• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
they can control their directs, the conferences live are usually awkward and annoying

Mediking

Good. Pre-recorded events are more entertaining.

iXqdBoG.gif

Lmao I'm dying. I love GAF.

I don't get people said this a bad move as the media will give less importance to Nintendo.
One would think that media would actually prefer this method instead of having to waste all that time waiting​ in line for a place in a theatre and sitting down for 2h with their laptops in their lap.

I don't get people said this a bad move as the media will give less importance to Nintendo.
One would think that media would actually prefer this method instead of having to waste all that time waiting​ in line for a place in a theatre and sitting down for 2h with their laptops in their lap.

I mean, it's also live-streamed.

...just like a Direct! :p

Shaanyboi

Banned
I can think of afew people who are greatful they don't have to wake up at 6 to fight traffic so they can get there in time.

2013 is one of Nintendos most underrated E3 events.

Pokémon X/Y
Mario Kart 8 reveal
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze reveal
Super Mario 3D World reveal
Wii Party U reveal
Zelda Wind Waker HD
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros reveal
The Wonderful 101

Dude. They've been saying this for 4 years straight now. It's like amnesia kicks in as we approach E3 ever year.

sfried

"It's over Nintendo is FINI-

Oh wait, wrong thread."

Come E3, expect people anticipating every misstep of their presentation to be considered a "meltdown".

NolbertoS

Meh, I'm indifferent. I think Live conferences were a necessity in the pre-internet age. Even liveshows, like American Music Awards, Grammys, Oscars, Miss America pageant are losing viewers every year due to the digital age. I think E3 was awesome and relevant in the 90's and early 2000's but nowadays, people don't really care if stuff isn't live. Also costa of doing live events goes up with each E3 with booth babes, now open to the pubic o more presentation costs, etc. At this point would really not care if Nintendo, Sony or MS did it in a dark closet. Even the Apple reveals are kinda losing steam.

They say the same thing every year and every year more people are watching Nintendo content than anything else, because it's always on for three days straight.

They're also smart about it and announce new games during the Treehouse event (some indies, some first party, usually nothing massive) to keep people interested and watching.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm pretty sure people just want the potential for fuck ups, otherwise the calls for live conferences make no sense. And I guess it's gonna be a yearly tradition that people say Nintendo won't show up cause they have no games, and then Nintendo will be the talk of the week. Treehouse alone will be better than the other conferences, the direct format is just the cherry on top.

Wow, hyperbole as fuck. Better than other conferences? Did u not watch E3 2015,2016?

Just because you're in the minority of not being excited or impressed doesn't mean the millions who watch are not.

Wow, hyperbole as fuck. Better than other conferences? Did u not watch E3 2015,2016?

Just because you're in the minority of not being excited or impressed doesn't mean the millions who watch are not.

They didn't even have an actual Digital Event last year and they went out of it with Zelda sweeping awards.

When they have the content for a good Digital Event, they'll have the potential to beat out the competition, 2014 proved that much.

JoeM86

I maintain what I have said before. Live presentations are great if you're there, but for people at home it's much better to have a more professional pre-recorded thing without flubs and awkward pauses for mostly fake applause.

People point to the handful of good presentations as reasons why, but ignore the dozens of bad to mediocre ones. Thye media never ignores Nintendo when they do this. Nobody does. That's just hyperbolic nonsense by people

I'm fine with this.

watershed

Banned
I'm cool with this. Pre-E3 live tournament, digital event, and 3 days of Treehouse Live is a winning formula and still unique among the big 3.

Last year Nintendo only did two days of Treehouse since they had little content. I fully expect three days of Treehouse this year.

Yeah... that's kinda the point. There is no difference. Acting like that live crowd has any weight on the quality of a show, or even how the media covers it, is incredibly silly. A quality announcement is a quality announcement. A bunch of employees in the crowd cheering at every dumb thing is a bizarre thing to put value on. It's like people who need a laugh track to know when a joke was just told.

hmm nah seems like you just don't get excited in general. i like all the buzz and hype of everyone with similar tastes, i like watching E3 pressers with friends. Its a good time

Let's be real E3's popularity has been dwindling.

There's a reason why they opened it for the public.

vareon

Still finding it hilarious that Nintendo dedicated their last E3 on a single game, and that game happens to be the best game Nintendo ever made.

Still, I'm going to watch at home anyway, so live or recorded doesn't make a difference.

