• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces the New 3DS XL for North America to be released February 13

Hopefully my Target will have PLENTY of the red one..I know that Target is doing a double trade in value promo for video games, does that include consoles? I can trade in my old 3ds xl and get 58 bucks for it(And still keep the adapter) double trade in value will make it a better value than if I traded it at gamestop(Unfortunately did NOT pre order it)
Also got my 16gb microsd card yesterday from amazon, I dont have to format it before installing it? Just hope I Can open up the back of the case, nintendo makes everything so darn difficult

Derpyduck

Banned
What's the process now for getting your digital purchases back from Nintendo? In the past it was to call Nintendo, ask permission, wait a day or two for approval, and then you could download them onto the new hardware. Is it more streamlined now?

What's the process now for getting your digital purchases back from Nintendo? In the past it was to call Nintendo, ask permission, wait a day or two for approval, and then you could download them onto the new hardware. Is it more streamlined now?

If you have the original hardware you need to do a transfer.

so will target actually sell it or is it locked out of the system? I saw some earlier today as well, they had 4 of them locked up (zelda LE N3DSXL), but didnt think to buy it since i have one from gamestop.

Derpyduck

Banned
Hopefully you have the serial number from your old 3DS somewhere. You'll probably have to argue with support for a bit.

I don't. Super. Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll be playing my DS carts when I get the new 3DS this Friday while I await approval. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

so will target actually sell it or is it locked out of the system? I saw some earlier today as well, they had 4 of them locked up (zelda LE N3DSXL), but didnt think to buy it since i have one from gamestop.

Target I went to late last night had them in the case already. I asked if I could buy one and the system blocked the sale. It's a no-go until Friday.

yami4ct

Top-tier:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Etrian Odyssey IV (Seriously one of my favorite JRPGs of all time)
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (If you don't have a Wii U)
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

More Great Games:
Persona Q
Animal Crossing New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Pokemon X or Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Saphire
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 7

Maybe get if you really want:
Kid Icarus: Uprising

Mostly good, but tweaked it just a bit

So someone explain to me this whole PPI thing.

PPI is Pixels Per Inch. Basically it's just the idea that the more pixels you put in a smaller space, the crisper the image is.

The 3DS and 3DS XL have the same screen resolution, so the PPI is lower in the 3DS XL which means the image is not as crisp as a small 3DS. For me, the difference is negligible. Neither of those screens are all that nice looking, so I'll take the bigger one.

Mostly good, but tweaked it just a bit

Pft. Kid Icarus is just too good for you to handle. ;P

Derpyduck

Banned
So someone explain to me this whole PPI thing.

Screen resolution plus screen size determines PPI. If you bump the size of the screen but not the resolution, the PPI gets worse for obvious reasons. That's why the XL's screens are "worse". It's a trade-off some people (like myself) don't mind. I'd rather have worse PPI than having to squint to play some games.

After he pulled tried to ring up the MM XL and failing, he went back to remove all and get on to his co-worker. I counted 5 black, 5 red and only 3 of the MM.
Only 10 regular SKUs?
Nintendo must not have much confidence in the new system then.
I mean our Best Buy got like 40 Wii U's when it launched.

Also PPI has to do with clarity per pixel. Since XL has more screen size, there is less image per pixels.
95 isn't bad per say, but you definitely lose some details playing Smash on the XL vs. new 3DS.

PPI is Pixels Per Inch. Basically it's just the idea that the more pixels you put in a smaller space, the crisper the image is.

The 3DS and 3DS XL have the same screen resolution, so the PPI is lower in the 3DS XL which means the image is not as crisp as a small 3DS. For me, the difference is negligible. Neither of those screens are all that nice looking, so I'll take the bigger one.

so what is the difference exactly? something small? I had a 3DS and when i upgraded to a 3DSXl, i didn't notice the difference.

Pixels per inch. Smaller screen the pixels arent as obvious. Nit- picky imo

i think its the same way.

Screen resolution plus screen size determines PPI. If you bump the size of the screen but not the resolution, the PPI gets worse for obvious reasons. That's why the XL's screens are "worse". It's a trade-off some people (like myself) don't mind. I'd rather have worse PPI than having to squint to play some games.

I am starting to get it, but what is the difference exactly and why is it such a big deal to some gaffers and other people?

Derpyduck

Banned
Only 10 regular SKUs?

