• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Banning YouTube Livestreams as Part of Nintendo Creators Program

What year is it at nintendo?

snesclassic-1280-1498599527986_1280w.jpg

Someone explain to me how this is a response to pdp?
It involves jumping to the conclusion that this announcement is tantamount to Nintendo saying their games cannot be livestreamed. That Nintendo saw the PDP situation, and decided livestreams as a platform aren't safe for their brand. Considering a lot of advertising partners for YouTube seem to feel the same way, it would not be unheard of.

Which isn't what this is. So far, all this is is an indication that Nintendo doesn't want their partners streaming games on YouTube from accounts that take part in their revenue share platform. That change could be due to any number of factors.

Considering this isn't even a public statement (rather an update made to the ToS at midnight on a Thursday), it's difficult to say exactly what this means. But I can't blame people for assuming the worst when it comes to Nintendo and modern internet culture.

If this is indicative of a larger policy shift (as the doomsayers insist) - we'll hear more tomorrow.

Not saying Nintendo is right in doing this, but some Youtubers are definitely not helping spreading racist bullshit in their videos.

Josephl64

Most of the larger youtubers are under multi channel networks right?

From what other people are saying I'm guessing this still affects them.

danm999

Makes sense to me. PDP was the face of streaming and ruined that for the rest

Yep.

Imagine you're a hyper conservative Japanese company like Nintendo, dipping its toes into revenue sharing with YouTube streamers, a group of people honestly you probably don't really understand and who are extremely nascent as entertainers.

Then the most mainstream, most high profile, most widely recognised YouTuber, ostensibly the one who should have the most media training, the most experience, the most to lose financially, lets fly with pretty much the most heinous racial slur in the English language.

Fuck yeah that company would stop any of the people they revenue share with going in front of a live camera with their games.

Dynomutt

Why is this a bad thing? Can someone clarify? I'm not the biggest social gamer what ever that means. Didn't even buy Destiny 2. I prefer the Horizons and TLOU and Uncharted's which can often get ruined by Youtuber's and leaks.

Are livestreams to be expected and are they integral to a games success? I don't personally see anything wrong it's their creation/property right?

Just looking to learn more.

Thanks a lot, PewDieShit. Bad enough Nintendo doesn't want any content created using their IP unless you let them muscle you out of some of your profits, now they are putting out more of a strong-arm towards streamers and uploaders.

Why is this a bad thing? Can someone clarify? I'm not the biggest social gamer what ever that means. Didn't even buy Destiny 2. I prefer the Horizons and TLOU and Uncharted's which can often get ruined by Youtuber's and leaks.

Are livestreams to be expected and are they integral to a games success? I don't personally see anything wrong it's their creation/property right?

It's bad because it used to be allowed and now it isn't.

Blackage

This just seems like the next irrational step to me from Nintendo, seriously doubt it has anything to do with PDP. Nintendo and a lot of Japanese companies are just anti-internet/youtube/streaming.

Boke1879

While this is shit. It was bound to happen.

When youtube and our own community fail to police the worst. These companies are going to take matters into their own hands.

How many times in the PDP threads have many of us said he's going to fuck it up for everyone else? Hell a lot of small streamers came out against him really only because they knew it would fuck up their money. Now here we are.

Some Nobody

I suppose it's worth quoting from Nintendo's guidelines in the website linked in the email, which go into a bit more detail from their perspective:

Am I the only one who initially thought this meant you couldn't livestream Nintendo games? Because as this reads, they're actually saying you cannot livestream on an account as a Nintendo creator, full stop. You can't create a video about Zelda and then also livestream Horizon. In effect, they're controlling ALL the content you make, not just theirs. Wow.

Am I the only one who initially thought this meant you couldn't livestream Nintendo games? Because as this reads, they're actually saying you cannot livestream on an account as a Nintendo creator, full stop. You can't create a video about Zelda and then also livestream Horizon. In effect, they're controlling ALL the content you make, not just theirs. Wow.
I think they just won’t let you monetize if you livestream Nintendo content and if you are part of the creators program.

