• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

mindsale

its the opposite of safe

I should specify, Directs feel so safe. No risk. Pre-recorded lame bits and the plastered smiles of people playing demo builds of games.

I want to see vulnerability. I want to see Nintendo Land fireworks. I want to see Wii Music tone-deafness.

I should specify, Directs feel so safe. No risk. Pre-recorded lame bits and the plastered smiles of people playing demo builds of games.

I want to see vulnerability. I want to see Nintendo Land fireworks. I want to see Wii Music tone-deafness.

So watching them to fail is your kink.

After the disaster that was the Switch reveal, this is a Godsend. That presentation killed the Switch's momentum. I almost didn't get one.

Yeah, the more I think of it, in retrospect I really feel a lot of the negativity was because of just how damn clunky and awkward that presentation was. Too much information that was poorly-presented or just plain not presented at all. Felt nowhere near as confident as their best Directs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Unless you're in the gaming press and wanting your ego stroked, what the hell difference does it make if it's a live event or a pre-recorded event. You'll still be staring at a screen and watching the event from home.

They still have a big presence AT E3 for the people who are going.

Are Live Press Conferences like a fetish or something?

I guess there's some fun in watching a live show failure, like Ubisoft. But, well, we have Ubisoft for that.

LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

edit: aaaaaand last post on the page GODDAMN IT

Why is an elaborate stage show the defining sign on being 'a major player'?

Pretaped or not, the information will be streamed out and trend on Twitter seconds later - where the rest of the normal human population will see it, blissfully unaware of exactly how it was announced.

The people who actually care about live vs taped are the most niche of the niche.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Really nothing to gain. The Switch has hype you just have to maintain it.

Something going wrong would only get in the way, so why risk it.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm going to spend time watching advertising, I'd rather it was competent, personally.

For real.
It's all advertising at the end of the day. "real reaction" isn't all that natural nowadays anyway as certain companies move employees in front rows to cheer or just straight up play clap samples

?oe?oe

Zelda was fine without a pressie or digital event. This is 2017. Information is instantaneous and most people don't care how things are announced.

LOL @ these responses.

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

I'm not sure I understand. They haven't done this for years.
Yeah, the more I think of it, in retrospect I really feel a lot of the negativity was because of just how damn clunky and awkward that presentation was. Too much information that was poorly-presented or just plain not presented at all. Felt nowhere near as confident as their best Directs.
The coolest bits were the Koizumi magic trick segments.
Wonder if they'll build on that

Alrus

I think Oblivion's post was sarcastic.

Also, good. Treehouse live is great. Nintendo absolutely sucks at live conferences anyway.

LOL @ these responses.

http://kotaku.com/lets-rate-e3-2014-1591603351

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/who-won-e3-2014-you-decide-ign-versus

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/e3-2014-623692/e3-2014-who-had-the-best-conference-1486304/

At their best, giving up on being a major player seems to have worked out well for them.

I'm not sure I understand. They haven't done this for years.

The coolest bits were the Koizumi magic trick segments.
Wonder if they'll build on that

It was that part that made me think "this would've been cool in a Direct". Koizumi has so much presence and charisma I wouldn't mind him being the permanent host.

Galang

Banned
Good. They have a good format with the digital presentation + treehouse combo that I wish other companies would adapt. The live presentation this year with Switch was also awkwardly atrocious so please no more

LOL @ these responses.

This is not the equivalent of that at all. It's the superior format. If a live press conference is that hot girl, a well done digital event is that supermodel. I don't understand how this equates to Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry.

Anteo

I want them to be real.

I own a Switch and I can't wait for the games they show.

But I want them to play the game
. Either bring SpaceWorld back or show your silly bits live.

And e3 conferences are the way to show live gameplay?

Treehouse stream is far superior to any e3 conference in that regard

LOL @ these responses.

el
oh
el

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is not the equivalent of that at all. It's the superior format. If a live press conference is that hot girl, a well done digital event is that supermodel. I don't understand how this equates to Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry.

Then why doesn't everyone do it?

Lingitiz

LOL @ these responses.

This is like...the most out of touch comment.

KtSlime

LOL @ these responses.

Not saying that Nintendo has anywhere near the power of Apple to do their own thing, but Apple doesn't show up to these types of conferences in the electronics/computer/phone space either. They just do their own thing, and people/bloggers/journalists will follow.

Japanese presentations do not belong at a western gaming conference. This was a wise decision, especially since so many gave them such grief for the Switch presentation.

Shaanyboi

Banned
LOL @ these responses.

Is this a joke post?

How is this in any way the equivalent? Fuck-tons of people still watch this presentation. Countless news outlets still write about the relevant information. Nintendo still has an E3 booth and with only one major game, the line at said booth dwarfed just about everyone else (which is only made easier by the fact that more and more publishers over the years have dropped out of the conference entirely.)

This reflects nothing about Nintendo's status in the industry. People like the Direct because it's a punchy format that lets Nintendo show their personality as opposed to a bunch of dudes awkwardly reading their lines on stage. The only joy to derive from a live press conference (unless you're easily swayed by "crowd hype") is that it's really funny when things go wrong or jokes fall flat.

Your post wasn't worth being at the top of a page anyway.

mindsale

And e3 conferences are the way to show live gameplay?

Treehouse stream is far superior to any e3 conference in that regard

Gameplay? No, it's not the best way to show that. The best way to show gameplay, especially in pre-release builds, is safe trailers and staged sequences and infomercial caliber employees streaming demo builds.

But the best way to show that you have confidence in your product and you're in touch with your consumer base is to present your video games at the largest video game event of the year, especially now that it's open to not just the press.

Edit: When I said I want them to play the game, I meant "play the game of bring hardware and software to the major hardware and software conventions," not literally playing a game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's disappointing. As long as they have games, though? Whatever. That matters more to me than an hour of spectacle... though it would've been cool.

As long as it's not "Zelda is literally the only game we have" or 2015 levels of bad, I'm good. 2013 and 2014 were both cool to wake up to.

LOL @ these responses.

You can grow up now. They haven't done a press conference since 2014 and oh wait what's that? They're still a major player? Lmao people pushing this year after year. I've never seen a company get into people's heads.

TLZ

Banned
Yep I knew it a Digital Event. All they have to do is follow the formula of this last Nintendo Direct. Great pacing with content.
But the last direct wasn't impressive IMO switch content wise. The 3DS content was much better. I hope they deliver better for E3.

Good. Their new format for Directs will drive me crazy in hype and disappointment (When no new Pro Wrestling is announced or hinted at)

Top Bottom