• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Not too surprised. Will make the Switch reveal press conference an outlier though, in today's era of Nintendo.

I'm personally more interested in whether they will bring back the Nintendo World Championship, though.

well thats fucking disappointing. so much for a "big E3".

Direct can be great and all sure, its just not the same without a live show/presentation.

I absolutely believe Nintendo could do a good live stage presentation if they really wanted to, but the January event certainly did nothing to prove it.

Direct can be great and all sure, its just not the same without a live show/presentation.

Last year was Nintendo's biggest E3 since 2010 and they only showcased one game to the public (and a few others during Treehouse).

Nanashrew

Banned
The 3DS really didn't have anything particularly big in the last direct. A bunch of late projects that Nintendo will unceremoniously dump in July isn't equal to big.

Yep. It's like that final push in its lifespan rather than just quitting the system cold turkey like they usually do. Outside of Dragon Quest 11, there does not seem to be any high profile games for the 3DS family on the horizon.

Kirby is getting a couple of small games, Pikmin is done by a different company, Ever Oasis was announced last E3, Miitomia is a localization of a game that came out in Japan in December of last year.

NateDrake

Unless you are a member of the media and sitting in the audience, what the fuck is the difference between a pre-recorded presentation and live? Applause? Big deal. Content can be showcased in a better manner in a pre-recorded presentation. It's that simple.

Prologue

It feels so rinky-dink and safe. Whatever.

its the opposite of safe

Very much safe.

I'm not sure I understand. They haven't done this for years.

The coolest bits were the Koizumi magic trick segments.
Wonder if they'll build on that

Because they were dead in the water with Wii u

Why do people not get that Nintendo changing to a digital format never had anything to do with the amount of games they had to show or lack of confidence? They changed because it works better.

They barely had any games and their sales showed their confidence. Who would go on stage with their past circumstances ?

Why do people not get that Nintendo changing to a digital format never had anything to do with the amount of games they had to show or lack of confidence? They changed because it works better.

Their last live show was earlier this year and it was pretty bad. They just don't know how to put on a live show anymore. Their last live E3 was was back in 2012, where they actually thought this was a good way to end it

https://youtu.be/e1dUDq74cHo?t=4189

What does not having a live press conference have to do with how big their E3 will be? E3 is not confined to the presentations and even if it was, they can still have a big presentation in this format.

Malus

Unless you are a member of the media and sitting in the audience, what the fuck is the difference between a pre-recorded presentation and live? Applause? Big deal. Content can be showcased in a better manner in a pre-recorded presentation. It's that simple.

Plus a shit ton of reaction videos get posted to Youtube afterwards anyways, so we're not really missing out on anything. You can even watch it live with a streamer of your choosing.

Ivan 3414

Remember the first year they didn't show up to E3's stage and people claimed journalists would completely ignore them and not cover their conference?

It was like people forgot how the internet worked, solely to frame the news as an L for Nintendo.

Very much safe.

Because they were dead in the water with Wii u

They barely had any games and their sales showed their confidence. Who would go on stage with their past circumstances ?
It's kind of dumb to think they were only doing digital events and directs because Wii U bombed, tho

How the fuck does having an E3 conference mean if you're having a big E3 or not. Stop with that bs already. I'm tired of it.

Going on YouTube to watch people's reactions is what I do every year now because there's lots and lot of them. People will even make a YouTube video of everyone's reactions in one.

How much wide-range appeal do you think an E3 stage presentation has to casuals?

People were saying this last year, and it didn't seem to make much of a dent. You can market and advertise without a stage show that is seen mostly by folks like us.

The information gets out there. That's literally all that matters.

Dont you worry. With its popularity everyone will come searching for it instead and posting about it everywhere. It's not like everyone's not on YouTube anyway.

A total of 0 people will likely skip out on a live stream of new announcements because its' pre recorded.