The fact that Nintendo only thinks previous DS/3DS owners are going to want one shows you what they think of their chances. Most major cities have a bunch of Target stores, so 10 per store is probably a good amount.

I am starting to get it, but what is the difference exactly and why is it such a big deal to some gaffers and other people?

It means on the XL you're going to see individual pixels more than you would on the regular. Neither screen is remotely good to begin with, so what it should come down to for you is how important is a larger image versus how important portability is.

At most Targets, that doesn't matter. They just open the door, and you literally have to sprint to the electronics section, find the system and grab it before others do. If it is in a display, then you need to make it there first.

hmm thats true, happened during the rosalina amiibo, at least i have running shoes :p

guek

Banned
I know this had likely been answered multiple times but i can't find it elsewhere on the net. Will the xl circle pad pro work with the n3dsxl?

The fact that Nintendo only thinks previous DS/3DS owners are going to want one shows you what they think of their chances. Most major cities have a bunch of Target stores, so 10 per store is probably a good amount.
Guess so. We only have one Target. Then again, I think our local GS is getting 8-10 of each color, so it could just be Target getting low amounts.

I know this had likely been answered multiple times but i can't find it elsewhere on the net. Will the xl circle pad pro work with the n3dsxl?
I think the CCP attaches via charge port right? The port is located in a new area, so because of that it will not work with the new system.

so what is the difference exactly? something small? I had a 3DS and when i upgraded to a 3DSXl, i didn't notice the difference.

i think its the same way.

This is an illustration of the idea behind PPI.

44006i7AB3DB89E2D007C4

The difference between 3DS and 3DS XL is way less extreme than these examples though. If it hasn't bothered you, then don't worry about it.

Derpyduck

Banned
Guess so. We only have one Target. Then again, I think our local GS is getting 8-10 of each color, so it could just be Target getting low amounts.

You need to move. =)

For whatever reason, I have 8 Target stores within 20 miles of my house. Not sure why we need that many, but it's nice to have when a release like this happens.

You need to move. =)

For whatever reason, I have 8 Target stores within 20 miles of my house. Not sure why we need that many, but it's nice to have when a release like this happens.
To be fair, my town isn't that big so 2 Targets would be overkill. We have 2 Gamestops though, so I doubt having a hard time finding one if I wanted it.
Our Target never got Roselina which sucks though.

Only 10 regular SKUs?

You mean retailer's purchasers, right? Nintendo doesn't create a magic purchase order that says how many a particular retailer might get. Stock is purchased and allocated per consumer spending habits.

I might be incorrect for larger retailers and how they interact with Nintendo, but I've been doing this exact job for my company for around 4 years...

if anyone gets one early please post receipt. It's a great bargaining chip for some sellers breaking the
pointless
street date

Derpyduck

Banned
To be fair, my town isn't that big so 2 Targets would be overkill. We have 2 Gamestops though, so I doubt having a hard time finding one if I wanted it.
Our Target never got Roselina which sucks though.

That's why having a bunch of Targets is nice. For whatever reason, sometimes some Target stores in the area won't get specific items, whereas others will. I assume they're doing that based on the history of what has sold well per store in the past. I doubt Nintendo is making that determination for them.

You mean retailer's purchasers, right? Nintendo doesn't create a magic purchase order that says how many a particular retailer might get. Stock is purchased and allocated per consumer spending habits.

I might be incorrect for larger retailers and how they interact with Nintendo, but I've been doing this exact job for my company for around 4 years...
That is true. The system from what I remember is that suppliers can promise a certain amount of units and retailers order what amount they want per region.
The MM XL situation was that Nintendo overpromised on system pre-order numbers for Best Buy and Fry's.

That's why having a bunch of Targets is nice. For whatever reason, sometimes some Target stores in the area won't get specific items, whereas others will. I assume they're doing that based on the history of what has sold well per store in the past. I doubt Nintendo is making that determination for them.
I think you are right about that. I doubt Nintendo themselves are responsible for the piss poor supply of MM XL's. It is probably miscommunication between them and their NA manufacturers.

So it seems like Target is gonna be my only hope for snagging an MM system on Friday...but I can't afford one without the deal Gamestop is running.

I wonder if I could buy a red or black one at Gamestop and do a no receipt exchange at Target, assuming I can find a Target that still has one by that time.

Hmmm....