They will if you break off and do it manually and update them each time a video is uploaded via submission (as long as it doesn’t break guidelines aka racist nonsense etc)

danm999

This just seems like the next irrational step to me from Nintendo, seriously doubt it has anything to do with PDP. Nintendo and a lot of Japanese companies are just anti-internet/youtube/streaming.

Nah they'd nix the entire program and block YouTube videos all together if that was their stance.

Only blocking live-streaming makes it very clear why this happened.

Jigorath

Banned

Nintendo is something else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Um, PewDiePie ist going on. Did you not pay any attention at all? There's gonna be more I'm sure.

Honestly I don't think it's about PdP. This is more about how controlling they are in terms of people using their IPs for whatever.

What, you think ATLUS doing stuff like disallowing people to take screenshots in Persona 5 is inspired by pdp? Doubtful.

It's all about control, control, control.

Some Nobody

I think they just won’t let you monetize if you livestream Nintendo content and if you are part of the creators program.

They will if you break off and do it manually and update them each time a video is uploaded via submission (as long as it doesn’t break guidelines aka racist nonsense etc)

Yeah, but...that's not what this says:

Live streaming on YouTube falls outside the scope of the Nintendo Creators Program. You cannot broadcast content on YouTube Live from the account you have registered to the Nintendo Creators Program. If you plan to broadcast content on YouTube Live, you have a couple of options. First, you can broadcast content on YouTube Live from a channel that is not registered to the Nintendo Creators Program. Or, you can cancel your channel's registration to the Nintendo Creators Program and instead, register your videos containing Nintendo’s IP to the program separately. Videos which had previously been registered through your channel would need to be reregistered individually.

Wouldn't it say, "You cannot broadcast Nintendo content on YouTube Live" if that's what it meant? Legal stuff is intricate for a reason, right?

Don't mind this at all.

It's their property. Considering that streamers are currently seen as top tier garbage right now after the most famous one showed his ass again, I don't blame them. More gaming companies should follow suit and stop allowing shitheads to profit off of their stuff.

MTC100

Banned
Is this apt for the SEGA does what Nintendo doesn't?

I mean.. it is 2017 right?

Sega is also backwards, just watch the Jim Quisition Review of Sonic Mania... Atlus also denied streaming and sharing Screenshots on your PS4 with the share function and Persona(and also restricted streamers on what they should or should not show). Konami got hurt in their honor when Kojima judged their metal gear zombies,even though he wasn't that harsh.

It's a Japanese backwardness, I think it has much to do with their culture.

RRockman

Banned
Wow, this is right after P-cube banned streaming of chaos;child too

Honestly I don't think it's about PdP. This is more about how controlling they are in terms of people using their IPs for whatever.

What, you think ATLUS doing stuff like disallowing people to take screenshots in Persona 5 is inspired by pdp? Doubtful.

It's all about control, control, control.

This happened before the recent PewDieidiot incident though.

It's their property. Considering that streamers are currently seen as top tier garbage right now after the most famous one showed his ass again, I don't blame them. More gaming companies should follow suit and stop allowing shitheads to profit off of their stuff.

Punish the entirety because of a minority?

That's like banning all of NeoGaf because a few posters got out of hand

Chichikov

I can imagine that Nintendo don't want their games associated with, or for kids searching for their games to be greeted by, cock heads who casually shout racial slurs at their in-game opponents. This is unfortunate and unfair, but inevitable.
I'm sure Toyota doesn't want to be associated with ISIS, but they don't get to pull YouTube videos of their trucks.

And just do we're clear, I fully understand the legal differences between the cases and why Nintendo can do it and Toyota probably can't. I'm just stressing that I do not believe that a desire to avoid some potentially bad PR is a good enough reason to yet and limit speech like that.

Punish the entirety because of a minority?

That's like banning all of NeoGaf because a few posters got out of hand
It's like the only option they really have considering YouTube doesn't police their videos and refuse to even rein in their own biggest star for constantly being a racist douchebag.

As much I'm not willing to run to defend major corporations, a lot of the onus falls on YouTube for not doing anything about their Hitler Youth problem.

Top Bottom