard 3DS where the squared corners make it uncomfortable.

This is not the revision I wanted!

Sendou

I still feel kinda salty about this. Sure I understand Nintendo's reasoning and I expect it to be really successful.

But I recently decided it was time to get a 3DS later this year/early 2014 when Bravery Default comes out.There are quite a few games I wanna play now. But it'd been a little while now since the XL so I figured there was chance of a new revision. Maybe a 3DSi with better battery life, ergonomics and screen or something. Now I'm stuck with an XL which is probably too big, and a standard 3DS where the squared corners make it uncomfortable.

This is not the revision I wanted!

Why do you believe XL would be too big for you? It's not that big to hold actually. I don't have big hands particularly but it's still on a whole different comfortable level than the original 3DS for example.

Shahed

Why do you believe XL would be too big for you? It's not that big to hold actually. I don't have big hands particularly but it's still on a whole different comfortable level than the original 3DS for example.

I've played around with my friends XL. I'm a short guy and it's probably slightly too big for my liking. I'll probably end up getting it though since as you say, it's still a lot more comfortable than the standard 3DS.

DSi remains my favourite Nintendo handheld ergonomically

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
YouTube's View Counter

Nintendo 2DS - Introduction - 4,836,807
Nintendo 2DS - Announcement Trailer (UK) - 275,300 (1,033 likes / 1,714 dislikes)

You know, that huge screen looks great, but a vertical ratio would be crap for a Mario or Zelda game.

And that's why I kinda fear a single display design. Most devs would be tempted to drop the half display gameplay design (with the other half being menu/maps/etc) they currently have on DS/3DS games, trading a proper aspect ratio for more real estate.

NOW... if Nintendo can come up with that design, but have it somehow rotate and thus getting proper controls to play in widescreen... so you would have the following options:
Widescreen (normal games without big map requirements etc)
Vertical fullscreen (for shmups and whatnot)
Vertical halfscreen (DS/3DS style and backward compatibility)

Then ho lee fuk.

It's called the Wii U gamepad.

Unfortunately, the gamepad is useless without the Wii U console and if its more than 20 feet away from said console.
While true, Gamepad range varies like an schizophrenic has moods, the 2DS doesn't seem like a portable device. It's more of like a play freely around while indoors. Which is what the Wii U goes for (at least in principle). And the game's visuals in a Wii U are at PS3/360 levels while the ones in a 2DS are circa Dreamcast/GC range, so that's a plus.
Lower price, no more 3D for 3D fearing parents, Pokemon is releasing on the same day.

Will sell like hotcakes.

This is also aimed at the < 7 years old demographic.
Really ancious to see how this thing will sell after the Pokemon effect passes by in 2014. It's an incredibly interesting experiment from Nintendo's part. Most interesting one in the last few years.

Lumyst

what's the like/dislike ratio

I know the videos had lots of dislikes, and it seemed that people were viewing it just to gloat and mock and dislike the video. I guess that as I follow the industry I'm probably going to be more jaded about it. I mean, God forbid a company makes a product that could be enjoyed by children, or even "gasp" designed specifically for children. There was a time when video game consoles could be gifts from parents to children, but then I read about how people are saying "I'm sure my child would enjoy the WiiU but I'm not buying it just for them." The "daddy gamer." I'd think a person with industry knowledge, that knows that Nintendo is interested in making high quality games that even children can enjoy, and can enjoy together with family, would be more interested in a Nintendo console. I mean, I understand that people are children for a very short amount of time compared to the rest of their lives, so that's why the industry focuses on entertaining teens and adults.

But I admit that with the 2DS I was shocked by the radical design at first, maybe that's why there were so many compulsive dislikes.
edit: Actually, that seems likely the reason for all the dislikes, as impressions come in it seems to be a nice system. So I don't have to be so jaded :)

Apparently the build quality is a lot better because its targeted more for little kids. Ironically that improvement makes me want it more than a 3DS. Plus it's a lot smaller than I thought it looked at first.

Man those mock up colors are great. I would love a yellow or blue. I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up when they come out here, just wish they would make some more colors besides this red/blue kick they are on here in NA. I would love that white/red one too. Plus a matching color pouch.