Last year a big media (non-gaming related) asset was pretty much ignoring Nintendo was even present at E3, they only mentioned Sony and Microsoft. I can't remember which one was, NYT, CNN... can't confirm, but was a big one. Yes, the media takes the E3 Live Presentation in their counts, they won't care to coverage a YouTube video made mostly for Nintendo dedicated fans. So yes, Nintendo needs to have a stronger presence into the E3 for the media to notice their presence.

Bad call Nintendo. Directs are still very restricted for Nintendo audience and given how Switch is becoming a huge mainstream hit is not really a good move to constrict it's live range appeal. Not only gaming dedicated media will be covering a live conference but the common media as well. Nintendo needs to change this next years, this is not Wii U anymore.

Wait is this the common media that make endless articles about the crap people post on Twitter or a different common media?

Not only did Nintendo not have a live show last year, they didn't even have a Digital Event. And Zelda was still the most talked about game at the entire expo.

Some of you are just plain out of touch when it comes to how people consume E3 coverage in the modern era. A live conference is simply one way to expose your upcoming products... it's no longer the default "best" way.

Gamespot: Why Nintendo Won E3 2014 https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-nintendo-won-e3-2014/1100-6420391/

IGN E3 2014 Fan Poll: Who Won Best Conference? Best Games? Best Overall? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXexrUl2co
(Spoiler alert: Nintendo wins all three categories)

You can have a "big E3" without a press conference.

What a shame. Their E3s have been terrible since they moved to the Direct format.

Lol no they haven't.

Last year a big media (non-gaming related) asset was pretty much ignoring Nintendo was even present at E3, they only mentioned Sony and Microsoft. I can't remember which one was, NYT, CNN... can't confirm, but was a big one. Yes, the media takes the E3 Live Presentation in their counts, they won't care to coverage a YouTube video made mostly for Nintendo dedicated fans. So yes, Nintendo needs to have a stronger presence into the E3 for the media to notice their presence.

Yeah, whoever that was that didn't cover Zelda sure fucked up its sales.

Zelda got tons of attention winning game of the show from most publications and it was the only thing they were showcasing.
What did you want them to present exactly when Sony and Ms were dropping 1st party/ 3rd party games?Nintendo showed off one game last year.
They only had one game to show. Not sure what you'd want them to do. A live show wouldn't of made it better

wtd2009

Considering how awkward the switch conference was I'm fine with this. I hope they do something fun like the puppet show presentation a couple years ago,or something totally different.

Well the 3DS did so I just expected the same.

Anyway I agree the format was nice. I just want and hope better content next. I want to see nice surprises too.

I agree the content and surprises should be better at E3. I've got Retros game and Metroid there.

Eliseo

You have no idea what the hell are you talking about.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I truly do not think live presentations are important anymore.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer has > 20 million views and was premiered during a Japanese event at like 12 am central time.

Lingitiz

Not only did Nintendo not have a live show last year, they didn't even have a Digital Event. And Zelda was still the most talked about game at the entire expo.

Some of you are just plain out of touch when it comes to how people consume E3 coverage in the modern era. A live conference is simply one way to market your products... it's no longer the default "best" way.

As someone that works in games marketing, we constantly have conversations about the importance on E3 and the relevance of the show. And a key takeaway is how good Nintendo is at owning share of voice for the entirety of the show through multiple events. They generally have a live fan-centric event (Nintendo World Championships), a Direct, and then Treehouse which outperforms every livestream for the remainder of the week. It's an incredibly smart tactic and almost oddly forward thinking approach by them.

Before people start pointing at last year. What would you do? The Switch wasn't ready for an unveil, the 3DS and Wii U lineups were not strong enough to sustain a full show. The only thing they had was Zelda and they knew it, and even then everyone came away blown away by it and it dominated all conversation as it pertained to games playable on the show floor.

TLZ

Banned

That's before the switch was released and breaking numbers ;)

Watch all these media outlets begging for coverage now.

hatchx

Banned
I don't care how they do it. It's just a platform for them to make announcements and show trailers. It's the announcements and trailers that are exciting.