Yep.
Cover Plate No. 12 is really nice.
Here is an image of a felt cover:
20141215_1847481.jpg

There are even glow-in-the-dark...
3e4bd596-s.jpg

Makes the fact that NA is never getting it that much worse.
Oh my.. I want the regular n3DS so bad. I still cannot accept the fact that these aren't being released in NA. Nintendo will surely see the error of their decision and release these here. If not then I'll wait for their next generation handheld. I really hope they stick with the idea of changeable cover plates and continue implementing them in the future because they are awesome.

Oh my.. I want the regular n3DS so bad. I still cannot accept the fact that these aren't being released in NA. Nintendo will surely see the error of their decision and release these here. If not then I'll wait for their next generation handheld. I really hope they stick with the idea of changeable cover plates and continue implementing them in the future because they are awesome.
Someone made a theory that they want to get rid of OG XL before introducing the regular model to avoid too many SKUs in the market. I hope that is the plan and at E3 they will announce the regular model.

Although having a smart theory and them actually doing it isn't that same boat.

Grok4Spock

Anyone who doesn't have their old 3ds and needs the serial number to request a transfer, just log on to club Nintendo. There is listing of all the games and systems you've registered. The hardware lists the serials. You just have to figure the approximate date you registered the 3ds that is linked to your nnid with the software you want transferred.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Well just ordered myself a New 3DS XL from Amazon.fr. Here in the UK it cost £180 but since I ordered it from France in Euros it's only costing me £140. Once I've transferred over all my stuff to the new one I can trade in my old XL for around £60 cash or maybe sell it on the bay for more, dunno yet. Roll on the weekend so I can get some Zelda on the go :D.

Effect

So did Nintendo release information on how to do the system transfer if you are getting the Monster Hunter bundle that comes with the game installed?

The video I saw that they did release shows the sd cards being deleted prior to the transfer taking place.

So did Nintendo release information on how to do the system transfer if you are getting the Monster Hunter bundle that comes with the game installed?

The video I saw that they did release shows the sd cards being deleted prior to the transfer taking place.

You do the transfer, and then the game becomes tied to your Nintendo Network ID on the new console. Simply redownload it from the eshop and enjoy.

However, do NOT login into your Nintendo Network ID on the new 3ds until AFTER you do the transfer. Otherwise, you're boned.

Well just ordered myself a New 3DS XL from Amazon.fr. Here in the UK it cost £180 but since I ordered it from France in Euros it's only costing me £140. Once I've transferred over all my stuff to the new one I can trade in my old XL for around £60 cash or maybe sell it on the bay for more, dunno yet. Roll on the weekend so I can get some Zelda on the go :D.
I am really tempted to pull the trigger on Amazon.fr since they are only charging 10 dollars for global shipping.
Can you change the language to English?
Says it is only $160 for the system+shipping which is cheaper than what it would have sold in USD.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I am really tempted to pull the trigger on Amazon.fr since they are only charging 10 dollars for global shipping.
Can you change the language to English?

Yeah you should be able to, well hopefully since I don't speak a word of French haha.

You do the transfer, and then the game becomes tied to your Nintendo Network ID on the new console. Then, you can redownload it.

However, do NOT login into your Nintendo Network ID on the new 3ds until after you do the transfer.

This.

It is VERY important that you do not log in with your NNID on your new 3DS before you do the transfer. When going through initial setup, tell it you don't want to set that up! If you do, apparently when you do the transfer the first step will be to totally format the target system because there's no way for it to merge eshop data between two NNID's. If you do the transfer the correct way, what will happen is that it will just delete what's on the SD card for the new 3DS, and merge all of the eshop data from the new system with your NNID, including the MH4U game.

I haven't gone through the process myself, but that's my understanding of it. If you do mess up and accidentally put your NNID on there and try to do a transfer, then sadly you will need to call Nintendo and hope they can reinstate the game.

However, as Vyse mentions, you will be required to redownload the game as the game itself will be deleted from the SD card (just not the license).

This is why I wish they would have just provided a download code instead to redeem on the eshop or something. Thie system transfer stuff is pure shenanigans!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much are the n3DS faceplates in Japan? Want the boo one but it is about £25 on eBay. If it is much cheaper in Japan I'll wait until I next go over or ask a relative to grab one.

Yeah you should be able to, well hopefully since I don't speak a word of French haha.
Googled it and PAL seems to have the following languages: -english, -french, -german, -spanish, -portugese, -italian, -dutch, -russian

Screw it, I am going for it. The price is better than what US version would be priced at.

Top Bottom