• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Sendou

It will be really curious if the biggest Nintendo game of the year on 3DS doesn't support 3DS the whole time. I'm not saying there's some big picture behind this all but I would feel a little disappointed since I actually enjoy 3D. Makes up for the inferior screen (compared to Vita) in my opinion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not optimized but not fully featured, axing features that would not be viewable with the 2DS anyway.

If the overworld isn't 3D in the final version I will be ticked off immensely. Ever since the perspective shift in BW I was dreaming for an overworld with 3D visuals, and not having it because of a stupid economy version? Bullshit.

When you say 3D, do you mean stereoscopic 3D?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
So I tried the 2DS at pax today and it felt great In my hands. I don't think I'll be replacing my 3ds with it, but it seemed pretty solid.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The biggest thing I worry about the 2DS (which, if any of you at PAX could check out for me that'd be awesome) is if the screens are built the same way as the 3DS and past Nintendo handhelds.

In this age of smartphones and tablets, we're all used to Gorilla Glass, which doesn't even need screen protectors. Under normal wear and tear, it simply does not scratch. I've had my iPhone 4S for 2 years and have absolutely no scratches on the screen, despite not using any sort of protection.

But Nintendo handhelds are different. They're not made with glass of any sort, and so they scratch super easily. This has been true since the original Game Boy. Now, this hasn't recently been a problem for recent handhelds because of the clamshell design. We don't have our screens exposed, and so they don't really have a chance to get damaged. But with the 2DS screens being completely exposed 100% of the time, I genuinely worry about scratches. Especially if they're using the same plastic screen covers as they always use.

Thoughts?

The biggest thing I worry about the 2DS (which, if any of you at PAX could check out for me that'd be awesome) is if the screens are built the same way as the 3DS and past Nintendo handhelds.

In this age of smartphones and tablets, we're all used to Gorilla Glass, which doesn't even need screen protectors. Under normal wear and tear, it simply does not scratch. I've had my iPhone 4S for 2 years and have absolutely no scratches on the screen, despite not using any sort of protection.

But Nintendo handhelds are different. They're not made with glass of any sort, and so they scratch super easily. This has been true since the original Game Boy. Now, this hasn't recently been a problem for recent handhelds because of the clamshell design. We don't have our screens exposed, and so they don't really have a chance to get damaged. But with the 2DS screens being completely exposed 100% of the time, I genuinely worry about scratches. Especially if they're using the same plastic screen covers as they always use.

Thoughts?
the device is built with kids in mind so I expect it to be pretty durable.

and then there's also this

Not the best example but if the closest thing I can find

SmokyDave

It will be really curious if the biggest Nintendo game of the year on 3DS doesn't support 3DS the whole time. I'm not saying there's some big picture behind this all but I would feel a little disappointed since I actually enjoy 3D. Makes up for the inferior screen (compared to Vita) in my opinion.
I agree, my OG 3DS always had the 3D slider at max. Kinda wish I hadn't bought an XL because now the 3D sweet spot is so small as to be useless :(

This is the smartest thing nintendo has done, made it for kids, made it cheap for parents to buy, its going to do well. Especially with the positive hands on reports

Stencil

Shit... This or a [used] XL?? Funny, if I buy an XL I could've gotten one all along, but it wasn't until the 2DS came along to nudge me into buying one...

Also, how will they market the games now?? "Nintendo 2DS for all your 3DS games!" "Mother 3DS (compatible with 2DS)" ????

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are people forgetting that XY has 3D during battles? It was only during the overworld where the 3D vanishes apparently. It could mean that it's only for the demo, since the demo build is an area specifically for demo purposes.

Ah... makes me glad I didn't buy one then. I love the 3D, gives the games that "sharpness", just an optional visual thing that I like.

I haven't noticed any real difference in the sweet spot in the long run. Initially I did, but it was just adjusting to the bigger screens. Now I don't even think about it, I find the sweet spot very easily on my XL and don't lose it enough to bother me at all.

I don't see the problem with the 2DS. I can finally get a handheld that has all that Atlus goodness. And at the same time build that DS catalog. Was going to get a DSlite, but the price is too good for the 2DS.

In the demos for Pokémon, people have noticed that most of the game is not in 3D. Has it been speculated that Pokémon X/Y was optimized for 2DS?

edit: okay, not "optimized" but "with the 2DS in mind"
Isn't Pokemon Dream Radar 100% 2D? Then again it is an AR game so it kind of figures...

They haven't announced anything. So it looks like they aren't planning to at the moment.
I wonder, does NOA still have a hardware department (you know like the US SNES design) as the matte finish reminds me of the Wii Mini (which also did not see Japan).