Betty

Banned
I maintain what I have said before. Live presentations are great if you're there, but for people at home it's much better to have a more professional pre-recorded thing without flubs and awkward pauses for mostly fake applause.

No it isn't, the whole fun of E3 is watching the conferences LIVE with everyone else, seeing all the fuck up's and what not is part of the experience.

It's why E3 is so magical.

Directs can be done at any time, E3 comes but once a year.

If they had announced a live show it would be one of the most hyped events.

Betty

Banned
loldrums-1.gif

Look at this, just one glance and it brings back memories, cringy, fun, slightly painful memories!

And let's not forget CROWD REACTIONS.

Yeah we'll all react on here but hearing the cheers and roars of applause when something like a new Metroid or Pokemon or Animal Crossing might be shown is priceless.

Shaanyboi

Banned
hmm nah seems like you just don't get excited in general. i like all the buzz and hype of everyone with similar tastes, i like watching E3 pressers with friends. Its a good time
I get plenty excited. I don't need other peoples' reactions to tell me what I should feel excited about.

phanphare

Banned
No it isn't, the whole fun of E3 is watching the conferences LIVE with everyone else, seeing all the fuck up's and what no is part of the experience.

It's why E3 is so magical.

Directs can be done at any time, E3 comes but once a year.

If they had announced a live show it would be one of the most hyped events.

the whole fun of E3 is the big gaming related announcements. you're making E3 sound like a reality tv show lol. "what happens when you put different gaming executives on stage and make them present through such obstacles like mic failure, excessive feedback, whiffed applause lines, celebrities going off script, controllers not syncing, and audible boos? tune in to find out!"

also Directs can be done at any time but E3 Directs only happen for E3, obviously

loldrums-1.gif

Look at this, just one glance and it brings back memories, cringy, fun, slightly painful memories!

And let's not forget CROWD REACTIONS.

Yeah we'll all react on here but hearing the cheers and roars of applause when something like a new Metroid or Pokemon or Animal Crossing might be shown is priceless.

Why would I care for a live Ravi moment again? I get reactions perfectly fine on YouTube. I'll hear the cheers and applauses of a new Metroid from a smashup of reaction videos on YouTube.

E3 is about the games not the cringiness and the screw ups....

After the awkward moments in the Switch Reveal, I'm cool with sticking with Directs.

It's honestly a better format than a Press Conference Imo.

dickroach

they haven't had an e3 press conference since 2012. the launched a new console without it ever appearing at e3.

this isn't the slightest bit surprising.

Betty

Banned
the whole fun of E3 is the big gaming related announcements. you're making E3 sound like a reality tv show lol. "what happens when you put different gaming executives on stage and make them present through such obstacles like mic failure, excessive feedback, whiffed applause lines, celebrities going off script, controllers not syncing, and audible boos? tune in to find out!"

also Directs can be done at any time but E3 Directs only happen for E3, obviously

Yeah it is, it is a reality show, one of the best ever!

And again, CROWD REACTIONS, worth their weight in gold.

The Sony 2015 E3 was legendary for reactions to Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII, that's what E3 is to most of us.

Vanille

Lame, but probably for the best. I don't think Nintendo is capable of putting together a competent press conference in their current state.

phanphare

Banned

The Sony 2015 E3 was legendary for reactions to Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII, that's what E3 is to most of us.

the crowd reactions? worth their weight in gold? yeah gonna go ahead and disagree

also the memorable reactions from sony's 2015 e3 presser were from restreamers like gametrailers. the same restreamers that will be restreaming whatever Nintendo does.

for me E3 is all about the announcements. don't care at all about the reality tv presentation aspect of it. didn't realize that was a thing tbh.

I feel like I'm reading a post made by Trump in a way lol.

Anyways the crowd wasn't what made it "legendary" it was the games and reactions from online like this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XUMdx3ezW9s

Nanashrew

Banned
Let's be real E3's popularity has been dwindling.

There's a reason why they opened it for the public.

Yep. I also remember Dan Rycket posting pics last year or the year before showing how empty some areas were. Normally these areas would be occupied by game publishers and have booths, but they were empty dark areas. Lack of publishers attending can also mean less money for E3 as well.

Most crowd reactions are done by a paid audience far in the back or those high seats. Most journalists are not the ones clapping or reacting big, they're jotting stuff down and tweeting about the event or complaining about the shill in the back who are loud.

Hero

Nintendo has been doing this for years, it shouldn't be a surprise. Live conferences are a thing of the past. Only a matter of time until the others join in.

Top Bottom