• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

But the last direct wasn't impressive IMO switch content wise. The 3DS content was much better. I hope they deliver better for E3.

I never talked about how good the content was. That's subjective. The point was it had content after content and good flow.

Why would you think a Direct right before this E3 would have big titles? Everyone knew they were going to hold back.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Japanese presentations do not belong at a western gaming conference. This was a wise decision, especially since so many gave them such grief for the Switch presentation.

Japanese presentations don't belong at a western gaming conference?

You mean like the presentations that Japanese company, Nintendo Ltd., gave in western conferences all the way up until 2014?

Similar to fellow Japanese video game corporation, Sony Electronic Entertainment?

HardRojo

So long as bombs and megatons are dropped, it's fine.

ZWd61uA_d.jpg

I'm not even watching EA's or Ubisoft's conference this year because they've gotten too flashy with little to show while even if Nintendo has the same amount of content, the tighter pacing makes everything less obnoxious.

guyssorry

All i care about is the announcements. I don't care how it is presented to me. If digital means less cringe, then that is also a positive.

Bad call Nintendo. Directs are still very restricted for Nintendo audience and given how Switch is becoming a huge mainstream hit is not really a good move to constrict it's live range appeal. Not only gaming dedicated media will be covering a live conference but the common media as well. Nintendo needs to change this next years, this is not Wii U anymore.

TLZ

Banned
I never talked about how good the content was. That's subjective. The point was it had content after content and good flow.

Why would you think a Direct right before this E3 would have big titles? Everyone knew they were going to hold back.

Well the 3DS did so I just expected the same.

Anyway I agree the format was nice. I just want and hope better content next. I want to see nice surprises too.

13ruce

Banned
Remember Zelda was the hottest thing last E3.
A live show is not required the treehouse and direct are a nice replacement. And this E3 will be big for Nintendo with Mario Odyssey, game reveals and more.

Platy

Thank you.

Give me rushed round up of news like the last direct instead of 3 minutes of kojima walking in a light road

Bad call Nintendo. Directs are still very restricted for Nintendo audience and given how Switch is becoming a huge mainstream hit is not really a good move to constrict it's live range appeal. Not only gaming dedicated media will be covering a live conference but the common media as well. Nintendo needs to change this next years, this is not Wii U anymore.

How much wide-range appeal do you think an E3 stage presentation has to casuals?

People were saying this last year, and it didn't seem to make much of a dent. You can market and advertise without a stage show that is seen mostly by folks like us.

The information gets out there. That's literally all that matters.

dont like it, live presentations is what e3 is all about. shows me they dont have much to show. hope im wrong
The only benefit is audience clapping, and that's not even guaranteed like the January event.
You can have a better shot, edited, and paced show including footage featuring the creators without having to do live translations. If they have the content, like 2014, it's the way to go.

Koh

Meh, I'll catch the headlines and thread titles then.

Live events have potential for complete and utter hilariousness, or shocking reveals in front of a raving audience. They are designed to entertain (EA sucks at this though!). That orchestra at Sony's even was so unexpected and memorable. PEGGLE 2!!!!

Nanashrew

Banned

What?

TLZ

Banned

Dont you worry. With its popularity everyone will come searching for it instead and posting about it everywhere. It's not like everyone's not on YouTube anyway.

A total of 0 people will likely skip out on a live stream of new announcements because its' pre recorded.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Huh? Unless youre on the stage, streamed vs live is irrelevant for coverage

Live events have potential for complete and utter hilariousness, or shocking reveals in front of a raving audience. They are designed to entertain (EA sucks at this though!). That orchestra at Sony's even was so unexpected and memorable. PEGGLE 2!!!!

Pffft, Nintendo's like "been there, done that....we had a live orchestra in 2011".

What I'm confused is they've been doing this successfully going on four years now and we're still seeing complaints like this:

dont like it, live presentations is what e3 is all about. shows me they dont have much to show. hope im wrong

LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

edit: aaaaaand last post on the page GODDAMN IT

Ushay

Something like a digital event is fine, as long as they announce Xenoblade 2 for this year and Metroid for next!

Fat4all

Banned

I don't think the media will have a hard time covering a YouTube video

LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

edit: aaaaaand last post on the page GODDAMN IT
You're putting E3 on a pedestal.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The amount of content people gross online has increased exponentially. All the major news sites will still provide coverage for the applicable audiences. Who exactly are they missing at that point?

messiaen

Directs are always preferred. The live conferences are awkward and feel like a chore to watch; really hope the other publishers follow suit at some point. I don't even bother tuning into the conferences anymore.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Expected. Guess the theatre is reserved for the Splatoon2 event.
Guess we can finally put that "once Nintendo has new hardware, they'll be back on stage" delusion to rest.

QUICK let's overreact and make proclamations like we did last year and that amounted to nothing!

Well , they can't have a gigantic booth dedicated to zelda breath of the wild this year.
I mean , glad if they manage to pull off something similar 2 years in a row but if they do , this won't be good for the console going forward , IMO

Ogodei

Now that Iwata's gone, none of their major presenters seem to know any English, bar Reggie. This behooves the digital format.

Alrus

Well the 3DS did so I just expected the same.

Anyway I agree the format was nice. I just want and hope better content next. I want to see nice surprises too.

The 3DS really didn't have anything particularly big in the last direct. A bunch of late projects that Nintendo will unceremoniously dump in July isn't equal to big.

Why do people keep bringing up Sony orchestra? Nintendo did it with Skyward Sword in 2011 I think.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well , they can't have a gigantic booth dedicated to zelda breath of the wild this year.
I mean , glad if they manage to pull off something similar 2 years in a row but if they do , this won't be good for the console going forward , IMO

What does that have to do with no live show? Do you think their booth is gonna be barren?

Considering how the live Switch presentation went in January I'm perfectly okay with it. That presentation reminded me how awkward and forced things can get. Bring on the Direct and Treehouse Live.

I know a lot of people are saying they aren't shocked but, didn't Nintendo say "A big E3 this year." ? I think that's the reason why some thought a live presentation might be in the works. However yeah the directs is the thing they like now.

Top Bottom