I haven't noticed any real difference in the sweet spot in the long run. Initially I did, but it was just adjusting to the bigger screens. Now I don't even think about it, I find the sweet spot very easily on my XL and don't lose it enough to bother me at all.
I personally find it does not work well at all at lower brightnesses (which I usually play at due to having fairly dark rooms).

MDX

Thoughts?

My thinking is that one device is more costlier than the other.
But Im not sure how much Gorilla Glass adds to the cost

And consider this, if you buy something for $600 vs $150, you hope that
glass will be strong enough to protect your $600 device.

It's ugly as shit, but it's going to sell because people are intrigued by the lower price and they don't give a crap about looks.

The GBA Micro was praised for the design (Save for a few issues) but released at the end of the GBA's life and released for no reason.

The 2DS has a reason and a market and a good price. It just looks like shit.

MDX

Are people forgetting that XY has 3D during battles? It was only during the overworld where the 3D vanishes apparently. It could mean that it's only for the demo, since the demo build is an area specifically for demo purposes.

Will a six or seven year old really care?
Most tablets and phones dont have 3D screens.

But think about this, by getting the kids to start off with 2DS, where do you think
they will want to go in a couple of years?
They will probably ask their parents for a 3DS !

Imagine as a kid replaying all your old games with the 3D turned on!

Nintendo made a smart move, they are playing the long game.

SmokyDave

Ah... makes me glad I didn't buy one then. I love the 3D, gives the games that "sharpness", just an optional visual thing that I like.
Eh, I'm torn. Everything else about the XL is better, and I've adapted better to losing the 3D than I expected. It's a shame because I really like the 3D effect.

I've read enough posts on the matter to know that it's definitely one of those things that varies from person to person. I had no trouble seeing and enjoying the 3D on my original, but I just can't find a comfortable position with the XL that doesn't result in a ton of ghosting / splitting. I also feel like there's no 'give' like there was with the original, once you find that sweet spot, you really need to work to maintain it.

I've read enough posts on the matter to know that it's definitely one of those things that varies from person to person. I had no trouble seeing and enjoying the 3D on my original, but I just can't find a comfortable position with the XL that doesn't result in a ton of ghosting / splitting. I also feel like there's no 'give' like there was with the original, once you find that sweet spot, you really need to work to maintain it.

I can symphatise. The ghosting is definitely something I struggled with initially. Like it took me a full week to get comfortable with the 3D on the XL (didn't take as long with the original model), I briefly went back to 2D, then slowly worked my way up the slider and now I play on max 3D all the time. I wonder if there's any correlation between the bigger screens and the ease of finding that sweet spot?

Tobor

Eh, I'm torn. Everything else about the XL is better, and I've adapted better to losing the 3D than I expected. It's a shame because I really like the 3D effect.

I can't speak to the 3D on the original, but the 3D on the XL is indeed garbage. It's worthless. The angle I need to hold it in order to make it work without ghosting is uncomfortable to hold for more than 30 seconds. It's crap.

The overall experience of the XL was crap. It's heavy, with bad ergonomics and I hate how the screen wobbles on the hinge. I owned every single model of DS ever released and the screen would lock in position. This thing wobbles like it's broken right out of the box, and I read posts saying that's normal. Unacceptable.

Since Nintendo has apparently forgotten how to make a proper hinge, I welcome the return to a flat one piece unit.

eojoko

I can't speak to the 3D on the original, but the 3D on the XL is indeed garbage. It's worthless. The angle I need to hold it in order to make it work without ghosting is uncomfortable to hold for more than 30 seconds. It's crap.

The overall experience of the XL was crap. It's heavy, with bad ergonomics and I hate how the screen wobbles on the hinge. I owned every single model of DS ever released and the screen would lock in position. This thing wobbles like it's broken right out of the box, and I read posts saying that's normal. Unacceptable.

Since Nintendo has apparently forgotten how to make a proper hinge, I welcome the return to a flat one piece unit.

Hyperbole is not the only way to get your point across. The XL is a quality piece of hardware, sorry you've had a bad experience with it. Sounds like the 2DS will be for you.

As for 3D on the XL:

I agree that it must vary from person to person, because I haven't found this to be true. I did notice that viewing stereoscopic 3D on 3DS (XL or OG) is almost something that needs to be learned – it takes a few weeks before you forget it's there and it feels natural.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
3DS XL sweetspot seems random from person to person. With that said I pretty much easily find mine and lock to it quickly. Also I can pretty much carry it without fail. I have no problem holding it as well.

Will a six or seven year old really care?
Most tablets and phones dont have 3D screens.