I realized that neogaf is no different from gamefaqs except that it is just better moderated. The same dross still gets in. So much negativity, so much hyperbole, so many irrational knee jerk reactions. Cant take hive mind mentality either.

I feel like every poster needs to let things marinate and then post. The system actually looks sexy to me. I love the retro gameboy mod. 3D means nothing to me so if i didnt already have an xl I would be all over this.

I hope this sells well. I want nintendo to go back to making great and powerful hardware with no gimmicks. And that is what the 2DS is (well the no gimmick part. It could have been even more powerful but nintendo has been trading power for gimmicks as of late). Might get one as a second system.

The Cowboy

Only one I've found so far:
Destructoid
Wasn't expecting this.
There's something about the 2DS that gives me a nice Game Boy Advance vibe. Again, I was surprised at how much I liked it. Holding my 3DS XL next to it in comparison, I was ready for a trade in. I'll have no problem springing for a 2DS when they are released this October.
Roll on release day and thanks axisofweevils for posting the £99 deal.

Lumyst

I hope this sells well. I want nintendo to go back to making great and powerful hardware with no gimmicks. And that is what the 2DS is (well the no gimmick part. It could have been even more powerful but nintendo has been trading power for gimmicks as of late). Might get one as a second system.

Well, I guess the 2nd screen could be seen as the gimmick then :p. But I wonder, was the DS popular because of 2 screens, or because it was a touchscreen? Or was it the software that was tailored to an expanded audience? I think that something goes from "gimmick" to natural advancement as long as it is kept in subsequent products, and is a compelling reason for the product to be purchased again in the future, and we all know that touchscreen products are here to stay.

(Oh and on the other point, the way I see it is that discussions occur over time and opinions change over time as well. If an opinion is wrong it can be challenged and corrected over time. In the case of the 2DS I understand the knee jerk reaction, even to me I was shocked but I think it's because of the radical, unexpected new design. Earlier in the thread there was the example of Apple's Mac Pro which was called a "trash can" for instance.)

eojoko

Those single screen mock-ups look really ugly to me. Something about all that wasted space on the 2DS I find more appealing. Seriously.

As has already been pointed out, the 2DS is not a Nintendo tablet. A Nintendo tablet should be horizontal, like a WiiU gamepad controller. This 2DS, as has already been pointed out, has more of a gameboy (advance-ish) vibe. I think it's great, and, along with the WiiU price drop, I think Nintendo has done exactly what it should have done – what's more, these perfect moves were unpredicted.

jeremy1456

Since it isn't a clamshell design, they could have stuck a proper analogue stick on there. Instead of that crappy "nub".

Full joysticks on handhelds diminish their portability.

Even if they did include a joystick they would probably just put a shitty small one like the Vita has.

The circle pad is far superior to the joysticks on the Vita.

iMerc

i still prefer the clamshell design. i think it's perfect for handhelds.
won't be buying this, though i can see its appeal.

nampad

I don't understand why so many like these one screen mockups. Sure, it looks nice, but it isn't very practical from a gaming perspective. Portrait mode may be nice for webbrowsing, but for gaming, the field of view is just horrible. There is a reason why widescreen is the standard for movies and games.

Lumyst

I don't understand why so many like these one screen mockups. Sure, it looks nice, but it isn't very practical from a gaming perspective. Portrait mode may be nice for webbrowsing, but for gaming, the field of view is just horrible. There is a reason why widescreen is the standard for movies and games.

A little off-topic, but there was something bugging me about recent widescreen monitors, they seemed wide enough but they didn't seem as good for schoolwork in MS Office (not tall enough). I have a laptop that has the 1680x1050 resolution, but I never knew about aspect ratios, just something seemed more pleasant about it. Then I found out about 16:9 and 16:10 and realized that 16:10 has good widescreen as well as being tall enough for working with Excel, Web Browsing, etc. But for multimedia 16:9 seems to be the widely adopted choice (I would say it's unfortunate that computers are also following along with that though).

javac

I'm really interested in seeing a game built around a portrait screen. I think it could look phenomenal.

DaBoss

Exactly, and as we know, human's eyes are aligned horizontally, not vertically.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Those mock-ups remind me of a certain ill-fated device with an awkward vertical screen.

Uortc8R.jpg

Top Bottom