And the January press conference was pretty hype in retrospect. The region free, solid price, and announcements of games that will end up being legendary (Zelda, Mario, splatoon 2, arms) were significant. The only reason we were disappointed were a bunch of opportunist liars like LKD and Emily Rogers, and fanboy dreams, of course.

No surprise there. They've done good things with the Direct, so I think they should keep it rolling. Everybody's going to watch it, anyhow. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year.

Kindekuma

Banned
Yes! I love the snappiness and presentation style of the Directs. Then immediately afterward it goes to the Treehouse to demonstrate some games we just saw. It's a great formula. Gets to the point, and then directly to the games afterward with no real filler BS.

Seik

Banned
I'm pretty used to the Digital Event + Threehouse and after a couple of times I'd even say that it stands on it's own at the same level of hype than a press conference.

That Iwata vs Reggie intro from a couple years ago is in my memory forever!

Deku89

I'm hoping they have a World Championship thing again before (or after) the Direct. Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon tournament. Then finally, they announce Smash for Switch as the final event.

If that's the case, they might want to start advertising it soon . . .

oti

Banned
LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

edit: aaaaaand last post on the page GODDAMN IT

This might be the weirdest interpretation of not holding a live press conference I have ever seen.

I'm hoping they have a World Championship thing again before (or after) the Direct. Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon tournament. Then finally, they announce Smash for Switch as the final event.

If that's the case, they might want to start advertising it soon . . .

A Splatoon 2 tournament has already been announced.

C-RTQklXgAE3yIy.jpg:large

phanphare

Banned
everyone who's bummed by this go watch the january switch thing then watch the april direct and come back and report your findings. also consider what the video game content would have been like presented in the other format.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
How the fuck does having an E3 conference mean if you're having a big E3 or not. Stop with that bs already. I'm tired of it.

Going on YouTube to watch people's reactions is what I do every year now because there's lots and lot of them. People will even make a YouTube video of everyone's reactions in one.

The best friend's reaction to nintendo's 2014 E3 direct was a great time.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
As someone that works in games marketing, we constantly have conversations about the importance on E3 and the relevance of the show. And a key takeaway is how good Nintendo is at owning share of voice for the entirety of the show through multiple events. They generally have a live fan-centric event (Nintendo World Championships), a Direct, and then Treehouse which outperforms every livestream for the remainder of the week. It's an incredibly smart tactic and almost oddly forward thinking approach by them.

Before people start pointing at last year. What would you do? The Switch wasn't ready for an unveil, the 3DS and Wii U lineups were not strong enough to sustain a full show. The only thing they had was Zelda and they knew it, and even then everyone came away blown away by it and it dominated all conversation as it pertained to games playable on the show floor.
Yeah, I remember being blown away by how engaging 2014 was for Nintendo

2017, the 4th year Nintendo is doing this, and people still making up dumb bullshit about this making them irrelevant, not a major player, or not getting media coverage. Come on, you can do better than lying. Build a better narrative.

Yeah, whoever that was that didn't cover Zelda sure fucked up its sales.

Zelda got tons of attention winning game of the show from most publications and it was the only thing they were showcasing.

In the gaming dedicated media, yes. Before Switch being released, there was a lot of skeptcism and doubt of it's success because how badly Wii U failed. Even with Zelda, there was no guarantee it would be a success. It's the reason why the gaming media was skeptical of covering Nintendo products as well. Now that Switch managed to be succesful, things managed to change.

You have no idea what the hell are you talking about.

Really? Then you are obviously the expert, tell me. Why would the media be so confident to highlight Nintendo over Sony and Microsoft after how badly Wii U flopped before Switch was launched?

That's before the switch was released and breaking numbers ;)

Watch all these media outlets begging for coverage now.

Yep I agree, and that's why, IMO, I think Live Conference has better potential for a better mainstream coverage given the Switch sales.

Top Bottom