But think about this, by getting the kids to start off with 2DS, where do you think
they will want to go in a couple of years?
They will probably ask their parents for a 3DS !

Imagine as a kid replaying all your old games with the 3D turned on!

Nintendo made a smart move, they are playing the long game.

I wasn't referring to 2DS in my post. Just correcting the assumption that "Pokemon will have no 3D effect".

Tobor

Hyperbole is not the only way to get your point across. The XL is a quality piece of hardware, sorry you've had a bad experience with it. Sounds like the 2DS will be for you.

As for 3D on the XL:

I agree that it must vary from person to person, because I haven't found this to be true. I did notice that viewing stereoscopic 3D on 3DS (XL or OG) is almost something that needs to be learned – it takes a few weeks before you forget it's there and it feels natural.

I'm not being hyperbolic. It's not quality hardware. As I said, I've owned every model of the original DS, and they all had good build quality. The XL does not.

I'm not being hyperbolic. It's not quality hardware. As I said, I've owned every model of the original DS, and they all had good build quality. The XL does not.

You can read your post and honestly not see any hyperbole there?

The XL is decent, design-wise, and I've owned every single DS and 3DS model. The OG 3DS, on the other hand, was a mess from an aesthetics and ergonomic perspective.

SmokyDave

It's quality in comparison to the OG 3DS, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Vita or any modern smartphone. I wouldn't describe it as anything better than 'perfunctory'.

As for 3D on the XL:

Maybe, but I never had that issue with my OG machine. The 3D wowed me straight away and I had no issues with maintaining the sweet spot. I find the XL so restrictive that I only play it in 2D.

Tobor

You can read your post and honestly not see any hyperbole there?

The XL is decent, design-wise, and I've owned every single DS and 3DS model. The OG 3DS, on the other hand, was a mess from an aesthetics and ergonomic perspective.

I returned it after three weeks of ownership. I found it to be unacceptable. IMO, it's crap.

I expect a lot better than that for $200. Ironically, the $130 unit looks to be a better buy.

I really disliked the feel of the original 3DS. The plastic felt oily and cheap, the buttons and D-Pad felt like they were made of the wrong material, and the casing creaked under my thumbs.

The XL is much better, but it seems like the colored outer casings are meant to be like removable faceplates. So they kind of shift around and they don't always sit perfectly flush.

They pretty much perfected handheld design with the DSi and DSiXL. It's a bummer that they slid back a bit with the 3DS line. For that reason I'm really interested to see how the 2DS feels.

RM8

I'll say this only once. After seeing many actual photos of this thing I'm not offended by the design anymore. It's probably going to look even acceptable in other non-boring colors.

That being said, it was never meant for me. No 3D and no clamshell absolutely shatters the deal for me.

Sinistral

Thinking of picking up a couple 2DSs for my niece and nephew this holiday, Aged 6 and 7. Having just got a 3DS XL myself, what are some good games we can all play and enjoy together?

ash_ag

Well, the battles being in 3D suggests that it wasn't turned off just for the case of young kids playing the demo and not being able to handle it or something.

I really hope I'm wrong though, because I'm only interested in 3D for the overworld. Battles already have their appeal with the unique textures that were made for them and the Amie induced Pokémon interactions. I also feel it will be distracting to see the 3D effect LED constantly switch between on and off.

Drago

Thinking of picking up a couple 2DSs for my niece and nephew this holiday, Aged 6 and 7. Having just got a 3DS XL myself, what are some good games we can all play and enjoy together?
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Mario Party in November

Dawg

Went to Ninty HQ in Antwerp to try out 2DS.

I was a huge skeptic when I saw the first images etc, but I really really like it. It feels great, it's the right size and build quality is quite nice. If I didn't have an XL, I'd probably buy one.

Have some images I'll upload later.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can you play 3D land on the 2DS? I thought some missions needed it.
Nothing on 3DS requires 3D just 3D adds to the experience. So 3D Land's optical illusion rooms don't quite have the same impact if you can only see them in 2D, but you can still rotate the camera to navigate them.

tuffy

Wonder if Amazon will carry the 2DS since they won't have to deal with returns for screen scratches, hinges, etc.
Amazon isn't even carrying Wii Us directly. I think whatever's going on between the two companies goes way beyond scratched screens.

Celine

Went to Ninty HQ in Antwerp to try out 2DS.

I was a huge skeptic when I saw the first images etc, but I really really like it. It feels great, it's the right size and build quality is quite nice. If I didn't have an XL, I'd probably buy one.

Have some images I'll upload later.
How is the screen quality?

Top Bottom